Old 8th March 2005, 21:06   #81
dandaman32

I have just created a website using two awesome hosts. My main page is http://dandaman32.95mb.com
and the download link is here at FreeWebTown

Thanks for hosting all this time, Afrow UK! Your help is greatly appreciated!

-dandaman32
Old 22nd March 2005, 00:44   #82
dandaman32

Talking New version: 1.05

I have finished work on version 1.05:
Now includes Start Menu and Abort pages, and includes various script bugfixes. Download here.

-dandaman32
Old 2nd April 2005, 19:02   #83
dandaman32

Smile Version 1.06 Sneak Peek

The next release is almost done. I have written a Finish page with reboot, run, and docs support, and the XPUI.nsh file will now be split into several different components. This will allow easier modification to the system, and it makes the whole thing more organized. This will also allow you to add your own macros, etc to the XPUI using the Components\Contrib folder. An example of both features can be found in the attached file.

-dandaman32
Attached Files
File Type: zip finishpreview.zip (97.0 KB, 312 views)
Old 2nd April 2005, 22:56   #84
CuteBird_HL

its very beautiful,thank you dandaman32.
Old 5th April 2005, 22:52   #85
CuteBird_HL

Re: New version: 1.05

Quote:
Originally posted by dandaman32
I have finished work on version 1.05:
Now includes Start Menu and Abort pages, and includes various script bugfixes. Download here.

-dandaman32
I found a problem about v1.05,if you did't select create shoutcut.
Attached Images
File Type: png xpui bug.png (15.1 KB, 557 views)
Old 7th April 2005, 19:09   #86
dandaman32

Thanks. Will be fixed in the next release.

-dandaman32
Old 15th April 2005, 21:54   #87
dandaman32

I have asked the webmaster to (finally) rename this thread to "ExperienceUI for NSIS".

-dandaman32

ExperienceUI for NSIS | Latest project: Enano CMS
Do not PM me on the Winamp forums, I hardly ever check my messages here; you are more likely to get my attention through the ExperienceUI forum.
Old 15th April 2005, 21:55   #88
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

Why ask the webmaster when you can ask the moderator?

Title changed.

NSIS FAQ | NSIS Home Page | Donate $
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius
Old 15th April 2005, 21:55   #89
DrO

you could have asked any moderator to do that for you

-daz
Old 16th April 2005, 02:20   #90
Anders

I have not tried it in a while, are files still not deleted in the temp and plugin folders?

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Old 18th April 2005, 00:37   #91
dandaman32

Quote:
Originally posted by KiCHiK
Why ask the webmaster when you can ask the moderator?
Thanks. Still new to winamp forums.

As of version 1.05, a few changes to the GUI De-init process include automatic temp file removal. Skinners still need to write their own temp file delete macros, though.

-dandaman32
Old 27th April 2005, 15:57   #92
dandaman32

Here's version 1.06!

http://www.freewebtown.com/dandaman3...1.06/Setup.exe

-dandaman32
Old 29th April 2005, 22:03   #93
Dick4

awesome...I like this UI...thanks Dan!
Old 3rd May 2005, 07:33   #94
saivert
Banned

Rename Setup.exe to ExperienceUISetup.exe please!!!!! This is not CD-ROM software.

And I hate it. InstallShield??? What the heck... Wasn't NSIS made to be a fresh seed in the installers garden?

Anyway: Hope you can fix the start-up problems with the installer, and writing a plugin to playback MIDI files instead of using a HTML Application (.HTA) for it.
And why does the installer start minimized, and why does it minimize all other applications?
Old 20th May 2005, 00:58   #95
dandaman32

Version 1.07 is out, with mostly bugfixes
Download it: http://www.freewebtown.com/dandaman3...1.07/Setup.exe

-dandaman32
Old 20th May 2005, 01:29   #96
MichaelFlya

Wow Nice.. Any thoughts on Integrating it as an Option for
zip2exe.exe. I Haven't Found the need to Use zip2exe.exe
yet but Just seems like it would be Nice as Part of it.. heh...

-MichaelFlya-
Old 20th May 2005, 01:34   #97
dandaman32

Sounds like a good idea, however, I know very little C (basic syntax, comments, nothing more) and that's it. Probably Kichik can do it if you ask him

-dandaman32
Old 20th May 2005, 03:09   #98
deguix
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to deguix
You could create a Zip2Exe with NSIS, but it's a lot better be working on Experience UI.

I like your UI, but it has some problems:
- The installer window can't center automatically on my screen (800x600). When I drag it to another position and I click on one of the buttons on the bottom right corner, it seems that the window comes back to the original position.
- After the first time the background image is drawn (outside the installer window), and after the above problem happens, the background image is not redrawn right and the old window's image is still there, until I redraw manually moving the installer window over it.
- More redrawing problems: when I drag the installer window outside the screen and put back, the text from static controls (labels) disappear.
- Is the tray icon supposed to disappear after the installer is loaded? It doesn't appear to be loading. Also, maybe because of this I can't left-click the Windows start button.
- I think you could use nsExec to run the temporary bat script.

I need to restart my computer to see if all of these are true, which I can't right now.

WinXP Home Ed. SP2
NSIS 2.06 latest dev. snap.

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
New projects. (language: any)
Old 20th May 2005, 10:47   #99
deguix
Major Dude

Yep, confirmed, except for:
Quote:
Also, maybe because of this I can't left-click the Windows start button.
NotifyIcon really has problems with WinXP. It lacks the handling of some newer notification icon messages and notifications.

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:

Last edited by deguix; 20th May 2005 at 11:32.
Old 20th May 2005, 12:35   #100
saivert
Banned

Still something...

WIndows XP introduced a feature for programmers that used the Notification Tray icon API that allows one to hide and show the icon. Previously people deleted the icon and readded it when "showing" and "hiding" which meant the icon would appear at a different place next time it was "shown". And you can also check for the validity of the icon under WinXP. In WInXp such icons also has a GUID where you assign a unique ID (generated by yourself). The GUID feature is mostly used by the "hide unused icons" feature.

And I still have to say this one more time: Why do people want their installers to look that fancy. I though people actually didn't even like an installer except if it was as invisible as possible.

I personally have never likes InstallShield. It loads slow and it displays these huge screens that are supposed to "shock you and amaze you so much that you just have to see it through and use the application that it installs on your in their mind super-computer" but fails.
Old 20th May 2005, 16:04   #101
Dick4

The first thing a client sees of your product is the installer and you want that to be functional but also impressive. I myself would be satisfied if all my installers were just self extracting zip files...but my clients are impressed by pretty colors and buttons...nothing cartoony, but "modern" looking. ModernUI does this to a certain extent but this really makes it on par with the rest of the industry.

I've actually still got one installer left that I use InnoSetup for because it looks more like Installshield and IMO looks better than ModernUI.
Old 20th May 2005, 19:20   #102
deguix
Major Dude

Quote:
And I still have to say this one more time: Why do people want their installers to look that fancy. I though people actually didn't even like an installer except if it was as invisible as possible.

I personally have never likes InstallShield. It loads slow and it displays these huge screens that are supposed to "shock you and amaze you so much that you just have to see it through and use the application that it installs on your in their mind super-computer" but fails.
Yep. That's why I also don't like InstallShield, for these things and for packing my registry and harddisk with hidden stuff. The greatest headache is when a program you installed can't be uninstalled because there is a problem with the installation, and so you would need to uninstall it by hand.

Quote:
The first thing a client sees of your product is the installer and you want that to be functional but also impressive.
That's because they like installers that entretain them until they reach to the product (because they want to use the product as quickly as possible). I would love to have a great looking installer, but not occupying most or all of my screen, for example.

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:

Last edited by deguix; 20th May 2005 at 19:53.
Old 21st May 2005, 00:54   #103
saivert
Banned

More 2 cents or maybe a quarter.

And what is the point in making such a huge "hack" (excuse me for calling it that) for NSIS, when most if not all is based on slowly executing code (NSIS compiled code is custom bytecode parsed by a run-time bytecode executer routine). Not that NSIS code is slow all the time but when used in a way such as in ExperienceUI it will be slow.

This just bloats the installer even more. If you want InstallShield then use InstallShield. Don't settle for the next best (excuse me Mr. NSIS but I say this to state my point).

I ofcourse love NSIS and even though InnoSetup comes with source (I downloaded that too of course) I only use NSIS because of it's powerful scripting language and the way you can exploit it to make small applications and not only installers.
Old 21st May 2005, 01:05   #104
Dick4

heh...its funny because I make small applications out of NSIS as well...the functionality of its scripting language is great. I can make a compliled EXE that does what I would have to write a vbscript or similiar to do...
Old 21st May 2005, 18:43   #105
dandaman32

Still looking for a skinning plugin... I think it was DrO that said he would make one but that has not happened. If anyone else wants to make on that would be great.

Quote:
"The installer window can't center automatically on my screen (800x600). When I drag it to another position and I click on one of the buttons on the bottom right corner, it seems that the window comes back to the original position." -deguix
Will make the installer not change position for 800x600 and lower in the next release.

Quote:
"After the first time the background image is drawn (outside the installer window), and after the above problem happens, the background image is not redrawn right and the old window's image is still there, until I redraw manually moving the installer window over it." -deguix
This is probably a LockWindow bug. That code was always a little unstable, but worked fine for me. You can disable it by defining XPUI_NOLOCK.

Quote:
"when I drag the installer window outside the screen and put back, the text from static controls (labels) disappear." -deguix
I noticed that too. Bringing up the start menu over it seems to make it normal again. It does this because of the overlap that is needed for the controls.

Quote:
"Is the tray icon supposed to disappear after the installer is loaded? It doesn't appear to be loading. Also, maybe because of this I can't left-click the Windows start button." -deguix
NotifyIcon has quite a few bugs. For now use the /SafeMode switch, but eventually I can remove it completely. The icon is supposed to stay there after the installer starts, so it can minimize the setup to the tray. It also gives file copy status in a percentage.

I also cannot use nsExec for the bat script, because it waits for it to finish. That is very slow on my machine, even though it is 1.8GHz.

If you don't want to wait for a new release, you may be able to fix these yourself, since the setup script has been improved to compile inside the ExperienceUI installation folder. All of these bugs *except* the drag problem should be fixed in 1.08.

Also is the updater working properly? I have only been able to test it from my machine.

Still looking for language files!
Also would like a small MIDI plugin...

-dandaman32
dandaman32 <at> users <dot> sourceforge <dot> net
Old 22nd May 2005, 23:11   #106
playwin2

If you got Wheel Mouse then scrolling(I mean using wheel) in the Readme and Lic. box is a problem, they just disappeared in my system.
Old 23rd May 2005, 08:18   #107
saivert
Banned

Talking Skinning for NSIS

I have written a plug-in that allows one to use Winamp skins to skin the NSIS dialogs. It uses the code from wa_dlg.h and my own code for the skinning of the frame (which was hidden in the Winamp core, but I think I replicated the code very good).

I yet have to upload it (it's on my home computer somewhere).
But I will post here when I have done so.
Old 23rd May 2005, 12:00   #108
RobGrant

Blimey guys if you don't want to use an installer that looks like this then just don't use it, you've got options. Why complain about it on the thread where it's gradually being made or, indeed, why comment negatively at all?

Well done dandaman, nice work. Looks very pro and will make managers happy
Old 23rd May 2005, 12:20   #109
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by RobGrant
Blimey guys if you don't want to use an installer that looks like this then just don't use it, you've got options.
unfortunately that's the standard of a large number of internet users who rather put down something, moan and bitch about things rather than help and sort things out (which is more beneficial).

and as Rob says, it's good to replicate the interface and style of other installers since it shows how good NSIS is

-daz
Old 23rd May 2005, 17:08   #110
dandaman32

Quote:
"I have written a plug-in that allows one to use Winamp skins to skin the NSIS dialogs." -saivert
Thanks for writing this, saivert. Though it sounds good, it is probably a better idea to allow using just plain bitmaps instead of a winamp skin.

-dandaman32
Old 24th May 2005, 03:13   #111
vbgunz

Send a message via AIM to vbgunz
I agree with RobGrant & DrO. I personally don't use ExperienceUI for NSIS but admire the fact an option is being made available. What would life be without options?

Although I do not use this ExperienceUI I have been keeping tabs on it. Anyhow, keep up the good work dandaman32!
Old 12th June 2005, 12:01   #112
deguix
Major Dude

There are more problems with redrawing:

Quote:
- More redrawing problems: when I drag the installer window outside the screen and put back, the text from static controls (labels) disappear.
This only happens if its a custom page from the skin.

- When uninstalling ExperienceUI, if I just click next, the header color doesn't get redrawn. Also, when click back to return to the first uninstaller page, the image also doesn't get redrawn. This stays there for the rest of the uninstallation process. This only happens if you run the uninstaller from the setup program.
- The warning "This uninstaller removes all..." cuts the last word "continue?". It doesn't have enough space vertically.
Quote:
- Is the tray icon supposed to disappear after the installer is loaded? It doesn't appear to be loading.
It reloads after a certain time has passed.

Other types of problems:

- Do you think it's good deal to install ExperienceUI in two locations, one on NSIS dir, another on Contrib/ExperienceUI? I don't think the copying is necessary.
- Can't you make an unified header file for the installer of Experience UI so that I can, for example, only need to change the version in just 1 place?
- There are some problems also in compiling the scripts of your installer. For example, the line "ChangeUI all tinyui.exe" (number 7) gives this error: "Can't find IDC_LIST1 (1016) in the custom UI!".
- There is also a problem with the StartMenu page on the ExperienceUI installer. If I click on a region on the listbox that don't have items, it gives the folder name "566878", exactly as the define XPUI_LICENSEBKCOLOR value.

The updater is ok, I just need now an updated version of the ExperienceUI to test it more...

My Wiki Pages

Working now on:
Old 1st July 2005, 22:35   #113
dandaman32

There is now an official ExperienceUI website:

http://experienceui.95mb.com
News, updates, inside info and more!

-dandaman32

ExperienceUI for NSIS | Latest project: Enano CMS
Do not PM me on the Winamp forums, I hardly ever check my messages here; you are more likely to get my attention through the ExperienceUI forum.
Old 1st July 2005, 23:26   #114
Yathosho
Forum King

should place some screenshots on that website too
Old 2nd July 2005, 18:32   #115
Joost Verburg
NSIS MUI Dev

Did you contact the company behind InstallShield to make sure that what you are doing is legal? I think it is likely that this design is copyrighted.
Old 2nd July 2005, 18:39   #116
Anders

Quote:
Originally posted by Joost Verburg
Did you contact the company behind InstallShield to make sure that what you are doing is legal? I think it is likely that this design is copyrighted.
I guess I could ask the same question about the MUI. msi, inno setup and the modern ui look pretty much the same

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Old 2nd July 2005, 18:52   #117
Joost Verburg
NSIS MUI Dev

Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
I guess I could ask the same question about the MUI. msi, inno setup and the modern ui look pretty much the same
That's because the Modern UI is based on the standard Windows wizard style, just like these other installers. This is the design Microsoft recommends, it can be used by any application.

The only reason I'm asking this question is because I don't want the author of this UI to get into troubles because of legal issues.
Old 2nd July 2005, 21:32   #118
onad

Wink

Well, what about mobile phones then, they all look somtimes extreamly the same... ))

Indeed the EXACT same grapics if taken from InstallShield is not allowed, e.g. the PC image on the first screen. But to create something that looks a lot like it can not be forbidden, really. NSIS Modern looks like an MS installer and is also allowed.

It is good to discuss it however.

"Just do it"
Old 3rd July 2005, 11:15   #119
Joost Verburg
NSIS MUI Dev

The question wheather two designs are too similar is a difficult one. But it looks like exactly the same design is used, which I think cannot be legal unless permission is given.

The design of the Modern UI is indeed similar to MS installer, but that's because it uses the standard MS wizard design. MS allows everyone to use this style, because they want Windows application to have a uniform look.
Old 4th July 2005, 11:48   #120
ZmAn3

i made some that are as close as i can get if you want them
http://www.emeraldcpu.com/nsisgfx/
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion