Old 18th May 2002, 19:06   #1
StillWater
Forum King

delete skins from within winamp!!

This happens all the time, and it's really annoying:

-I see a skin that might be ok, so I download it
-It pops up on my winamp, and after using it a bit, I decide I don;t like it.
-I have to go to bloody c:\program files\winamp\skins, choose sort by "date modified" to see the skin, since it's the most recent one, delete it, and go back to winamp.

Why can't you just press the delete key while in the winamp skin selection window which pops up a dialog saying "do wish to remove this skin, "bla-bla.wsz" from your hard drive, YES/NO" ?

You can delete songs from the playlist. That feature was put in there obviously because someone realised it was a very good idea, since when someone is listening to a song, she might realise that she hates it, and want to delete it. The same is true of skins.

I'm certain that a heap of people would find this more convenient.

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2002, 19:58   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

It would be a feature i'd use all the time...

I'm always having to remove the skins i've just reviewed, so something to do it within the winamp skin browser would be great.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2002, 03:36   #3
Janssen

Send a message via ICQ to Janssen
And maybe not only for skins, but also for plugins.. same reasons..
Janssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2002, 14:02   #4
StillWater
Forum King

Would anyone else like to see these changes made in Winamp. For me, this is by far the most annoying and unneccessary shortcoming of Winamp.

I know that there not many people come to the Wishlist forum, but if you agree, make a post, and maybe Nullsoft will eventually add this feature.

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Old 1st June 2002, 18:31   #5
sgrog

Yup, absolutely! If you're going to save skins through the program, you should also be able to remove them.

There is already something in plugins to remove plugins.
sgrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2002, 07:26   #6
X-Fixer
Major Dude

If you really need this feature you can try beta version of my plug-in. You can take it here. Comments and suggestions are welcome
X-Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2002, 15:08   #7
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Fixer
If you really need this feature you can try beta version of my plug-in. You can take it here. Comments and suggestions are welcome
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!! The wait is over

Although, I have a couple of issues with it:

The "select x skin after deletion doesn't work properly. For example: I have 26 skins called A, B, C, D, E, etc. In the configuration menu, I tell it to select G after deletion. So I delete M - it goes back to G. But then I delete B - it goes to F. I delete C, and it goes to E. Every time you delete a skin that is higher up on the (alphabetical) list than your chosen skin, it shifts the "chosen skin" up one place on the skin list.

-How do you delete from within the skin browser? there is no button, and neither DEL nor shift-DEL work.

-It would be great to be able to choose your hotkey. eg. I would personally like to use a one-touch hotkey like F12 or something, rather than Shift-DEL.

-I suppose this may be a complicated change to make, but it would be good if the deleted skins went into the recycle bin, instead of being deleted permanently - just to prevent accidents.

-This has only happened to one skin so far - it won't let me delete one particular skin, even though there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary with that skin.

I'm definitely going to use this plugin, although I do hope you update it and fix it up.

Last edited by StillWater; 8th June 2002 at 15:43.
Old 8th June 2002, 17:07   #8
StillWater
Forum King

Just thought of another thing which I, at least, would find really handy in your plugin. I'm sure it would be very easy to add. I realised how handy it was going back to my chosen "default" skin after I deleted another skin - and I thought, how handy would it be if there was another hotkey that loaded this skin - but without deleting the current skin.

Old 8th June 2002, 18:08   #9
X-Fixer
Major Dude

>The "select x skin after deletion doesn't work properly.

This never happens to me. Winamp version, windows version, other plug-ins installed, what items do you have in Skins menu?

>How do you delete from within the skin browser?

With delete key. But you should select skin in the list (usually the tree on the left side is selected).

>It would be great to be able to choose your hotkey.

I don't feel like adding custom hotkeys. I think Shift+Del is "safe" one.

>-I suppose this may be a complicated change to make, but it would
>be good if the deleted skins went into the recycle bin, instead of
>being deleted permanently - just to prevent accidents.

OK.

>This has only happened to one skin so far - it won't let me delete
>one particular skin.

May be this skin had read-only files?

>I'm definitely going to use this plugin, although I do hope you
>update it and fix it up.

That's what betas are for
Old 8th June 2002, 19:31   #10
StillWater
Forum King

The "select x skin after deletion doesn't work properly.

This never happens to me. Winamp version, windows version, other plug-ins installed, what items do you have in Skins menu?

Winamp 2.80
Windows 2000 Pro

Active plugins:
-the Cross-fading thing that comes with winamp now
-MikroAmp

nothing in skin directory except for ZIPs WSZs and Folders (skin folders). It looks like this function might not look for the skin by name, but by location (in this case by location on a list). Dunno

With delete key. But you should select skin in the list (usually the tree on the left side is selected).

As I said, it doesn't work.

This has only happened to one skin so far - it won't let me delete
>one particular skin.

May be this skin had read-only files?

Yep. Silly me.

Old 9th June 2002, 04:45   #11
X-Fixer
Major Dude

>The "select x skin after deletion doesn't work properly.

I have asked what items are in skins menu... And in options/skins?
How *exactly* to reproduce it? And does skins menu in Winamp works properly when this happens?

Selecting the skin in the list means that you can see thin frame over it's name and up/down keys select prev/next skin. If it doesn't work try to open preferences again.

What key would you like for the "set default skin" feature? I think about backspace.

Last edited by X-Fixer; 9th June 2002 at 05:42.
Old 9th June 2002, 07:38   #12
X-Fixer
Major Dude

skin selection - seems to be Winamp bug, made a blind fix.
made deleting to recycle bin.
made selecting default skin on backspace.

try it out
Old 9th June 2002, 14:53   #13
StillWater
Forum King

Beautiful!

The revert back to x skin problem seems to have been solved - it works perfectly.

Files going to the recycle bin make me feel a lot more at ease - especially since I'm working on a skin at the moment, almost finished, and if I accidentally deleted it...

Backspace seems to me to be the perfect choice. This will be great for skinners (like me) - who constantly want to revert to the particular skin that they are working on.

regarding the not deleting in the skin browser - come on, man, you don't have to explain how to select a skin . It just plain didn't work. Yet I've had no problems with it since I restarted my computer. So I don't know if that was a problem with the plugin, or with my computer at the time. I've recently formatted my HDD, and everything's working very smoothly still, so I'm tempted to think that it is some minor clash of the plugin with something else, or something like that. Anyway, it's working now, hopefully it was just a freak occurence.

But Kudos on the plugin, it is now without a doubt my favourite plugin (and I've used quite a few different plugins actually - even though I've only got this and Mikroamp at the moment).

If you care about public ratings, then when you publish it on winamp.com, let us know on this thread, and I'll be sure to go there and give it a 5 star rating, because it certainly deserves it.

PS - I've still got one (minor) grievance with the plugin, however. Like a lot of people, I've got a lot of skins (173) and when I'm selecting my "default" skin, it takes quite a long time to scroll down the list to get to the skins on the bottom. I know that some people have around as thousand skins, and for them it must be extremely annoying. A different way of selecting them, like a window with a scroll bar or something, would be good.

Old 9th June 2002, 15:16   #14
X-Fixer
Major Dude

The "revert back to x skin problem" was a Winamp bug, I have posted it in bug reports forum, you can take a look.

>come on, man, you don't have to explain how to select a skin

It's not just selecting a skin - listbox in preferences should have input focus, otherwise it can't catch the delete key. Are you sure that it has input focus? It's very strange that this doesn't work (if you use beta3), though it is the most sophisticated part of the plug-in (possibly, I'm the first man to implement 3-level subclassing ). I don't have win2k here, so I can't test it

>PS - I've still got one (minor) grievance with the plugin, however.

You can just type the skin name in the edit field. Or type first letter of skin name in menu.

btw, who is Kudos?
Old 9th June 2002, 15:27   #15
StillWater
Forum King

It's not just selecting a skin - listbox in preferences should have input focus, otherwise it can't catch the delete key. Are you sure that it has input focus? It's very strange that this doesn't work (if you use beta3), though it is the most sophisticated part of the plug-in (possibly, I'm the first man to implement 3-level subclassing ). I don't have win2k here, so I can't test it

listbox? input focus? 3-level subclassing??? I've got no idea what you're talking about! But as I said last time, it worked after I restarted my computer - without me changing anything in Winamp or Windows - both the old version and beta3 work fine now.

You can just type the skin name in the edit field. Or type first letter of skin name in menu.
Well whadda ya know? cool.

btw, who is Kudos?

lol Kudos means something like "glory". If you say "kudos to you", it means "good on you", "praise to you". So I meant kudos to you for making such a good plugin.

Old 9th June 2002, 17:50   #16
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Listbox is a Windows control that is used to make lists (there are lots of them in preferences: for extensions, for each type of plug-ins etc.). Control that have input focus recieves keystrokes when you press keys. Usually it is displayed with thin frame shomewhere on it (you can see it on buttons, checkboxes etc.)

>Well whadda ya know? cool.

huh?

>So I meant kudos to you for making such a good plugin.

oh, thanx
Old 9th June 2002, 18:14   #17
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Fixer

>Well whadda ya know? cool.

huh?

Well Whadda ya know? (Well, What do you know?) is like "Well, How about that?" "I never knew that" I just meant that I had no idea you could press the first letter of the skin. Apart from a help section, I don't see anything else that your plugin would need before it became a real version. By the way, if you make any significant changes to the full version, could you please post here so that I (and everyone else who got the beta version from here) can download it?

Old 10th June 2002, 05:00   #18
X-Fixer
Major Dude

I need to do some clean-ups. Of cousre, I'll say when beta4 (or whatever) will be ready.
Old 11th June 2002, 23:23   #19
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Sending to the recycle bin i think will be necessary in the next version.

I just deleted a few skins starting with a and every skin starting with a dissapeared.
Old 12th June 2002, 05:19   #20
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo The Freak
Sending to the recycle bin i think will be necessary in the next version.

I just deleted a few skins starting with a and every skin starting with a dissapeared.
Huh? Have you enabled "delete to recycle bin" in options?
Old 12th June 2002, 05:27   #21
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Yeh, i have now...

Perhaps you should set it to that as the default or put a readme in the zip file letting people know how to install it/configure etc. Just a suggestion, as it was too late by the time i found that option, would probably catch a few other people out too.

Its damn cool other than that. The default skin option rocks and it definately deletes the skins
Old 12th June 2002, 05:38   #22
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo The Freak
Perhaps you should set it to that as the default or put a readme in the zip file letting people know how to install it/configure etc.
Both things in next version. It's just a beta now...
Old 13th June 2002, 16:23   #23
StillWater
Forum King

I was just speaking with Atmo, and that bug sounds severe. He deleted about 70 skins, and when he finished, he realised that about 1400 (!!) skins had been deleted. It even deleted a .psp file that he had in his skins directory - that isn't even a skin file!

Old 14th June 2002, 03:20   #24
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Can you give some details on files that were deleted?
Old 14th June 2002, 11:32   #25
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Beta4 is out.

- Mostly rewritten
- Should be more stable, more compatible with other plug-ins
- Should not delete too many files
- Changed selection of default skin
- Hotkeys work in all Winamp windows

Made it shareware.
Just kidding

Stupid question: what is the average name length of your skins?
Old 14th June 2002, 15:29   #26
klumy

a really good suggestion. It would be also cool, if you can delete Plugins via Winamp.
klumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2002, 15:55   #27
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I'll give you the info i can...

Im running Windows XP using NTFS file system. I dont know if that has anything to do with it. I have several visualisation plugins installed as well as MikroAMP 2.0.

I was going thru the skin browser, selecting a skin, clicking on the main window, then pressing shift+del (the delete option didnt work in the skin browser for me either). It seemed to take out skins with similar file names too. For example, i had a bunch of skins with a name like woody(1).wsz, woody(2).wsz...It deleted em all when deleting one. As i already said, it removed every skin with 'a' at the beginning after deleting three or four.

The other removals seemed random. But it seemed to delete skins with similar names to the one selected.

It also removes skins that are in directories, not just .wsz files in the skins folder. I had my latest skin in a directory and in .wsz format in the skins folder. The directory included several .psp files (which i had backed up luckily), it removed both the directory and the .wsz file. They were both named differently BTW, but both started with 'a'.

Its just a suggestion, but perhaps it shouldnt be able to remove non .wsz files. If someone set their skins directory as C:\windows or something it could have a pretty dire consequenses.

When i realised it had removed all those files i thought 'no probs, just get em out of the recycle bin' but they were gone. So i downloaded an undelete program that works with ntfs partitions, but by the time i had done that it was too late, the files had been partially overwritten and i was unable to retrieve them.

Thats when i checked the plugin preferences and saw the send to recycle bin option. Im glad you've set it as default, people are too used to being able to get deleted files from the recycle bin nowdays for it not to be default.

Hopefully the bug fixes you've mentioned will fix up the problems i had with it. It will be an invaluable tool for me, as i have been wanting a function for quickly removing skins i've downloaded for review purposes but dont want to keep.

As for the average name length, well it ranges from 2 or 3 charachters to 50....
Old 14th June 2002, 16:54   #28
X-Fixer
Major Dude

>Its just a suggestion, but perhaps it shouldnt be able to remove
>non .wsz files.

Now it deletes only .wsz, .zip files and folders (note that all files in folder will be deleted).

>the delete option didnt work in the skin browser for me either

Try it again, it should work now.

>Hopefully the bug fixes you've mentioned will fix up the problems
>i had with it.

Please, try beta4. It should not delete wrong files, and should work generally better.
Old 19th June 2002, 17:38   #29
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Have just release the final version (will be published on Winamp in about 3 weeks). Very small changes (most noticable: installer and help file).
Old 20th June 2002, 06:39   #30
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Damn, had to make small fix...
Old 23rd July 2002, 09:04   #31
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Well, the plug-in is plublished, so everybody who want to write a review can do it here.
Old 23rd July 2002, 09:16   #32
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Downloaded and commented.
Old 26th July 2002, 06:27   #33
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Thank you for reviews, guyes!

Does anyone has more ideas for the plug-in (like groups in Skins menu)?
Old 26th July 2002, 06:47   #34
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Groups would be excellent. For example, a favorites system like internet explorer uses.

Also, a 'move to folder' option along with send to recycle bin and delete would be nice.
Old 26th July 2002, 06:56   #35
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Do you mean "move skin to folder ..."? What for do you need this?
Old 26th July 2002, 07:10   #36
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Im guessing the average user wouldnt use it much, but there are times i have to download a skin that i wouldnt have otherwise downloaded, while reviewing, or to check if its a rip/duplicate etc. Normally once i've checked it out theyre deleted, so they dont clutter up my skins folder, but there are times when i have to re-download those skins because someones wanting to know exactly why their skin was rejected/removed...

If i could have a folder where those skins could sit for a while, seperate from my other skins, so i could check them again if need be it would be really useful.

Like i said, the average user most likely wouldnt use a feature like that, but it would be handy for the reviewers.
Old 26th July 2002, 07:30   #37
X-Fixer
Major Dude

May be this can ne solved by creating "temp" skins group?
Old 26th July 2002, 07:34   #38
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Yes, that would work fine.
Old 26th July 2002, 15:15   #39
StillWater
Forum King

Well, the main feature that I've found lacking is multiple hotkeys for skins. The backspace function is excellent, but it would be nice to assign hotkeys to 2 or 3 more skins (or 4 more: F9, F10, F11, F12, for example). I have two reasons for this:

- I'm working on 3 skins at the moment. Sometimes I want to frequently return to one of them, sometimes to another one of them, sometimes to the third - and sometimes I'd like to be able to instantly go back to one of my favourite (complete) skins by another author rather than one that I'm working on.

-Every now and then, when my skin collection starts getting too big again, I go through it and delete the ones I don't want. But everytime I delete it goes back to my hotkey skin. So I have to change options to make it "after delete go to next skin". then I go through my skins alphabetically and delete the ones I don't want. When I'm finished, I have to go to options again and set it back to "after delete go to _____.WSZ". If there were multiple hotkey skins, I could permanently have "after delete go to next skin" setting on - and use the other hotkeys to go to my favourite skins.

Groups would be great.

Old 5th August 2002, 19:03   #40
StillWater
Forum King

I just came up with an idea for a feature which I would love - hopefully other people would too - but this might be a bit complicated to implement.

The feature basically allready exists in the visualisation plugin, Milkdrop. When you are watching a preset (one of many in your preset folder), you press + and - to change the rank from 0-5. Presets can be put on "random", so that after a particular time, a random preset starts playing. Now, each preset has a rating of 0-5. That rating determines how likely the preset is of being played. So if you love a preset, you give it 5, and it will come up much more often than a preset with 1.

This would be really cool with skins. Many of us have a lot of skins in our skin folder, but almost all of us probably have a select few that are our real favourites - and it would be nice if the randomiser could pick those more often than the rest

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist