Old 28th June 2005, 11:04   #201
Yathosho
Forum King

it would probably be a good idea to replace the seperators of ListItem ("|") with something else, so one can use it for a listed item. so far i have to replace all | with $\ and all $ with $$. how about making a future version of IOEx use something else (i.e. $\n)?
Yathosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 12:03   #202
deguix
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to deguix
Quote:
Deguix, thanks again for the great plugin even if sometimes I really struggle with the doc.
Sorry about that, maybe I'm better at programming IOEx than at developing docs...

Quote:
it would probably be a good idea to replace the seperators of ListItem ("|") with something else, so one can use it for a listed item. so far i have to replace all | with $\ and all $ with $$. how about making a future version of IOEx use something else (i.e. $\n)?
I might never told you this, but "\n" and "\r" actually work in ListBox, DropList and ComboBox controls. Also, $\n would bring confusion between NSIS syntax. Writing that with WriteINIStr would be not good at all.

There is one thing I could do. I could create some escape characters for the characters used on lists: "\|", "\{" and "\}". It's quite unfare to don't let the user to use those characters as item names.

EDIT: Wow! This thread is quite big! It's going to beat the record of the thread with the most posts in NSIS forums!

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
New projects. (language: any)
deguix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 13:04   #203
Afrow UK

I have an idea. It would be cool to add 'tabs' (like on Desktop Properties). I could use this on one of my installers.

Something like

Type=Tabs
Text=Tab 1|Tab 2
State=1

Text = tab names
State = selected index

The tab clicks would act like NOTIFY and we could use them to change to another IOEx form with the exact same tabs (but with the next one selected with State field).

How easy would this be to implement?

-Stu
Afrow UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 21:42   #204
deguix
Major Dude

Tabs are used to hold other controls. This would be a little easy because it only needs to know which controls are going to appear when one tab is selected. Also, the Tab control will need to hide or show the controls when a tab is selected.

The simplest implementation would be using the value name that I'll add for the next version which is "RefFields" value name. This will be a list of fields to be hidden or shown when tabs are selected or unselected. This list will probably use "|" and "," characters to separate field indexes.

The simplest answer then would be yes. I never thought on this idea until now. Thanks for bringing this up!

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 28th June 2005, 22:09   #205
Afrow UK

Well, ok if you're up for it, that would be great

-Stu
Old 30th June 2005, 16:45   #206
saivert
Banned

Nice, but really needed?

Tabs are great, but I don't know how good looking tabs would be in a Wizard dialog. That's why you got multiple pages and next/back buttons. But since I'm a nice guy I wont overrule this completely. Here is my tips:

Here is my pseudo INI layout:

code:

[Field 1]
Type=TabbedPages
Text=Tab 1|Tab 2|Tab 3
State=1
; You got separate IO pages
Pages=page1.ini|page2.ini|page3.ini
Tab= ;filled in by IOEx

State in this case contains the index of the tabpage that is visible (to follow the same scheme as the other controls).
You must read the [Settings]State key from the page INI of the visible page to check for clicks on controls within a page.
saivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2005, 13:50   #207
deguix
Major Dude

As I said, I had this idea:

code:

Type=Tab
ListItems=Tab 1|Tab 2
State=Tab 2
RefFields=1,2,4|3

That's the simplest, effective and most useful general solution to have the least amount of addition of structure to the DLL. I'm trying to find balance between size and features.
The only thing I need to implement here is the handling of Tab controls and the "RefFields" multiple field ID's to work with, nothing more.

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 2nd July 2005, 15:02   #208
deguix
Major Dude

InstallOptionsEx 2.4.2 beta 3 - DLL

Lately, my betas were slowing down, which is not good for betatesters at all. Also, the TODO's from previous versions which weren't done are now giving a toll on me. Expect to don't have new controls, and to have fast, bugfixing only builds for some versions to come.

For the plugin size, the most responsible for the increases are new INI value names. 3KB were added to the compressed build this version (19 KB now) and half of it were because of new INI value names. I'm expecting it to make somewhat near the 30KB mark at the end of beta development.

Now, on to the new features. ListView control is the newest attraction on IOEx. It has features like CHECKBOXES flag (imported from TreeView control), view mode flags, and extra options just for the REPORT_VIEW (which will be futurely used by Header controls). But Link and Button controls aren't going to be passed aside that easily. They have 2 new dialog flags: COLORREQUEST and FONTREQUEST. Let's see the full list of changes:
  • Added new value names for "Field #" section: RefField, StateImageList, SmallImageList, LargeImageList, HeaderItems, HeaderItemsAlign, HeaderWidth.
  • Added new flags for ListView controls: LIST_VIEW, ICON_VIEW, SMALLICON_VIEW, and REPORT_VIEW and for Link and Button controls: COLORREQUEST, FONTREQUEST.
  • Older INI's braking notice: All values supported by OPEN_FILEREQUEST, SAVE_FILEREQUEST and DIRREQUEST flags for Link and Button
    controls on State value name and UpDown controls on Text value name were transfered to RefField value name.
  • Now Link and Button controls with OPEN_FILEREQUEST, SAVE_FILEREQUEST, DIRREQUEST, COLORREQUEST, FONTREQUEST flags output state values to State value name.
  • UpDown controls now detect automatically the text from its buddy control. State value is not used anymore when the buddy control is set.
  • Older INI's braking notice: All values for TreeView controls on Text value name ware transfered to StateImageList value name.
  • Fixed automatic Custom Draw setting for Label, DropList, ComboBox, and ListBox. Custom Draw setting will only be set if you specify one of the color commands values. Because of this, when this setting is disabled, the colors will be as the Windows' default, and some features like multiline for those controls (except Label) will be disabled. The good news is that this fixes problems when setting text to those controls or change some colors for now. To use custom draw in controls with default color values, use empty values like on "TxtColor=".
  • Added forgotten details about Animation controls support for the State INI value, types of animation supported, TreeView controls support for the StateImageList INI value, and the ONSELCHANGE notification flag.
  • Fixed problems with notifications that executed when other handled or non-handled notifications were activated.
  • Fixed checkbox state changes on TreeView controls when the space key was pressed.
  • Other small bugfixes.
Just a note on this version, this is what I know I couldn't do yet:
  • the flag EDITLABELS is not finished.
  • the "\|" escape character is not implemented yet.
  • there is a bug on the last parameter of FONTREQUEST flag "State" INI value. The color is indicated as a decimal number.
Attached Files
File Type: zip installoptionsex.zip (89.8 KB, 270 views)

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:

Last edited by deguix; 2nd July 2005 at 15:19.
Old 2nd July 2005, 19:10   #209
deguix
Major Dude

InstallOptionsEx 2.4.2 beta 3 post-build 1 - DLL

I forgot to fix a bug before launching it:

- ListItems of ListView controls have problems when setting empty item names.
Attached Files
File Type: zip installoptionsex.zip (89.8 KB, 296 views)

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 3rd July 2005, 07:22   #210
deguix
Major Dude

InstallOptionsEx 2.4.2 beta 3 post-build 2 - DLL

I made two changes to this build:

- Added EDITLABELS flag for TreeView and ListView controls.
- Fixed empty item names for TreeView controls.

This increased the build size in 0.5 KB (now 19.5 KB). First, add features, then remove unnecessary ones and fix bugs.

I think this strategy keeps me from forgetting what I changed in the plugin, because now I always have a list of what changed. I don't know, keep posting versions this quick would be good for posting numbers here in forums. At least, nobody has to wait anymore for features, because they come as fast as I implement them!
Attached Files
File Type: zip installoptionsex.zip (90.3 KB, 314 views)

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 3rd July 2005, 21:04   #211
deguix
Major Dude

InstallOptionsEx 2.4.2 beta 3 post-build 3 - DLL

Another build, and more fixes and additions:

- Added MULTISELECT for ListView controls (made single selection default in this case).
- Fixed the return of State and ListItems INI values for Link and Button controls with COLORREQUEST flag.
Attached Files
File Type: zip installoptionsex.zip (90.5 KB, 370 views)

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 4th July 2005, 07:06   #212
flizebogen

I have a question regarding the Beta 3 Post build 3:

I have the following Ini Code:

code:

[Field 17]
Type=Text
Left=20
Right=120
Top=160
Bottom=175
State=
Flags=Disabled

[Field 18]
Type=Button
Left=130
Right=150
Top=160
Bottom=175
RefField=17
State=
Text=...
Flags=OPEN_FILEREQUEST
NOTIFY=ONCLICK
Filter=All Files|*.*
ToolTipIcon=INFO
ToolTipTitle=Messagetext
ToolTipText=Choose a File to add to your Mail
ToolTipFlags=BALLOON
ToolTipTxtColor=0x000000
ToolTipBgColor=0xE1FFFF
ToolTipMaxWidth=300

I use this 2 Controls to display which file the user had selected. In your Docs you're saying that the Reffield command is input only and that the output of the Filerequest control is the state value of that control. So my question is: Is it still possible that the output is given to another control?
flizebogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 11:55   #213
deguix
Major Dude

It's RefFields, sorry 'bout that.

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 4th July 2005, 12:45   #214
flizebogen

Now i works - thanks
flizebogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 13:00   #215
saivert
Banned

ININININ

I still think my Tab idea is the best. It make the hole thing more structured as you can keep the fields for the different tabs in separate Ini files. Nothing more would be required really. You just have to read more than one INI in your page leave callback function.
Old 5th July 2005, 17:57   #216
deguix
Major Dude

Ok? How about the control IDs of the fields when importing other INI's, would fields have to start at 1 also in those INI's?

1) If yes: This would need extra handling for additional types of control ID's (starting at 1300 for example), a variable containing the groups of tabs that occupy certain ID groups, and a defined limitation of number of controls a page can have. Also, there is the nesting of tabs inside others. What would be the ID's of the controls inside this tab control nested in another? They would have to be in the same ID group, so the division in the number of controls the group could have is halved, and thus the limitation could make the nesting of 5 tab controls, one inside another, to reduce considerably to just 1 control (if the actual limit of controls is 100). I'm not even counting how many INI files you would need to create for this nesting, because that would be in an huge number.

2) If no: What's the reason for creating separated pages then? You'll be limited to use different ID's for the controls anyways. It's a lot better having only 1 INI to worry about. If you need to be in separate pages, why not concatenate the INI files at run-time? That would be easier than adding more KB's to your favorite plugin for nothing. People don't usually use this feature. This feature is not even GUI related.

So, does everyone agree that my idea is better for the future of IOEx?

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:

Last edited by deguix; 5th July 2005 at 18:26.
Old 5th July 2005, 18:31   #217
Afrow UK

I think it's fine. It'll be easier to manage everything in one INI file as well I think.

-Stu
Old 6th July 2005, 04:28   #218
saivert
Banned

So you mean that you want a very huge INI file?
And the controls that are on the tabs are hosted in their own childdialog anyway. You can't just place all contols on one dialog and then do show/hide of controls depending on what tab is selected. No real applications does this. They create separate dialogs for each tab and then swap between these page dialogs (moves active page dialog up z order and hides non-active page dialogs).

Thus you can have separate INI files and you don't have to worry about control IDs as they are unique within each dialog anyway.
Old 6th July 2005, 09:35   #219
deguix
Major Dude

Ok, you have the reason in saying that controls have unique ID's and it does the basic job of Tab controls. I was not studying over this type of control yet (didn't read SDK). I was more thinking on fixing bugs and implementing missing features first, and just then implement controls.

I still don't think I can do it for next versions, because, as I said, it's still a little difficult to manage INI files like that (independent window messages handling and other stuff).

For this, IOEx would need the support to be used for multiple dialogs, and this is a major TODO. If I can get this going, I can also get the creation of independent dialogs which is also a major TODO. However, I need to work first on remodelating the source code for the implementation of external controls (major TODO). As I implemented almost all the controls that don't need the major TODO's (except for HotKey, ScrollBar, ToolBar, StatusBar) IOEx is getting closer and closer from major release.

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 6th July 2005, 16:26   #220
saivert
Banned

I don't think you should work this much on IOEx. The original purpose of IOEx was to bring more control classes to the playground and not be a complete user-interface tool for NSIS. I don't think we need that much in a installer anyway. If NSIS evolved into being a complete apllication development platform, then maybe...

What I would like is an easy way in the original InstallOptions plug-in to set and retrieve listbox items without using SendMessaget and GetDlgItem functions. What about simple functions called "ListboxGetItem", "ListboxSetItem", "ListboxGetCurSel", "ListboxDeleteItem" exported by the plug-in. I hate doing extensive string manipulations on the ListItems INI key (searching for a string matching the State and splitting on "|" character. And the NSIS script language was really not intended for this heavy string processing. The end result: You can drop a listbox and have add/remove buttons so people can configure some app right in the installer (add remove some items).
Old 6th July 2005, 18:23   #221
deguix
Major Dude

1)I don't know what's the future of NSIS, so I don't also know when I should stop developing on what I have. IOEx might be by far behind other user-interface programs, but at least there is something. If I didn't change it, then you would be stuck with IO and you would try to do it also. This also plays an experience role for me. Besides, NSIS is a really easy language to learn and with a powerful compiler that has a very low overhead and that compiles things very fast in slow computers.

2) I know, that's what I'm doing right now. I'm verifying the possibility of organizing the plugin's structure to be more object-orientated, which would allow it to easily export individual functions from the DLL. I'm trying to find what's already available (MFC), get a small part of the things I find and modify them to IOEx's ways. After this optimization I could export any type of function you need. But I'm still looking for information, so don't trust totally on what I say here.

Also, there is one more InstallOptions bug I discovered (without Ex): the text returned by a ComboBox and Text controls can be up to 2 times the actual buffer limit.

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:

Last edited by deguix; 6th July 2005 at 19:11.
Old 6th July 2005, 18:31   #222
Afrow UK

I've always felt that NSIS would be an ideal platform for program development, but it's always lacked some really necessary controls. One thing we could also do with would be to add customised menu (ie File, Edit View etc) and maybe a status bar too.

-Stu
Old 6th July 2005, 18:37   #223
deguix
Major Dude

Yes, of course, I'll get there. But I have no experience with menus whatsoever. What syntax would you suggest?

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 6th July 2005, 20:06   #224
Afrow UK

I think you'd have to have a Field # for each menu item and it would do NOTIFY by default. You won't need to specify the position/size attributes because it will always be put on the top, in order of Field #. E.g.

[Field 1]
Type=Menu
ListItems=Open|Save|Save As

State would be the ListItem that was selected which we can check on the Leave function.

As for sub-menus, that's something different - not sure if we could do that... in fact I doubt there would be any need to anyway. Basic menus are plenty!

-Stu
Old 9th July 2005, 04:23   #225
saivert
Banned

The core of NSIS currently handles the UI in such a strict way that turning it into an application programming platform requires massive changes to the core. The wizard page based system only loads plug-ins in the context of a page, and not persistent through the entire application. My NSIS Debugger plug-in creates a new thread where it handles the message queue of a separate window, but that is a different thing. You can pull off many hacks to take over the wizard dialog of NSIS (my recently posted wansis plug-in demonstrates this) but ultimately in the end it is an installer and nothing else.
Old 9th July 2005, 11:19   #226
deguix
Major Dude

That's true. But if you treated NSIS differently than a installer system, then it would go away from the goal of being NSIS in the first place. Logically, if everybody would want NSIS to turn into an independent language, it would be harder on people looking for building installers effectivelly. I would prefer NSIS to be more of a programming language, but there are others who prefer NSIS as an ideal tool for creating installers. Even though NSIS have few things big programming languages have, those languages don't have an efficient tool for creating installers like NSIS is. kichik has done a good job on equilibrating both. This equilibrium is also thanks to brainsucker for creating the System plugin.

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 18th July 2005, 06:09   #227
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

I agree. I once tried making an installer out of visual basic but that did't work. I see NSIS as an installer system that has its perks. Such as: easy writing of INI files; creates program shortcuts easily; writes to the registry easily; you can use custom graphics; use a background gradient; can use custom made pages; etc... I could go on about it, but to stop taking up space on the server I will stop now.

I have never found such an installer system that was so easy to learn. I use HM NIS edit to edit my .nsi files. The first time I use NIS edit I went straight to the wizard so I could study the script it produced. My skills have increased dramatically. My hangman setup program is an example of my skills. I might post it on my thread "Just a thought.." just to show what could be done.
JasonFriday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2005, 17:39   #228
deguix
Major Dude

InstallOptionsEx 2.4.2 beta 3 post-build 4 - DLL

Wow, I about deleted this build from my computer. Luckly there is a recycle bin which I don't clean often. I've changed these things below:

- Added ListView and TreeView controls support for TxtColor and BgColor values.
- Fixed an interminable loop when UpDown controls had a buddy control that had the ONTEXTCHANGE or ONTEXTUPDATE notification flags.

I can't promise much about beta 4. It's better to do something than be talking about it every time. Also, no more fast builds. I got tired of doing them when I have not much to offer.
Attached Files
File Type: zip installoptionsex.zip (89.9 KB, 334 views)

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 24th July 2005, 18:51   #229
Afrow UK

Will tabs still be added someday?

-Stu
Old 25th July 2005, 05:08   #230
deguix
Major Dude

Yes, of course. But there are a lot of suggestions pending. If you want a feature right away, why don't you help me to add what you want quickly? I'd be glad to have my work changed by someone else .

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 25th July 2005, 10:51   #231
saivert
Banned

Yeah! There are a lot of people who know how to code, but which rather want to wait for others to do it instead.

Come on... make something all of you...
Old 25th July 2005, 10:52   #232
Afrow UK

I'm still a C++ newb and the IO source especially scares me lol
I'll have a mess around with tabs later today and see if I can implement it into IO.

-Stu
Old 25th July 2005, 14:42   #233
saivert
Banned

That's good to hear. I will try to fixup my wansis plug-in to support skinning of tabcontrols. Read more about it in the proper topic.
Old 29th July 2005, 16:54   #234
goldy1064

DropList Problem

Don't know if this is a bug or not, but when I try to use the DropList on Win2k, it is all congested and you can't see the list drop down. I've attached the image and here's the code:

code:

[Field 15]
Type=Label
Text=Select Language:
Left=260
Right=315
Top=8
Bottom=18
Width=
Height=
FontHeight=8

[Field 16]
Type=DropList
ListItems=English|Japanese
State=English
Left=260
Right=350
Top=18
Bottom=
Width=
Height=
ListItemsHeight=12
Notify=ONSELCHANGE
Flags=DROPLIST

Also, all of the items are there in the droplist because when the droplist has focus, I can use the keyboard.
goldy1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 16:56   #235
goldy1064

Oops, here's the image...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp image.bmp (3.6 KB, 296 views)
Old 29th July 2005, 17:05   #236
deguix
Major Dude

Set "ListItemsHeight" INI value to a number bigger than 15 (the default on the current version).

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 29th July 2005, 17:48   #237
goldy1064

This doesn't seem to have any effect. Without ListItemsHeight, it works on XP, just not on 2k.
Old 29th July 2005, 18:57   #238
deguix
Major Dude

I misunderstood your problem. Set the "Bottom" value of your "DropList" to be big enough so that it appears correctly on Win2K (I never had Win2K, so I can't test it). Also, take out the "DROPLIST" flag. This is not needed if you're using a "DropList" type of control.

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 1st August 2005, 16:07   #239
goldy1064

That worked, thanks!
Old 3rd August 2005, 15:22   #240
deguix
Major Dude

InstallOptionsEx 2.4.2 beta 4 - DLL

This time there is some big things: new value names for Settings section that add more compatibility to IO.
  • MUnit INI value name: it adds the ability to use pixels coordinates instead of the dialog units. IOEx just became compatible with InstallOptions 1 pages.
  • Reimplementation of NumFields INI value name: The only thing different from IO is that it now detects the number of fields existent in the INI file automatically as default.
See the full list of changes for this version:
  • Added MUnit value name for Settings section and NotifyCursor for Field # section.
  • Added ListView and TreeView controls support for TxtColor and BgColor values.
  • Added EDITLABELS flag for TreeView and ListView controls and MULTISELECT for ListView controls (made single selection default in this case).
  • Fixed empty item names for TreeView and ListView controls.
  • Fixed the return of State and ListItems INI values for Link and Button controls with COLORREQUEST flag.
  • Fixed an interminable loop when UpDown controls had a buddy control that had the ONTEXTCHANGE or ONTEXTUPDATE notification flags.
  • Re-added NumFields from original InstallOptions for compatibility reasons.
  • Fixed the range of numbers for UpDown controls. Maximum value for MaxLen and MinLen is 2147483646 and the minimum is -2147483646. Also the default values for the two value names are 2147483646 and -2147483646, respectively.
I've discovered the problem that happens with non-WinXP systems about the ComboBox "Height" value:
  • WinXP: 0 = ListItemsHeight + border height * 2 (control is required to show up).
  • Other Versions: 0 = 0 (control doesn't show up).
I tried to expand the notification system but I didn't get far. I knew that it would be better to have separate plugins to capture mouse movements and for key presses than making everything built-in inside one plug-in.
Attached Files
File Type: zip installoptionsex.zip (90.2 KB, 623 views)

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion