Old 29th January 2004, 12:49   #1
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
New form of matter?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ce_matter_dc_1

Quote:
Scientists Create New Form of Matter
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Scientists said on Wednesday they had created a new form of matter and predicted it could help lead to the next generation of superconductors for use in electricity generation, more efficient trains and countless other applications.

The new matter form is called a fermionic condensate and it is the sixth known form of matter -- after gases, solids, liquids, plasma and a Bose-Einstein condensate, created only in 1995.

"What we've done is create this new exotic form of matter," Deborah Jin, a physicist at the National Institute of Standards and Technology's joint lab with the University of Colorado, who led the study, told a news conference.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2004, 14:07   #2
j0ck3

Send a message via ICQ to j0ck3 Send a message via AIM to j0ck3
This sounds really cool. If they could make superconductors in roomtemprature it would change everything. The possibillity to transport electrisity over long distanses without any resistans. That could make all those dreams of large solarpanels in the desserts come true. Imagine a world without any cole-powerplants poluting the air. We could also drive our cars with electrisity and almost all polution from traffic would be gone.

"What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad." I have choosen the red pil.
j0ck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2004, 14:39   #3
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
WHAT?!
schools lie, they say there are only 3 forms of matter...i feel so..cheated

oh, yay!

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2004, 14:54   #4
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
OOooo, I'm facinated.

Its realy interesting to extend my knoledge via the internet, theres so little work involved.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2004, 20:21   #5
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by s1138
WHAT?!
schools lie, they say there are only 3 forms of matter...i feel so..cheated

oh, yay!
Freshman year in my Integrated Science class we went over gases, solids, and liquids, and mentioned plasma, but didn't cover it since it wasn't part of the physicial science curriculum...This "Bose-Einstein condensate" is totally alien to me...

But this is a facinating discovery, and I'm deeply interested...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2004, 21:49   #6
rpxmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by j0ck3
That could make all those dreams of large solarpanels in the desserts come true.
Yes, I've always had that dream of having a large solar panel coming out of my dessert. I like ice cream, but it seems to melt in room temperature. Maybe this newfound matter will help keep it frozen.

Sounds cool. I'm looking forward to them actually applying it to something.
rpxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2004, 22:23   #7
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

But does it really matter?

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2004, 22:40   #8
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Depends on what functions it will actually have in our everyday life...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 00:38   #9
corkhead0
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by j0ck3
This sounds really cool. If they could make superconductors in roomtemprature it would change everything. The possibillity to transport electrisity over long distanses without any resistans. That could make all those dreams of large solarpanels in the desserts come true. Imagine a world without any cole-powerplants poluting the air. We could also drive our cars with electrisity and almost all polution from traffic would be gone.
Solar panels cause more damage than they avoid.

A billionth of a degree from absolute zero huh? Where do they get the thermometers to measure that stuff!
corkhead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 02:13   #10
rpxmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by corkhead0

A billionth of a degree from absolute zero huh? Where do they get the thermometers to measure that stuff!
Perhaps you are right here...solar panels may cause more damage than they're intended to avoid, especially when you put them in your desserts, like j0ck3 said. Oh well, least we can still dream about it.

They probably have other means of measuring temperature close to zero kelvin, corkhead0, besides using a thermometer. If NASA told you that there was a galaxy that was sixteen quintillion light years away from Earth, do you seriously think they measured that using a ruler?
rpxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 06:16   #11
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Depends on what functions it will actually have in our everyday life...

Well as the scientists put it, it can affect virtually everything we know now. Along with the new nano tube technology that is supposed to debut in TV's and other appliances in the near future.

The Star Trek era is not to far away now is it?
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 20:44   #12
mikm
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by corkhead0
Not necessarily. Solar panels could cover old radioactive dumpsites (but the construction would be hard)