Old 13th January 2005, 20:22   #1
dandaman32

Lightbulb InstallShield UI for NSIS

I have created a new UI for NSIS. It's formally called the InstallShield UI for NSIS, but for now I'll just call it the ISUI.

I don't have a web site (yet) but I am going to email KiCHIK about it and it should be released soon. I would appreciate help writing an extensive multi-language support system, so if anyone would like to pitch in on that it would be great.

Because of file size limitations on the Winamp forum server, I can't include the setup program here, but KiCHIK should post the file on http://nsis.sourceforge.net.

I can, however, include the screenshot utility (see attached file)

Any ideas, comments, and suggestions are welcome at dandaman32 <at> users <dot> sourceforge <dot> net.

-dandaman32
Old 13th January 2005, 20:31   #2
Afrow UK

Send to afrowuk at tiscali dot co dot uk and I can host it for you until Kichik does.

-Stu
Old 13th January 2005, 20:47   #3
Afrow UK

Here we are everyone!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/imker/dow...ISetup_1.0.zip

-Stu
Old 13th January 2005, 21:09   #4
Afrow UK

For the design and implementation, I give you 10/10! This is truly amazing!

Now onto the scripting side of it. Firstly you can fix the problem of having to !include your header file after !defines by using !macro's instead. Have a look at my Self-Extractor header file. Every setting is set via an !insertmacro (which are hidden in-turn by more !defines).

The problem with the text.htm page not being displayed inside your ISUI Readme.html page (on IE), is because you've set a classid that defines a page 'Print' button, whereas you want to display an HTML document! Remove the classid code and it'll work in IE.
Also you do not need ActiveX for this.

-Stu
Old 13th January 2005, 21:26   #5
grahama

is there an .nsi example file forthcoming that uses the isui ?
or, do you allready have one in there...
looks great
Old 14th January 2005, 05:04   #6
Anders

is it just me or does the installer leave some files in the temp dir ($plugindir not deleted?) not sure if the problem is with the nsis super packer(whatever the fuck that is) or the installer itself

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Old 14th January 2005, 06:49   #7
Takhir
Major Dude

I like design (yes, 10 points), but:
1) some windows flashes on installer launch and later on page changes, looks bad;
2) it stealed my IE window, where I already wrote a big part of this post;
3) ICQ window (was hidden) suddenly appeared on a short time in the left bottom corner of screen and later in it's normal position (screen right border), but ICQ lost it's XP stype (window corners). I reloaded ICQ and repeated installation start, ICQ bevaviour was absolutely the same as in the first time.
Like Anders I see 4 plug-ins in tmp dir (incuding nsExec).
Installer bugs looks dangerous.
Good news - antivirus check OK.
Win2K Server Rus
Old 14th January 2005, 09:33   #8
Joost Verburg
NSIS MUI Dev

I don't think this is legal. The interface is probably copyrighted and you are using a registered trademark of a company.

Unless you have permission for both things, it would recommend you not to release this UI in the current format. Hosting it on the NSIS site or NSIS archive is therefore also not possible.

However, it could be a nice start for a custom UI, if you design your own graphics and use another name.
Old 14th January 2005, 14:54   #9
Afrow UK

That's a very good point
I don't think including notepad.exe in your installer is a good idea either (you should make a shortcut instead through the installer)!

-Stu
Old 15th January 2005, 03:30   #10
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

Well... is cool alright... but the installer left this window after I cancel the installer..

And the temp folder still having some files, not plugindir...
Attached Images
File Type: png bug.png (33.7 KB, 1214 views)

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Old 15th January 2005, 03:34   #11
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

*sorry double post*

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Old 15th January 2005, 16:10   #12
dandaman32

Thanks for bug reports everyone!

I've written fixes for many of these, and some other behaviors are intentional.

First, I include Notepad to serve as an "example" program. One bug that I noticed is that I had a setup.nsi for Notepad, but it got overwritten when I extracted the setup.nsi file for the main ISUI setup program. This bug was fixed by renaming the ISUI installer setup.nsi to ISUISetup.nsi. The Notepad setup is now setup.nsi.

Second, the temp files bug was fixed by a macro (ISUI_TEMPFILES_DELETE) in version 1.01. This is about to be sent to Afrow UK. Sorry about this...I've had some bad experiences with the $PLUGINSDIR variable, and I just had to use $TEMP instead.

Third, the flashes. This is unavoidable, but nearly nonexistent with fast machines. This is because NSIS resets all of the control colors for the pages when you click Next or Back.

Fourth, the mystery window. (for lobo lunar) The ISUI 1.0 setup program has to minimize all open programs, and your window had the #32770 class (probably) and the setup tried to "minimize" it. This bug is fixed in 1.01 by using a customized "show desktop.scf" file.

Last, the name and UI. First, I did (sorry) start with the Modern UI and added lots more features, but in respect for the NSIS license I did give credit where credit is due ("If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.")

Thanks for hosting afrow uk, and thanks once again to all who gave bug reports! Your input is greatly appreciated!

I dont know how attatchments work yet because i'm new to the winamp forums. obviously the screenshot app didn't go through. sorry.

The new version's setup is known to crash sometimes, but this is because of the MSIBanner plugin (sorry, lobo lunar). This has been proven by creating a test program without the ISUI implementation. If you get problems, try again or restart your pc and this should go away. If it doesn't, run setup with the /SafeMode cmd line switch to disable optional plugins.

Any other comments are welcome on this post and and at my email (see above)

-dandaman32

ExperienceUI for NSIS | Latest project: Enano CMS
Do not PM me on the Winamp forums, I hardly ever check my messages here; you are more likely to get my attention through the ExperienceUI forum.

Last edited by dandaman32; 15th January 2005 at 19:01.
Old 15th January 2005, 16:35   #13
dandaman32

p. s. i also dropped the nsis superpacker

Do not PM me on the Winamp forums, I hardly ever check my messages here; you are more likely to get my attention through the ExperienceUI forum.
Old 15th January 2005, 18:05   #14
Afrow UK

I am aware that you put notepad in for editing scripts, but the fact that you included the exe would be illegal...
Also being that you have included the Windows XP version of notepad means that it probably won't run properly on Win9x anyway!
Just make a shortcut to notepad.exe instead:
CreateShortCut "$SYSTEM\notepad.exe"

And you'd better create your own UI design. Else Macrovision (the InstallShield company) might be on your back pretty soon...

-Stu
Old 15th January 2005, 18:25   #15
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

why MSIBanner gives problems?
It uses the same thread procedure like Banner does...

Old 15th January 2005, 18:57   #16
dandaman32

Afrow UK, you're right. I'll just copy the file from the user's $WINDIR to the install target, and that should clear things up.

The UI file is not the one that is used by the actual IS installers, and it isn't even the same size. It was actually the Modern UI file originally, but I just added more images and stuff. I can legally change one of the color channels by one digit and add a single pixel to the images (I've already customized them a bit) and be out of MacroVision's way. BTW, the Windows XP skin came from Windows XP's annoying forst-time-setup "OOBE" wizard, not from ant IS screenshots or such.

If you guys think the name's a problem, I also agree. I'm totally clueless as to what to name rename it to, so let me know. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of "experience ui".

-dandaman32 (dandaman32 <at> users <dot> sourceforge <dot> net)

Old 15th January 2005, 19:12   #17
dandaman32

afrow uk:
The activex control is there to make it look cool. I made an IE-compatible version of the page, but for some reason the style sheet doesn't work (no idea why). It works great in firefox, and firefox works so much dang better, so I say everyone should just use that. note that the firefox link in the readme doesn't work (i did .org, not .net) This has been corrected for the next release.

Old 15th January 2005, 23:35   #18
bluenet

These is a bug. When I set SpaceTexts none, the label control below Directory page edit control become

Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text
Old 17th January 2005, 18:59   #19
dandaman32

sorry, I used that text for a placeholder while I was developing the ui file. It has been removed for the next release.

-dandaman32

Old 17th January 2005, 19:14   #20
DrO

just had a look at this after a pm i got from kichik over the weekend and now it makes sense to me...

<kichik> think you can help that guy get some prettier buttons there? =)

i think the skinner plugin needs some love to help that out (will see if i can get something useable for just buttons in the next week)

-daz
Old 17th January 2005, 19:27   #21
dandaman32

Alright, the InstallShield UI for NSIS is officially done for. It has been renamed to the ExperienceUI for NSIS or XPUI.

All of the code is the same, just open your script in WordPad, HM NIS Edit or similar and replace all of the "ISUI_"s with XPUI_.

The updated file has been sent to Afrow UK, who has agreed to post it until kichik does.

And thanks once again for hosting this afrow uk, you rock!

-dandaman32
Old 17th January 2005, 21:41   #22
Afrow UK

I'm sure I could write you a little javascript to fix the problem with IE.
I shall upload new file soon.

And I'm glad that you amended your ways - very wise choice!

-Stu
Old 17th January 2005, 21:44   #23
Afrow UK

Ok,

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/imker/dow...SUI-Update.exe

-Stu
Old 17th January 2005, 22:00   #24
Anders

first off, it still leaves files in both $temp and $pluginsdir

why does it have to minimize other windows? (I dont want a program messing with my other windows. It is also hard to get this working for all apps since u cant know how every app works(Some windows minimize to the tray for example, or in an extreme case delete all the files on drive c when u minimize it))

Why is it creating TWO tray icons? (IMHO creating a tray icon is wrong for a setup program)

Old 18th January 2005, 19:26   #25
dandaman32

Minimizer Bug:
Banner and MSIBanner tend to mess up the installer's automatic BringToFront command. That's why the setup app minimizes all other open apps. Since version 1.01, it uses a safer way to do this by using an internal Windows command. If you still have problems, blame Microsoft.

Tray icon bug:
Windows XP is not smart enough to remove the first icon (a balloon trigger) when the remove command is inserted. When you hover your mouse over the icon, however, it disappears. I have seen this happen with other programs too.

Kill IE bug:
The command that closes the Internet Explorer-based music player (the one that only works if your information bar is disabled) for some reason kills the all the IE processes that are running. I think this is because I used nopey's "kill" command. I'll try and clear this up in the next release.

-dandaman32

Old 19th January 2005, 02:55   #26
Anders

when u uninstall it asks if u want to remove all files in $instdir, a normal user will not understand this

problem with $temp files not getting deleted is still here

(attached) drawing bug (running xp sp2 (no windowblinds))
Attached Images
File Type: png gaydraw.png (10.2 KB, 803 views)
Old 20th January 2005, 16:51   #27
dandaman32

Thanks, Anders, I'll try to change it to "the installation directory" instead of "$INSTDIR" in the next release which should be ready soon.

The drawing bug is an issue with RECT ID 1044. I think I will remove this rectangle because it is not used anymore. (it used to be used for the welcome page in the Modern UI)

Old 20th January 2005, 16:54   #28
dandaman32

Here is the first official patch for the XPUI. It contains fixes for the Uninstall Success page and the critical bug that dropped into place when I renamed the program.

Another one is coming; this one will fix the RECT 1044 bug (see prev post) and will update a readme core file.

I will send a setup program to Afrow UK once a few more patches have been cooked up.

-dandaman32
Attached Files
File Type: zip xpuipatch_2.zip (97.1 KB, 504 views)
Old 20th January 2005, 17:08   #29
dandaman32

Here is another patch...this one updates the main UI files and adds a few special FX to the readme.

-dandaman32

ps I am still looking for help for a multi-language system...any volunteers?
Attached Files
File Type: zip xpuipatch_3.zip (69.4 KB, 482 views)
Old 21st January 2005, 21:44   #30
Afrow UK

v2 Uploaded (XPUI)
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/imker/downloads/Setup.exe

-Stu
Old 21st January 2005, 21:46   #31
Afrow UK

I just opened your readme in Firefox, and your object looks like a standard iframe from IE... Am I missing something here?

-Stu
Old 21st January 2005, 22:53   #32
Anders

still leaves files in $pluginsdir and $temp

the non working media player also seems unprofessional

Old 22nd January 2005, 09:49   #33
Afrow UK

I have ActiveX controls disabled.

MediaPlayer.open() uses ActiveX. You should just use:
<param name="FileName" value="setup.mid" />
...which doesn't use ActiveX.

Edit: Also the tray icon's mess up for some reason. At one point there were two at the bottom. If I hovered over them they'd disappear. Make sure you call the dll just before you show the first dialogue, not in onInit (if that is the case).

-Stu
Old 22nd January 2005, 09:53   #34
Afrow UK

And now I'm being picky, but you could at least use XHTML on your docs... <br> bad <br /> good!

-Stu
Old 22nd January 2005, 09:56   #35
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Afrow UK
And now I'm being picky, but you could at least use XHTML on your docs... <br> bad <br /> good!
some people are never happy (like that example midi really grates on my nerves )

-daz
Old 22nd January 2005, 18:29   #36
ToAsTy

I think ExperienceUI for NSIS is turning out well but my only complaint is the ActiveX problem with playing the midi file and the tray Icon not working properly. Other then that the interface is quite pleasing.

Old 22nd January 2005, 18:30   #37
dandaman32

Readme bug (afrow uk):
I'm not sure what to make of the "standard iframe" bug. It seems to work fine in Firefox for me, so you may be missing a plugin or so. Also, I intend to not use XHTML for the readme just for simplicity.

MIDI file:
I'm a musician in my spare time, and I have varied tastes. I realize all you people have even more vaired tastes. Listen to the whole file (its about 5 1/2 mins long) and you'll see what i mean.

Tray icon:
That's an XP bug.

MIDI control page:
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that!

Old 22nd January 2005, 18:41   #38
ToAsTy

Well at least you putting effort into ExperienceUI. You've shown the power of what NSIS can do and what it can offer. So you should give yourself a pat on the back for trying. Not easy doing this by yourself.

Old 22nd January 2005, 21:25   #39
Afrow UK

I've used NotifyIcon before. It's definately not Windows XP!
Compile this example script:
code:
Name "Testing"
OutFile "testing.exe"
XPStyle on

Page Directory
Page InstFiles

Function .onGUIInit
NotifyIcon::Icon /NOUNLOAD yit 103 "Testing"
FunctionEnd

Section ""
NotifyIcon::Icon /NOUNLOAD myn "Testing" "Installing files"
SectionEnd

Works jolly good!

-Stu
Old 22nd January 2005, 21:29   #40
Afrow UK

Here's what the readme frame looks like in Firefox 1.0

-Stu
Attached Images
File Type: png xpui.png (41.7 KB, 971 views)
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion