Old 11th November 2011, 00:26   #1
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Skyrim

yeah it's not out yet, except in australia where they'll censor it to death with raspberry jam.

but, it will be later today i think or tomorrow.

so, let's start discussing shall we?

from what i've gathered, perks from fallout 3/NV return, enemies do scale to character level but not as severely as in oblivion and the most surprising (to me at least) is they used the skill/ability progression bit from the original old ass windows only dungeon siege 1 (basically, actions skill you up, swing a sword you get better at swinging a sword instead of "here's 5 skill points to put into sword swinging"), i've been hearing (quite a lot) that you can't easily manipulate inventory items on the PC version though... not sure why you'd need to, i'm gonna guess it's a quest thing.

i'm a bit less on the fence about this one than i expected honestly, hearing comparisons from fallout 3/NV to this is definitely helping me care more about it though and i believe it's using directx rendering instead of fucking openGL so that's a plus for 3D vision being compatible at least, although perks returning.... that seems a bit..... LAZY fuckerish, i'm not saying i'm disappointed to see perks in skyrim, honestly they were one of the best part of the last two fallout titles but.... for fucks sake use something designed for skyrim, don't recycle fallout 3 THAT much.

i gotta admit too i'm not really much of a fan of these stone age settings for games, i'd much rather see fallout 4 instead in terms of the place/era for the game and the whole nordic thing is a bit of a warning flag too and.... just to be clear... there are places where snow isn't the constant fist of the elements pounding down upon you from high above, right?

i mean, it's not as if the setting for the game is a make or break type of thing just.... i could never fantasize about being slightly more technologically advanced than a caveman, it just doesn't click with me like futuristic and post-apoc does, not to mention fantasy settings are overdone as hell in the games industry.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 03:40   #2
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

well... i've been playing this a little by now and it's pretty fucking obvious.

it's a total conversion mod of fallout 3/NV.
ffs bethesda.

oh and for anyone wondering, it's fucking awesome in 3D but for some reason setting the crosshair to disabled doesn't actually disable the crosshair, i guess i'll have to to hunt that down in the .ini files.

Old 11th November 2011, 20:54   #3
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

been playing quite a bit more and i am really enjoying skyrim but.... two things are really starting to get on my nerves to a point as well.

and oddly enough, it's not that it's a shitty port from derpsoles, that at least i expect from bethesda by now.

first and foremost:
there's a reason i'm pointing this out i should add, carry weight, yup it's back and dear god am i hating it and i've yet to find any single way to increase it at all.
I WANT MY FUCKING ATTRIBUTE POINTS BACK
yeah, it's quite a bit sad, there isn't even a real character sheet/page in the game at all, you can't ever view your numerical stats or attributes and from what i've seen, there's never a chance to increase/gain/buff them directly either.

so yeah, skyrim is a bit on the RPG Lite side, dear lord, what did we do to deserve this?

i still remember the amount of rage and hatred that abound when mass effect decided you didn't deserve to have armor anymore, guys? where the fuck are you? you can't even view your character sheet, why aren't we enraged here?

secondly, VATS is back.... ish anyway, a lot of the time you'll get a particularly good strike or somehow wind up doing a finisher type move when you attack, which.... i admit, seems a bit tacked on and out of place in skyrim in the first place but... i'm ignoring that, i feel forgiving today, i don't know why.

so, right, why is part of VATs returning one thing i hate about skyrim?
simple, because it's the fucking useful part, sure i admit damn near anyone could be a crit monster in fallout 3 and new vegas pretty regularly too if you used VATs targeting a lot, that's not what i'm upset about missing though, so what is it?
i could tell who i was trying to snipe with VATs, hit the VATs button when you see people/animals on the compass come in to view and there you go easy, simple, stupid, brainless way to see the name of the NPC you were about to shoot regardless of how far they were.

i've accidentally killed my own companion with my bow at least once or twice because of this, say she charges in for melee while i'm lining up my shot with the bow, she runs in front of the bow at the right time and takes and arrow to the wherever, or (this one is by far the more frustrating scenario FYI) she'll be a little behind me or ahead and catching up, ya know kinda off in the distance still (NPCs can't run as fast as players by just a tiny bit so it happens fairly often, if they were able to match PC running speed you'd never catch anyone running away is why it's done) or stuck on a fucking rock like the damn AI loves to do so much, just barely far enough away from me that with all this weather trying to snowstorm or monsoon my eyes to death all the time visual identification is just flat out impossible and to compound the issue? yeah, you can see an enemy's lifebar and name at the top of your screen BUT guess what, it ONLY ever shows up there after you've attacked and landed a hit on that character and it will not change by any means until you've landed an attack on some other character.

not only that melee combat while done well for the most part.... it's extremely hard to keep up with and since i can't tell my follower to use either ranged or melee only anytime i'm in melee combat so is she usually with the same enemy, melee fights with a follower often turn into quite a clusterfuck and it's incredibly hard if not nearly impossible to ensure that you don't accidentally hit your follower with a melee swing, it's amazing how easy it is to accidentally hit them in fact.

i could go on about how the perks system sucks a bit too, in fact, fuck it, i will.
perks from the last couple fallout games return in skyrim, really an obvious decision to keep them around to my eye, the problem though?
umm.... well... for starters there isn't a single "just because it's fun" perk in the entire game, fallout games did this miles better than skyrim where you'd be able to pick from perks like... finesse which actually gives a quite awesome stat bonus/modifier down to... bloody mess which technically does give a modifier but it's a small 5% one and if you take bloody mess for the damage increase you need to get your head examined in the first place, this perk has absolutely zero point.... unless you happen to really really love gibs and spilling them all over the place with every single kill.

now, what are the perks in skyrim like?
yeah, i hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but.... around halfish or so only exist to let you cast spells for half mana cost, useful? sure, it'd kinda have to be, but then again on the other hand the whole bragging about "15 perks for every skill/spell set in the game, massive amounts of choice" umm... yeah fucking right, half of the perks i'm eligible for (meaning i meet a skill requirement) are nothing but duplicates for other spells.... quite often the spells that i have no interest in.

so yeah, let's correct that statement "15 perks for every skill/spell set in the game, but you'll only ever take about 5 from each category most likely unless you like wasting points of buffing spells you don't have and may not even intend to get"

ok i know this is a lot of reading and you're probably reaching for a dictionary and some visine already as you struggle to make out the words but, i'm not done with my criticisms just yet, this next one is a bit of a major one too.

leveling up, oh shit.
first of all, experience points don't even exist in this game in the first place, the closest you'll ever find is skill points, none of which you can ever assign of your own free will, each and every skill in the entire game has to be leveled up with use, not the worst thing on it's own.

but, you can't even level up your character at all without gaining a few skill points first, what's the problem?

simple really, say you decide to fight one of those giants that are famous for one shotting people into skyrim's lower atmosphere with their club swings, maybe you manage to beat one by whichever leads you to beat one, but... you used your weapon that you're the most proficient with which means that you killed it one or two swings or shots and skyrim decides that you didn't work hard enough to be given a skill point for that weapon.

i will say right here that i'm saying this as a rhetorical question for the most part, but believe me i've had fights where i gained absolutely zero skill points fairly often but at least it doesn't seem like you have to connect much to be granted one, two to three solid hits seems to almost always yield a skill point for the weapon type used.

anyway, back to our scenario, you kill the giant, get no skill point and go to loot his corpse a pittance of gold and some useless armor later, you just fought him for nothing, you don't connect enough swings for the game to grant you a skill point? you don't get any experience of any type from that fight, sure you're a little closer to your next skill point, but.... FUCK is it really such a horrible idea to bethesda that killing things should give you some experience to get you closer to your next level?

it's a lenient system though to a point whether or not you get a skill point but.. damn, way to take the fun out of the end of a hard fought battle just because you had to change up tactics a bit during the fight.

and not only that, i've been playing for less than 10 hour and i'm already level 12.... i just can't help but feel like the game is happy to hand out level ups like freaking candy instead of making me earn them, it's eerily fast leveling up to a point and when you do level up, i'm still sitting on two perk points that i have literally no use for because i don't quite meet the skill requirement of the perk that i want, that's how you know an RPG is shit right there, you don't even give it a second thought when you level up anymore because you know there's no point in collecting it yet.

Old 13th November 2011, 03:03   #4
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

and another thing really starting to get on my nerves in a huge way about this game.

the fucking weather, for fucks sake between all the snow that covers nearly all of the entire god damn game and the fact that clear sunny days are quite a rarity a lot of the landscape which could have been beautiful is closer to black and white.

Old 4th January 2012, 07:49   #5
CountToAMillion

Love this game so far, level 3 atm.
CountToAMillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 08:02   #6
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I would also have to admit that there are things about Skyrim that disappoint me but it also has alot more too it. I don't miss the copy paste dungeons, I'm personally a fan of the new skills system.

Killing of my followers... Quite often, I take joy in it and even made a game out of it. My bro and I would drink and bet on how quickly (game days) it would take to kill off my current follower. (Had to be accidental death; not on purpose)

I love how necromancy and magic and progressed since Oblivion. I absolutely love the destroyal of the Mages Guild.

As for VATS, in Fallout I never used VATS except for fights against creatures that would most definitely kill me. This "ne"w "Epic kill cam" in Skyrim is cool but annoying, especially when I'm hacking my way through hordes of easy mobs to grab my current goal.

All in all I'm happy with it, wouldn't give it for the world. Just too bad that I cannot take part in the mod community.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 09:15   #7
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
I would also have to admit that there are things about Skyrim that disappoint me but it also has alot more too it. I don't miss the copy paste dungeons, I'm personally a fan of the new skills system.

Killing of my followers... Quite often, I take joy in it and even made a game out of it. My bro and I would drink and bet on how quickly (game days) it would take to kill off my current follower. (Had to be accidental death; not on purpose)

I love how necromancy and magic and progressed since Oblivion. I absolutely love the destroyal of the Mages Guild.

As for VATS, in Fallout I never used VATS except for fights against creatures that would most definitely kill me. This "ne"w "Epic kill cam" in Skyrim is cool but annoying, especially when I'm hacking my way through hordes of easy mobs to grab my current goal.

All in all I'm happy with it, wouldn't give it for the world. Just too bad that I cannot take part in the mod community.
honestly, i don't know what your criteria are, but.... after about 60 hours or so, i felt liked i'd been everywhere as far as dungeons go, even when i hadn't, one or two tilesets used unapologetically throughout the entire game FTL.

Old 4th January 2012, 10:36   #8
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
honestly, i don't know what your criteria are, but.... after about 60 hours or so, i felt liked i'd been everywhere as far as dungeons go, even when i hadn't, one or two tilesets used unapologetically throughout the entire game FTL.
Have you gone back to Oblivion yet?

We must have different taste I'm sitting at about 80-90 hours and love it. I havent even started the main quest yet.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 5th January 2012, 07:11   #9
CountToAMillion

The first mission is so hard
Old 5th January 2012, 09:42   #10
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

You just have to kill the dude who has the claw, he is conveniently tied up in a spiders web.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 5th January 2012, 19:29   #11
CountToAMillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
You just have to kill the dude who has the claw, he is conveniently tied up in a spiders web.
Yeah then make your way through the ruins killing mummies on the way, or can you just go back to whiterun once you get it?
Old 6th January 2012, 04:03   #12
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountToAMillion View Post
Yeah then make your way through the ruins killing mummies on the way, or can you just go back to whiterun once you get it?
You should make your way through it. At the end there should be a Drugar in a coffin that uses shouts. Kill it, and grab the dragon plate or whatever it's called off of him. Don't forget to learn the shout from the wall.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 18th January 2012, 16:15   #13
CountToAMillion

Done all that now level 4 but rarely ever go on it.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center