Old 31st July 2006, 16:41   #1
Ymir20000000

Defineable pause between songs?

Hi,

I have Winamp 5.24. I know I can choose General Preferences => Playlist => Advanced Playback Settings => Manual Playlist Advance to cause the playlist to pause between songs until I manually choose the next song.

But, what I'm not finding is if there is a way to tell the playlist to pause for 1 second, or 2, or 5, or whatever [a number I can define] between songs.

Right now, there is no pause, just immediately into next song.

Thanks for your help in this matter,

Warmest regards,

John
Ymir20000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 16:46   #2
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Moved to wishlist.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 16:50   #3
Ymir20000000

I see that this has been moved to the Wishlist.

I guess that's my answer: no, what I seek doesn't exist and I'm not overlooking it anywhere.

Thanks!
Old 31st July 2006, 17:01   #4
JonnyMac

See DJ Egg's list of pause plug-ins.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 18:57   #5
Ymir20000000

Hmmm...

No automatic or "defineable" pause between tracks....

Hmmm...Maybe this is why I stopped using Winamp 5 (yes: five) years ago. Can't remember all the exact reasons. All I do remember is it was really unstable and clunky. So I moved to Musicmatch...which has gotten more obese and clunky over the years...as well as very unstable (regardless of the numerous clean installs). So I came back to Winamp.

However, not to include BY NOW a defineable pause between songs is really an strange and unimagineable oversight. I reallyt don't need to go to Audition and "put X seconds of silence at the end of each track," do I?

When I switched to Musicmatch those many years ago, everyone I know told me I was stupid to leave such a great program. Was I?

--John
Old 31st July 2006, 19:07   #6
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

There are several plugins that do exactly what you what. That is the point of plugins, so every little rarley used feature doesn't need to be included in Winamp.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 19:10   #7
DrO

most of the players i've tried have never allowed for native insertion of no noise between tracks. most people that i've come across generally want no gap between tracks. pauses between tracks has to be said is a rather niche feature which is why i'd say it's not something that's been considered as a native feature.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 04:42   #8
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Re: Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ymir20000000
However, not to include BY NOW a defineable pause between songs is really an strange and unimagineable oversight.
Can you read what I quoted and not think that you sound very self-centered?

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 05:58   #9
Ymir20000000

Now relax, Forum King. I have.

No, I don't believe it's a self-centered statement. What would be self-centered is "I want this and you should already provide it for me."

However, what you have misread came from my lack of in-depth experience with any player other than Musicmatch. (Yes, I've used Real and Windows Media Player and Quick Time, but only if they pop up automatically. My player of choice for the last 5 years has been Musicmatch (without plug-ins), and I have not explored in-depth any other programs. Apparently that is where I made my fatal mistake. And then I opened my mouth and spouted my ignorance...)

Another feature Musicmatch has is the ability to "add a 2 second gap between tracks" when burning CDs. Perhaps I'm also blurring the lines between the playback and CD ripping features.

Anyway...when I ranted about a feature that basically I've been used to for 5 years, it's not because Musicmatch gave me something I demanded, it was already there. (Actually, what Musicmatch Jukebox Plus has is controllable fade in/fade out and track offset. They work for me.) This feature wasn't something I sought out, but having become used to it for the last five years, I "naturally" (from my point of view) assumed it was part of all players.

The ability to have some native control of the playback (and CD burning) didn't seem to me like a bizarre and hardly-used feature that nobody'd want. It seemed, because it was part of the program I'd used for 5 years, to be a normal feature.

All I wanted was a sleeker, less obese program (which Musicmatch has become) and apparently assumed the wrong thing about a single feature.

Gee, I'm sorry for not exploring the full options of all players before settling on a new one to replace Musicmatch.

The manual pause/restart function in Winamp will work for most of my needs. Not everything, but most. And I'll check out the list of pause plug-ins JonnyMac mentioned. (Thank you, JonnyMac! I overlooked it when I came to write my rant, or failed to refresh the page right before I started typing. I don't know the reason for missing your suggestion, but I was in a hurry and shouldn't have flown off the handle anyway.)

JonnyMac's advice (pointing me to "See DJ Egg's list of pause plug-ins") was exactly what I was looking for in terms of advice, not just unceremoniously and unexplainedly moving my request for *help* into the Wishlist.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist