Old 17th July 2005, 03:20   #1
SisterCrystal

rips-tide

Just a comment about reporting ripped skins etc. The internet has effectively put an end to the viability of the concept of intellectual property rights. Technology has made enforcing laws designed to protect such rights impossible. There is a saying - "do not forbid where you cannot also prevent". The wisdom of this phrase should be obvious - as obvious as the impossibility of prevention. Arguments regarding the morality and ethics of this topic are moot. When you put something on the net, you give it to the whole world, to do with as it wishes. This is a technical reality. Any other conclusion is pure fantasy. No moral principle has ever stood in the face of technological pressure. Be it human cloning, stem cell research, or web sites detailing the construction of weapons, the promotion of drugs, or the pirating of information; the law of technology is the same - "because it is possible, it is necessary." Stated differently, "since it is possible, it is inevitable." My advice to all the artists, writers, and software design folk is simple - deal with it. Find other ways of profiting from your work, or find a different way to make a living. Dare I suggest pursuing art for art's sake? Be that as it may, it is not only foolish but dangerous to fight this tide. Information technology has a momentum, a direction, all its own. Technology wants information to flow as quickly and freely as possible. Fight this too hard and you will simply go down - taken out by technical realities. We will succeed to the extent that we understand and accept; nay, EMBRACE; the technical realities of the information age. There are no other options except frustration, failure, and a waning ability to affect or even take part in the concourse of the day. The technological system (see the book of the same name by the visionary french philosopher Jacques Ellul) is akin to a living system - it behaves in a fashion that promotes its own survival and growth. And it's MUCH more powerful than any quaint notions of ownership or control we humans may cling to. Every second spent trying to protect intellectual property simply puts you one more second behind - and impairs your ability to do anything pro-active to affect the quality of your life and that of those around you. So give it up! That is all...
SisterCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2005, 05:24   #2
sgtfuzzbubble011

Regardless of my point of view on the topic, that's a really well written rant.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2005, 16:41   #3
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Looks like the internet has killed paragraphs too.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2005, 16:57   #4
tuckerm
Forum Emo

but still i dont want someone to take my image\skin that i worked my ass off to have some person copy it and change a few things so it fits them
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2005, 22:24   #5
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
i wouldn't car much about a skin or an image as long as they don't try to say they made it or something like that.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 11:52   #6
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Your argument drips well writtin idealism from every orifice but its sickeningly unrealistic. Your suggesting we should all be happy to have our intellectual property stolen, just give up trying to stop it.

"My advice to all the artists, writers, and software design folk is simple - deal with it. Find other ways of profiting from your work, or find a different way to make a living."

Okay, say I'm a small software developer and my software is being ripped and put on file sharing networks. I'm losing money, but according I should just "find other ways of of profiting from my work" er... how? I'll go and work for a software development company instead I guess. But whoops people rip the companies software and put it on file sharing networks. Time for plan B, "find a different way to make a living", yea fuck this fulfilling and rewarding job, time to find a job where people cant steal my work (because why solve a problem when you can run away from it, right?) so I'll become a street sweeper, then NOONE will want to steal my work (because I dont have anything to steal) problem solved!

I'm Sorry but thats just ridiculous, there is nothing wrong with a bit of PRIDE in your work, it is what motivates a lot of people, if I spend days making a piece of work (I make visualisation presets) I'm usually proud of the result and dont see anything wrong with wanting to take a little credit for it. If people are free to steal my work and call it their own my incentive to create is seriously dented, so who gains? The ripper. Who loses out? Me (the hard working artist) and the community (because I might decide not to bother any more).

"The technological system ... is akin to a living system - it behaves in a fashion that promotes its own survival and growth. And it's MUCH more powerful than any quaint notions of ownership or control we humans may cling to."

So I suppose being an elightend member of this living community with no "quaint notions of ownership or control" you wouldnt mind me coming around to your house and stealing your car?

"Technology has made enforcing laws designed to protect such rights impossible. There is a saying - "do not forbid where you cannot also prevent". The wisdom of this phrase should be obvious - as obvious as the impossibility of prevention."

You seem quick to blanket all rights protection on the internet as impossible. The internet isnt some electronic badlands where anything goes, and it is only "akin to a living system" because of the people who contribute to the system, it is not autonomous, and if the people within that community are vigilant about rights protection prevention is NOT impossible. In the AVS community (which I admit isnt very big) we all keep a look out for rippers and they are always picked up on their violation and reported. It works because we care about the community enough. Clearly something like Software Piracy is an infinately bigger problem, but I hardly think the best course of action is to just 'go with the flow' and assume the problem is here to stay.

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
PAK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 15:30   #7
xzxzzx
Forum King

Re: rips-tide

Quote:
Originally posted by SisterCrystal
There is a saying - "do not forbid where you cannot also prevent".

Ok, so thinking with that logic:

You can't prevent me from killing you. Sure, society can punish me for it, but believe me, if I wanted to, I would be able to kill you. So that shouldn't be forbidden?

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist