Old 20th July 2005, 10:51   #1
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

what's the point asking for this?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=221451

we are asked to support the moderators by reporting things that are against forum rules.

But what good does it when reports are not dealt with?

I have seen at least 4 threads in the discussion part that are against the rules.
yet all 4 haven't been closed, edited or whatever a mod can do with a thread.

3 of them are from today but 1 other is already more than 24 hours old. Gives me the idea that this forum part isn't frequently visited by moderators.

End of rant
carry on.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 11:20   #2
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I love locking and banning.
PM me
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 12:32   #3
protegechris
Forum Queen

Or just... don't go to the sc forums anymore..

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 13:58   #4
tuckerm
Forum Emo

i find it easier just to pm a mod thats online..it dont matter who just as long as it gets deals with
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 20:40   #5
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Well, we all have jurisdiction over all threads regarless of what assignments we supposedly have.
Old 20th July 2005, 23:34   #6
sgtfuzzbubble011

I don't ever really visit the SC forums, but like Chev said, all the mods have powers in all the forums. I'm not using invisible mode any more, so if anyone sees a thread in SC that needs lockage and none of the SC mods are around, don't hesitate to send a PM.

Also, don't forget that a lot of the mods are in different timezones, so not everyone can get to post/thread lock requests very quickly. And of course, RL and jobs play a part in that equation as well.

We do appreciate all the help we can get, though. So don't think the PMs and reports are falling on deaf ears.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 00:53   #7
Print
Forum King

Make spaceplay a mod. Problem solved.

Though i've always wondered.. who is at the top of the ladder here on the forums.

Is Ethan_h numero uno?
Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 00:56   #8
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Craig is the topdog, or at least was last I checked.
Spaceplay is my top nominee for mod and has been for a long time.
Old 21st July 2005, 06:49   #9
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

*Votes Spaceplay*
Reasons being, he is always intelligent, clear, helpful, and won't take any shit whilst never losing his pixel-temper.
Also in relation to timezones he's on the European side, am unsure how many Euro-mods we have besides Mr Jones.
Evil Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 07:46   #10
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by mrs_squid

Also in relation to timezones he's on the European side, am unsure how many Euro-mods we have besides Mr Jones.
Quite a few...
Bilbo
Craig
Egg
DrO
Ethan
'Boon
Rovastar
will
'seer
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 10:17   #11
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Quite a few...
Bilbo
Craig
Egg
DrO
Ethan
'Boon
Rovastar
will
'seer
problem isn't the number of moderators that are in the european time zones, problem is like stated in Sarge his post above to get them to lurk into the shoutcast part more often.

of the moderators mentioned by Jones here hardly anyone ( except Will at the moment, due to his work with the dsp) ever visits the shoutcast part.

that problem was tackled before by making Germ a shoutcast mod , but recently he hasn't been around much.
Tom hardly ever stays longer there than a day or 5 a month.
Craig has the admin part also on his shoulders , means everything has to be done by Jay who also happens to run his own stuff (radiotoolbox).

results are that there is hardly ever a Moderator "on Duty" in the shoutcast area.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 21st July 2005, 10:23   #12
protegechris
Forum Queen

Report this post to a moderator. That's all that needs to be done.

There wouldn't be near as much conflict in those forums if the people who frequent them would do something more productive than post whore things like "this has been asked before please search". That's not tech support that's just post pumping.

If you would all stop just telling them to search, and post a few links and state they were obtained by searching, then chances are next time they have a problem they'll use the search.

edit:

See this thread:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=222030

Megarock handled that question how he should handle it. Nick@ss posted links. That is a much more effective way of solving someones problem than saying "search for - it's been discussed before". If you can make them understand that you obtained their answer via the search, and encourage them to look through the forums from now on, chances are they will..

yeah, i'm back.
Old 21st July 2005, 10:46   #13
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris

If you would all stop just telling them to search, and post a few links and state they were obtained by searching, then chances are next time they have a problem they'll use the search.
nope it won't make people use the search next time they have a question , it will make them post more easily because answers are given to them on a silver plate, Hey why the hack should i search , I just post the question and those stupid volunteers hand me several usefull links , all i have to do is click the link and hey there is the answer, even microsoft paid support isn't that good.

no Chris , it won't work that way and you bloody well know that. People are lazy by default ( why else was the remote controle developed?) and want everything handed to them, custom made solutions.

why do we have drive in restaurants?? because we are too lazy to get out butts out of the car.

and btw since when are you suddenly so nice and helpfull??? i do recall a totally different guy who thought he was helping out in Shoutcast tech support but was only flaming new members and posted most of the times lines like - search before asking here?????????

and major point in this discussion , read the top sticky by CraigF , those are the forum guidelines and what do they say to you???? read and search before posting.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 21st July 2005, 10:51   #14
protegechris
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by spaceplay
nope it won't make people use the search next time they have a question , it will make them post more easily because answers are given to them on a silver plate, Hey why the hack should i search , I just post the question and those stupid volunteers hand me several usefull links , all i have to do is click the link and hey there is the answer, even microsoft paid support isn't that good.

no Chris , it won't work that way and you bloody well know that. People are lazy by default ( why else was the remote controle developed?) and want everything handed to them, custom made solutions.

why do we have drive in restaurants?? because we are too lazy to get out butts out of the car.

and btw since when are you suddenly so nice and helpfull??? i do recall a totally different guy who thought he was helping out in Shoutcast tech support but was only flaming new members and posted most of the times lines like - search before asking here?????????

and major point in this discussion , read the top sticky by CraigF , those are the forum guidelines and what do they say to you???? read and search before posting.
What I wanna know is when you stopped being nice and helpful.

I'm nice and helpful since I started reading you bitching at these guys for not searching and realized I looked like a total ass.

Read and search before posting, great. So maybe they do need new mods. Anyone who posts a question you can answer in search, just lock their thread and tell them to search. That's an IDEAL way to run a support forum.

Hell, they might as well just lock the tech support forum since just about any imaginable question can be answered through searching.

You've established they aren't going to search so why make posts like
Quote:
search and you shall find.

this has been answered before over and over again, it's all about your OS volume settings.

search for stereomix ( other search words might give better or more results)

And could you please start using normal english, this is a forum and not a chatbox.
thank you.
In the time it took to type that you could have given him the link and been done with it.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 21st July 2005, 11:34   #15
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris
What I wanna know is when you stopped being nice and helpful.
haven't stopped nor changed anything , still posting in the same way as i did a year ago.

i've seen them come and go , guys like you, joshcoombs etc, jump in think you know it all , bash those who don't know that much , get warned a few times and than suddenly leave like you never been there.

Be honest Chris, you know that you can't last a month without telling somebody to search before posting.
So why attack me for something that is in the guidelines of this forum.
You have been on the edge of getting banned from this forum a few times, due to flaming new members, yet you now ride that high horse looking like you are a saint.

remember that those who climb high can also fall down a long way.

End of discussion as far as i care.
To bad you turned this way, you used to be a good kid, little wild but a good kid, too bad you changed for the worst.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 21st July 2005, 11:38   #16
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

My view is that people do search to find the answers, and the ones that don't bother are the ones who post questions, as a point of fact the majority of people who visit these forums are guests rather than registered users.

My guess would be these guests are reading/searching the mass of existing threads for whatever they need, the ones who are too lazy, can't find what they want or can't find it in a format they understand are the ones registering and asking the questions. What do I base that assumption off?, I visit plenty of other forums outside of here, often seeking answers to questions I might have, I've browsed plenty of places looking for answers where I haven't bothered to sign up to do so, haven't needed to sign up if I can find it right away

Point of fact, right now at 1230 on Thursday, there are 49 registered users and 669 guests, that's a heck of a difference and it's usually mirrored that way all day every day, out of those 49 registered users I recognise nearly half of them as long time users/posters or there abouts.

You may think the search isn't working and that the majority of people don't use it, I would argue that it's the other way around and the majority of guests do use it, even if half the people who are on line now are finding the answers they want by searching thats at least 4 or 5 times the ammount of people who have signed up to ask the obvious questions.

And it's not just applicable to SHOUTcasting, people ask the obvious questions in every single forum here.
how do I make a avs preset
how do I develop *insert plugin*
how do I make a modern skin
how do I make a classic skin
how do I shoutcast
how do I make winamp do this
my winamp is broke how do I fix it

And so on and so on, dumb questions with obvious answers is not exclusive to radio broadcasting.

You will never ever stop people asking questions not matter how big and bold you put the forum guidelines or how obvious the search button is, not everyone is as clever as you might be and there will always be some that just have to ask , be content in the fact that huge volumes of unregistered guests are searching, looking and reading what has gone before, if this wasn't the case you would see the registrations of this place sky rocket and the questions multiply like rabbits.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 11:39   #17
protegechris
Forum Queen

Changed for the worst.. why? Because I disagreed with you? I'm not insulting you, hell you're one of my favorite members here and you run one of my favorite stations, I just think that there's too much drama surrounding those forums, and I don't understand why anyone who gets aggravated by them would want to moderate them. That's why I left. I still post there when I'm bored though.

I was warned in mid 2004, I have not been "warned" since then so I don't see why you keep bringing that up either.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 21st July 2005, 13:21   #18
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

You guys need to chill on each other and address the problem here. I'm sure that we mods are all in agreement that you guys are a great help to us by reporting posts. All I'm saying is that for a quicker response, PM someone you know to be online rather than use the report post link.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist