Old 21st November 2013, 17:01   #1
LeoMcFly

Release the source code!

You're closing...
Winamp is a great Music Player, but there's a lot of work to do (integration with music stream services, linux port, bug fix, updates ecc)
Why don't you release winamp's (and winamp for android) source code under a free license (like the GPL for example)? Thats a big christmas gift you can do for all the community.
A lot of companies (Like RedHat, Intel, Google ecc) release the source code of their products in a free license, because the community can help with the development of them...
Please. Let the llama still live
LeoMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 17:29   #2
thinktink
Forum King

Probably not going to happen since there is non-free code probably protected by an AOL proprietary protection schema that AOL probably does not want released...

...probably...
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 21:05   #3
Klausi2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
... there is non-free code probably protected by an AOL proprietary protection schema that AOL probably does not want released...

...probably...

So what. There is always the option to remove the non-free code, if that not breaks the whole application...

AOL has produced trillion tons of AOL CD's at the '90th, releasing the source code will be a great reparation for that ^^

euer-radio.de - Shoutcast Radio/TV from Germany since 2006
Klausi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 21:30   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klausi2007 View Post
AOL has produced trillion tons of AOL CD's at the '90th, releasing the source code will be a great reparation for that ^^
hahahahaha

made my day really,
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:23   #5
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
...option to remove the non-free code, if that not breaks the whole application...
And who's going to foot the bill to remove all the proprietary, non-free, royalty-payment-required source code with that team of CYA lawyers on standby to verify that nothing potentially infringing remains in the source code oi?

Again, not gonna happen...

...probably...

...very probably...
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:13   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I think Frankel should take 5.66 and do it anonymously if no one else will. I'm sure he still has friends there and can get the source, and seed the code... if he wants to.

let me add a caveat that AOL should be given a couple years to find a buyer first. "Winamp" is a very strong brand name, and it could sell. but if it doesn't, open source would be better than death. fragmentation is not necessarily a bad thing.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 23:09   #7
thinktink
Forum King

You know the first thing I'd do if Winamp went open source? I'd browse all the headers and find out how to interface the JNetLib Wasabi interface and a number of other API related stuffings.
Old 22nd November 2013, 23:53   #8
DrO

that stuff will be made available where I can for the 5.66 SDK, just it may take until January until it's properly done...
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 01:56   #9
osmosis
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
I think Frankel should take 5.66 and do it anonymously if no one else will. I'm sure he still has friends there and can get the source, and seed the code... if he wants to.

let me add a caveat that AOL should be given a couple years to find a buyer first. "Winamp" is a very strong brand name, and it could sell. but if it doesn't, open source would be better than death. fragmentation is not necessarily a bad thing.
Yup, one fork always becomes/remains dominant, look at Firefox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
And who's going to foot the bill to remove all the proprietary, non-free, royalty-payment-required source code with that team of CYA lawyers on standby to verify that nothing potentially infringing remains in the source code oi?

Again, not gonna happen...

...probably...

...very probably...
Could do proprietary blobs for closed-source portions?

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 10:19   #10
Zypher76

Quote:
So what. There is always the option to remove the non-free code, if that not breaks the whole application...

AOL doesn't think "Free", AOL think $ ...
So, if they spent millions of $(80 million USD) when they bought winamp in 1999, why should they just give it to people now?
They think like this: "We kill winamp and majority will start using our own(lame) products instead!".
It is the hard truth!

Unless nobody will buy winamp, of course!

Personally I wish and hope that winamp will survive! Now, there is only one cure to us, trusted winamp users, it's TIME! We have to wait and see what will happen!
Zypher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 09:32   #11
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
if we would know a price, we could think about a donation project for this,
just like it has been done for blender

lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 10:39   #12
rockouthippie
Banned

Blender is GNU Public license. That's not the same thing,

Quote:
breaks the whole application...
Winamp minus code AOL licensed and does not own is not a media player anymore. If you made Winamp today, you wouldn't go about it the same way at all. It's so not the way you'd go about it.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 06:00   #13
dreamlayers

Releasing only some parts is better than releasing nothing at all. Missing parts can be replaced.

For example, suppose MP3 decoding can't be released because it's licensed from Fraunhofer. That seems like a big deal, but actually it just means you need another MP3 decoder plugin. There already is at least one other existing plugin: the libmad plugin. Even if there wasn't you could easily implement a plugin using free libraries.
dreamlayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 07:15   #14
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

"Releasing only some parts is better than releasing nothing at all. Missing parts can be replaced. "... Yes, You are right, dreamlayers, I agree with You.

Or at least AOL should sell Winamp to another company. I don't know, if Mozilla or Google are better than Microsoft. Did I forget another software company?

I wish, there would be a millionaire or billionaire somewhere on Planet Earth, who loves Winamp very much and who wants to buy Winamp & SHOUTcast. I hope, AOL is willing to negotiate with such a person.

If yes, then maybe I can still celebrate xmas...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
free license, source code, winamp