Old 9th January 2001, 05:52   #41
DMoney

Send a message via AIM to DMoney Send a message via Yahoo to DMoney
Quote:
Originally posted by Neuwk
A Linux port of WinAMP??? Wouldn't that defy the name of WinAMP?

HaHaHa Who said Linux get the best software
No one. And no one ever said Windows gets the most intelligent users. Case in point.
Ever work tech support for Windows machines? No? Consider yourself blessed.
Praise Linux.
DMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2001, 10:33   #42
eu/NEKE

Send a message via ICQ to eu/NEKE
If every1's so keen to get a functional version of "LinAMP" how about u go and get a PC emulator for linux? the u can have "LinWin" too! My current favourite is VMWare coz it supports _everything_ you can throw at it
eu/NEKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2001, 12:42   #43
theelf

Re: Re: Linux blows

Quote:
Originally posted by jns
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackwolf
I tried Corels Linux, it chewed my Windows partitions. Linux is a mean little creature. Winamp should never be ported over. You linux people have your OSF go get them to write you a MP3 player, or write it yourself.

Linux is bad
Tried slackware?
Thats what happens when some unknowing person trys something they know absolutly nothing about and don't bother to read any instructions. The software used to repartion your HD is Partition Magic which is a commerical program written for Windows.
There are mp3 players written for Linux but not Winamp.
Try these thoughts on for size- Linux dosen't crash and doesn't get virus and because it is open source all the software developed for it works instead of causing the BSOD or the aforementioned crashes.
theelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2001, 08:30   #44
jns
Forum King

Linux is good
Linus is god

jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2001, 17:04   #45
DMoney

Quote:
Originally posted by eu/NEKE
If every1's so keen to get a functional version of "LinAMP" how about u go and get a PC emulator for linux? the u can have "LinWin" too! My current favourite is VMWare coz it supports _everything_ you can throw at it
VMWare is definately a spiffy way to go if you wanna run Win32 apps with no problems(outside of the basic BSODs and GPFs) under Linux. ...unfortunately it actually RUNS Windows under Linux, so unless you have a large surplus of RAM and a healthy processor, this can be extrememly difficult if not at least a bit taxing and horridly slow.
Old 25th January 2001, 17:09   #46
DMoney

Also, like I posted previously, you can run WinAmp through Wine in Linux...seems to work decently, though because Wine is still ALPHA its got a lot of quirks when running certain things...has a tendency to cause the system to lock when you restart...has a problem unloading the sound module...but that could just be because the only system I've tried it on has the AC97 integrated sound which sucks anyways...
But like Ice said, v3.x is being ported to *nix so just hang tight til then...it shouldn't be TOO much longer...right? RIGHT? >=)
Old 26th January 2001, 12:56   #47
ADent

Can you run both Windows and Linux on one computer?
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 16:56   #48
Omnislash

Send a message via ICQ to Omnislash Send a message via AIM to Omnislash
Quote:
Try these thoughts on for size- Linux dosen't crash and doesn't get virus and because it is open source all the software developed for it works instead of causing the BSOD or the aforementioned crashes.
I take it you've never used Linux entensively. Ever heard of a kernel panic or a core dump? What makes you think that OSS programs never crash? Remember, 95% of Linux software is written in people's FREE TIME. To expect that Linux software doesn't crash because "It's Open Source!" is ridiculous. And what makes you think there aren't any Linux viruses? When people run as root on their boxes all the time, then that's a security hole that is easily exploited. There are plenty of security holes in Linux. "Linux" isn't a magic anti-hacker word.

Don't Ever Antagonize The Horn.
Omnislash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 17:22   #49
jns
Forum King

I agree, it is not, unless people know what they're doing.

Old 30th January 2001, 13:58   #50
AmpliDex
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AmpliDex Send a message via AIM to AmpliDex Send a message via Yahoo to AmpliDex
Linux is indeed better than Windows, according to what I had read recently. Anyway, as far as LinuxAmp goes, I think that a Linux version of Winamp is indeed a darn good idea! However, you can still run Winamp in Linux!

Webgraph

E-mail/MSN: robnet10@mail.com
Yahoo: webgraph10
AmpliDex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2001, 20:05   #51
Spaceknarf

Send a message via ICQ to Spaceknarf
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Omnislash
Quote:
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
LOLOLOLOLOL
Spaceknarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2001, 14:25   #52
DMoney

Quote:
Originally posted by Omnislash
Quote:
I take it you've never used Linux entensively. Ever heard of a kernel panic or a core dump? What makes you think that OSS programs never crash?
It happens...crashes are bound to happen with any OS. Its unavoidable. Its software, written by people...its not perfect. But, as for its invincibity to virii, that it a total misconception. Linux has an excellent virus track record figuring that more virii are made for Windows in one week than have ever been made for Linux in its 11 years. One reason is that the same type of kids that are writing virii for Windows are the folks that are writing programs for Linux. Remember the old hacker slogan..."free access to information...free software..." etc etc...
Anyway...its too early...back to bed...
Old 4th February 2001, 23:32   #53
AmpliDex
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AmpliDex Send a message via AIM to AmpliDex Send a message via Yahoo to AmpliDex
Darn right! Who exactly needs to use Windows anyway! Bill gates is a traitor to technology! I wished he didn't strike that deal to put Windows on all the computers in the universe. That's stupid! Diversity is necessary! That's how Netscape lost popularity (even though it's still better than IE)! Man! SCREW THOSE MICROSOFT IDIOTS! However, Linux is growing in popularity faster than Windows and Microsoft's just killing themselves by violating more laws! I just hope Microsoft becomes bankrupt one of these days!

Webgraph

Old 5th February 2001, 16:10   #54
Omnislash

Quote:
It happens...crashes are bound to happen with any OS. Its unavoidable. Its software, written by people...its not perfect. But, as for its invincibity to virii, that it a total misconception. Linux has an excellent virus track record figuring that more virii are made for Windows in one week than have ever been made for Linux in its 11 years.
Of course, Linux has only risen to real prominence in the last two or threee years. Mac OS has a similar paucity of viruses as well, and its very closed source.

Quote:
One reason is that the same type of kids that are writing virii for Windows are the folks that are writing programs for Linux.
Not true. Real hackers have a huge disdain for script kiddies that use preprogrammed tools to do stupid shit, like DDoSing major websites. People who write viruses should be in no way considered the same as people who write useful software.

Quote:
Remember the old hacker slogan..."free access to information...free software..." etc etc...
Of course, this has little to do with crashes. But you're right; better products are made when information is shared. Unfortunately, little money is made.

Old 5th February 2001, 18:42   #55
jns
Forum King

Why care about money when you can care about fun?

Old 6th February 2001, 00:35   #56
AmpliDex
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Omnislash
Quote:
It happens...crashes are bound to happen with any OS. Its unavoidable. Its software, written by people...its not perfect. But, as for its invincibity to virii, that it a total misconception. Linux has an excellent virus track record figuring that more virii are made for Windows in one week than have ever been made for Linux in its 11 years.
Of course, Linux has only risen to real prominence in the last two or threee years. Mac OS has a similar paucity of viruses as well, and its very closed source.

Quote:
One reason is that the same type of kids that are writing virii for Windows are the folks that are writing programs for Linux.
Not true. Real hackers have a huge disdain for script kiddies that use preprogrammed tools to do stupid shit, like DDoSing major websites. People who write viruses should be in no way considered the same as people who write useful software.

Quote:
Remember the old hacker slogan..."free access to information...free software..." etc etc...
Of course, this has little to do with crashes. But you're right; better products are made when information is shared. Unfortunately, little money is made.
I agree with that, but then again, no software is perfect! But I'll always hate Microsoft! If you're confused about this issue, I don't blame ya!

Webgraph

Old 9th February 2001, 17:44   #57
jns
Forum King

I'd blame those who'd get confused with people hating microsoft.
Err, or actually, I would get confused with people not hating microsoft.

Old 9th February 2001, 21:26   #58
AmpliDex
Major Dude

Just because Microsoft's the biggest doesn't mean that they're the best! They might have 80% of the market share right now, but Linux is increasing in popularity because of its increased stability and flexibility. Also, Corel Linux isn't good! So if you're wondering which Linux is the best, get Linux Mandrake 7.2! But I think Nullsoft should make their program compatible on all platforms, even on Mac, OS/2 Warp, and Solaris systems. I predict that by next year, it will be a 50/50 fight of Microsoft vs. Linux.

Webgraph

Old 11th February 2001, 12:10   #59
jns
Forum King

Or slackware

Old 12th February 2001, 18:17   #60
Omnislash

You could do it with a fat binary, as in the NeXT style. That would be really cool.

Old 15th February 2001, 23:20   #61
freakyman

Linux-UNIX winamp bad, 8i Netware Winamp GOOD

8i is basically a faster(and better looking) UNIX/Linux and Netware looks like it can hold it's part of it as well.

The redneck !@#$%^&*(&^^%#@$%^&*(*$#@$%^&*( from IRC
Freakyman
freakyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2001, 15:28   #62
freakyman

Linux suckz

Rev Ike, u know what to do to this thread.

Linux will be gone in 2031, so just get NT and be happy
freakyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2001, 11:03   #63
RacingCaptain

Linux sucks on what basis? You see, the whole idea of a discussion/argument is that you put forward your view (you've managed, well done) but then (here comes the hard bit) you've got to back it up with this thing called 'evidence' which you have gained from another thing that people call 'experience'.

I find that linux is not the cure for the worlds ills, but for any purpose (except maybe games and computer cluelesses) it's better than Windoze, merely because of its stability and configurability. It's not any harder to use, and I actually find it easier to set up because all the groovy settings aren't hidden away through 40 menus by some minion of G8s trying to stop us tweaking so we have to buy faster computers.
Plus, there's the whole giant corporation thing and associated moral things.

Right, I'm done.
RacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2001, 11:05   #64
jns
Forum King

Could I agree more?
Maybe.

Old 23rd February 2001, 03:18   #65
fuct'n'bored

Send a message via Yahoo to fuct'n'bored
may i just point out at this point that pritty much everyone who is saying that linux suks phrases it as somethin like "linux sucs" where as people who say that linux is good say something like "because" or "but" and then come up with a REASON!!

ps. most people aganst linux are junior membors
pps. most people for linux are seinor or ubove
ppps. who do u trust
pppps. please ignore the number of my posts
fuct'n'bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2001, 09:53   #66
RacingCaptain

FnB > lol! never noticed that, but you do seem to have a point
RacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2001, 14:42   #67
jns
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by fuct'n'bored
ppps. who do u trust
Not myself.

Old 24th February 2001, 17:30   #68
donglekey0

Send a message via AIM to donglekey0
Re: Linux blows

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackwolf
Linux is bad
Corel Linux is bad and Corel isn't continuing work on it because Microsoft invested so much money into them (they now have sold their shares so I don't know what is going to happen). I would say to try Mandrake, their installation is very easy, the partitioning shouldn't be a problem.
donglekey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2001, 17:48   #69
donglekey0

Quote:
"Linux" isn't a magic anti-hacker word.
But I am sure you realize that it helps. Running as root all the time probably doesn't, but with a few stokes of common sense Linux can be much more secure that windows. I am sure you know this, I am just saying this so people don't get the wrong idea, so don't think I am disagreeing with you.
Old 24th February 2001, 17:55   #70
donglekey0

Quote:
"Linux" isn't a magic anti-hacker word.
But I am sure you realize that it helps. Running as root all the time probably doesn't, but with a few stokes of common sense Linux can be much more secure that windows. I am sure you know this, I am just saying this so people don't get the wrong idea, so don't think I am disagreeing with you.
Old 25th February 2001, 02:40   #71
compupc1

Send a message via AIM to compupc1
You've said it, DMoney

I must say I wholeheartedly agree with DMoney's earlier post! Personally, I am an avid user of BOTH Windows and Linux. Each has its place in my little corner of the computing world. As such, I suggest that we cease this blatently futile flame war.

I'll tell you, it's really nice to have the exact same app (e.g. Winamp/Linamp) for multiple platforms. Although XMMS is very similar to Winamp, having a Linamp, X86Amp, or such would make things simpler. I suppose the only things that wouldn't be compatible between the two would be most plugins and maybe WMA file support. That's my two cents up for grabs. It is my suggestion that everyone take their share.
compupc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2001, 14:21   #72
jns
Forum King

I'm not flaming anyone!
(Except maybe myself.. )

Old 2nd March 2001, 00:15   #73
AmpliDex
Major Dude

Re: Linux suckz

Quote:
Originally posted by freakyman
Rev Ike, u know what to do to this thread.

Linux will be gone in 2031, so just get NT and be happy
I think you're barking at the wrong tree, man! Linux's kernel has a higher stability than the stability on Windows 95/98/NT/2000/Me. Linux has a more user-friendly interface than Windows! Linux doesn't cause as much illegal operations at all! As a matter of fact, W2K and Linux are jabbing each other to the wall with their programs!

Webgraph

Old 3rd March 2001, 12:33   #74
jns
Forum King

Both systems are good for different things, but I find linux more useful than any windows os, and would rather use linux, etc, blah blah..

Old 5th March 2001, 00:14   #75
AmpliDex
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by jns
Both systems are good for different things, but I find linux more useful than any windows os, and would rather use linux, etc, blah blah..
I agree, jns! However, I'm going to see what Windows XP is all about in April. I currently have Windows Me right now, which is better than Windows 98, but the rest of the Microsoft programs are fucking bullshit, especially IE!

Webgraph

Old 5th March 2001, 05:23   #76
xapec

Quote:
i like linux, winamp needs to be ported to linux, but i have a freind who's had linux crash on him - yes it does crash, but rarely.
Old 5th March 2001, 13:28   #77
jns
Forum King

Yes. Linux crashes. But it is rare indeed.
Fact: Windows crashes several times/day.

Old 5th March 2001, 17:26   #78
donglekey0

Quote:
Originally posted by jns
Yes. Linux crashes. But it is rare indeed.
Fact: Windows crashes several times/day.
Yes, it is rare but to give everyone a perspective on just how rare I will present a case from my friend and me. I don't run Linux even though I love it, because I need to use certain programs that aren't for Linux (right now). I have reset my computer at least once a day, most of the time 2 or 3 times using shitty windows me. My friend has been running Linux straight, without turning off his computer, without rebooting, for 90 days!! He told me "yeah X windows or gnome has a memory leak in it and I have to close it down and start it up again (which takes about 10 seconds) every three weeks because it starts to use up memory." Now to say Linux (the kernel) never crashes is impossible but I just thought I wuld give everyone a real world example of just how rock solid Linux is.
Old 5th March 2001, 18:08   #79
donglekey0

Quote:
Originally posted by AmpliDex
I agree, jns! However, I'm going to see what Windows XP is all about in April. I currently have Windows Me right now, which is better than Windows 98, but the rest of the Microsoft programs are fucking bullshit, especially IE! [/B]
I always thought IE was one of the better programs. I hate windows me although I think that Windows XP will be pretty cool except for the copy protection madness. I always thought netscape was bloated. Oh well, anyone who hated MS stuff is ok by me.
Old 6th March 2001, 07:46   #80
jns
Forum King

IE is NOT one of the better programs.
It crashes all the time, often causing windows to crash too.
Netscape on the other hand, ported to more systems, and also more stable..

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist