Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions

Old 16th January 2014, 16:37   #161
lazvon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkey View Post
Spoken like an individual who's words are chained by an NDA.
No comment.
lazvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 16:18   #162
lazvon

Fat lady has sung her song.
Old 17th January 2014, 21:03   #163
Bryon Stout

updated privacy...

http://forums.winamp.com/legal/privacy.pdf
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 22:49   #164
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
ha ha ha I knew it all a long. Radionomy was taking over Shoutcast as well as Winamp. Don't take a rocket scientist or a P.I. to figure that out. Worked with Rock stations that took over religious stations and we'd throw a Rock tune in there from time to time. I remember when WLLZ 98.7 bought out a Christian station and suddenly threw in Kansas - Carry On Wayword Son or Point Of Knew Return and people wondered Hmmm but then the D.J's (if you can call them that) would say "Oh one of the members was Christian". But really how many "Christian" stations would play Legend Of A Mind a song about Metaphysics? so like I said the writing was on the wall it is just that some here was looking with rose colored glasses.

Now the REAL question will be if the second theory is right and that they will PAY Royalties for all Shoutcast users? This of course will be Ad Supported. Get ready to be REQUIRED to play at lest 4 ads per hour (not hard) I usually play a 60 second ad break avery 3 songs anyway. Now if they tell you that you can't play Genesis - Supper's Ready because its a 20 minute song or something like Pink Floyd - Echoes then its time to go with Icecast and AdsWizz to pay your royalties and Drop Shoutcast. By guess is that they will Welcome Progressive Rock stations and make a special clause for them so they can exist on Shoutcast.

Good Work: if your willing to allow long songs.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://hearit.tk

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 02:50   #165
ydnartitcomb

Here's the announcement http://radionomygroup.com/en/Home/News
ydnartitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 10:15   #166
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoohippie View Post
ha ha ha I knew it all a long. Radionomy was taking over Shoutcast as well as Winamp. Don't take a rocket scientist or a P.I. to figure that out. Worked with Rock stations that took over religious stations and we'd throw a Rock tune in there from time to time. I remember when WLLZ 98.7 bought out a Christian station and suddenly threw in Kansas - Carry On Wayword Son or Point Of Knew Return and people wondered Hmmm but then the D.J's (if you can call them that) would say "Oh one of the members was Christian". But really how many "Christian" stations would play Legend Of A Mind a song about Metaphysics? so like I said the writing was on the wall it is just that some here was looking with rose colored glasses.

Now the REAL question will be if the second theory is right and that they will PAY Royalties for all Shoutcast users? This of course will be Ad Supported. Get ready to be REQUIRED to play at lest 4 ads per hour (not hard) I usually play a 60 second ad break avery 3 songs anyway. Now if they tell you that you can't play Genesis - Supper's Ready because its a 20 minute song or something like Pink Floyd - Echoes then its time to go with Icecast and AdsWizz to pay your royalties and Drop Shoutcast. By guess is that they will Welcome Progressive Rock stations and make a special clause for them so they can exist on Shoutcast.

Good Work: if your willing to allow long songs.
They try sticking Adverts into my Shoutcast stream I won't be happy. I guess if that happens there will be more people using Icecast instead.
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 13:52   #167
Bryon Stout

Yea voodoo, you knew it all along. "Eye roll"

You came here and claimed shoutcast was done and dead. Then you tried to pump your affiliate link all over for a auto DJ that no one wants to use.
Old 18th January 2014, 14:33   #168
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Stout View Post
Yea voodoo, you knew it all along. "Eye roll"

You came here and claimed shoutcast was done and dead. Then you tried to pump your affiliate link all over for a auto DJ that no one wants to use.
Not to mention the Crap automation software he was plugging.
Old 18th January 2014, 19:33   #169
voodoohippie

first off let's stop with the lies about the radio automation software I represent. The software I have told you about cost less money than your precious competitors plus you don't have to purchase yet another audio processor program to clean up the mess that the competitors radio software creates in the first place. Ol for those of you who have upgraded to Windows 8 you would not have to turn around and purchase yet another version of the software costing hundreds more. So if you're rich in love to flush money down the toilet by all means purchase your competitors software.now lets get back on topic here as far as radionomy read the link. You will see that they are adds support it what does this mean you may ask? I take it that they will interject as before your station is tuned in. But don't ask me I'm just dumb and don't know what damn thing. Some people might be fooled but all people are not fooled.

Old 18th January 2014, 20:09   #170
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
first off let's stop with the lies about the radio automation software I represent. The software I have told you about cost less money than your precious competitors plus you don't have to purchase yet another audio processor program to clean up the mess that the competitors radio software creates in the first place. Ol for those of you who have upgraded to Windows 8 you would not have to turn around and purchase yet another version of the software costing hundreds more. So if you're rich in love to flush money down the toilet by all means purchase your competitors software.now lets get back on topic here as far as radionomy read the link. You will see that they are adds support it what does this mean you may ask? I take it that they will interject as before your station is tuned in. But don't ask me I'm just dumb and don't know what damn thing. Some people might be fooled but all people are not fooled.
Oh how wrong you are I don't pay for my automation software I use FREE stuff that works better than the paid for stuff. Just Google FREE automation software and you'll know what i use.
Old 18th January 2014, 21:14   #171
voodoohippie

Nothing wrong with FREE software like RadioDJ.Ro but for those who want a Radio Station In A Box WITH built in Audio processing that meets Audiophile quality standard and has BUILT IN encoding than the software in my signature may be for you. Plus you get phone support.

FREE software is good and Yes I use plenty of FREE tools. But some rather plug and play and want their station to run without errors on their PC rather its XP, Win7/8 and don't want to have to pay another heavy fee when they decide to upgrade the OS.

Winamp has a nice FREE DSP that will allow you to broadcast. again nothing wrong with it but don't expect to have all the bells and whistles you get with paid software and get instant updates and tech support. If you want your station to sound pro you need extra tools. Yes you can run or program yourself an auto playlist generator for Winamp. But even Winamp sounds better than some of the competitors software which in my opinion has an Audio Processor (if you can call it that) equal to a discount boom box's graphic EQ.

Different strokes for different folks.

I don't DOWN Radionomy just want to let you know that if you expect to run your stations AD FREE? in the future you may be FORCED to operate differently and this is when you have to re evaluate your choices. It has nothing to do with my choosing a .tk link for my signature. You should at least have an open mind as I do. Software is only as good as the operator using it this is true but I'd rather not have to buy another Audio Processor with my software and have it take even more resources on top of things like Stereo Tool or Breakaway Broadcast. Again they are good processers and I like Breakaway Broadcast when running alongside of SAM Broadcaster. Set to Amsterdam your Rocking like a UK Progressive Rock station or any other German, UK based sounding station. Sorry I'm an Audiophile and purchase Stereo systems like Luxman, Classaie (separate Preamp, Power Amp) and NO I DON'T USE RCA cables. I use Oxygen FREE XLR cable (Broadcast Standard) when monitoring any Radio station broadcast. Something any GOOD broadcasting school would have taught you. However half the people here would not know XLR cable from a guitar patch cord. Like I said I am not N E W when it comes to Audio equipment. Lesting to some of my equipment would make you green with pure envy. When you have heard REAL audio equipment come back and tell me about Audio processing. You won't get that from FREE software.

Old 18th January 2014, 22:05   #172
Bryon Stout

If your serious about internet radio you are not on a windows box. I would never run my stations on windows.

Any way they would shoot themselves in the foot if the forced ads. That won't happen. All your predictions have been false and no one wants to use your software.
Old 18th January 2014, 22:06   #173
Bryon Stout

lol at not using RCA when streaming a mp3 stream.
Old 18th January 2014, 23:51   #174
voodoohippie

How can you say my predictions are wrong? I guess you don't read Broadcastingworld.net and a few other good tech and Broadcasting sites. And Just because YOU don't like the software I have in my signature does not mean others won't. I bet you can run it in Linux with WINE (if you know how). its not so dependent on reg entries that you can't. More and More Windows based software has Linux in mind during development.

Oh wait I said Shoutcast may go down AS WE KNOW IT!!! If Radionomy uses Targetspot my friend it sure the hell means ads insertion. I guess a more in your face approach needs to be written in all the tech sites in the know but they can't do that because of NDA's and professionalism. Just as I predicted that Long Distance would be flat rate in the phone phreaker days and yes it was spelled PHreaker (The ability ty bypass paying for long distance before flat rate was set.) and I was laughed at so too will my prediction about Radionomy may come to pass. You just have to understand the business model and how it works. Plus the fact that royalty rates may go up and it could be the best option as apposed to paying MORE to broadcast your station Legally UNLESS your a ROUGE PIRATE station in the first place and then the latter don't matter anyway until the RUAA catches up with you. Have you ever thought this was part of the reason Radionomy bought Shoutcast out? Maybe just maybe the RIAA started to demand that Shoutcast start blocking links to unlicensed stations. Nah that can't be. If the RIAA can pressure Google into blocking search results to so called "Pirate" material that infringes on copyrighted material and they are a hell of a bigger company than Shoutcast.com then why not troll Shoutcast and make the same demands? Apparently you don't keep up with what the RIAA does either. There is a lot of war going on behind the scene between the RIAA/MPAA and the operators of many web sites. And now the RIAA is going after the ISP's to cancel your Internet if you infringe copyright. There is a method behind the madness don't just think that one day all the staff at AOL decided hey its a great day to give up Shoutcast.

Radionomy started abroad so expect them to pull lots of new tricks you may not have thought of yet. So love them or hate them it is what it is and that is the whole story. Stay tuned and you'll see the whole Internet Radio industry turned upside down.

Old 19th January 2014, 00:23   #175
lazvon

They don't just use TargetSpot... as of the end of December, TargetSpot and Radionomy merged... and now with Winamp/SHOUTcast, AOL owns a very small minority stake as well (according to Tech Crunch, not sure I've seen that elsewhere).

They also didn't just start abroad... at least on the Radionomy side, they ARE abroad still.
Old 19th January 2014, 01:23   #176
Bryon Stout

I can't even bother to read your terrible rants. Take your meds.
Old 19th January 2014, 03:40   #177
jaromanda
Forum King

real broadcasters use liquidsoap

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 03:43   #178
Bryon Stout

liquidsoap is the shit.

airtime uses that and a few others. We are building our own automated software with liquidsoap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
real broadcasters use liquidsoap
Old 19th January 2014, 14:09   #179
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Stout View Post
I can't even bother to read your terrible rants. Take your meds.

Amen to that he does tend to go on a bit
Old 19th January 2014, 23:17   #180
voodoohippie

Bryan your in the news so everyone you may want to read this link. Plus my theory according to this link just may not be too far out of line here:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...om-aol-010213/

Interesting Read have fun!!

Old 20th January 2014, 02:08   #181
Bryon Stout

interesting read but no real facts or news that we all don't already know.

Personally IF they force any type of ad's into shoutcast I can safely say that a very large majority of us will move to icecast. Forcing ads is not a great way to monetize the streams as its kinda an old business model. If they are smart they will come up with some creative way to monetize the 50,000 stations on shoutcast without forcing ad's on the streams.

What I think would be a "meet in the middle" situation would be if people were to tune in via shoutcast.com or shoutcast app then they could force ads in before the stream starts. I would be ok with that as I know only a small percent of my listeners actually use shoutcast.com or their app. Once they find my stream they are aware of my website and then end up tuning in via other apps, itunes or my website player.

Its all about being creative. Time are changing and just like the entire music industry you need to come up with new business models to monetize and make money. So many people fail including the big dog music industry people because they keep trying to beat a dead horse with ancient business models that just don't work in todays age and technology.

Quote:
Bryan your in the news so everyone you may want to read this link. Plus my theory according to this link just may not be too far out of line here:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...om-aol-010213/

Interesting Read have fun!!
Old 20th January 2014, 06:32   #182
voodoohippie

Hey Brian what you said make some sense. My question though is if they plan to cover our royalties for us shoutcast users how would they be able to cover the cost of royalties without playing at least 4 ads per hr? I like your idea however I just don't know how you can implement that. I know TuneIn does what you have described along with Nobex radio companion. and I would hope that radionomy gets paid a lot more per ad than what I would. You would have to get quite a few listeners per hour for that system to actually work well. but maybe sense some automobile radio manufacturers are including radionomy with their internet radios maybe that would be there nitch.

Old 20th January 2014, 10:48   #183
Jkey
Forum King

I see you are still making new friends voodoohippie.

Now that it is official, I wish Radionomy and shoutcast users all the best
for the future.

I am happy I was able to play my part in years gone by, both as an
admin/moderator of the shoutcast forums and my short time as a shoutcast dsp developer.

I'm off to get old disgracefully, have fun.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 10:56   #184
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
jkey,

I hope you stick around! I thought u did great dsp work.

just to pitch in my two cents, when I was running the webstreams for a FM, we ran 3 windows boxes, each with a SC instance, and one of which also did the DSP (the low bitstream one). they were fed the FM off a tuner.

this was ROCK SOLID. I'm a bit out of the loop now, but I'm sure they have the same setup.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 11:05   #185
lazvon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkey View Post
I'm off to get old disgracefully, have fun.
You'd stick around when AOL, based in the US, owned WA/SC... but not when an actual going concern in Internet radio that is based in the EU owns it?
Old 20th January 2014, 11:17   #186
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazvon View Post
You'd stick around when AOL, based in the US, owned WA/SC... but not when an actual going concern in Internet radio that is based in the EU owns it?
Jkey hasn't been active in broadcasting for a few years which is the reason behind his comment.

and fundamentally i doubt anyone really cares who owns things as long as hosting providers can still make money from minimal input to things and that broadcasters will continue to bitch about the smallest of minutia as that's what they do so well.

----------------------------------------------------------

as for the stuff that's being talked about by everyone else, last i checked ads were played before starting SC streams in WAFA and also on the main site for US users before the stream would start (though the implementation was dire and caused more issues than i think it ever helped).

what seems to be coming from the rambling posts (which i've just skim read as tl;dr) is about forced injection of ads into streams which unless you have newer broadcasting software installed to do that (which is exactly what services like Adswizz do via a customised Icecast DNAS) or explicitly done on client side (as has been done many years back in Winamp for the old AOL Radio service - which the functionality to do was effectively crippled when that all went away), then that's not going to be happening and what was in place was the only viable way to do such things i.e. ads on controlled 'official' access and what happens outside of that is down to other platforms, etc to mess around with things.

so maybe paying attention to what is _already_ in place and not just randomly drawing up week old announcements and whatever else is being bandied around would be better than the rumour mongering which is being thrown about and just not helping anyone (other than to make more people dislike voodoohippie than was already the case).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 11:29   #187
lazvon

Heh.
Old 20th January 2014, 14:55   #188
Bryon Stout

you answered your own question. It would work just like nobex.

1. Official app would have ads.
2. Ads start before stream begins if tuning in via official radionomy app or website. (I havent played around with it too much so I dont know if they interrupt the stream with ads but I do know they play ads before the stream begins.)

That would be a nice meet in the middle situation as it wouldn't affect our core audience and Radionomy would still profit and feed their machine to live.

That's just my idea on how I think it should work if ads had to be forced.

Quote:
Hey Brian what you said make some sense. My question though is if they plan to cover our royalties for us shoutcast users how would they be able to cover the cost of royalties without playing at least 4 ads per hr? I like your idea however I just don't know how you can implement that. I know TuneIn does what you have described along with Nobex radio companion. and I would hope that radionomy gets paid a lot more per ad than what I would. You would have to get quite a few listeners per hour for that system to actually work well. but maybe sense some automobile radio manufacturers are including radionomy with their internet radios maybe that would be there nitch.
Old 21st January 2014, 00:14   #189
MadJack

As long as we can program our own stations with our own material, I don't mind ads. I mean Shoutcast already places ads up before the stream starts. That's fine by me. I just don't want to program "my" station with material they chose ahead of time.
I mean it sounds great for beginners, don't get me wrong.
MadJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 03:34   #190
voodoohippie

Yes that was why I quit Radionomy but my station is ad supported but I choose when I want them inserted which I insert them every 3 songs. I am still able to play those long Pink Floyd Yes and Genesis tracks.

Old 21st January 2014, 18:16   #191
Greg_E
Major Dude

Skipping most of the posts since the official release is out, I will add only this:

Among others, real broadcasters use BSI Op-X software that runs on (oh gads) windows. Cumulus broadcasting uses nothing but Op-X or possibly Simian for all their stations, the ones that get bought get one of those when time allows. By number of stations owned Cumulus must (now) be the largest owner in the USA (or close to it) and there are plenty others using Simian or Op-X around the world. Please refrain from starting windows vs. other arguments here as it has no place in these forums.

http://www.cumulus.com/local-radio-2/

And no I do not work for them, but I have a good connection with BSI since we run their software too. There are another 5 to 10 top level broadcast automation applications and of those I would say more than 80 percent run on windows.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 20:01   #192
voodoohippie

Still searching for what Radionomy may do. Here is a later Interview with one of the staff at Radionomy talking about how they want to help Shoutcast Producers monetize their stations. Could this be what I was looking for? We'll See. I hope their Radio Manager becomes easier than it was when I tried to start The Legacy last time.

http://rainnews.com/more-on-radionom...st-and-winamp/

Old 22nd January 2014, 15:24   #193
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazvon View Post
It does not matter to me who owns WA/SC, as long as they do a good job.
This interest is purely for sentimental reasons.

As DrO mentioned I had already moved on. I only returned because I saw media reports
of winamp's sale. Now that has reached it's conclusion, there is no reason for me to
lurk here anymore. There has been no role for me here for a while.

j.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 21:03   #194
voodoohippie

Its called the "Churning" effect when a company takes over another company. Same term is used in the Cable TV industry wen subscribers come and go. Just more proof that change is in the air folks.

And the Beat goes on.

Old 30th January 2014, 15:46   #195
DJ Matt

I see stream pre-rolls in the future, and for people willing to sign up, possibly in-stream ads or getting a cut of the pre-roll money.

Real broadcasters know you gotta make that $2500 minimum payment to the clown exchange somehow...

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
http://www.star104.net
Oldies104 Celebrating 14 years on the air! (Does anyone remember OldiesRadioNET.com?)
DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions