Old 23rd July 2007, 18:16   #1
tmr250z

Media Library not Displaying all Artists Names

I'm using Winamp 5.35, on XP Home, with no extra plugins other than the ones that come default with Winamp and I'm using the Classic skin.

I have all my songs properly tagged with ID3v2 tags with Artist, Song Title, and Album using Mp3tag.

My problem is that less than half of my songs Artists names are displaying in the Media Library even though all my songs are tagged with them. I searched the forum for this problem and all I found was that this problem several versions ago, was caused by a bad MP3 plugin, but like I said, I don't have any other plugins installed.

Can someone help fix this?
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:42   #2
triniallan

Convert the ID3 tags to v2.4 to fix tag problems

I had a similar problem. Some of my tags were out of order, that is the Artist name and Title were cross referenced ie, mixed up. I converted the ID3 tags to version 2.4. I used the latest version of Itunes v7.3.1.3 but I assume you can use any tag editor that will convert the tags to v 2.4
triniallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 01:40   #3
tmr250z

The ID3 tags are already version 2.4, according to Mp3tag and they are correctly tagged.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions to fix this problem?
Old 25th July 2007, 00:49   #4
tmr250z

Come on, a little help please.
Old 25th July 2007, 01:55   #5
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Did you install any other third-party decoders, such as MP3Pro or mpg123? If so, remove them. If not, check out the post at the top of the forum that says: "FAQ: Troubleshooters; Information Required When Posting; READ THIS FIRST !"

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 03:46   #6
tmr250z

I don't have any other third-party decoders installed and I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't work either. So here's my info, hope it's everything you need:

-Gateway 7330GZ Notebook computer
-Mobile Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz & 480MB RAM
-Conexant AMC Audio
-Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
-Windows XP Home (5.1.2600) Service Pack 2
-DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
-Winamp 5.35 Pro
-List of Plugins below
-I chose shared user settings on the multi-user page of the installer options
-Installed on Administrator account
-All music is mp3

Below I've attached one of the mp3 files with the problem that I'm talking: The Song Title and Album Title displays in the Media Library but not the Artist's name. I've attached a HijackThis log and dxdiag log as well. Please help because I really want to fix this problem. I was using foobar2000 for awhile, but I really want to use Winamp again exclusively (they all display in foobar2000 correctly BTW).

Edit: Can't get the attachment to work so here's the sendspcace link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0bl8oe
Old 25th July 2007, 09:45   #7
flocksoft
Major Dude

you're right! I confirm such behaviour

(in the attachment the tags as downloaded before any modifications)

- the tags in file is id3v2.4
- Winamp should be able the read id3v2.4 tags (but don't write them)
- adding the file in Winamp, the artist field is missing
- rewriting with mp3Tag the tags in id3v2.4 format, the artist field appears, but the title field disappears
- converting with mp3Tag id3v2.4 -> id3v2.3, Winamp read all the information without problems

so a workaround could be to convert with mp3Tag all the tags to id3v2.3 (and refresh your Media Library in Winamp)
Attached Images
File Type: png tag.png (53.4 KB, 234 views)
flocksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 09:57   #8
flocksoft
Major Dude

maybe a bug reading id3v2.4 tags

a deeper test:

- starting from the original file, remove just the comment field (1.527 characters) with mp3Tag
- save the tag (also in id3v2.4 format), now Winamp reads well the tags

so the problem (at least in this file) is the (long?) comment field in id3v2.4 format, like a overflow error; this is strange because id3v2.x has pratically no size limitation for tags

someone can confirm this?

the problematic comment field:
Throughout their nine-year career, Nickelback have stayed true to their roots, releasing five CDs of straight-up, unapologetic rock & roll. So how have things changed for the Canadian boys since the massive success of Silver Side Up and The Long Road? Well, brothers Chad and Mike Kroeger still live in the Great White North, and they still write hook-laden rock songs. The only difference now is that they have the satisfaction, 10 million CDs later, of smugly knowing that even some of their biggest naysayers will guiltily admit to singing along with Nickelback's catchy hits. On All the Right Reasons, one track definitely ranks high up in hum-ability: the first single, "Photograph," reminisces about the bittersweetness of high school in a small town--once again reconfirming frontman Chad Kroeger's ability to write memorable hooks. Regarding the rest of the disc: standard rock topics like love, lust, jealousy, and breakups abound, with riff-y delivery that longtime fans will love. The guilty pleasure bunch will also find what they need within the grooves, on the ballad "If Everyone Cared," the riff-heavy "Fight for All the Wrong Reasons," and the Metallica-inspired "Savin' Me." The disc's most impressive and simultaneously surreal moment, however, exists on "Side of a Bullet," a passionate revenge tale written about the killer of Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, which features one of the late Abbott's guitar solos as donated by Pantera bandmate and brother, drummer Vinnie Paul. --Denise Sheppard
Old 25th July 2007, 17:00   #9
tmr250z

Well now we are getting somewhere.
Okay, thanks for the info, flocksoft.
I'm going to try your suggestions above and get back to you to tell you if it works out.
Old 25th July 2007, 19:15   #10
tmr250z

Alright, that was it. I can confirm that you are right.

- Converting with mp3Tag ID3v2.4 to ID3v2.3, Winamp read all the information without problems : Yes

- Remove just the comment field (1.527 characters) with mp3Tag and save the tag in ID3v2.4 format), now Winamp reads the tags correctly : Yes

So thanks a lot, but if it is as you said and ID3v2.x has practically no size limitation for tags and Winamp is supposed to be able to read them correctly, this is a problem with Winamp and should be fixed.
Old 27th October 2007, 15:53   #11
flocksoft
Major Dude

@tmr250z

please, can you post again the link to the file (because the link is dead), thank you
Old 27th October 2007, 21:21   #12
tmr250z

Sorry, flocksoft, I no longer have most of those files. Although I still have that particular Nickelback mp3, I've removed the comments from all of my mp3s, including that one because of what was discovered in this thread. And on any new mp3 files I get, I remove any comments that may be written on them. I've also upgraded to Winamp 5.5, installed the in_mp3.dll patch, and I am still removing the comments to prevent this problem altogether.
Old 28th October 2007, 22:51   #13
flocksoft
Major Dude

of course, I'm not interested in Nickelback, but just further investingations with the new build

bye
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support