Old 17th December 2006, 08:22   #1
Pamarro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2
Send a message via ICQ to Pamarro Send a message via AIM to Pamarro Send a message via Yahoo to Pamarro
Date Added vs. Last Updated

These are two different concepts that I want to point out:

- Date Added: The date that the file was added to the library. This is an unchanged parameter, unless the file is later removed from the library.

- Last Updated: The date that the file was last updated. This is variable. When you change the file's info for instance, this parameter will change.

Winamp is currently treating the concepts "Added" and "Updated" similarly, i.e. my "Recently Added" list contains files that were recently updated, not just added. So when I updated a whole bunch of files in my library, my truly recently added songs get lost in this messy list.

Is it possible to add a new field (or parameter, whatever it is called) to the ML called "Date Added", which has to be a static parameter? In other words, when a file is added to the library, the "Date Added" parameter is recorded, and stays unchanged.

WMP always has this, and I'm not so sure about the copyright issue.
Pamarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2006, 23:57   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,341
Yep, this really sounds like a valid feature request, but I doubt, that this will get a high priority on the todo list, heh.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 23:16   #3
natenjo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6
I'd want that too thats like the only feature missing in winamp
natenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:57   #4
doggod
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12
Yeees, me want too!!!!

Way overdue....?!?
doggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 08:21   #5
DateAdded
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
From 2006 to 2013, this still has not been added....
someone needs to throw someone in a concentration camp.....

i need more dots for all those who google "winamp date added" clicks this forum thread and see's the same thing i have..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................



seriously its so fucking simple just some god damn data management and i know its in the Media Library tab but i want it in my Customize Columns.
DateAdded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 13:43   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
ur approach isn't going to get it done. yes, its been requested, many times:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=304863

the focus is currently on the droid app, but maybe they will do something about this at some point.

its hard to handle though, you need file creation and modified dates, but also some kind of value showing when the file was actually added to the DB, which isn't going to be in the file properties.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 14:26   #7
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
maybe it is 'so fucking simple' but no one has done it and swearing won't get it done any sooner.

what's basically needed is storing the current date when the file first enters the local db, and then in-turn it'd need a new local db column and the value being exposed in any / all db responses from library plug-ins as well as internally to make use of the value.

that's reasonably simple enough to do, is just a matter of a) time and b) it actually making sense to be implemented in the product rather than just doing it for the sake of doing it (i'm not disagreeing that likely it should have been done from the start but it wasn't).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 14:37   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i think that would work if the file was unchanged. but what if its moved, renamed, or updated in its tags? how would winamp know its the same file?

perhaps some kind of analysis could be done, like audio fingerprinting, and that hash could be a custom tag, and winamp could track the file as long as it had that tag in place?

i remember similar discussions at slim, about how to track files.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 14:59   #9
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
if it's moved / renamed / etc outside of the library then it's going to do exactly the same as it already does - the entry would become dead and you'd have to re-add it, etc.

as an initial implementation, just storing the date when the library first sees a file achieves the 'date added' request (with it dropping back to use the 'last updated' if 'date added' is not present for compatibility with existing installs). and based on what 'date added' is meant to mean, irrespective of what happens to the file, setting the date as when it was added (if new or a replacement for a moved file, etc) is then consistent with other parts of Winamp.


i'm not disagreeing that the library needs to be 'smarter' but it's not going to be able to do so without extra (and potentially more involved) changes to achieve it.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 15:48   #10
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
The work-around I use is to use a tag I don't normally use (i.e. Category) to save my files' creation dates. Then I add it to the columns I normally shown in the media library when I need to know that bit of info.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 16:08   #11
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
creation date is different from the date added to the library. or am i just completely missing what people are thinking 'date added' is about? if so then i'm not going to touch this (even though using 'date added' as the time the file is added to the local db would help me with something i'm working on).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 16:41   #12
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
creation date is different from the date added to the library.
That can be true. In my case they are the same or no more than 3 days apart. When adding to my collection, I work with a small enough number of files so that I can complete the vetting process and get them into the database within that amount of time.

Which I happen to be doing now with about 40 files.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 18:21   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
creation date is different from the date added to the library. or am i just completely missing what people are thinking 'date added' is about? if so then i'm not going to touch this (even though using 'date added' as the time the file is added to the local db would help me with something i'm working on).

-daz
DrO,

i think you have it right.

lets define terms:

creation date = the date in the files properties that represents when the file was actually made. this date does NOT necessarily have any relation or bearing as to when it was added to winamp.

modified date = the date in the files properties that represents when the file was last updated, usually meaning a change in values in its tags. this date also does NOT necessarily have any relation or bearing as to when it was added to winamp.

added date = the date winamp first saw this file. this value is not in the files properties. this value is also not currently stored in winamp, afaik.

from my reading of the threads, people want the ability to discern between "recently added" files to the winamp DB, and "recently modified" files, which are those that have been changed recently, but aren't necessarily new.

i haven't seen [many] people want a way to sort by file creation date, but it couldn't hurt to have that as well. the main issue with that is that if you ever move your collection from one HD to another, the "new" collection on the new HD will all have the same date, and close to the same time, b/c that property isn't preserved, and besides it doesn't necessarily mean thats when it was added to winamp anyway.

another file property that could be added in addition to the above, is "last accessed"

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 18:26   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
if it's moved / renamed / etc outside of the library then it's going to do exactly the same as it already does - the entry would become dead and you'd have to re-add it, etc.

as an initial implementation, just storing the date when the library first sees a file achieves the 'date added' request (with it dropping back to use the 'last updated' if 'date added' is not present for compatibility with existing installs). and based on what 'date added' is meant to mean, irrespective of what happens to the file, setting the date as when it was added (if new or a replacement for a moved file, etc) is then consistent with other parts of Winamp.

i'm not disagreeing that the library needs to be 'smarter' but it's not going to be able to do so without extra (and potentially more involved) changes to achieve it.

-daz
i'm with you 100% and agree that something is better than nothing.

people will just have to understand that moving or renaming a filename will have this effect, (but changing tags, thankfully, will not)


PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 18:37   #15
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i haven't seen [many] people want a way to sort by file creation date, but it couldn't hurt to have that as well. the main issue with that is that if you ever move your collection from one HD to another, the "new" collection on the new HD will all have the same date, and close to the same time, b/c that property isn't preserved, and besides it doesn't necessarily mean thats when it was added to winamp anyway.

another file property that could be added in addition to the above, is "last accessed"
A good and valid point about moving files to a new drive when you want to maintain historical accuracy.

Doesn't the 'Recently Played' list use the last accessed date? The default list limits the list to the last 2 weeks, but could not a smart view be made with no limit?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 18:44   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
A good and valid point about moving files to a new drive when you want to maintain historical accuracy.

Doesn't the 'Recently Played' list use the last accessed date? The default list limits the list to the last 2 weeks, but could not a smart view be made with no limit?
i don't think so, but i'm not certain. a file can be accessed without being played, like by mp3tag. also, winamp has options about when a file should be tracked, but maybe that only applies to the history list. the last played column is i think, a winamp DB only column ignoring the accessed file property, but i can't say that for sure, and i can't say for sure what criteria put it there or not, and if the prefs influence that or not.

EDIT: i am basically sure however that the "Recently Played" smartview or "Last played" column do not populate based on the "last accessed" file property.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 19:04   #17
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i don't think so, but i'm not certain. a file can be accessed without being played, ...
Of course you are right, last accessed date can not used for that list. I doing too much multi-tasking today and not thinking things thru.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 01:43   #18
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
the last played column is i think, a winamp DB only column ignoring the accessed file property, but i can't say that for sure, and i can't say for sure what criteria put it there or not, and if the prefs influence that or not.
it's updated whenever anything is done on the local db entry be that induced by a file change or a metadata change, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i am basically sure however that the "Recently Played" smartview or "Last played" column do not populate based on the "last accessed" file property.
uses the same 'lastplay' value and is related purely to the tracking options and not external file or metadata updates.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Doesn't the 'Recently Played' list use the last accessed date? The default list limits the list to the last 2 weeks, but could not a smart view be made with no limit?
it uses 'lastplay' so you can change it to go further back as needed. though to have 'no limit' would be easier to just use a full view and sort by the last played column.


anyhow... attachment is with one new column and two existing ones which are generally being mentioned in here (where file time is taken from the last modified time of the file - this is how it's always done that column so is not 'new' ).

the update was done via a read metadata on selection 41seconds after i'd added the files to the library and the file time is due to editing the tags in the files on the date shown.

the logic (once coded) is to use 'lastupd' on a new client update to be used to populate 'dateadded' and from there on any files added to the db will just use the time the add request was actioned at.

-daz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	date_added.png
Views:	355
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	50176  
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 06:06   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it's updated whenever anything is done on the local db entry be that induced by a file change or a metadata change, etc.
i could be wrong, but i just did some testing, and short of playing the file, i could not get the "played last" column to update. tried rating a file, changing the title, etc.

it seems to me thats how it should be. the "last updated" column (which i don't use) should prob track that stuff though.

--
EDIT: in fact, just reading metdata via right click is enough to update the "last updated" column.
--

i think "played last" is controlled by prefs > ML > local media > options tab > recently played, and i would assume it would influence the history tracker as well, but i don't know any of this to be true for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
uses the same 'lastplay' value and is related purely to the tracking options and not external file or metadata updates.
ok, i figured that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it uses 'lastplay' so you can change it to go further back as needed. though to have 'no limit' would be easier to just use a full view and sort by the last played column.
do you mean like the way the "history" screen is now kinda? it seems to have a no limit if unchecked. interestingly, i have 6 weird items in my history list, that have no last played date, and have 0 plays, and one is even a jpg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
anyhow... attachment is with one new column and two existing ones which are generally being mentioned in here (where file time is taken from the last modified time of the file - this is how it's always done that column so is not 'new' ).
i'm confused. so date added is the time that the file is first scanned into winamp, and that value can not be altered short of removing the file altogether, right?

you then have last updated, and file time. last updated should show when the file was last modified, right? a metadata update or whatever. its a file property, right? so it would update (or a rescan) even if mp3tag made the last modification, right?

so what is file time for then? the file time is the earliest timedate stamp in your pic.

maybe it would be easier if instead of me trying to determine it, you would define terms for how you want each column to work? i'm sure i'd be fine with what you are trying to do, i'm just not following you here, so maybe its just me, but i'm trying to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
the update was done via a read metadata on selection 41seconds after i'd added the files to the library and the file time is due to editing the tags in the files on the date shown.

the logic (once coded) is to use 'lastupd' on a new client update to be used to populate 'dateadded' and from there on any files added to the db will just use the time the add request was actioned at.

-daz
one thing that i find confusing, is the prefs for "played last" column vs the history prefs. are they supposed to act totally independently of each other?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 19:27   #20
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i could be wrong, but i just did some testing, and short of playing the file, i could not get the "played last" column to update. tried rating a file, changing the title, etc.

it seems to me thats how it should be. the "last updated" column (which i don't use) should prob track that stuff though.

--
EDIT: in fact, just reading metdata via right click is enough to update the "last updated" column.
maybe it's not covering all cases, though i've not seen a failure with my tests but i've a) never really paid attention to the column before and b) anything is likely with these original columns.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i think "played last" is controlled by prefs > ML > local media > options tab > recently played, and i would assume it would influence the history tracker as well, but i don't know any of this to be true for sure.
history is independent of last played. history really should have been a general purpose plug-in rather than a library one as it doesn't rely on ml_local to do things - and i don't believe it makes any updates on the ml_local db.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
do you mean like the way the "history" screen is now kinda? it seems to have a no limit if unchecked. interestingly, i have 6 weird items in my history list, that have no last played date, and have 0 plays, and one is even a jpg!
yes. history tracks _anything_ whereas 'lastplay' is specific to library items. i don't know why it was done that way and as no one who's around who made that design decision well over a decade ago, it's how it is and will pretty much stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i'm confused. so date added is the time that the file is first scanned into winamp, and that value can not be altered short of removing the file altogether, right?
correct. it's the date added to the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
you then have last updated, and file time. last updated should show when the file was last modified, right? a metadata update or whatever. its a file property, right? so it would update (or a rescan) even if mp3tag made the last modification, right?
i only showed the other existing column as they were being mentioned in the post previously. last updated is the last time a change is meant to have been made to the db entry (and probably can relate to the file time modification). last modified is taken from the file itself i believe, so yes a mp3tag edit would likely affect that the next time the local db item is refreshed.

again, i don't know why it was all done like this but i don't want to mess with it. getting 'dateadded' in was enough of a hassle (and i've still not finished it as need to ensure it's provided in the db query api and that it's generated correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
so what is file time for then? the file time is the earliest timedate stamp in your pic.
as i said in my post above, it was the last time that i made a change to the tags of the file. why there's that column i don't know. must've been some reason but what and why i've no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
maybe it would be easier if instead of me trying to determine it, you would define terms for how you want each column to work? i'm sure i'd be fine with what you are trying to do, i'm just not following you here, so maybe its just me, but i'm trying to understand.
there's nothing to define as i'm just adding 'dateadded' and whatever went before stays as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
one thing that i find confusing, is the prefs for "played last" column vs the history prefs. are they supposed to act totally independently of each other?
independent, as covered earlier in my reply. again i don't know why but that's how it is and will be staying that way - making such large changes just isn't worth the hassle or grief.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 20:45   #21
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
--
EDIT: in fact, just reading metdata via right click is enough to update the "last updated" column.
--
"Last Updated" is updated if you close the tagging dialog with the OK button, it is not updated if you use the Cancel button.

This was discussed in another thread. Using the OK button causes the file record in the database to be rewritten even if no tags are changed.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 20:54   #22
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
that would be expected (now i'm better aware of the code) since 'Ok' triggers a library update notification which does not discriminate an update with no changes. really it would be more that the alt+3 dialog just needs to keep a track of the entered values and if found then don't update. but, it's generally safer for 'Ok' to go through the motions as it would then re-apply changes if needed. as such i don't expect to see that behaviour changed.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 21:09   #23
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Just saw what I think is a bug in the File Info dialog reading of the ID3v1 genre tag. I'll start a new thread in the Bugs forum.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 22:29   #24
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
that would be expected (now i'm better aware of the code) since 'Ok' triggers a library update notification which does not discriminate an update with no changes. really it would be more that the alt+3 dialog just needs to keep a track of the entered values and if found then don't update. but, it's generally safer for 'Ok' to go through the motions as it would then re-apply changes if needed. as such i don't expect to see that behaviour changed.

-daz
The alt+3 dialog's 'OK' also triggers a rewrite of the actual file unless the file is set to 'read only'. If no changes were made there is no popup warning that the file is read only and only the database record's last updated data is updated.

If a change was made, then there is a warning that the file is set to read only. Of course the change can not be made in the file and it is not made in the database record either, but the last updated data for the record is updated in the database.

I don't expect to see that behaviour changed either, but it good that an alt+3 tag change that could not be made to the file is also not changed in the database record for the file, imo.

For those who want to change the database and not the file, the tag editor in the media library allows this (along with adding metadata for files whose format does not support tagging).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 22:54   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
guys, follow me here, and if i'm wrong tell me why:

in the ML, pick any track and look at the current "last updated" timedate stamp.

right rick that file, then click "read metadata on selected items"

the timedate stamp then updates to the present.

can you not reproduce that? i see it EVERY time.

i'll respond to the rest once we get to the bottom of this.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 23:06   #26
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
that's how it's meant to work for the 'last updated' field (and is what i've said it does a number of times now). anything that is deemed as a db item update will change the time to when it happened.

that is the whole point of 'date added' so that it's not screwing up the 'Recently Added' view.

feels like i'm writing in a different language at times...


people can debate away about what should / shouldn't be done with the existing columns but in all blunt honesty, i'm not that interested - adding 'date added' is all i'm doing and that's it (and making sure it's doing everything for that column correctly has taken a hell of a lot longer than i'd expected - so not 'fucking simple' as some users in this thread just blindly assumed).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 23:07   #27
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
can you not reproduce that? i see it EVERY time.
Yes, I see that and it's expected from what DrO had explained before about how this was designed years ago.

I thought you were referring to the right click to the tag editor to view tags, not the one to force the re-reading of tags. my bad.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 00:46   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
ok, first i am sure i speak for many, many people when i say that having a "date added" value in the DB that will make the "recently added" view in the nav tree work properly is greatly appreciated DrO, and it will make many people, including me happy, no doubt. i also have np with you not wanting to do anything beyond that.

however, there is a worthy intellectual pursuit here, to try to figure out everything that is happening vs everything that should be happening. the first is factual, the second subjective, but also constrained by reasonable expectation.

so, i am going to try to make sense of it:

date added = will be the moment a file was added to the DB, and will remain static until such time that the file is either deleted, moved or renamed. no controversy there, and again, if this is all DrO does, meaning to add this feature to fix the "recently added" view, people will cheer.

but after that is when things get messy.

the columns winamp has are:

Played Last
Last Updated
File Time

"Played Last" seems to work properly, as per its prefs. (please correct me if i'm wrong)

but "Last Updated" seems to update just by the file being accessed, as i showed above via right click, read metadata. i'm not sure if this value only updates if the access was done in winamp, or also outside of winamp. i haven't tested that yet. this value may or may not then represent the "last accessed" file property.

"File Time" seems to update only when a change is written to the file, and likely will update even if the change is done outside winamp. it may very well be represented by the file "last modified" property, but i haven't tested that.

this is all important, b/c those columns probably at the least need renamed. but more importantly, users are looking for two things mainly:

1. the "recently added" view to be fixed. DrO will fix that with what he is doing afaict.

but also they want

2. a "recently modified" view. thats basically what "recently added" is now, just misnamed. the point of the view is to show a user what files aren't new to winamp, but rather had some kind of recent modification. this can be very useful, esp if you are trying to track things you want to undo, or just recall what files you worked on last.

imo, such a view should be based solely on a files "last modified" property. it should not matter if the change was made inside or outside of winamp.

so basically what i am saying is winamp should have these three columns:

Date Added (static date when file was added to winamp)
Last Played (date file was last played as per tracking criteria in the prefs)
Last Modified (date the file property has as its "modified" date)

and those three columns/values should then translate into these three views respectively:

Recently Added
Recently Played
Recently Modified

that means that the current "Last Updated" should just be depricated, its fairly useless as is anyway; and that "File Time" should be renamed to "Last Modified" and should represent solely the date in the file's properties for when it was last modified, by any app.

now i'll try to respond to some of the above where i think people were confusing what i was saying...

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 01:13   #29
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
Quote:
date added = will be the moment a file was added to the DB, and will remain static until such time that the file is either deleted, moved or renamed. no controversy there, and again, if this is all DrO does, meaning to add this feature to fix the "recently added" view, people will cheer.
that is all it should ever be as far as the Winamp library is concerned.

Quote:
"Played Last" seems to work properly, as per its prefs. (please correct me if i'm wrong)
correct.

Quote:
but "Last Updated" seems to update just by the file being accessed, as i showed above via right click, read metadata. i'm not sure if this value only updates if the access was done in winamp, or also outside of winamp. i haven't tested that yet. this value may or may not then represent the "last accessed" file property.
you're getting it wrong even though it has been clarified. that value is for _any_ change made to the db for that item (even if there's no discernable difference). it is a library specific value and just happens when the entry is accessed.

Quote:
"File Time" seems to update only when a change is written to the file, and likely will update even if the change is done outside winamp. it may very well be represent by the file "last modified" property, but i haven't tested that.
Quote:
this is all important, b/c those columns probably at the least need renamed.
not going to happen as there is no reason to do so.

Quote:
1. the "recently added" view to be fixed. DrO will fix that with what he is doing afaict.
which is why the existing view will be changed to use the new value on install.

Quote:
2. a "recently modified" view. thats basically what "recently added" is now, just misnamed. the point of the view is to show a user what files aren't new to winamp, but rather had some kind of recent modification. this can be very useful, esp if you are trying to track things you want to undo, or just recall what files you worked on last.
which is why there is going to be a 'Recently Modified' preset which relates to the old 'Recently Added' query.

Quote:
that means that the current "Last Updated" should just be depricated, its fairly useless as is anyway; and that "File Time" should be renamed to "Last Modified" and should represent solely the date in the file's properties for when it was last modified, by any app.
you're forgetting that the library can store values for non-taggable files. that is the most likely reason for what you think is a pointless column. either way, it's staying and it's not like it has to be used.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 02:02   #30
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
you're getting it wrong even though it has been clarified. that value is for _any_ change made to the db for that item (even if there's no discernable difference). it is a library specific value and just happens when the entry is accessed.
well, maybe i'm getting it wrong, but thats besides the point, i am trying to understand.

imo, it is at best misnamed, and at worst, misleading. does it have any relation to the file property "last accessed" or is it just strictly for when a user accesses it from within winamp?

why not call it "Last Accessed"? or, if it doesn't relate to the file property and you don't want to confuse/conflate the two, call it "Last Read"?

and yes, i don't understand why simply reading/accessing the file is considered a "change" made to the db? whats the change? "Last Updated" to me implies a discernable change was made, not just a read or an access.

again, i'm not trying to be argumentative at all, i just don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
not going to happen as there is no reason to do so.
well, imo there clearly is a reason to do so. "File Time" does not in any way imply what it is. its incredibly vague. "Last Updated" would be a good name for this column, as that would imply what it actually is.

is it the case that this value is represented by the file property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
which is why there is going to be a 'Recently Modified' preset which relates to the old 'Recently Added' query.
thats excellent news. if that had been said already, and i missed it, my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
you're forgetting that the library can store values for non-taggable files. that is the most likely reason for what you think is a pointless column. either way, it's staying and it's not like it has to be used.

-daz
no, i don't think that i forgot that or thats why i said what i said. none of these column types should be dependent on tag-able status. date added doesn't, last modified shouldn't, and last played doesn't.

what i am saying is that i don't see the useful function that column [Last Updated] provides. in other words, please tell me how a user would get a useful utility out of this column or value in the db, given the way it behaves? whats the real world use that i can relate to? (it doesn't have to be something i would do, but just an example of how someone could or want to use it?) i can't come up with one but that doesn't mean there isn't one. i would like to know of this use though.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 02:09   #31
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
and as i've said i don't know why it was done like that - ask Justin or Brennon or Christophe or Francis or whoever it was that thought it needed to be in the 2.9x library - as that's why it's there now and i'm not going to mess with that.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 20:12   #32
DateAdded
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Its 2013 you stupid shits get this done, who cares if I curse, shit hasn't been done for 7 fucking years!
someone literally needs to die, data management is simple as fuck
DateAdded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 21:12   #33
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
and in 2013 people still don't bother to read before posting....

as the posts above say it has been implemented internally for the next release. but you know, maybe i'll just undo all of it because you've been so polite...
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 18:24   #34
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
please ban him.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 10:56   #35
Meaney
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 19
Can we expect this soon? Just wondering if the "Date Added" addition has been slated for a particular build. I see that the last comments were fairly recent—just 3 months ago—but I'm not sure if 5.63 was released since then (the version history page doesn't include dates). It doesn't appear to be in 5.63. This "Date Added" value is something I have long had to imperfectly fudge with "Last Updated" or "File Time". Many thanks to DrO for working on it and to MrSinatra for driving the conversation and analysis.

I want to add that it's an amazing and deeply appreciated accomplishment that WinAMP has had such dedicated support and continued development since the 1990s. Few people likely realise how WinAMP could easily have been retired when Nullsoft was shuttered by AOL a decade ago. Hats off.
Meaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 11:06   #36
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
it's present in the 5.7 betas - see the discussion sub-forum. btw, it's Winamp, not WinAMP - there hasn't been a product with that specific naming for a long long time.

[edit September 2014]
this functionality is in the 5.64 and newer releases.

5.7 beta was a 5.64+ client plus Winamp Cloud support.

using a 5.7 beta is not recommended as it is always older than the current Winamp release and installing it is a downgrade compared to 5.66x and newer client releases.
[/edit]
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 11:15   #37
Meaney
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
btw, it's Winamp, not WinAMP - there hasn't been a product with that specific naming for a long long time.
Ha ha! I guess I've been around long enough to remember. Thanks, DrO.
Meaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 00:34   #38
djpete
Major Dude
 
djpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaney View Post
I want to add that it's an amazing and deeply appreciated accomplishment that WinAMP has had such dedicated support and continued development since the 1990s. Few people likely realise how WinAMP could easily have been retired when Nullsoft was shuttered by AOL a decade ago. Hats off.
100% agree. Well said.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 08:57   #39
Meaney
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 19
Well, it finally happened. Adieu, Winamp. Thanks DrO, DJ Egg, and everyone else.
Meaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump