Old 18th July 2005, 15:09   #1
Stated

Winamps 5 Is Trash

I used to use winamp loads, i used it ever since the second versions Winamp 2.xx I thought it was the best thing ever, and it was. It was a great player.

However i've now uninstalled it because im fed up of it. Ever since winamp launched versions 5.xx series the performance and stability has been going down hill, i mean all their patches and updates they've been doing to it have been making the winamp lose its super coolness it had in the 3 series. It used to be quick when you opened it, and stable as a rock while it was open.

The problems im getting with 5 is that it keeps randomly crashing every bloody day, I don't do anything to make it crash i just play my music as normal. Also i don't have any plugins or skins installed i just have it as i downloaded it so none of that can be causing it to crash. And i do have a decent computer that i got last year pentium 4 and all that crap.

The features are all pretty pointless aswell, unless your a winamp head and all you have installed on your pc is winamp and winamp does everything you need and your life is as simple as that i find that Nero can burn and rip cds perfectly fine and at a decent speeds and quality. I also find the video player toally useless, i mean it can only support a few basic file types. I also find that programs such as Cyberlink PowerDVD are superia for playing Dvds and Dvix Pro are all i need to play dvds and video files.

Also in winamp i find the Library feature is stupid because when you make play lists they get stashed in the library thing fine. However when you make a few new playlists you've got to go through all the import process and located it and its just too much bother, i'd personally use windows media players library as it does all that automatically.

Wow i could go on for days how stupid winamp is and how to improve it. BUT IM NOT, Perhaps Winamp should look more closely to what users want and perhaps look in the plugins section and look at what users are making because winamp doesn't have it. Also perhaps they should work on improving current versions instead of focusing on all this video crap.
Stated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 15:12   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Moved to bitchlist as you don't appear to be asking for any specific tech support help, rather running off at a tangent as to why you don't like winamp

And in reply to you PM, in case you don't bother to read my reply to you...

I read your post, I saw a couple of lines about winamp randomly crashing everyday and paragraphs of how crap winamp was etc etc, did you take time to read any of the important help threads listed at the top of the support forums?, did you take time to provide any system specs to enable people to try and help you or did you pour all your effort into whining about it?

Information required when posting (ignore this and risk being ignored)

If you want support, ask for it and provide as much detail as you can, don't whine about how bad the program is and take up space for other people who do genuinely want help.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 17:16   #3
Squadman

Send a message via AIM to Squadman
Winamp is an amazing program, you just don't know how to use it properly.

I've been using Winamp for about 1 year and a half, and the few problems i've had, i've sorted out, or come to these boards, and asked for help.

Maybe you should get some help, instead of giving up on it completly.
Squadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 17:24   #4
evolution76

Send a message via Yahoo to evolution76
winamp rules been using since version 1.0...... death to those that do not think so
evolution76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 18:28   #5
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

You're probably using a third party plugin that is causing crashing, or you've not got latest drivers, or some other problem.

Oh, and in reply to your topic, so is your mum.
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 18:29   #6
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Re: Winamps 5 Is Trash

Quote:
Originally posted by Stated
I used to use winamp loads, i used it ever since the second versions Winamp 2.xx I thought it was the best thing ever, and it was. It was a great player.

However i've now uninstalled it because im fed up of it. Ever since winamp launched versions 5.xx series the performance and stability has been going down hill, i mean all their patches and updates they've been doing to it have been making the winamp lose its super coolness it had in the 3 series. It used to be quick when you opened it, and stable as a rock while it was open.

The problems im getting with 5 is that it keeps randomly crashing every bloody day, I don't do anything to make it crash i just play my music as normal. Also i don't have any plugins or skins installed i just have it as i downloaded it so none of that can be causing it to crash. And i do have a decent computer that i got last year pentium 4 and all that crap.

The features are all pretty pointless aswell, unless your a winamp head and all you have installed on your pc is winamp and winamp does everything you need and your life is as simple as that i find that Nero can burn and rip cds perfectly fine and at a decent speeds and quality. I also find the video player toally useless, i mean it can only support a few basic file types. I also find that programs such as Cyberlink PowerDVD are superia for playing Dvds and Dvix Pro are all i need to play dvds and video files.

Also in winamp i find the Library feature is stupid because when you make play lists they get stashed in the library thing fine. However when you make a few new playlists you've got to go through all the import process and located it and its just too much bother, i'd personally use windows media players library as it does all that automatically.

Wow i could go on for days how stupid winamp is and how to improve it. BUT IM NOT, Perhaps Winamp should look more closely to what users want and perhaps look in the plugins section and look at what users are making because winamp doesn't have it. Also perhaps they should work on improving current versions instead of focusing on all this video crap.
and since nobody has said this yet (supprisingly) winamp5 = winamp 2.x with bugfixes, so idk how v5 crashes all the time on your comp and 2.x never did.

If you don't like the library then don't use it, that's fine. It is like keyboard shortcuts in the Windows system. I always use ctrl+s to save, ctrl+c and ctrl+v to copy and paste and rarely use any menue bars, but some people use the menue bars exclusivly. Nobody is demanding that keyboard shortcuts or menue bars to be removed or calling them pointless. We just use whatever works for us.

And what sort of plug-ins do you need? Did you bother to check the wishlist forum? I've asked for several features in the wishlist section and some of the option's i've asked for have turned into plugins by Dr0 (not specifically for me, but I like thinking they were made for me )

As for burning and ripping CD's, if you don't think winamp does a good enough job of it, then use another program. It's not like those features are causing winamp to use uncecessary resources on startup and such. (for the record, I use Burrrrn to burn cd's and freerip to rip, not winamp) This is just another example of features being offered because some people want them. Again, if you don't need them, don't use them. Ditto goes with the video player (i use WiMP and DivX)
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 19:23   #7
DrO

trolling trolling trolling

does it show i just cba with this bullshit crap anymore...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 20:40   #8
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
cba?
Old 18th July 2005, 20:41   #9
DrO

can't be arsed, good ol' british talking

-daz
Old 18th July 2005, 20:51   #10
siebe83
Forum King

DrO, you look err, naked

No longer eating gerbils, feeling so good?

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 21:04   #11
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

cba, ic, trolling..../me checks his profile...3 posts, all the same shit...idiot.
Old 18th July 2005, 22:54   #12
sgtfuzzbubble011

Like it was said before, if you don't like it, don't use it. No one is twisting your arm and making you use Winamp.

And like dlink said, Winamp 5 is the same exact thing as Winamp 2. If you want Winamp 2 back, all you have to do is uncheck all the plugins you don't want when you install Winamp 5. You want a lean, fast, uncluttered version of Winamp? Install it with just a couple input and output plugins. Simple. Maybe if you took the time to actually read what the installer said when you installed Winamp 5, you'd know these things.

So quit yer bitchin.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 00:38   #13
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

What they said.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 00:44   #14
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Times infinity!
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 02:47   #15
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

plus 1
Old 19th July 2005, 07:29   #16
fisher819

Send a message via Yahoo to fisher819
i don't see what the bitchin is all about. he said he used winamp 2 and winamp3, and winamp 5 has all the features of 2 and 3.

help us count :Click here
fisher819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 08:03   #17
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Stated

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 08:40   #18
Bizznatch
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Bizznatch
Bizznatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 08:52   #19
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
As much as I loved WA3 and spent many happy hours using, with the best will in the world it was never that quick to open, and often not that stable, sad but true

Quote:
That's the beauty of modular installs,use as much or as little as you like, I find winamp perfectly acceptable for cd ripping, maybe I'm biased using a freebie pro key but there you go, can't say I've used it for burning, mainly because I don't tend to burn audio cd's *shrug*

Funny thing is, most if not all of these features were or would have been included had WA3 been progressed to it's natural conclusion, video support was already there , other modular components would have been added as development continued.

Quote:
Didn't the library in the super cool WA3 work in similar ways?, but hey, save yourself a few clicks and keep on using media player, while you are busy opening nero to rip, cyberlink for videos and wimp for your playlists, I'll be happily managing all of my media needs throuh my winamp installation, which opens in a second or two and hasn't crashed once on me in years,and that includes lots and lots of wacky development builds as well, in fact the only time I've managed to crash it is because of something that I've induced on it while experimenting with the skin engine, divide by zero is a bitch.

Quote:

Focusing on the video crap?, man you really have lost the plot by this point, video playback if anything is a side issue and draws hardly any development compared to the rest of the player, lets have a look see at the last few change logs, I'll pick out the massive chunks of video fixes/developments for you......

Quote:

Winamp5.094
- New: in_wm now handles bitrate and length extended info
- New: New random number generation for playlist shuffle
- Fixed: Security vulnerability in id3v2 tags
- Fixed: Winamp now shuffles playlists larger than 32,768 songs
- Fixed: Fade on start now behaves properly *
- Fixed: separate directsound settings with multiple instances *
- Fixed: Winamp now supports adding URLs longer than 260 characters.
- Fixed: Editing files created in iTunes no longer causes corruption.
- Fixed: Length of long mp3's now reported properly
- Fixed: gen_jumpex no longer crashes when DEP is enabled
- Fixed: Sort selections in media library are now remembered.
- Fixed: Album names with non-alphanumeric character behave better
- Fixed: Fixed intermittent crash on seeking for some users *
- Updated: new libmp4v2.dll

Winamp 5.093 (old thread here)
- Fixed: OSD stays onscreen in DirectDraw Mode *
- Fixed: Fullscreen video OSD doesn't reappear after using Pause *
- Fixed: ML Playlist > Select all (no delete key)
- Fixed: Vis data for in_mod (and possibly other input plugins) *
- Fixed: msvcp60.dll now linked static
- Fixed: Small intermittent bugs in gen_ml and gen_ff
- Fixed: Greater than 2 channel vis data now works
- Fixed: Media Library problems with parentheses/brackets in artist or album names
- Fixed: Ripping CDs with trailing ellipses (...) in artist or album name
- Fixed: Better video flipping for YUV colorspace videos (eg. vp6)
- Fixed: Saved mute settings with modern skin.
- Fixed: Drag and Drop from external applications *
- Fixed: Open File Dialog always-on-top *
- Fixed: Crossfade on start *
- Fixed: Freeze when switching audio tracks in a multi-audio stream *
- Fixed: Fullscreen switching with scaled video window *
- Update: Dynamic Online Media can now alert users to live events (can disable)
- New: Winamp Protocols now registered, for direct browser support
...(icy:// sc:// shout:// unsv:// uvox://)

Winamp 5.09 to 5.092
- New: DRM WMA Playback supports out_wave
- New: Non-DRM WMA Playback allows any output plugin
- New: Community Picks AVS Preset Pack
- New: Windows Media Audio Ripping/Encoding (removed in latest build, sorry)
- New: Deletes in the Media Library now move files to the Recycle Bin
- New: NSV Subtitles can be disabled on the fly
- Fixed: Long delay and high cpu on exit with many items in playlist *
- Fixed: gen_ml shutdown bug
- Fixed: Easy Move of video window back to normal *
- Fixed: Pause in WMA playback memory leak
- Fixed: Multi-monitor full screen video *
- Fixed: Drag and Drop in playlist editor *
- Fixed: Drag and Drop on Winamp *
- Fixed: Now Playing update on song change *
- Fixed: Media Library/Windows Media scanning errors *
- Fixed: Stay in fullscreen/Config mismatch *
- Fixed: Ctrl-B Crash *
- Fixed: Authentication for OGG/Vorbis streams
- Fixed: Drag and Drop strange behavior in open file dialogs
- Fixed: Stuttering WMA On Start and Seek
- Fixed: NSV Video stall during buffering
- Fixed: Autosize of video to be accurate to the Video size not snap size
- Fixed: Short NSV Clips audio cutout

- Update: Online Media tree is now dynamic (Checking can now be disabled)
- Update: Sonic Install/Config flag mismatch
- Update: CD Ripping/Burning Library (possible cause of msvcrt.dll errors)
- New: in_wm.dll (msvcp60.dll linked statically, instead of dynamically) *
- Other general small tweaks/bugfixes ;-)
Yup, as you can see, massive ammounts of focus placed on video there, I don't know how anything else gets done because of it.

For your own reference , the developers do pay attention to what users ask for, in fact there are some developments up and coming that people have been screaming about for what seems like forever, you'll have to wait a little for those however.

Now, what, if indeed you actually had one, was your point again ?
Old 19th July 2005, 10:38   #20
fisher819

Send a message via Yahoo to fisher819
you said it mr jones.

help us count :Click here
fisher819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 00:34   #21
Print
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by fisher819
you said it mr jones.
And I didn't read it.

Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 07:34   #22
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Sorry blue, I don't work in soundbites, I'm grown up now, I can string a sentence together and everything.....
Old 20th July 2005, 12:18   #23
DrO

damn, i knew i was missing out on something, the whole sentance thing

-daz
Old 20th July 2005, 22:54   #24
Print
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Sorry blue, I don't work in soundbites, I'm grown up now, I can string a sentence together and everything.....
Lol.. nah, I was just tired.
Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2005, 03:39   #25
Emperor Xóbel

Winamp is the shit. I get crashes all the time cuz of dodgy plugins that I use, but it still kicks media players arse. Maybe I am silly trusting backyard plugins from russia over microsoft, but fuck bill gates and their evil plot to take over my computer with microsoft rubbish. Go team winamp. Lets all bow down in communal worship of the llama. I just wish my plugins would stop crashing the fucker.
Emperor Xóbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist