Old 27th December 2003, 13:41   #1
JayG

Multiple Artist Support

Multiple Artist Support - Would it be possible to have a delimiter such as a "/ (forward slash)" or even a "; (semi-colon)" to separate artists in a ID3 tag so the number of different artists in a winamp users media library is reduced significantly? I think Windows Media Player 9 already does this and it's really handy when creating playlists and browsing through tracks etc...

Searching through older threads I think this could be done with Genres too.

Thanks
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2003, 17:07   #2
dedos

Yeah, I stumbled across this feature in Media Player 9 and fell in love with it. It's so useful for remixes and collaborations. Using the semicolon to list multiple artists would be a great help in organizing collections!
dedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2003, 12:58   #3
Bonheur

Yeah have ever been dreaming of such a feature. Didn't know WMP has it already... But who goes back to WMP when Winamp5 is gonna have it pretty soon... Ya, I really want it in the next release! Better still, WA can be a little more intelligent and also parse w./with/&/and as separate artists (although and/& can be sometimes tricky).
Bonheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2003, 13:20   #4
Bonheur

...And I forgot: feat./featuring must be equally taken care of.
Bonheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2003, 08:22   #5
JayG

That would be great or even if you could choose your own custom delimiter.
Old 17th February 2004, 13:24   #6
marksteadman

I think Winamp definitely needs something like artist and genre separation in the Media Library. I was about to start a thread about it myself, but looked it up first.

In fact, something that Winamp could do - which would be very cool - but WMP9 doesn't do is to have album separation. Bear with me! If you buy a compilation album of an artist or genre (for example, I'm into ska, so I buy a lot of ska compilations). You might find that you get the same tracks cropping up in two or more albums, so it would be cool to be able to have only one copy of the track - to save on disk space - and then separate the album names with a ";" or whatever. Waddaya think?

Hope to see it in the "official" Winamp 5.0 Wishlist soon!
marksteadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 21:07   #7
JayG

Did this ever make the official list?
Old 1st April 2004, 01:21   #8
Veej007

definitely customize the delimiters or make them an obscure string of symbols.

/ would screw up AC/DC, for example
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 17:48   #9
mondo shaking

I'm so in support of this... This is my Nth post already about this. I suggest there be multiple artist/genre/album support via a semi-colon delimiter... Windows Media Player 9 does it that way.
mondo shaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2004, 03:15   #10
JayG

Nice to see I'm not the only person who wants this, its a shame its falling on deaf ears though.
Old 7th June 2004, 19:31   #11
dab5322

This is probably the one feature I want more than anything else right now for winamp. The main part I want is the multiple artist support (I have quite a few movie soundtracks, and it's impossible to listen to a soundtrack as one cd, without going through a whole lot of extra work). But multiple album support would be kinda cool too now that I think about it. I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said, but I figure one more voice saying how much they want this couldn't hurt. I still use Media Player to listen to some of my music because Winamp ticks me off so much.
dab5322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 19:37   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What's the beef all about?

Search query:

?artist has "bleh"
?album has "foo"
?artist has "bleh" and "album" has "foo"
?artist has "bleh" and artist has "blah" and album has "foo"

etc etc

Yeah, I guess it could be more n00b friendly,
but it's early days yet...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 01:04   #13
visomo

I don't use WMP and on my system 8 is still installed but I agree with egg. Don't think this is required. I've some movie soundtracks myself and added a seperate view for that. Since I've them in a seperate Soundtrack folder the view has the option that the filename begins with C:\Music\Soundtracks

It's a artist/album view with the album view stretched to the left. Now I only see the different soundtrack albums in the top row and the tracks below.

Quote:
You might find that you get the same tracks cropping up in two or more albums, so it would be cool to be able to have only one copy of the track - to save on disk space - and then separate the album names with a ";" or whatever. Waddaya think?
Well, on first sight this might sound good. But what if you delete an album or want to reorganize or move your library? And some more MB doesn't hurt anyway I guess.
visomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 08:34   #14
andrewmab

Try this in the meantime:
ska.track 1
ska.track 2
ska1.track 1
ska1.track 2
ska2.track 1
ska2.track 2
Works for me!
andrewmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2004, 21:08   #15
Karuta

I was a dedicated WMP9 user until about a week ago when I tried the WMP10 beta, decided I didn't like the direction they're going with it, and chose to investigate some alternatives. I'd not been terribly impressed with WinAmp in the past, but I found you guys had a new version available so I decided to give it a shot, and thus far I've been extremely impressed with it.

As a recent WinAmp convert I came to the forums today specifically to find out how to have a song filed under multiple artists. I've got a music library of 4000+ titles, and I would guess that several hundred of them are duets or groups that I had listed under multiple artists using the ';' separator in WMP9. Imagine my irritation upon finding that those tags aren't recognized by WinAmp.

The reason this is a big deal is that I like to keep my music organized by artist - not by album or genre or any other criteria. If I have a song by (say for example) BB King and U2, then I want that same song to show up when I look at the U2 songs, and when I look at the BB King songs. Without that separator and multiple artist support built-in to WinAmp, I get a third artist category instead - that being "BB King & U2" with a grand total of one song in it.

A fix for this would be greatly appreciated.
Karuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2004, 20:54   #16
mondo shaking

Don't you hate it when something goes bump in the night? Yeah...

Haven't visited the topic in a long time. Just wanted to show my support. Again. And my confusion with DJ Egg's post. Maybe I should sit down and read it really carefully, but I didn't get it.
mondo shaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2004, 02:11   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What don't you get? It isn't exactly rocket science.

?artist has "bleh" and artist has "blah" and album has "foo"

Type the query into the Search field.

replace "bleh", "blah" and "foo" with the relevant artist/album names.

Or create a new Local Media View (using this same search criteria) which you can then manually edit at any time (by replacing 'bleh', 'blah' and 'foo' accordingly).

All the tracks you were looking for will then appear in the search results.
Click the Play button.

At least it's a simple workaround to achieve what you want... for now.

That's how I do it anyway, lol.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 00:19   #18
dab5322

Egg, I guess, this issue is pretty old now, but I think the problem is caused by a combination of 1) desire for convenience and 2) ocd people like me. I realize that your suggestion works, it's just that it isn't a satisfying answer for someone who feels a need for order and doesn't like using a seperate feature to simulate it.
dab5322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2005, 13:38   #19
karfus

Wow, this topic hasn't been visited in ages. That's a shame.

I also have to agree with the original poster and with dab, and disagree with DJ Egg: this should be a feature of Winamp. Doing a search defeats the purpose of transparent usability. Referring to WinAmp users as "n00bs" only shows a poor attitude toward them.

It's incredibly useful to support not just multiple artists but even more so multiple genres. If I really have to go into detail to explain why then you just aren't trying to get it. Try using WMP for a while to see why.

I'm not a Microsoft fan at all but I have to admit that with WMP they are the only ones that have gotten this right. Apple has missed the ball on this in iTunes as well which is one reason I find their software (and my iPod) relatively useless and poorly engineered. Compilation albums and genres in iTunes/iPod are a complete mess. I was hoping that Winamp would step up to the plate on this but I guess I'm going to be stuck with WMP and therefore buying a "Plays for Sure" device to replace my lame 60GB iPod photo.
karfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 16:22   #20
Jomel

Bump: This is a seriously annoying problem, polluting the artists list with "A & B" entries is annoying enough, but when artist A is selected songs by "A & B" should show up. It doesn't matter whether the delimiter is ';', '&', 'and' or is customizeable but some solution is necessary (semi-colon would help users migrating from WMP). This is so ridiculously easy to fix, yet so useful...
Jomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 07:20   #21
karfus

Thanks for bumping this, Jomel. I'm guessing that if something as basic as this hasn't been addressed this far along in a product's history than any serious development on it has long since stopped.

I think frankly my next step is finding a decent WMP-compatible device and scrapping the 60GB iPod. Looks like Toshiba is getting there.
Old 25th December 2006, 15:46   #22
just1post

karfus, does that mean that this "feature" will never be available in winamp?

How can it be that such an easy thing is not available in a commercial application while I was able to program an ID3 tag organizer with exactly this function when i was 13 years old...?

EDIT: Oh and DJ egg, yes, but you have to create such a query every time you want to check an artists' songs or play them ... a lot of spare work to do...
just1post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 18:54   #23
karfus

Album Artists etc.

Just1Post, I'm not a WinAmp developer, so I can't tell you.

What I can tell you is that even iTunes has (grudgingly?) added an Album Artist attribute recently (last major revision). So I suppose anything is possible.
Old 29th December 2006, 19:00   #24
DrO

considering there's this thread about the album artist implementation... do i need to say anything else on the matter?

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 04:06   #25
realitym

Although I agree that the implementation of Album Artist could be used, it still doesn't address the issue when there's a song where several artists collaborated on it.
An example:
Christina Aguilera, Pink, Mya, Lil'Kim - Lady Marmalade

In this case, you can't just put "Christina Aguilera" in the Album Artist field, as the song was found in in the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack... so you end up puting "Moulin Rouge OST" in the Album Artist Field... yet, the Artist field is still populated with the names of 4 artists that would create a different entry in the ML, instead of being part of the artists' entry.

If there was a delimitor, you could have that same song, under all four different artists, as well as the album artist, that in this case would be the same as the Album. Leaving this as a quite useful feature yet to be implemented.

Just my 2¢

EDIT: More on this on this other thread

Last edited by realitym; 2nd January 2007 at 05:41.
realitym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 10:41   #26
Mixsynth

I agree with this -- I actually *presumed* such functionality would be built into the Winamp Media Library, googled it, only to find this thread.

Firstly, I understand your solution, DJ Egg (using queries), but then what is the point of the Artist/Genre/Album panes if you're forced to use typed queries to make sure you find all tracks of a certain genre or artist?

In my case the issue is with multiple genres. Because so many songs can be specified as belonging to more than one genre, e.g. 'Rock;Punk', 'Jazz;Funk', 'Pop;Indie', etc., my 'Genre' pane (turned on manually using the Smart View filter options) becomes cluttered with such combined genre names. For example the Genre pane could show:

Electronic
Electronic;Trance
Funk
Funk;Jazz
Funk;Soul
Jazz
Jazz;Funk
Punk
Punk;Rock
Rock
Rock;Funk
Rock;Punk
Soul
Soul;Jazz
Techno
Techno;Electronic
Trance
Trance;Techno

...when all it needs to show is:

Electronic
Funk
Jazz
Punk
Rock
Soul
Techno
Trance

...and clicking on any one genre will show all relevant tracks, even those with other genres also specified.

Does that make the issue any clearer?
Mixsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 18:18   #27
realitym

I hate to bump a months old thread, but it still hasn't been addressed, and I still find lots of new threads, and resurrected threads that are asking for such a feature.

Is it that hard to implement? At least a plug-in or something could do the work?

I don't know. Just bump.
realitym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 23:17   #28
Mixsynth

I agree, realitym. Surely this must be one of the longest running feature requests still not implemented? There's a thread on here asking for it dating back to 2002.

Looks like it might be ready for version 5.4 though: see here
Mixsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 00:01   #29
DrO

there's things which are far older than this request (complete localisation support and a load of other things already in the wishlist). and i wouldn't rely on that post - things are never certain when it comes to software development (devs can only try to do things but there's never a guarantee just like is the case with all wishes)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 00:23   #30
Rodan2000

Quote:
Originally posted by marksteadman
I think Winamp definitely needs something like artist and genre separation in the Media Library. I was about to start a thread about it myself, but looked it up first.

In fact, something that Winamp could do - which would be very cool - but WMP9 doesn't do is to have album separation. Bear with me! If you buy a compilation album of an artist or genre (for example, I'm into ska, so I buy a lot of ska compilations). You might find that you get the same tracks cropping up in two or more albums, so it would be cool to be able to have only one copy of the track - to save on disk space - and then separate the album names with a ";" or whatever. Waddaya think?

Hope to see it in the "official" Winamp 5.0 Wishlist soon!
Yes!!! This totally goes hand in hand with the Media Library Duplicate Smart View or... whatever view you guys come up with to distinguish duplicate music files (with different file names).
Rodan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 06:13   #31
cdunker

any word on this? I just spent a few hours categorizing my music files by genre, using semicolon as a separator between multiple values.

I am crossing my fingers that this feature comes soon -- I really hope I didn't waste my day. If nothing else I can use a smart view to search for different genres...
cdunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 20:32   #32
cdunker

bump?
cdunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 01:39   #33
ismell

Any progress on this ?
ismell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 10:30   #34
Yser

Myyyyyyyyyy Goodnessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Have this feature supported jeezz.

It's been 5 years since we have requested this.

Windows Media Player already has this since version 8, 9.....

Considering switching player because of this.

I'm getting sick of having

"Artist 1, Artist 2, Artist 3".... listed as a separate artist.
Yser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 00:45   #35
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

It all depends on your tagging system. I had the same problem, that multiple artists were shown in the first panel

Simply choose "Album Artist" instead of "Artist" in the first panel.

Album: Bryan Adams - Best of me

I used "Bryan Adams" as "Album Artist" for all tracks and different "Artist" tags.

So the first panel always just shows Bryan Adams (and not for example:
Bryan Adams
Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart & Sting
Bryan adams feat Melanie C).

Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 08:50   #36
apetickler

Me too!

Personally, I'd like to see this feature implemented for all tags. Under my "Album Artist" pane, for example, I have three entries for Bill Laswell and five for Stan Getz. It's kind of annoying.
apetickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 07:05   #37
techuser

Did wmp-like or flac-like or mp3-like (id3v2.3 and id3v2.4) "multiple artist" support ever get added? (= multiple values for the artist tag). This is a very useful feature for classical music.

In other programs, the delimiter to enter multiple values is usually semi-colon or slash ("/"). I think apple m4a format is lacking this however.
techuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 07:09   #38
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
No.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 07:11   #39
techuser

Thanks. Is it planned? It seems like it's been a request for some time now.
techuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 07:17   #40
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
there's things which are far older than this request (complete localisation support and a load of other things already in the wishlist). and i wouldn't rely on that post - things are never certain when it comes to software development (devs can only try to do things but there's never a guarantee just like is the case with all wishes)

-daz

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist