How safe do you feel now at night?

Here is more infomation in PDF format

http://www.toool.nl/bumping.pdf
A Crazy German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2006, 23:05   #2
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
It's actually very difficult, and doing it wrong ruins not only the key, but the lock as well. The bump key can get stuck, and then you are completely screwed (you being the theif, that is)
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 23:06   #3
webthing
Forum King

^ speaking from experience.
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 02:46   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

You can take most cars with a hammer and a screwdriver. And as far as most household locks you can just twist the doorknob out with a pipewrench.

But there are problems. You might find me behind the door with a shotgun.

Then you are completely screwed

^speaking from experience
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 03:42   #5
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
On my car & truck, you need a remote with the right frequency and a key with a chip in it before it'll start. If you try to get in or take the vehicle any other way, the alarm sounds and annoys everyone within a quarter mile.

On the house, the dogs will tell us and the trusty neighbors if someone unfamiliar stops by for a visit. Plus, the sheriff's shack is only two football field lenghs away.

And, just like RoH, everyone that lives around here including me loves hunting, so we're all well armed.

Needless to say we don't worry about security that much.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 06:45   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

Dogs are a good deterrent. Even little ankle biters. I read a statistic that you are 4 times less likely to get jacked if you have a dog, even an ankle biter.

I don't know why, but bad guys are usually scared of dogs. I have a rottweiler. She probably wouldn't bite you even if you did break in the house, but that "rotty" sound she makes when she barks would make me choose another house.

I used to sell security alarms, and what I probably would have never told you is that having alarm stickers on your windows and doors is nearly as effective as actually having an alarm.

In the US, you'll get burgled (on the average) about every 4 years. Multiply that number by 4, if you have a dog, have stickers on your windows, or installed an alarm system.

That sticker and dog part was something I sort of omitted when I was doing alarm system sales

Burglars want a nice quiet easy target, and there are plenty of people to steal from.

Go get a $3 pack of window stickers at Radioshack. Bad guys will just go to the next house. Same with your car.

No matter what, if somebody really wants your stuff, they'll get it, but like I said, they'res easy targets a plenty.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 17th August 2006 at 07:37.
Old 17th August 2006, 08:32   #7
zootm
Forum King

My only real defence is living on the 3rd (top) floor and not having anything of value which doesn't weigh a ton.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 17:59   #8
Mattress
Forum King

Thanks for the advice, RoH. We've been thinking about getting a doberman, but we'd have to move as our apt doesn't allow pets. Stickers sounds like a good idea.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 19:01   #9
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

If you get a dog, check with your insurance company - they often cancel a lot of coverage when you get certain kinds of dogs:

German Sheppard
Rot
Pitbull
Doberman
Chow
Mastiff
and more...

So be careful in your selection. Even a little dog is good, not for the ability to physically harm the intruder, but for the bark that acts as an alarm.

Old 17th August 2006, 19:22   #10
rockouthippie
Banned

"unknown mixed breed" is the word you are looking for with the insurance company.

Yep, and it's silly too. I think the golden retrievers I've had were much more likely to take a chunk out of you, than any of the dobies I had.

None of the dobies ever bit me, but the golden retrievers almost all did. Once Same with labs. They tend to be more high strung, and if they get afraid..... look out.

Rottys aren't afraid of anything. So, you have to go out of your way to make them mean. It's about the same with pit bulls, except I've seen females "go bad" after having puppies. And if they go bad, they really go bad. German shepherds and dobies can go either way, but reputable breeders can give you a proper dog. Fear is the killer. If you have an afraid dog, you have a mean dog.

Social exposure is tantamount, thats why Daisy goes with me to the Home Depot, the coffee shop, the farmers market and about anywhere dogs are allowed. If they don't fear people, they won't eat them.

Actually, the only dog I ever had that really mauled anybody was a big lab bitch named Lucy, the dude she tore up, really deserved it.

And yeah, the guy sued..... He broke in my house, hit the dog with a tire iron after smashing my window out, and got tore a new hole, including losing his right hand thumb.

Whacked out junkie on "dust". He didn't win, and he still owes me for my attorney fees.... like I'll ever see that by the time he gets out of prison for 20 felonies or so. That was about 20 years ago and I think he's still in prison.

Hell today, he might even have won the suit. A cop told me that if I ever had to shoot a home intruder to shoot to kill, because one sided stories are always better.

It is a screwed up world, when your dog protects your house and the criminal can sue you. I get my house broken into, have to replace the window and the carpet because I couldn't get the blood out if it, the dog eventually died from her wounds, AND I GET A $1500 attorney bill and a grand in vet bills.

Some days you just wonder.

Thing about it was too is that there wasn't a hell of a lot house in my house worth stealing. I guess I should have left the door open.

Of course that happened too, some little roach chiseled the door lock out of my car to steal the stereo. THE OTHER DOOR WAS OPEN, and is all he did was break the stereo. He never did get it out!.

I'll stop before I bust a vein, but this is why I moved out to Hillsboro, and until they built the megajail here, I could leave my doors unlocked.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 17th August 2006 at 20:39.
Old 18th August 2006, 14:54   #11
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
If you get a dog, check with your insurance company - they often cancel a lot of coverage when you get certain kinds of dogs:
What kind of coverage are you talking about being cancelled here? Anne is partial to Dobies having grown up with them. I would kill a little yapper dog myself if she didn't get to it first.
Old 18th August 2006, 18:24   #12
rockouthippie
Banned

Liability insurance for a homeowners policy or renters insurance. You should be able to shop some insurance still though. Not all of the insurance companies are nuts.

Sometimes they will require you to post a "Beware of dog" sign in lieu of denying coverage. That's the case with my friend who has an alaskan malamute. He took a slight rate increase too, but maybe a couple bucks a month.

That big bastard scares me a little. He's kind twitchy. He will behave for me fine, because I'm used to dogs. But he's just a little too aggressive. I wouldn't have him around kids.
Old 18th August 2006, 19:23   #13
Mattress
Forum King

Beware of Dog sign is no big deal. We were also thinking about a Malamute, though they're probably too hairy for us. They're so cute though.
Old 18th August 2006, 20:51   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

I really like dobies and rottys. They are easy to groom and don't smell much. Easy to groom too. Training them has to be done right though, because they can be a bad weapon if not socialized or left untrained. Done right, they are friendly, sweet and appropriately protective.

I always try to raise the sweetest dogs I can. If needed, their instinct will turn them back into what you needed for protection.

If you need an attack trained dog, I usually wait until they are 2 years old. It makes a better, more controllable deterrent. The reason is that they think of attack as "work" rather than inciting their natural aggression. And then, there are some of them that are just unsuitable... too aggressive....

You don't want to make a gun that goes off by itself

Last edited by rockouthippie; 18th August 2006 at 21:21.
Old 20th August 2006, 04:30   #15
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

"Farmers' Insurance" (I'm referring to the brand, not just insurance for farmers - available to everyone) is the only one I found that allows any breed of dog without rate increases or other hoops to jump through.

My insurance (State Farm) doesn't mind my 3 labs, but I don't know that any company cares about labs.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News