X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OzDrDj
    • May 2018

MP4 Still doesnt work

Hi, Trying to get MP4 videos to work, did a scan through and can anly see posts back around 2013.
    None of my music videos will play.
    Encoded with Pavtube
    size, 1920x1080
    data rate, 1500kbps
    frame rate, 25fps
    256k 14,400 2ch AAC stereo audio.
    Love the Winamp, glad to see its imminent return.
    Thanks for your time.
  • ariszlo
    Major Dude
    • Jun 2015

Which version of Winamp are you using on which version of Windows?
    Ariszló @ WinCustomize & DeviantArt

Comment

• Dr.Flay
      • Mar 2013

Are you using the latest version of Winamp ?
      The old version needs you to pay for it to gain HW decoding of MP4 video.

As ever the first and last question in many heads is "Why wouldn't you use a proper video player instead?"
      Winamp is a high quality music player with basic video support attached with elastic bands and sticky tape.
      Try a high quality video player with basic music support.
      My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday

Comment

• OzDrDj
        • May 2018

Hello,
        I Have the latest version from the website, downloaded yesterday. 5.8 on Windows 10
        Im sure the encoding is fine as my videos play on my car stereo, mobile phone, even usb stick direct into the tv.
        Just when they play on winamp, nothing happens and it just skips every song.

Comment

• OzDrDj
          • May 2018

... and for Dr Flay, Cause I love Winamp. I have used it since the 90s to play my mp3s. I love the way I could have a song list and player and video windows and a graphic eq, and a level meter all in different windows i could place anywhere on several desktops using it as a jukebox. I have tried many many video jukeboxes over the years and they are either way to hard to set up, or have overdone themselves with a billion useless features, or both. The best Jukebox was Aussiejuke, no longer supported, however all it did was show you a list of songs like an old jukjebox, click on the song, it played. So simple. anyway I digress. Winamp is just a great program, and I would like to use it for videos again. I know I did have it working once long long ago somehow. I cant wait to have it going again. Cheers

Comment

• Aminifu
            Forum King
            • Aug 2011

Hi OzDrDj,

Winamp has always been hit or miss when playing video files. Sometimes the file extension on a file doesn't indicate the format(s) the file really uses. Winamp trusts file extensions to be accurate and doesn't examine within the files themselves. You can download and use the free app "MediaInfo" to examine any video or audio file to see what format(s) it uses.

If your file is really an mp4, check if your configuration has the input plug-in "in_mp4.dll" installed. If it does, make sure it is configured for the "MP4" file type and that all of the other installed input plug-ins are not.

If you don't have the "in_mp4.dll" plug-in or it doesn't work; you can download and install a set of free DirectShow video file decoders. Then configure the installed "in_dshow.dll" input plug-in for all of the video file types you use and make sure that the other installed input plug-ins are not configured for them.

Restart Winamp after any configuration changes (to be sure they are applied).

There is a third way to get Winamp to play video files, but try these 2 first. If neither works, post back and I will direct you to the info about the 3rd alternative.

Good Luck.
            Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
            Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• OzDrDj
              • May 2018

Checked the in_mp4.dll options. LOL, not many, just what file exentions to play. But anyway, deleted the MP4.dll and added MP4 to Directshow. Perfect. Just that simple. Woohoo.
              Thank you so much for bringing Winamp back to me.
              Just a quick afterthought. I have Dual monitors on my jukebox. Can I run 2 Video Windows at the same time from winamp? So i can have the player tracklist and a small window on one monitor and the second monitor run full screen. Just a thought. Cheers and thanks so much for your help

Comment

• Aminifu
                Forum King
                • Aug 2011

I'm glad DirectShow worked for you. I no longer use Winamp to play video files and can only assume your Windows configuration has the applicable DirectShow video decoder already installed.

Sorry, I only have 1 monitor in my system and can not provide any advice on using Winamp with dual monitors.
                Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

Working...
                X