Old 15th January 2004, 09:34   #81
james
Forum PFY
(Major Dude)

My console collection:

Why get consoles when a PC is so much more versatile?

He uses statistics like a drunk uses lamp-posts: for support, not illumination.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 09:50   #82
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I can think of a lot of reason, not having to constantly upgrade your hardware, not having to constantly patch games to run on your system, there is a lot to be said for wacking a CD in and hitting go.

PC's also tend to be tucked away into specific rooms, places around the house and are usually not somewhere central within the living space, consloes can be a more family/friends orientated kind of thing, sitting under the TV in the living room makes it a bit more of a social experience as opposed to vanishing off to the "pc" room

My consoles sit under my plasma dispay in the front room, friends come around, we sit in nice comfy armchairs, playing games,drinking beer, having a laugh, can't say the same would happen if I asked them around to crowd around my PC monitor that is in the spare room where my PC lives.

The only place PC's win over consoles to any great extent is in the online conectivity area, while home consoles are heading towards this area, the PC's are and probably always will be miles ahead, but there again, where is the social experience in that?, again , sitting by your lonesome , probably in some specific PC kind of room, fragging some other geek on the other side of the planet.

PC's have to break into the living rooms of the world more before they can really lay claim to being the hub of a family gaming system.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 10:33   #83
james
Forum PFY
(Major Dude)

hmm.

it appears I may be pwnt.

He uses statistics like a drunk uses lamp-posts: for support, not illumination.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 11:12   #84
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Not necessarily so, I'll agree with you that PC's will always offer a better high end gaming experience than your average console, that's probably down to the continual increase in available technology and the flexibility of being able to open the box up and slot in some new memory/vid card etc etc.

You'll never get the same degree of flexibility with a console, due to it's fixed nature.

It's a bit of a double edged sword really, people like that fact they can buy a console, plug it in and right off the mark play games on it with little or no effort, and on the other side, people like PC's for the reasons stated above, more grunt under the hood, more flexibility.

In an ideal world, Consoles would be more flexible, and PC's would be more friendly towards the casual gamer , of course when that happens we will have the perfect entertainment device that can sit happily in our living rooms and provide high def video playback/recording/audio playback and some degree of highly flexible gaming all in one.

In some respect, that's where I see Microsoft heading with the xbox, they have the PC technology on their side, and I think ultimately in a couple of years you will see Xbox two as a natural replacement for your console/dvd/VHS/CD player and still probably be using it to surf the net from your armchair, Sony have realised this and made a start with the PSX or whatever it's called, the console/DVD recorder/TV tuner thing they have going in Japan.

Only Nintendo stay on the outside of this, choosing to provide what they see as a "pure gaming experience", and while they are to be applauded for taking this route, it may ultimately not be the route to go, we generally want our gadgets to do more than one thing these days, Nintendo will either realise this and go with the flow, or stick to what they do now and more than likely loose out to all the other players, which will be massively sad.

So to go back to the original point, I like my consoles, I'm a casual gamer, my PC is for other things, I love the fact that I can sit down, switch on my cube and within 20 seconds or so be up and running, my damd PC won't even boot up in that time, never mind get ready to play as well
Old 16th January 2004, 02:13   #85
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

HOWEVER, All the systems I have right at this moment don't even come CLOSE to how much I'm spending on this computer I am sitting in front of right now.
DragonSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2004, 02:22   #86
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Hey Sarge, look, another limited edition Jap only GBA famicom edition...
http://pocket.ign.com/articles/462/....html?fromint=1
Grr!

On a more off the wall topic... What is the bit rating on the Xbox? Does it use a 32-bit processor? I'm just curious.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2004, 03:07   #87
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

128 bit. You're way off buddy.
DragonSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2004, 05:16   #88
sgtfuzzbubble011

Ok then, it's the same bit rating as the Cube then. I was curious because the Xbox is basically a stripped down PC, so I figured it might use a PC processor (ie, a 32-bit processor). I find it kind of interesting how game consoles have taken a route where they churn out more work per clock cycle whereas computers churn out faster cycle speeds. Basically, my GameCube has about the same raw processing power as my 2ghz Hewlett Packard. Is there a reason why the manufacturers decided to do this? What's the advantage of more work per cycle over faster cycle speeds?
Old 17th January 2004, 19:29   #89
dam
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to dam
I thought the Xbox used a PIII 700.
dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2004, 19:43   #90
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

It does...

xbox
CPU Intel Pentium III
Clock speed 733 MHz
RAM 64 Mb
Audio 64-bit
Hard drive 8 Gb
DVD drive 2x-5x
Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels

Cube
MPU Custom IBM Power PC "Gekko"
Clock speed 485 MHz
System memory 40 Mb
Main memory 24 Mb MoSys 1T-SRAM
A-Memory 16 Mb DRAM (81 MHz)
Hard drive 1.5 Gb
Disc drive CAV system

ps2
CPU 128-bit 'Emotion Engine'
Clock speed 294 MHz
RAM 32 Mb
VRAM 4 Mb cache
Graphics 150 MHz
DVD drive 2x-5x

Specifications from here.
http://www.whatconsole.co.uk/
Old 17th January 2004, 23:37   #91
sgtfuzzbubble011

Ok then, that means that the Xbox has almost as much processing power as a 3ghz 32-bit computer then. Interesting.

Also, I recieved a lovely black Game Boy Pocket in the mail today. Now my Game Boy collection is complete. Thanks whiteflip. Oh, and the anti-static bag you put it in is a very nice touch.

*updates system list*

3 GameCubes (one Platinum, one Black, one Black w/ bundled Zelda disc)
2 N64s (one original, one Smoke)
4 SNESs (three originals, one GenII)
1 NES (original)
2 GBA-SPs (one Platinum, one Cobalt)
1 GBA (Platinum)
1 Game Boy Color (Atomic Purple)
1 Game Boy Pocket (Black)
1 Game Boy (original)

10 consoles and 6 handhelds.

Old 19th January 2004, 07:36   #92
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Your welcome. I try to do things professionally.

To clear things up. The XBox has a 32 BIT Penitum 3 processor at 733 mhz with a 250mhz Nvidia GPU
http://www.xbreporter.com/xbox_syste...ifications.php

The Gamecube is a 485mhz PPC processor with a 162mhz ATI GPU
http://www.psreporter.com/gamecube_specifications.html

The PS2 runs a 128bit 300mhz processor. Its GPU is kinda flaky. Apparently its software driven and runs at 147.456mhz.
http://www.geocities.com/raibee/spec.html

I don't know the bitrate for the Gamecube but I would assume that its 128bit. Still the biggest problems for all systems is RAM I think. For the PS2 its that and bus bandwidth.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 21:02   #93
sgtfuzzbubble011

I believe the GameCube is indeed 128-bit, but I can't be positive. I haven't seen anything that would suggest otherwise, though. And if the Cube's processor is actually 128-bit, then that would mean that it is way more powerful than the X-box is (if it is really using a 32-bit processor). Even if the Cube's processor were only 64-bit, then it's still more powerful than the X-box's... That seems kinda strange. That site says that the Box uses a Custom Pentium III. Anyone else think that maybe that means it's got a higher bit rating than a regular Pentium III? Just a thought.

And yes, I agree that RAM is probably the biggest slowdown for all the consoles.
Old 20th January 2004, 05:22   #94
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

No its a 32bit PIII just some cache tinkering that differentiates it from a normal PIII i think. If not its the socket design that makes it different (so as not to take out the PIII and put in a better PIII)

Lets look at system facts

GameCube:
Sound Performance: 64 simultaneous channels
Polygon Performance: 6 to 12 million polygons per second (peak)
Main Memory Bandwidth: 2.6 GB per second (peak)

XBox:
Max Polygon Performance 125 million per second
Audio Channels 256
Memory Bandwidth 6.4 GB/sec bus

I'm trying to find more common system specs to both systems.

I'm Back?
Old 20th January 2004, 05:39   #95
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

http://www.xboxmagonline.com/xbox/info/xbox_spec.html
GameCube has a lot of N/A. I wonder why Nintendo would choose not to disclose important system information such as this. Perhaps it is to mislead consumers into buying an inferiorly powered console? I'm just conjecturizing. And no talk about which has better games. Thats completely relative to the individual.

I'm Back?
Old 20th January 2004, 11:16   #96
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
I believe the GameCube is indeed 128-bit, but I can't be positive.
i think i read it was 64, if i find a source i'll let you know.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2004, 22:50   #97
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
whiteflip said...
http://www.xboxmagonline.com/xbox/info/xbox_spec.html
GameCube has a lot of N/A. I wonder why Nintendo would choose not to disclose important system information such as this. Perhaps it is to mislead consumers into buying an inferiorly powered console? I'm just conjecturizing. And no talk about which has better games. Thats completely relative to the individual.
I wouldn't believe anything on that stats page... I didn't even read all of it and I already noticed at least two things wrong with the specs they have on the Cube. First, the processor clock speed is 485mhz, not 405. And the RAM is 40megs, not 43. And I also seriously doubt that the Cube's memory card is only half a meg.

Besides, that page is two and a half years old now.
Old 21st January 2004, 22:55   #98
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Take it from Ninty themselves....
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/e...gcn_topic2.jsp
Old 21st January 2004, 22:57   #99
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
whiteflip said...
No its a 32bit PIII just some cache tinkering that differentiates it from a normal PIII i think. If not its the socket design that makes it different (so as not to take out the PIII and put in a better PIII)

Lets look at system facts

GameCube:
Sound Performance: 64 simultaneous channels
Polygon Performance: 6 to 12 million polygons per second (peak)
Main Memory Bandwidth: 2.6 GB per second (peak)

XBox:
Max Polygon Performance 125 million per second
Audio Channels 256
Memory Bandwidth 6.4 GB/sec bus

I'm trying to find more common system specs to both systems.
If that's the case, then how could the Xbox have polygon performance ratings that much higher than the Cube? I'm pretty sure that the Cube has to at least be 64-bit, and even at that rating, it should still be kicking the Box's ass in that area. 12 million compared to 125 million? That sounds fishy to me.
Old 21st January 2004, 23:00   #100
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Mr Jones said...
Take it from Ninty themselves....
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/e...gcn_topic2.jsp
I did. That's why I said what I said.
Old 22nd January 2004, 00:08   #101
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Fuck I cant find ANY good site with information on all the systems and is acurate. Can't find XBOX specs on XBOX.com which makes me sad.

So I went here.
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/xbox1.htm
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/gamecube1.htm
So far I have no reason to doubt these guys at what they say/do. So this should be pretty acurate information for system preformance analysis.

The polygonal count for xbox and gamecube seem to add up to what other sources have said. I suspec that for the xbox this polygonal count is when its running in 480i.

I'm Back?
Old 22nd January 2004, 00:30   #102
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
...from HowStuffWorks.com
Polygons are the building blocks of 3-D graphic images. Increasing the number polygons results in sharper, more detailed images. The graphics processor also supports high resolutions of up to 1920x1080 pixels. For comparison, the PlayStation 2 has a 150-MHz graphics processor and produces 70 million polygons per second. The GameCube has a 162-MHz graphics processor and produces 12 million polygons per second. It should be pointed out that the PlayStation 2 and Xbox figures are theoretical top speeds -- it's unlikely that your system will reach that limit. Nintendo's figure is considered a more realistic number for its console.
Right. On Nintendo.com it states...

Quote:
6 million to 12 million polygons/second (Peak) (Assuming actual game conditions with complex models, fully textured, fully lit, etc.)
The Xbox and PS2 figures are only theoretical limits. The GameCube figure is actually what it shows on your TV screen. I bet that if it were possible to count how many polygons are on the screen at any one point in time while playing an Xbox or PS2 game, you'd find that the numbers are much, much smaller. I'm sure they're probably quite close to the Cube's figure.
Old 22nd January 2004, 02:25   #103
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Im sure the XBOX is still well above the Cube and the Cube is well above the PS2.

I'm Back?
Old 23rd January 2004, 00:59   #104
sgtfuzzbubble011

The Xbox isn't as far ahead as you might think.
Old 24th January 2004, 02:22   #105
sgtfuzzbubble011

Stopped by the mall this evening to make my rounds and talk with a few of my friends that work there... Went into the GameStop and found a Clear Game Boy Pocket that's still in the box and never been played. (!) I snatched that one up real quick-like. It'll go great with the black one that whiteflip gave to me.

*updates system list*

1 NES (original)
1 GBA (Platinum)
2 Game Boy Pockets (one Black, one Clear)
1 Game Boy (original)

10 consoles and 7 handhelds.
Old 25th January 2004, 08:36   #106
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

now you have one that works well

I'm Back?
Old 25th January 2004, 09:51   #107
sgtfuzzbubble011

I already played the one you sent me. It works fine. The contrast is really touchy like you said, but the buttons seem to work ok.
Old 1st February 2004, 20:22   #108
sgtfuzzbubble011

Stopped by the flea market this afternoon on my way home from a little family trip to Percy Quinn State Park (very nice place). I found a guy selling a bunch of Nintendo shtuff, so I decided to stop and see what he had. I ended up buying an original NES and a copy of the original Metal Gear. He gave me a copy of Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt with the NES, too. The system is in really great shape sans a little chip on one of the corners, but other than that, it's almost perfect. Total for the system, two games, one controller, and all the connections was $43. At the GameTraders and GameXchange stores, they want upwards of $70 just for the system. (!) I think I got a decent deal.

*updates system list*

2 NESs (original)
1 GBA (Platinum)
1 Game Boy (original)

11 consoles and 7 handhelds.
Old 5th February 2004, 22:06   #109
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Hey sarge, still fancy a limited edition style japan only GBA....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18809

Old 5th February 2004, 22:48   #110
sgtfuzzbubble011

"Current Bid: US $570.00"

Ha! That would keep the gas tank in my truck filled for almost four months. As much as I'd love to have that Game Boy, they can kiss my ass.
Old 6th February 2004, 00:02   #111
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

That would keep the gas tank in my sedan filled for a year. I want the White and Red one. I don't have an SP and its not very high on the list of things to get but If I can find a white and red one for less than the MSRP I will probably buy.

I'm Back?
Old 6th February 2004, 01:55   #112
sgtfuzzbubble011

I'll be quite content with my Dual Tone GBAsp when I get it (along with Zero Mission) Monday after I get off of work.
Old 8th February 2004, 18:32   #113
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Yay for me!!! I was going to buy a N64 this weekend due to some upcoming ass whuppin', but, my cousin gave me his, he hadn't touched it in over a year! What a shame. Any who, he and I ran around looking for controllers, found two shark pads at a card shop, picked up Killer Instinct Gold and Mortal Kombat 4 for $15 each. But MK4 is borked and I have to return it. The games he had and gave to me are Turok 2, a Tony Hawk game, Star Wars 1 pod racing, and Perfect Dark which I never even heard about. But, I'm still looking for Mario Kart, someone has never played that one I'm gonna kick his butt on that
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2004, 02:07   #114
sgtfuzzbubble011

Mmmmhmmm... wonder who that could be.

I bet I would kick your ass at Mario Kart, though.
Old 11th February 2004, 01:55   #115
sgtfuzzbubble011

Stopped by GameStop earlier this evening to pick up Metroid - Zero Mission, and while I was there, I picked up a Limited Edition Dual Color Platinum/Onyx Game Boy Advance SP. A rather spendy night totalling about $139 after tax... I won't be spending any more money for a couple weeks now.

*updates system list*

2 NESs (original)
3 GBA-SPs (one Platinum, one Cobalt, one dual-tone Platinum/Onyx)
1 GBA (Platinum)
1 Game Boy (original)

11 consoles and 8 handhelds
Old 11th February 2004, 05:47   #116
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Do you have more consoles than games per console? This includes handhelds.

I'm Back?
Old 12th February 2004, 00:40   #117
sgtfuzzbubble011

Let's see...

Consoles = 11
Handhelds = 8
Consoles + Handhelds = 19
Total games for consoles and handhelds = ~100

100 / 19 = 5.26

I have 5.26 games per console.

Old 12th February 2004, 08:22   #118
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

You should have as many games per console as the number of consoles owned. Why you ask? Because then you would have a shit load of games and knowing you sarge you would have a shit load of high quality games.

I'm Back?
Old 12th February 2004, 22:32   #119
sgtfuzzbubble011

Just give me a little time... I'll get there.
Old 21st February 2004, 22:43   #120
sgtfuzzbubble011

Mwahaha... I stopped by the flea market again this afternoon and saw the same guy I bought that NES from last time, and this time he had about four times the amount of game shtuff that he had last time. I ended up buying another NES. He had three of them, and this one is in almost perfect condition. Even the stickers on the bottom are in great shape. Again, he charged $35 for the system, but this time, it came with two controllers instead of one, and it came with a grey Zapper gun. And as usual, it had the connections, power supply, and a copy of Mario / Duck Hunt. I ended up buying a couple more games along with it, too. I'm sad, I know.

*updates system list*

3 NESs (original)
3 GBA-SPs (one Platinum, one Cobalt, one dual-tone Platinum/Onyx)
1 GBA (Platinum)
1 Game Boy (original)

12 consoles and 8 handhelds
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center