Old 18th January 2005, 22:32   #1
aaronspuler

[rel] Orion

I have released my Orion skin for winamp. It comes in two variations: one with just player controls and one with player controls, song title, and song progress bar.

Available for download at my website.
aaronspuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 23:10   #2
axialix

Thumbs up

Nice! I like the simplicity.
axialix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2005, 06:06   #3
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Rejected by me, try skinning an equalizer before you re-submit. And even than, one would be enough, they are not so spectacular you need 2 versions.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2005, 07:33   #4
eh?one

very simple and usable longhorn skins would like to see the two versions combined into a single skin with a toggle type button.
eq isn't necessary for everyday use (imo... some ppl will disagree with this)

edit: the buttons are missing a push state which makes the buttons feel odd when clicked. adding the push state would be a nice touch
eh?one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2005, 16:00   #5
aaronspuler

Thanks for the info on the reject. I was wondering why it got rejected. I'll look in to skinning the equalizer. I personally don't use it, and the skin that I used as a base didn't have it. I can name 3 real good skins off the top of my head that don't have the eq skinned: emanon, inspariat royale, spirit.

The reason for 2 versions was because I initially envisioned it as a controller, to be used with my samurize config that shows album art, artist name, song name, and song progress. Personally, that's the version that I use. Then the other version is for people who don't have a setup like that. On sites such as gfxoasis.com and neowin.net I've been told that the multiple versions were requested and are liked by many.

As for a push state, could you recommend a color on the push state?
Old 19th January 2005, 17:04   #6
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

That may also be the reason those other skins are not in the Winamp database, or they may not have even been submitted to it. The minimum guidlines for publishing modern skins can be read here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=110858

I too would suggest combining those skins into a single skin and use a layout switch buton to flip between the modes. It would be a single download and everyone gets the mode they want.
rpeterclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2005, 17:17   #7
aaronspuler

I must have missed that in the guidlines. I'll see about adding an equalizer to my skin.

The switch mode button really sounds neat. Can you point me to any resources so I can find out how to do it?

Also, it seems that there is no way to enable alpha blending to any windows other than the equalizer and main window -- is this correct?

Considering that I had never even considered skinning anything for Winamp before January 10, 2005 I feel like I've been doing a pretty good job. Basically less than a week from start to finish for this skin.

Is there anyone that knows how to change the font for the font on the buttons at the bottom of the media library window (Library, Play, Enqueue, Show Info), please let me know. I can't figure out how to get that to match the font for the rest of the skin.
Old 19th January 2005, 18:25   #8
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

The switch mode button is easy, you'll have multiple <layout /> tags each with a unique ID attribute in your skin files and the switch mode button specifies which to switch to, here's an abbreviated example:

PHP Code:
<layout id="normal" w="298" h="369" desktopalpha="1" droptarget="pldr">
    <!-- 
stuff -->
    <
button
        id
="player.button.switch"

action="SWITCH"

param="SHADE"

x="80" y="5"

image="player.normal.button.switch.normal"

downimage="player.normal.button.switch.down"

tooltip="Switch Mode" />
    <!-- 
stuff -->
</
layout>

<
layout id="shade" w="298" h="369" desktopalpha="1" droptarget="pldr">
    <!-- 
stuff -->
    <
button
        id
="player.button.switch"

action="SWITCH"

param="NORMAL"

x="80" y="5"

image="player.shade.button.switch.normal"

downimage="player.shade.button.switch.down"

tooltip="Switch Mode" />
    <!-- 
stuff -->
</
layout
A window cannot have alphablending if it contains a component such as the playlist, media library, avs or video.

Changing the fonts for the buttons in the ML involves redefining what font Winamp thinks Arial is. I cannot recall if someone had found an easier way, but I think it worked by including an element like this:

PHP Code:
<truetypefont id="Arial" file="elements/fonts/Whatever.TTF" /> 
Only a week into coding Winamp skins? Good job!
Old 19th January 2005, 19:01   #9
aaronspuler

Thanks Peter. I'm having trouble getting the shade to work. The button is there, the code is there but clicking on the button has no effect. I can get it to work if I make the "shaded" part a component, then I can select that component and it will show up. But doing it the shade way isn't working for me yet.

Also, I'm trying out the font bit but no luck on there either....
Old 19th January 2005, 19:20   #10
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Make sure both of the <layout /> tags for the 2 modes are within the same <container /> tag.

Edit: This is the thread I remembered with the discussion about how to change those fonts, it was from WA3 days, but I think it should still apply.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=122303
Old 19th January 2005, 19:31   #11
aaronspuler

Thanks for the info. I have the shade mode working. There's 2 bugs right now when switching to the shade mode -- the volume slider button isn't there on hover, and the song progress button is missing totally. I'll troubleshoot that though.

EDIT:
Those problems were due to typos. They're already fixed.

Last edited by aaronspuler; 19th January 2005 at 19:53.
Old 19th January 2005, 23:03   #12
aaronspuler

I've made some definite progress -- the shade button now toggles between normal mode and extended mode (normal + song title and song progress). There is now also an equalizer!! I want to see if I can play with it a little more to make the fonts on the buttons in the bottom of the media library window match the rest of the skin.

Old 20th January 2005, 20:29   #13
aaronspuler

Ok, I've submitted this skin again for review. I believe that I addressed all the comments and criticisms. When trying to submit, it said there was already a component named Orion, but I couldnt' find one with the search utility. So I named it -orion- instead.

If possible, after review, could the name be changed back to Orion, or if that is not possible, could the file name still be Orion.wal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st January 2005, 01:48   #14
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

The name Orion has been taken, and won't be available. No, we can't make name changes.
Old 21st January 2005, 03:10   #15
aaronspuler

No problem, I'll take the name -orion-

Old 21st January 2005, 04:26   #16
eh?one

btw, your firefox/mozilla themes are GOD
eh?one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 06:26   #17
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
Quote:
Originally posted by eh?one
btw, your firefox/mozilla themes are GOD
OMG I <3 U !!!! thank you for your extensions as well
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 23:28   #18
goldenwillow

Exclamation on it's way! really great!

I think this has the capabilities of being a fantastic skin.

I've yet to find any skin that I like more than the default winamp modern, but this is pretty lovely.

Three things I would REALLY appreciate...

1. Some sort of visualization. Maybe just a tiny light on the player that lights up to the volume of the music. Maybe the background of the volume bar acting as a level indicator. I just need to check levels very often and also like the assurance of knowing signal is playing.

2. The edges on the other components [playlist, library, video] are pretty chunky. If there's some way you could design without those rough rounded corners this could be GREAT.

3. A crossfade button somewhere. It could fit in to the EQ you're working on, maybe.

Keep working on this, you may have made the first skin I ever decided to actually USE!

Much love
goldenwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 04:10   #19
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
make sure the playlist has a wishade mode or I'll never download it
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 14:13   #20
aaronspuler

Goldenwillow, thanks for your comments and feedback.
1.) What do you mean by checking levels? Can you point me to a skin that has the background of the volume bar as a level indicator?

2.) I know, I'm not happy about that part at all. I want to try to re-do that. I wish that the skinning engine allowed for alphablending on all components instead of just the main window and equalizer. If alphablending were available, all windows would have the nice glass edge.

3.) Any idea where you'd like a crossfade button in the equalizer window? I might see if there is a place that could be applicable in the main window also.

dlinkwit27, what do you mean by the playlist having a winshade mode? Can you point me to a skin that has this feature?
Old 27th January 2005, 00:36   #21
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

winshade modes for the playlist are overrated and underused. I won't use them, and I sure as hell won't make them.
Old 27th January 2005, 03:08   #22
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
all classic skins have the feature, the modern default skin has it, so does d-relaliction, any skin by RLP and RPC. Winshade is when you double click the window and it rolls up into a bar.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2005, 15:18   #23
aaronspuler

I doubt I'll do a winshade mode. I can't shrink the icons down small enough.

I submitted this skin to winamp.com well over a week ago, but have gotten no response yet. Should I re-submit?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins