Old 1st July 2004, 04:20   #1
protegechris
Forum Queen

My wonderful internet.

384/128

or so they say.

Upload registers at 90 on a good day, and download at around 250 on a excellent day.

When it rains, my internet stops working. Right now, im downloading three files, one at 20 KB/s and the other two equal 10 KB/s , and for some reason my UPLOADING stream for my station says it cannot send data fast enough.

If i download above 25kb/s it does this to me.

POS ADSL.

August baby. Upgrading to 3000/300 cable.

Ten bucks a month cheaper. This ADSL is 70 bmucks a month if you include taxes.

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2004, 05:40   #2
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

♫ If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands ♪ . . . . .
aFfLiCtEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2004, 17:19   #3
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Dont forget that it also depends on the servers that you are downloading from, or uploading too.

It does sound like the telephone exchange that your ADSL runs through is a bit fucked though, if it stops when it rains.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2004, 02:50   #4
protegechris
Forum Queen

Yeah. The guy had to rewire the houses phone lines because they were like 50 years old, and he did a halfassed job at it as well.

I'm seriously looking forward to August.

You know, I got offered an amazing deal (next to NOTHING) on 20 128kbps slots for my radio station, and then I remembered, I don't have enough bandwidth to upload a 128k stream. That sucks ass.

And what's even worse, look at their plans.
http://www.valornet.com/services/services.html#DSL

That's crap.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 3rd July 2004, 05:07   #5
sgtfuzzbubble011

Be glad you don't have satellite internet service...
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2004, 22:29   #6
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
Be glad you don't have satellite internet service...
I've been considering this since DSL & cable are inaccessable in my area. (rural).... What are the drawbacks to satellite? ... other than bad weather, instability, and the inability to join port to port gaming? (that I've gathered so far anyway)
Old 4th July 2004, 04:30   #7
sgtfuzzbubble011

The way you put it makes the disadvantages sound so much less disadvantageous than they actually are.

First, the weather issue. If it's raining outside, you can go ahead and turn off your computer, because you won't be needing it. Also, if it's raining over your ISP, the same thing will happen. I've also been disconnected for nothing more than some thick cloud cover.

Now, the instability. I've found myself getting disconnected several times in a matter of minutes on many many occasions for reasons I don't know. I've also been shut off from the internet for days at a time due to "system maintenance" or "service upgrades" at the operations center on numerous occasions.

On to the inability to play online games... Quake 3? Halo? Yeah right. I've had ping times well over ten seconds before. And if you're downloading a large file or two, that can easily rise to over 15 seconds. On a good day, my ping time might drop to around two seconds if I'm lucky. That's still bad for gaming. That, and the bandwidth usually sucks butt. On a good day, I can download at an average of 40-50kbps. I've peaked at over 300kbps before, but that's extremely rare and doesn't las for more than a couple seconds. On a bad day, it can be as slow as dialup.

Oh, and one more thing. GOD FORBID you should bump the dish hanging off the side of your house while you're outside cutting the grass. Trying to realign it is the bitch of all bitches.

Let's not forget about the transceiver... the one I've got is USB only. There is no ethernet port on it, so we had to get a server computer and set up a network before we could use our internet connection. GHEY. If it would have come with an ethernet port, all we would have had to do was get a switch and connect both of our computers to that, but NOOOOOOoooo...

Anything else you want to know?
Old 4th July 2004, 06:26   #8
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

Dam ... Makes me like my 56k better and better the more I hear about it.
You've pretty much clarified & confirmed it. Thanks!
Old 4th July 2004, 08:04   #9
protegechris
Forum Queen

Nope. 56K still bites ass.

It was sprinkling out side last night, and I was pinging at around 400, not good for a gamer. No programs ruinning on any comps on the network that use the internet.

IFunny, if I dont run any probgrams and the weather is nice, it pings around 10-100, but if I were to open just ONE instant messenger program, my ping hits over 1000

yeah, i'm back.
Old 4th July 2004, 11:05   #10
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Nope, didnt understand a word of it.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2004, 14:05   #11
protegechris
Forum Queen

Haha. Yes, I'm bringing this up again.

When I tracerouted 2 weeks ago, it went through 12, alter.net and cogentco.com servers.

2 days later, 17 alter.net and wcg.net servers.

Today, It gives me the 12 servers with the cogent co. What the hell is up with that?

Oh, and don't forget how well Valor keeps my listeners!! ( see attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ihatevalor.jpg (20.0 KB, 128 views)

yeah, i'm back.
Old 26th July 2004, 16:02   #12
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris
IFunny, if I dont run any probgrams and the weather is nice, it pings around 10-100, but if I were to open just ONE instant messenger program, my ping hits over 1000
Time to google "traffic shaping", methinks. Although unless you have a good router, or a Linux/similar box as a router, unlikely to be practical...

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2004, 16:41   #13
protegechris
Forum Queen

What exactly am I looking for? I see a lot related to linux

I'm running with a siemens speedstream XD

yeah, i'm back.
Old 26th July 2004, 17:37   #14
zootm
Forum King

Doubt it'll work. Basically traffic shaping gives priorities to some traffic over other stuff, so you can still have a half-decent ping while downloading...

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2004, 18:24   #15
Pixelcraft
Wildly Confused
(Major Dude)

I frequently get a connection speed of 2.4 kbps, which does absolutley nothing. Then I usually get 4.8, then 2.4 again, then 12.0, then 7.2, then 9.6, then I finally get 45.2 but it disconnects immediately by itself, then I get 2.4 again, then I just don't care.

Guess what? My connection just died. Disconnected by itself once again. Now I'm connected and 4.8 kbps. Yee-fucking-ha.

Oh what do you know? It can't load the next page. And now it disconnected again.

There, finally connected at 14.4 kbps. I hope this one makes it.

56K SUCKS I would much rather have your internet, protegechris. If I could download something at 10 kbps, it would be a miracle. The most I get is 4.

"It's like saying give a man a Les Paul guitar and he becomes Eric Clapton, and of course that's not true, give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer and he doesn't become...whoever; he doesn't become us." - Roger Waters
Pixelcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2004, 01:08   #16
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I hate my 56k. You know whats really funny? For a day and a half, i starte downloading the redhat iso images. Then I gave up and got a friend to do it for me. I had my cds a few days later. Lets see here. around 650 MB for each iso x 3 = 1950MB = 1996800. At 56k i'd say i have around 4 kilobytes per second average so thats 499200 seconds. that equals to 8320 minutes = 138.6 hours = 5.7 days. If i even lose my connection ONCE during that, which of course I will, I get to start all over. I hate dialup. I hate dialup.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2004, 01:31   #17
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

And for years I was on free 28.8 kbps that would konk out every hour or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speed.jpg (84.8 KB, 113 views)

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2004, 02:22   #18
sgtfuzzbubble011

My old dialup connection would never connect any faster than 28.8kbps. On average, it would connect at 26.4kbps. I'd get 2-3kbps download speeds, and they'd automatically disconnect me every four hours on the second. Rat bastards.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist