Old 26th April 2014, 07:44   #1
jimieo

visualizer plugin not remembering last position...

I'm having trouble understanding what is going on. I had this problem once before but I do not remember how I managed to solve it.

I use Classic Spectrum Analyzer as my default Visual plugin. The only other plugins I use are Advanced mIRC Integration Plugin and the config plugin to accompany that.

Everything was working fine before.. Winamp would open CSA just below the main window as I intended. I could move winamp around the screen, close it and reopen. Everything opened where it should.

For some reason, now CSA is not opening below winamp. It's "remembering" some other location that I have not used. I've tried uninstalling the plugin and reinstalling. Nothing has fixed this yet.

It's not a taxing thing to just move it, but I'm a little OCD and want it just so.

I would appreciate any help.
jimieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 12:06   #2
DrO

first see if there is an update of the plug-in available as not all plug-ins correctly save their settings in the Winamp settings folder due to trying to save in the Winamp program folder. if there is not an update then you should try to raise the issue with the plug-in developer directly.

if that doesn't help then you'd need to provide an info tool report (how to do that is in the sticky threads) and then a possible work around can be suggested (as the info tool report will give some information about your Winamp and OS install).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 23:01   #3
jimieo

Last night I did a complete fresh install of winamp and my plugins.. It was working fine again. Until a few moments ago. No settings were changed.. I've attached a report from the winamp info tool.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread and offering your help. I do appreciate it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_04-26-2014.txt (27.2 KB, 166 views)
Old 26th April 2014, 23:27   #4
DrO

i've managed to find a copy of the plug-in and it's doing as i suspected (the plug-in will only store it's settings in the Winamp\Plugins folder in Program Files instead of using the Winamp settings folder.

as you're on Windows 8.1, i'm wondering if you only notice it after closing Winamp after having installed it.

as such, you're either going to need to:

allow Winamp to always run as an Administrator (so the plug-in can save it's settings in the location it's trying to do) - that is generally not recommended and the version of Winamp you're using will complain about such things (but it can be disabled if needed).
or
you can enable write permissions on the Winamp folder (and sub-folders) so it can be run without Administrator access).
or
email the author (is details in the about dialog) to get them to update it - which i doubt will happen since there's been no sign of them since 2008)
or
hope someone can provide a patch for the plug-in to force it to save its settings into the correct location instead of where it's trying to do it currently.

one of those should be enough to sort you out with the issue with this plug-in.
Old 26th April 2014, 23:43   #5
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Seems like "allow Winamp to run as an Administrator" (and the next one) could fix a lot of potential problems (like the one on this post) of Winamp on Win8. I wonder if there is some place where we could post this kind of solutions.. some thread like "Winamp and Windows 8 known bugs and fixes".. (I imagine there are a lot more of tricks / issues too..)
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 23:50   #6
DrO

running programs as an administrator is a final resort and is really not something that should be done (it's like running everything on a linux machine as root i.e. not something you're meant to do or should do unless absolutely needed) which is why plug-ins have had access to an API since v2.9x which indicated where they should save settings. which a plug-in from 2007 should have used from the start (as that functionality was already 4-5 years old).

and i'm sure it's stated in one of the sticky threads somewhere, but this is a common thing with 3rd party plug-ins (more so the older you go back) as no one gave a toss about being compatible with current Winamp releases (being 2.x compatible so you can run in other programs which support Winamp plug-ins is one of the core reasons for that).

if i had the time i'd knock up a more generic plug-in wrapper which could be used to at least redirect the ini writing aspects (though i'm starting to think something like that really needs to be natively built-in to winamp.exe (or a supporting w5s based service) like done with the unicode taskbar fixer).
Old 27th April 2014, 03:56   #7
jimieo

I went to my Winamp folder and tried to change it from read only. clicked apply and OK. Right clicked it again to make sure it worked. It didn't.. Still shows as Read Only.

Hmm. Do you think installing Winamp to another folder (outside of the program files folder) would eliminate the problem?

EDIT: I tried it. Everything seems to be saving as it should.

Thanks for the time and help.
Old 27th April 2014, 13:20   #8
DrO

I completely forgot about that option as some plug-ins hard code the path to use - at least this one doesn't so you've got the best work around to be able to use it without having to mess with other windows settings (I really should have remembered that option but was late and had been a long day when I posted).

at least you've got a solution now so that's the main thing.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support