Old 8th June 2005, 07:39   #1
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
DVD Decrypter - Gone, Forever!

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11914

Quote:
Hello world,

I"ve got some good news and some bad news.Let’s start with the good.... (tumble weed passes by)Ok, and now onto the bad: DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 is the last version you"ll ever see.We hoped this day would never come, but it has, and I can promise you, nobody is more gutted about it than I am.

What started as a bit of fun, putting a GUI around some existing code, turned into something that I can only describe as ‘part of me’ – yes, I know that’s sad ;-) As I"ve recently been made aware (by a letter, hand delivered to my door, last Tuesday), due to some law that was changed back in October 2003, circumventing copy protection isn"t allowed.

Ok so it has taken a while (almost 2 years), but eventually "a certain company" has decided they don"t like what I"m doing (circumventing their protection) and have come at me like a pack of wolves. I"ve no choice but to cease everything to do with DVD Decrypter.I realise this is going to be one of those "that sucks - fight them!" kinda things, but at the end of the day, it"s my life and I"m not about to throw it all away (before it has even really started) attempting to fight a battle I can"t possibly win.

If 321 Studios can"t do it with millions, what chance do I have with £50?! As I"m sure most of you have already noticed, the site has been down for a few days. That surprised me as much as the next person (slight breakdown in communication), or I would have issued this statement on it directly.

So anyway, from this point forward, I"m no longer permitted to provide any sort of assistance with anything that helps people infringe the rights of "a certain company".That means, no more emails, no more forum posts, no PM"s, no nothing! END OF STORY.The domain name will be transferred over to the company by the end of the week (9th June, according to the undertakings I have to sign) so don"t email it thinking "Oh, I"ll just ask LIGHTNING UK! for support on this". You"ll not be getting the intended recipient and could be landing yourself in sh1t!

With 3.5.4.0 being the last version, it makes sense for everyone to disable the "check for new versions" feature, as obviously there won"t be any. Of course what I really mean is that you should all stop using the program out of respect for the company’s rights.

Anyone hosting DVD Decrypter is advised to cease doing so immediately. I"ve the feeling they won"t stop with just me. I"m having to contact anyone I know of that is (at the very least, the "mirror" sites), and tell them to stop. Copies of those emails must also be sent to the solicitors so they can check I"m doing everything I"m supposed to. If I don’t, I die.

It is of course down to the owners of those sites to react how they want to. It"s not my job to force you to do anything you don"t want to, I"m just giving you some friendly advice. Maybe it"s just me, but I see this as a bit of an "end of an era". I realise there are other tools, but there"s no telling how much longer they"ll last, and not only that, mine was the oldest! I"ve met loads of great people over the years and I want to take this opportunity to wish them every success for the future - yes DDBT peeps, that includes you lot! : "(I hope you"ve all enjoyed my contribution to the DVD scene and maybe I"ll see ya around sometime.

LIGHTNING UK!
(Author of the once "Ultimate DVD Ripper", DVD Decrypter)

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 08:52   #2
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Saw that. It's a fucking shame.
I was wondering: couldn't the guy have done as the makers of AnyDVD did ie sell the source to a firm based in a country with no copyright laws? Unfortunately, it's too late for that.
We'll just have to wait for another ripper
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 14:49   #3
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

FYI: its still available here

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 15:57   #4
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Programs like that should always be open source, then it would be impossible to shut them down.

Oh and, boycott Some company.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 16:04   #5
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
Programs like that should always be open source, then it would be impossible to shut them down.
Indeed.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 18:59   #6
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Guess I best burn a backup copy now.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 23:39   #7
sgtfuzzbubble011

Fuck Some company.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 00:26   #8
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

But Some Company make such sexy products.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 03:06   #9
fookknot
Fookerator

There are always alternatives... and so far, I've always found much better alternatives to products that Some company makes.

-Sarge
fookknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 07:55   #10
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

According to stuff I've read on various forums, it's either Sony or Macrovision who send the C&D letter to the author of DVD Decrypter.
Old 9th June 2005, 22:57   #11
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

We know
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2005, 00:00   #12
sgtfuzzbubble011

As if they don't make enough money already... Again, Fuck Them.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2005, 10:50   #13
Lucos

I don't get it, if there is "some law" preventing you to bypass the copy protection, why isn't there a law just to say "do not copy your own commercial DVDs on to your HDD".

It is obvious that "copy protection" is inaffective and must be bypassable just so that you can watch the DVD in the first place.

I think it is sly though, I wanted to copy MY movies on to MY HDD to make them easier to calalogue and watch on my computer. It also runs better off the HDD. This is the same problem with MP3's and daft companies with thier silly copy protection (which also doesn't work!!!)

Bahhh!!!
Lucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2005, 14:18   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

It's a crime to break the encryption on a DVD.

It's a crime to write tools to do so. Ask that kid in Finland that wrote one of the first DeCSS tools and ended up in jail.

Open source will not save the day, nor is it "impossible" for them to shut down people that they identify violating their software patents and making decryption tools.

I am so sick of DRM. I just want to put some MP3's in my old Yepp player and not have to screw around. It would be nice to just put DVD's on a hard disk and watch them. It might be nice to use some compression that was less stupid than MPEG2.

This even gets worst. Many open source projects are threatened by the recent activity in software patents. With things such as a simple bubble sort being covered by patents, who knows what's gonna happen?.

If we don't watch it, we are going to end up with a very small number of very large companies owning nearly all of the intellectual property.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 08:43   #15
old and quite mad
Major Dude

From Doom9:

"Finally, since I was "blessed" by an official information email that the company that shut down DVD Decrypter development demanded be sent, I can let the cat out of the bag: it's not the MPAA, it's not Sony as initially rumored. It's Macrovision - the company that has given the world video signal corruption since the 1980's."

The search for the ultimate signature continues apace. I have journeyed from the peaks of Nepal to the depths of oceanic trenches. I have crossed deserts, jungles, swamps, savannas, steppes and frozen wastelands. I have consulted with seers, swamis, sages, scholars and savants. The peregrination proceeds purposefully.
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 15:21   #16
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Fuck them
Old 13th June 2005, 16:16   #17
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Yeah, good old Macrovision musta got pissed off because the entire world was shown just how damn easy it is to kill off their protection and thus make their product kinda worthless.

I love the way companies keep their monopolies intact with legal maneuvers and IP laws. And they wonder why people don't feel the least bit guilty about stealing shit.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 16:25   #18
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
It's a crime to write tools to do so. Ask that kid in Finland that wrote one of the first DeCSS tools and ended up in jail.
Who? I know that Jon Johansen wrote DeCSS, and was never imprisoned (although he was brought to court, twice), but I don't know anything about this Finnish one.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News