Old 2nd October 2005, 20:04   #1
aagha

Unhappy ml_ipod itunes conflict caused iPod factory restore

NOTE: Before I started playing around with ml_ipod, I backed up all my music to a seperate HD just in case there was some funky-ness (and there was...)

I eagerly tried out ml_ipod this morning and was pretty excited when I got it up and running.

However, one of the things I found was that the only way I could get my iPod to work with ml_ipod was to make to always show up as a drive. When it wasn't set to do this, it would temporarily appear in Winamp, and then dissapear. So, I set it to show up as a drive--no big deal.

I noticed however that Winamp wouldn't recognize my iPod unless iTunes was up and running--is this common, or something that only I have a problem with? I'd like to know from others.

Then, I got stung: I had Winamp running (had shut-down iTunes earlier), re-started iTunes, and as I waited for my iPod to be recognized by iTunes, I got a message saying that my iPod couldn't be recognzied and I needed to use the Apple updater to reset it to the factory defaults. I tried to re-start my PC a couple of times, and with Winamp running or not, iTunes kept on trowing up the same message.

I did a little Googling, and found this post to try to "repair" my iTunes installation, but no luck:

iPod Service

Finally, I had to update my iPod to factory settings, and am now re-loading it with my music library.

What I'd like to know is how others are using Winamp w/ ml_ipod. When you have your computer on, what do you first?

A. Plug in your iPod?
B. Start Winamp first?
C. Start iTunes (doesn't it automagically come up when you plug in your iPod)?

Basically, what are your steps?

Also, do you let Winamp and iTunes run at the same time? Is that a no-no? Would it cause some possible syncing conflict?

I'm trying to determine how I need to move forward without running into this same problem again.
aagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2005, 10:15   #2
oZZies

"I noticed however that Winamp wouldn't recognize my iPod unless iTunes was up and running--is this common, or something that only I have a problem with? I'd like to know from others."

When I started using ml_iPod, I had iTunes installed on my pc also. It gave me some problems to. Recently I did a clean install of my Windows XP and decided only to install ml_iPod. It works perfect. I believe that one should not install iTunes or the iPod updater together with ml_iPod on the same computer.

My solution: I install the iPod updater software on my laptop. Here I update my mini. Than I connect my mini to my pc with ml_iPod and the first thing I do is "format iPod". From then on I have discovered zero errors (except for the "eject" error I get, but that is an insignificant error for me).

/edit

to answer your question:
1) start winamp
2) connect mini
3) give it some time and it appears in winamp

If you want your iPod not to show up as a drive, you can install "powertoys for windows xp" (if you're running XP offcourse :P )

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

you need to have "TweakUI". With this prog you can hide drives in XP.

/edit

Hope this helped you. Grtz
oZZies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2005, 16:41   #3
aagha

That's a great suggestion, oZZies, but I guess the one down-side of doing that would be that you could no longer update/search podcasts through iTunes, right? Do you know another way to manage Apple's podcasts?
aagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion