Old 9th August 2000, 03:51   #1
jward
Whitey

Send a message via ICQ to jward Send a message via AIM to jward
Ok guys

Brennen asked me to put together a list of the most frequently requested additions to Winamp. Here is what is on the list. You can be rest assured that the dev team will read these and take them under consideration.

If your suggestion is on the list PLEASE DO NOT POST IT AGAIN. We have heard you. We love you. We listen.

Lets all do our best to keep this forum managable so that your ideas are readily absorbed by the people who need them the most.

· Multiple profile support for different users (settings, skins, etc.)
· Better support for variable bit rate
· Crossfade option and crossfade waveout
· Pitch control
· Proxy support for CDDB (over HTTP)
· Better shuffle functionality
· Play list scheduler
· Gapless play (yeah, I know it is already in there but I thought that you would like to know that this is the most requested item)
· Support for multi-media keyboards
· Bring back the counter that told how long you had been listening (3 years, 2 months, 12 day, 5 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds……get a life)
· Support for HUGE files (example was over 2 gb. I guess that it would work for movies or something. Not really sure.)
· Support for longer song titles (more than 30 chars)
· I am listening to monkey radio as I write this.
· Remove song from play list option
· Support for multiple AVS at a time
· Ability to select a song by play list # (so that people that use IR remote can punch in the number of the song that they want)
· AVS Docking
· AVS as a Screensaver
· Sleep timer for Winamp / Alarm clock function
· Autoloading of skins for particular songs
· Autoloading of AVS for particular songs
· Multiple columns in the playlist
· Different icons for different file types
· Support for zip/rar files
· Delete tab for skins/plug-ins
· Better equalizer
· Beats per minute counter (a lot of positive responses for this one)
· Load random skin at start-up
· Built-in IRC for shoutcast
Old 9th August 2000, 07:39   #2
SexyLoserKitten
Moderator Alumni

I just have to say, that's beautiful

------------------
SexyLoserKitten1@aol.com

Sex without foreplay is like drinking without getting drunk...
Old 9th August 2000, 15:37   #3
Wish

Winamp should just associated itself with mp3 and m3u when you install it, not associate with every format that is supported. This will solve a lot of problems from ppl complaning about Winamp stealing their associations. If you want it to play other file formats in Winamp, you can just select them in preferences, this is much more preferable.

Old 9th August 2000, 15:48   #4
r3

[quote]Gapless play (yeah, I know it is already in there but I thought that you would like to know that this is the most requested item)[quote]

How about correct gapless play by using a fundamental fix instead of fighting symptoms?
http://albumid.cjb.net

Old 9th August 2000, 16:02   #5
old and quite mad
Major Dude

I am old, I may be going blind also.

Does anyone see mention of AGC anywhere in this list?
Old 9th August 2000, 16:07   #6
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Oh YEAH !!!!! This compiled wishlist is a whole lot loveable . NICE NICE NICE !!!

------------------
I'm the grass,
let me grow
Old 9th August 2000, 22:30   #8
Budgie
Major Dude

Yeppers, I have mentioned that ( actually well-known ... *sigh* ) Nitrane decoding bug ( 100 Hz-decoding fails ) several times before - So please, Nullsoft, keep up da great work and *PLEASE* fix this bug ...
Hmm, by the way, some more MMX-tuning would come in handy

------------------
I'm the grass,
let me grow
Old 9th August 2000, 22:46   #9
Dr Satan

Send a message via ICQ to Dr Satan
Skin translucency has been flying about recently too. But yeah, AGC has been requested to death.

I don't see anything wrong with the shuffle option.
Old 10th August 2000, 19:25   #10
SexyLoserKitten
Moderator Alumni

And besides the AGC, one more thing that i'm pretty sure isn't mentioned in there...could there possibly maybe somehow be a space on the winamp site to post AVS er, WVS presets made by the users? Ya know, osrta have it like the skin section and all...just a thought

------------------
SexyLoserKitten1@aol.com

"..To grunt and sweat under a weary life, But the dread of something after death...Be all my sins remembered.."
Old 14th August 2000, 12:52   #11
Thor
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Thor Send a message via AIM to Thor
This list rockzz man!

But as some people said it's not complete.
Here is the complete one :

· Better support for variable bit rate
· Crossfade option and crossfade waveout
· Pitch control
· Proxy support for CDDB (over HTTP)
· Better shuffle functionality
· Play list scheduler
· Gapless play (yeah, I know it is already in there but I thought that you would like to know that this is the most requested item)
· Support for multi-media keyboards
· Bring back the counter that told how long you had been listening (3 years, 2 months, 12 day, 5 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds……get a life)
· Support for HUGE files (example was over 2 gb. I guess that it would work for movies or something. Not really sure.)
· Support for longer song titles (more than 30 chars)
· I am listening to monkey radio as I write this.
· Remove song from play list option
· Support for multiple AVS at a time
· Ability to select a song by play list # (so that people that use IR remote can punch in the number of the song that they want)
· AVS Docking
· AVS as a Screensaver
· Sleep timer for Winamp / Alarm clock function
· Autoloading of skins for particular songs
· Autoloading of AVS for particular songs
· Multiple columns in the playlist
· Different icons for different file types
· Delete tab for skins/plug-ins
· Better equalizer
· Beats per minute counter (a lot of positive responses for this one)
· Load random skin at start-up
· Built-in IRC for shoutcast
WHAT YOU FORGOT :
. AGC
. fix the Nitrane decoding bug (100 Hz)
. Skin translucency (?)
. posting AVS/WVS presents on winamp.com

That's the list people!
I will mail it to Brennen myself and I hope he will listen ...

THOR

------------------
-------------------
VISIT :VIS-O-RAMA !!!
Mail me at : thor@eego.net
Old 14th August 2000, 14:20   #12
Teufel Diener

Scroll mouse support.

Not automaticly going to amazon.com in the
MB every time a song changes.

Ability to sort by date, rating, or author on the Skins and Plugins page.

Order forms for groovy winamp t-shirts.

Free waffle recipies.

------------------
Sonique? Fuck that shit! Winamp Blue Ribbon!
malevolent_prosector@hotmail.com
[img]http://smilecwm.***********/net3/couto.gif[/img]
Old 18th August 2000, 03:04   #13
steve
Intolerant Ex-Administrator

Send a message via AIM to steve
Interesting list. I'm taking requests by skinners for certain features for when designing skins, any ideas?

-steve

------------------
Steve Gedikian - steve@nullsoft.com
Senior Graphics Designer - Nullsoft, Inc.

Nullsoft - http://www.nullsoft.com
Winamp - http://www.winamp.com
SHOUTcast - http://www.SHOUTcast.com
Old 8th October 2000, 16:00   #14
_Armand_

What about adding support for EAX, i.e. allowing users to change their EAX scheme directly from winamp, that would rock

Old 8th October 2000, 16:41   #15
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

-a plugin for sending music to a portable player
-scripting language? make it have some built in functions for submiting html forums. sounds like someone could create some cool shit.
-bigger font on the .plan page
-mountain dew for all
Old 9th October 2000, 19:56   #16
sgtfuzzbubble011

I've heard this before, but how about a search for the skin browser. This would be great for those of us with over 450 skins... It'd be kinda like the J or F3 function, but for skins.

------------------
Give me heavy machinery or give me death!
Old 9th October 2000, 23:45   #17
Dr Satan

You have to be carefull with adding scripting languages. I don't want to be worrying about mp3s containing viruses. And anyone who points out the grammatical error I just made, shall die, slowly. For I shall beat you to death with an exploded powerpack.
Old 10th October 2000, 02:41   #18
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
I've gotta say, this is.. just a BEAUTIFUL topic "sniff".

and YES! I want gapless output too, but not the way we've got it now. The only options we have are shitty plugins which take up too many system resources. Plus, you have to choose between instant stop or TRUE gapless output. Of course Coolplayer is so fucking fast that it doesn't NEED any plugins for it. (of course the option isn't there, either)

------------------
Click HERE if you think Sonique ROCKS!

[edit]don't link to pages that intentionally try to crash browsers. it's not nice. -Mr. Ice[/edit]

[This message has been edited by Billzo (edited October 20, 2000).]
Old 10th October 2000, 04:27   #19
Jayn
Honorary Vixen
(Forum Queen)

Send a message via ICQ to Jayn Send a message via AIM to Jayn
I think it would be nice...skinwise...if there were no more tiles on the PL, MB and AVS/WVS...those can be the biggest pain when you're trying to keep a "theme" running through a skin!

Also, if Winamp could support other file types besides .bmp.....maybe .gif or .png, that would be sweet!

Also, (last also...I promise )....check out TheMike's MikroAMP, if we could do transparencies on Winamp as easily as we can do them on MikroAMP (it has a "base" image, any pixel that's white on that is transparent, anything with color is visible, then the other images are "layered" on top of that), doing cool transparencies would finally be fun!

------------------
Jayn
WSD Skins
Old 10th October 2000, 06:26   #20
DJ fruitloopz

ReDVsion, i would like to make a comment about your stupid ass. i hate sonique, but being the curious and humor loving person that i am, i clicked on your little"if you think sonique rocks click here" thing. most normal people would put a funny picture or a big sign that says fuck you or somthing,but anyways that shit crashed my computer and i lost lots of info. so anywayz,the "fuck you" and the appropriate finger goes to you!

[This message has been edited by DJ fruitloopz (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old 10th October 2000, 14:04   #21
Crissov

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thor:
[...]
WHAT YOU FORGOT :
. AGC
. fix the Nitrane decoding bug (100 Hz)
. Skin translucency (?)
. posting AVS/WVS presents on winamp.com
[...]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And additionally - as requested a lot - support for longer + more ID3 tags, i.e. ID3v2 - or at least ID2v1.1

Old 11th October 2000, 01:45   #22
Jimbeau

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jward:
Ok guys

Brennen asked me to put together a list of the most frequently requested additions to Winamp. Here is what is on the list. You can be rest assured that the dev team will read these and take them under consideration.

If your suggestion is on the list PLEASE DO NOT POST IT AGAIN. We have heard you. We love you. We listen.

Lets all do our best to keep this forum managable so that your ideas are readily absorbed by the people who need them the most.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yay!!
By the way, there IS a way to do this AND keep those winamp.ini files I know some folks like so much. In the Options/Preferences area of the menu, perhaps under setup, put a configuration storage item, and use that to set the path for the winamp.ini file. Store that path in the registry, somewhere under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch, probably in \Softwate\Nullsoft\Winamp (You'll have to add that, of course, in the Winamp setup), and have the program look in that key on startup. It'll always find the path to Winamp.ini there, for whichever user is logged on. On a single-user system, that will be the default user, and there'll only be one winamp.ini. On a multiuser system, ther will be more than one winamp.ini, but your key will always hold the current user's version. If there is no winamp.ini at that location, winamp could start in its default state, as it does now, when there is no winamp.ini.
Another thing you could do (more complicated, but sets a default option), is first check for the C:\WINDOWS\Profiles folder. No such folder=single-user system. Then you could set a default location in the Preferences area for the winamp.ini. If the folder DOES exist, you're running in a multiuser environment, and your default might change. The current user's logon name is found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon.
The key is "username" and the data field contains the user's logon name. You can also find the Profile directory under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProfileReconciliation. The key there is "ProfileDirectory" and the data field contains the path to the user's profile directory. Even better is to take that last branch, and continue to\AppData. The key to use there is "DefaultDir" and the data field contains the path to the user's Application Data folder. If you add a \Nullsoft\Winamp\ folder to this path, you'll have a good default value to offer the user for storage of his winamp.ini file.
You will, of course, need to create any folders that do not exist, so this last option is probably the easiest, since the DefaultDir key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProfileReconciliation\AppData holds values of directories which already exist, so you know you'd only have to create \Nullsoft\Winamp.
By the way, in a multiuser system, the Users' data is held in C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\&lt;username&gt;, EXCEPT for the first user created on the system, whose data is in *windir, which, in the case of the Application Data folder, is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data. The profile directory in the "ProfileDirectory" key is STILL C:|WINDOWS\Profiles\&lt;username&gt;, however. I have no idea why Microsoft did such a thing.
In any case, this might be an easy compromise between going the full registry route for user profiles, and retaining the winamp.ini files, which do have certain advantages. Also, BTW, in order to maintain real multiuser functionality, you'll want to offer the user places to store the path to the CWD, and also a place to store the winamp.m3u that is created by default. This way, the user will always find Winamp the way he/she left it. You can, of course, use schemes like the ones above to offer defaults to each user.
Old 11th October 2000, 05:47   #23
Kevin
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJ fruitloopz:
ReDVsion, i would like to make a comment about your stupid ass. i hate sonique, but being the curious and humor loving person that i am, i clicked on your little"if you hate sonique click here" thing. most normal people would put a funny picture or a big sign that says fuck you or somthing,but anyways that shit crashed my computer and i lost lots of info. so anywayz,the "fuck you" and the appropriate finger goes to you!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats too bad. I got just got a friendly DNS Error. What is this supposed to do ReDVision?
Old 11th October 2000, 08:28   #24
DJ fruitloopz

i gotta stop drinking. KEVIN, im telling redvision to fuck off. ???? anywayz its in the past, so pass me the vodka please.
Old 11th October 2000, 20:02   #25
Dr Satan

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steve:
Interesting list. I'm taking requests by skinners for certain features for when designing skins, any ideas?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm still for the alpha channel. Been thinking about speed matters though. Perhaps make it so the alpha channel is only applyed when the window is stationary.

All that would be needed is for winamp to 'print screen' its surroundings, layer itself on top then apply the alpha channel to its layer. Sorted.

Probably easier said then coded tho.
Old 11th October 2000, 21:11   #26
Oda

Well if you added .gif filetypes for making skins your could acheive animation in skins along with transparency. Also gifs have more size/quality characteristics than bmp. Overall .gif's in skins would help.

Old 12th October 2000, 17:12   #27
Dr Satan

Winamp already has gif-type transparancy without the colour loss. But animation would be nice to have.

When I say alpha channel, I'm on about the full 256 steps of translucency, which would be a gif/png file included with the skin to determine its transparancy levels.
Old 13th October 2000, 21:57   #28
ComVirt

I have a great idea that would help alot with playing some games. Some games dont allow you to make the game have no sound without completely turning off the sound. A cool feature would be a option to make WinAmp the only thing making sound. So that you could listen to muzik on winamp and not worry about the other shit.

Old 13th October 2000, 22:18   #29
webwizard19

Good on yer, tis very irresponsible of him
PS
if you have the latest updates for windows, then it won't crash your system (still irresponsible though)
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJ fruitloopz:
i gotta stop drinking. KEVIN, im telling redvision to fuck off. ???? anywayz its in the past, so pass me the vodka please.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 14th October 2000, 00:31   #30
DJ fruitloopz

yo webwizard, i do have the latest upgrades.
(still irresponsible tho!)

------------------
"I think I stepped in llama shit again"
Old 14th October 2000, 16:54   #31
JarekL

Just add "Jump after current" option in jump to song dialog box.... It would be cool...
Thanx
Old 15th October 2000, 14:02   #32
ILA

PLAYLIST SORT BY DATE !!
I want to easy hear my newest/oldest songs!

Old 15th October 2000, 22:27   #33
Winston

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jward:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope this means extensions like MDZ, S3Z, ITZ, XMZ, MDR etc... the compressed modules...

A good idea would be to look at Modplug Player to see how it works there... i.e. it works great!

Keep on whipping the lama's ass!

Greets from Winston.

Old 16th October 2000, 09:49   #34
bigjohns97

Send a message via ICQ to bigjohns97
I would like to see a sound plugin (much like the direct sound plugin) that supports dolby surround. There are drivers for this becuase they are in such games like the phantom menace, by lucas arts. when i use these audio settings in the game it sound so much better than anything else i have ever heard. I have a sb128 with my front channel hook into my stereo reciever and rear channel into some pc speakers. with this dolby support you would be able to take winamp to a whole other level when listening to music at home it would be awsome. thanks.
Old 16th October 2000, 19:38   #35
iamscoops

I would like to be able to drag and drop internet links to streamed files (such as mp3.com or shoutcast streams) to my playlist.

Old 17th October 2000, 08:54   #36
Damage Inc.

Addendum to wishlist:

- ID3v2 tag support (everyone else has it)
- Repeat ONE Button
- AAC decoder

Old 17th October 2000, 09:29   #37
Wish
Major Dude

ID3V2 is already supported in the alpha 18 decoder(final version of the decoder to be included in Winamp 2.666). Winamp 3 will support ID3V2.

To get the alpha 18 decoder, go here.<A HREF="http://forums.winamp.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002071.html" TARGET=_blank>
Alpha 18</A>

[This message has been edited by Wish (edited October 19, 2000).]
Old 17th October 2000, 14:05   #38
Budgie
Major Dude

Another addendum to Wishlist:

-&gt; I totally agree with the "Repeat-ONE"-function

-&gt; improved Equalizer (like more bands and better quality)

-&gt; keep the Nitrane-decoder or optimize the new MP3 plugin for the Satan-release *way* better (not all of you have 500 Mhz CPUs)

------------------
I'm the grass,
let me grow
Old 19th October 2000, 02:56   #39
Someonebutnotme

Are these features to be seen in Winamp 3? if so isn't nitrane no more?

Old 20th October 2000, 01:18   #40
m3s3lf

Hey! You know what else would be nice? Well, first of all, you forgot support for the newest version of ID3 and it would be kewl if you could sort the playlist by album (contained in ID3).
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist