Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 2nd May 2000, 21:36   #1
millibug

This is the WORST software I've ever installed on my computer. It sucks!!! Not only that, it is a damn spying device that constantly reports information to the wildtangent website, thus slowing down my internet connection! It's got a stupid windows pop-up loop bug, it freezes, it's a useless piece of crap!!! And, if you wanna try to remove it, good luck. It will keep spying by leaving files under windows\wt or winnt\wt and starts up secretly on its own. Those bastards at the wildtanget website claim it is not intrusion on your privacy. However, I feel sorry for the folks who are new to the computer and Internet world, and have no idea that WildTangent is running in the background reporting information to the wildtanget website for data collection! This is an outrage!!! I request that you remove the WildTangent link off this site immediately!!! You are not merely downloading an AVS when you download WildTangent! You are actually downloading a bunch of crappy software you do not need!!! Take the download link off this site! I like Winamp, but don't do this to the innocent web surfers!!!

--Concerned Internet Citizen
millibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2000, 23:20   #2
Olivier

And more, it's hideous and slow...
Old 3rd May 2000, 04:34   #3
Cody
dot com bomb
Beta Team

We are looking into this
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2000, 06:09   #4
djflipstar

Geez, that's why my modem lights have been blinkin a lot lately!
Old 3rd May 2000, 07:56   #5
dpersky

I uninstalled it a while ago. Where do you find the information that tells you it's running in the background? I don't see it listed under task manager.
Old 3rd May 2000, 18:46   #6
Calanan

FYI, their privacy statement is at http://www.wildtangent.com/products/aud_privacy.html - the upshoot is that they can collect whatever information they deem necessary (hardware/software info) as well as any personal information you provide upon download/installation. They do mention that they will "...report this configuration information to us on a regular basis," which would explain "extra" network activity. Also they reserve the right to share some of that info with their fellow marketing weenies...er, partners. </soapbox>

Please read the statement for yourself, don't take my interpretation as gospel.

I'm just curious about how sneaky the install is as I have not installed WildTangent's plugin but is the privacy statement displayed at installation?

- mike
Calanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2000, 03:47   #7
Brett

Yes, it tells you which scared me off at first. I installed it though and then found I couldn't start Winamp. I deleted everything new I'd installed and found the wt addon was the culprit.

I didn't find any left over files (except for and empty wt folder) in my windows directory.
Old 4th May 2000, 23:54   #8
VampyreLestat

Send a message via ICQ to VampyreLestat
What's funny is that I posted a message about a similar problem with this nasty, lame, abusive plugin about a week and a half ago and nobody deemed to reply. It's funny that now everyone knows how bad it sucks the llamas nutz.
VampyreLestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support