Old 12th March 2008, 14:12   #1
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Thumbs up Baby news / Wikipedia on iPhone

Just in case you're wondering why I'm so inactive in the forum for the last couple of days, and nothing going on on the patch site either:
We just had our baby, on monday night. So we're a happy five person family now Yes, think about it, there is more to live than iPods and software.

And some more news: Some weeks ago I stumbled upon a GREAT application for you iPhone and iPod touch owners: wiki2touch. Having the complete Wikipedia articles offline on your device! No wifi, no EDGE, but the knowledge of mankind in your pocket. I'm thrilled. And I joined the dev team there to smoothen some things in the deployment process. Have a look, that tool is simply awesome:
* wiki2touch Homepage
* wiki2touch Blog
* wiki2touch Forum

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 17:33   #2
Stupifier
Major Dude

CONGRAT's! Thats some fantastic news. Good to hear.

@The Wiki News
so Wait a second.....ALL WIKIPEDIA offline on your iPhone. How much space would that take up....wow. No way you could fit the complete Wikipedia articles, could you?
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 19:00   #3
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

It's around 3GB for the English Wikipedia (text only), and 1.3GB for the German one. Images can be loaded optionally, but they require a lot of space. I have 450000 images packed for the German edition now, which is almost 3GB.
So, yes, for a 8GB device it's too much to have all the images. But text only is quite possible, and is still a lot of fun. I use it daily, very often.
A 32GB iTouch would be the best device. I wish I had one. Maybe this summer, when my sister comes to visit us, she'll take one from the States to me...

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 07:16   #4
SyntaxGS

Congrats abu!

80GB iPod (5.5G) // Latest Winamp // Latest ml_iPod
SyntaxGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion