Old 16th January 2014, 00:59   #1
sankt

Death of the PC means end of web

Interesting article about how the fall of notebooks and desktops - and the rise of tablets and smartphones will mean the Internet will turn into just a bunch of apps. The "open internet" of web pages will be no more.

http://www.wired.com/business/2014/0...-mean-end-web/

I still think the idea of the "open internet", ie - individual web pages will be around for a while. Things would get overtly chaotic if the net became nothing but a series of apps.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 03:26   #2
mikm
Major Dude

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see the PC disappearing anytime soon.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 12:14   #3
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Perhaps not for consumers, but many of the corporate clients I work with are marching down the VDI with thin client road.

Except when someone needs a weird local printer, because fuck printers.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 13:02   #4
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

"the fall of notebooks and desktops"... Do You think, that so less PCs & notebooks are sold in the future? Maybe more phones & tablets are sold, but also PCs & notebooks will be still sold, why shouldn't they? They have more capacity than phones & tablets, and I always need also the harddrives, more than 1, with enough backup-copies, because I have so much files.

Many people are not at home for so many hours per day, but they still need also their PCs & notebooks, if they are at home finally and if they want to relax with very good music & videos on the harddrives and in the internet. Especially for their PCs they can have a very large monitor, and with mobile devices outside it isn't possible.

Sure, in a car they shouldn't watch TV, if they drive, but they can listen to the music with the loudspeakers. If I listen to the music in the city trains (with real on-ear-headphones), then I look through the windows of the trains and I don't look onto my Archos 43. I have seen many other people, who did something in Facebook on their iPhones & Android Phones. Or they looked somewhere else in the internet, while they listened to the music.

I myself think, E-Mail-Adresses & passwords are not secure enough yet on mobile devices, only on computers at home. I got the apps, because I have downloaded them onto my PC and I have copied them to my Archos 43 and Odys Xelio (I use my Odys Xelio for the TV of my mother, if I visit her). I wouldn't go online with my very important accounts on a mobile device. If I would be forced to go online on a mobile device, then at first I would create a further user-account, which isn't very important for me and where a loss isn't very dramatic. And if I login on my PC, then always without "remember password".

I want to use PCs & notebooks also in the future. Somebody had told me, Windows 10 wouldn't be on the computer itself anymore, this OS would be on a cloud, but I see already problems with that. Suddenly the internet connection can be lost, because a router doesn't work anymore (or another reason). The OS has to be on the computer itself, and I say: Windows XP / Vista / 7 (please no Windows 8!).

I have so many accounts in so many platforms, the most of them are connected each other. I have my uploads, favourites & playlists there, and I need all my profiles for music, art, lyrics, videos...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 16:05   #5
Jay
Moderator Alumni

I think it depends on your definition of "Web". Frankly when I think of the web I think of the Internet. Trust me, that ain't going anywhere. Now if we are talking about a traditional HTTP website, maybe. However, I think there will always be a place so long as HTML stays relevant.

Using apps is great and all but creating further barriers to entry for web services is probably not the goal of many. Also anyone who thinks desktop computing is dying is not really thinking about the reality of the market. The fact is, we have less need to upgrade our computers. The power of the processor has finally gotten to a level that most are happy with what they have for a longer period of time. Looking at sales forecasts and not the reality would definitely make some think the sky is falling. However, I doubt it. If anything the rise of tablet and phones as internet devices is only adding more users to the network, not fewer.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 16:21   #6
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

"PC´s" should begin to be think´ed more like Powerful Computers instead of the old paradigm of "Personal Computer"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
..we have less need to upgrade our computers.
Totally true, and totally ignored by those speaking about less PC sale & PC death.. the thing is that the power that PCs have TODAY is still very far away from what "mobile" (phones & tablets) can have in some years; Music collections, loads of images and work files, HD movie files, all taking gigs and gigs which mobile isn´t even starting to offer.. and with a speed not even dreamed about.. Not even talking about TRUE Video power processing (gamers and audio/visual pros going mobile? I doubt it..), or Multimedia centers, you can´t connect everything on a phone or tablet (saying.. surround music system, HD video feed, etc).
And then there is the precision factor, for work, I can´t imagine doing graphic / video / sound workers going all over touch systems.. there is a precision thing still missing (maybe with bigger screens, but you return to home desktops then..). Hell, I can´t imagine managing an entire music collection doing everything trough touch!

Industry wants people to believe what´s best for them.. they want people to believe that "hard drives are not the future" because it´s cheaper to host everything in a controlled server (bye bye privacy..), they want people to believe that you will control everything in your home trough a phone but "smart devices" are still far far away and in the end it will still need some sort of network setup (that would probably be better handled with a single-srt-of-Poweful-Computer connected to everything). And so on..

The way I see it, when it grows up, mobile wants to be like Powerful Computers.. (but with the mobility factor).

I will start to believe in PC´s death when I see a phone/tablet with 1TB+ of storage, gigs of video processing, 5.1/6.1 sound system, battery lasting more than 5 days, ability to work on a larger screen on the fly, some sort of easy way of writing and some way to work with precision.. (plus a totally polished UI that makes me forget about mouse clicks and alt-clicks..)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 21:17   #7
sankt

Red China is working on an " alternative " mobile operating system to break the " monopoly " that Google and Apple has. It is Linux based, not sure if it is a derivative of Android. Supposed to offer a lot more bells and whistles than Android and IOS.

http://www.zdnet.com/china-reveals-o...em-7000025287/

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
Old 18th January 2014, 00:20   #8
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Marketing pushes mobile smart devices because of the fact that powerful computers won't die fast enough to be as profitable as they used to be. There's no need to follow if your desktop or laptop suits your needs.

My desktop was bought in 2008 and is still a lot more powerful and high-spec'd than a lot of current desktops, and far, far, far more powerful than mobile devices.

It's also far superior in terms of human interface:

There are more pixels (more than HD actually) on a screen that is set up so it won't hurt my neck with continued use the way portables do. Portalbes make you strain your neck looking down or strain your arms looking ahead.

The Unicomp keyboard is engineered and unsurpassed for any amount of typing without fatigue. A wrist rest is helping too. Keyboards are faster to type with and have tactile feedback, especially this one with actual metal springs in it.

The mouse is more precise than a fat finger on a small screen, and less strain than moving your arm all over a big touch screen, and it offers more functions than a touch screen.

The tower has easily interchangeable and upgradeable components. It has usb ports for seemingly endless expansion options. Try doing that to your ipad or galaxy.

The tower has a few terabytes of storage, not just a few gigs.

The desktop is far better for work and actually getting productive stuff done, while the mobile seems far too focused on communication and entertainment.

Most of these features are still on a laptop, but not on other mobile devices.

I very much fear that desktop computers could go the way of old hi-fi stereo systems. People will stop buying good, high-spec excellent quality stuff and start buying disposable small junk. Stupid consumers.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 15:33   #9
sankt

The primal forces of business, desktop vs smartphone.

Who said that consumers were necessarily smart any way

Old 18th January 2014, 15:54   #10
sankt

On a side not, Google and Apple are certain to continue giving the cable companies a headache with their developement of Internet connected smart Televisions. I think the technology is pretty darn close, its just a matter of the content now and sealing deals with content providers to make the package complete.

Old 18th January 2014, 16:11   #11
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Uh...what? I can see use cases for some mobile/portable platforms...but, for real work; all these things currently lack a truly functional system that allows you to do all that desktops/laptops can perform. I believe, that these portable devices are filling a niche that is essentially market capped. I mean to say that there is only so much area for them to fill...and eventually, they will hit their maximum usage. Which is why there is a precedence for them to be replaced. They have taken the model of the pc/desktop upgradeability and closed the architecture so, they may reap unheard of profitability on slight feature changes on the hardware.

Overall, the desktop market while not in high growth; isn't something that has died over the generations of journalists signaling their demise to begin with. This is a constantly moving target. Everything happening in the mobile space is what has already occurred 20 years ago on the pc.

There will always be a case for a desktop/laptop and likely more than a few cases for portable devices as well.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 16:16   #12
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
Uh...what? I can see use cases for some mobile/portable platforms...but, for real work; all these things currently lack a truly functional system that allows you to do all that desktops/laptops can perform. I believe, that these portable devices are filling a niche that is essentially market capped. I mean to say that there is only so much area for them to fill...and eventually, they will hit their maximum usage. Which is why there is a precedence for them to be replaced. They have taken the model of the pc/desktop upgradeability and closed the architecture so, they may reap unheard of profitability on slight feature changes on the hardware.

Overall, the desktop market while not in high growth; isn't something that has died over the generations of journalists signaling their demise to begin with. This is a constantly moving target. Everything happening in the mobile space is what has already occurred 20 years ago on the pc.

There will always be a case for a desktop/laptop and likely more than a few cases for portable devices as well.
+1 I have no intention of ditching a Desktop PC I rely on it to do my radio stuff with. I couldn't do on Android what I can do on windows 7.
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 18:27   #13
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Most people here are heavy computer users I think. For work, pc's will be the way to go. For home use, I don't really think so.

For personal use, a lot of people don't use heavy applications at all.
For gaming, most people play flashgames on facebook.
Large storage isn't that important anymore. Music can be streamed and movies/series can be watched through video on demand on your TV.
Most people only use office applications for a quick letter in word or an email client, not that thrilling. You don't need a 100 different fonts.
A hardware keyboard is only interesting if you type a lot, which is usually in a work-environment.
Printers... well what was the last thing you really had to print? and would you still do so after say 5 years? And most printers have a network connection nowadays.
A phone's component are what they are, yes. But what are you missing?

If you want something heavier, then yes, you need a pc. But I think that a lot of families will dump their pc whan it breaks and will settle for a tablet and/or phones. (is the word phone even still up to date?)

But the internet being gone? why? there is a browser on your tablet/phone as well. I can't see why browsing on a pc or a tablet/phone would change the internet. A browser is a browser.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 22:54   #14
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
I believe your mistaken WOFTL - Steam Usage @ around 7Million daily users, Origin Usage @ around 4 Million Daily users, Blizzard and Ubisoft online totals tell a completely different story than what you are identifying.

For a complete experience of gameplay, productivity, usage and variety...you cannot beat the general application availability of Personal Computers.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 02:07   #15
ydnartitcomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
I believe your mistaken WOFTL - Steam Usage @ around 7Million daily users, Origin Usage @ around 4 Million Daily users, Blizzard and Ubisoft online totals tell a completely different story than what you are identifying.

For a complete experience of gameplay, productivity, usage and variety...you cannot beat the general application availability of Personal Computers.
You my friend are absolutely right...
ydnartitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 13:31   #16
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Artists need PCs & Macs with very large harddrives. Especially the current projects of the musician- & video-software eat very much disk space, more than the final audio- & video-files. From time to time they have to delete the projects to get the disk space back, if they know, that they will never work on these projects anymore. Okay, a DJ can take a notebook or macbook with Traktor Pro for live performances to the Dance Clubs, but for the artist works a PC or Mac, a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse are required.

My longest Winamp-Milkdrop-Video with 13 minutes in 1920x1080 pixel has over 2 GB, the screen-recording itself had over 150 GB (my MAGIX Video Deluxe 17 Premium has a built-in screenrecorder). Another video-artist creates much longer Winamp-Milkdrop-Videos in 1280x720 pixel between 90 minutes and 3 hours. 2 and a half hours have 25 GB, and the screen-recordings have much more GB. 2x 2000 GB harddrives (or better: 2x 4000 GB) are necessary for that, although they wouldn't be enough anymore very soon.

Try to create a song, a long DJ-Mix or a music-video with a phone or tablet instead of a PC or Mac. Can You do that on mobile devices? No, I don't think so...

Old 6th February 2014, 03:10   #17
alisha111

it will not happened pc will end , their is a lot of uses that pc can do ..but in time comes yes agree now people using mobile, tablet in browsing thats why we in chatwing live chat also have now a mobile apps.
alisha111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 09:13   #18
juggared

this is not meant a lot of uses that pc can do.
juggared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 11:14   #19
Bytemann

PC's will somehow evolve into something else, and the web will become the cancer of the future.
Bytemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 13:28   #20
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 22:04   #21
sankt

The terminator uses a hacked versions of System V

Old 16th February 2014, 06:39   #22
Satuim

Aw and I just started using HTML to create a basic site

The talk about the apps could be true because mobile sites are less advance then there apps
Satuim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 02:48   #23
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
The sheer stupidity of articles like this skips over the biggest point - almost everyone owns a home computer. So they are not selling big because everyone already has one. I bought my first new one in nearly seven years because frankly I didn't need to. Smart phones and tablets...well those are selling like wildfire right now because no one had them and of course phones upgrade every few months with little in new innovation but people have to rush out and be the first to own one. So right now the industry sees a 'decline' in sales of standard PC's and laptops and 'increase' in sales of smart phones and tablets.

In my opinion nothing beats the desktop computer. I like being able to burn a disc, expand my storage I see fit, add memory, change video or anything else. Once you buy a phone nothing will change on it. Once you buy a tablet that's it...nothing will ever change on it.

Simply put the chances the desktop computer or the internet itself changing because of phones or tablets is slim to none.

1001. FM - Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 03:16   #24
sid1138

The different devices do different things

So, I have a smart phone, a tablet, three lap tops and a large PC at both home and work. Each of these devices has a different role and a different capability. For example, I use the phone to make phone calls and monitor traffic. I may browse the web, and I also use mobile WinAmp to listen to Shoutcast stations.

But I do not do serious work on the phone.

The tablet is and old Nook, and it is great for reading books and a few games. But again, I do not do serious work on the tablet.

The laptops allow me to do reasonable work and bring the systems for presentations and so on. But they are limited significantly. While I do a lot of work and games on the laptops, the limitations can be painful. For example, 0.5 TB of disk and 8 GB of RAM sounds like a lot until you try to run a virtual machine on the thing. Even without that, try to read 3 documents at once on a lap top. The roughly 100 square inches (245 square cm) of screen area is good for one document - and that is only barely.

Now, my home system has three monitors hooked to it, for over 700 square inches (4,600 square cm) of monitor space. That allows me to do serious work, serious web accesses, serious games. There is no way a tablet will ever give me that kind of viewing real estate.

The home computer also has 5.1 surround sound with a full set of speakers/amplifiers, HD video camera, quality microphone, 6 hard drives (for speed and redundancy), large memory, very fast quad-core processor, gigabit Ethernet connection, nearly 2TB of recorded video and music that is available anywhere in the house, and on and on.

There is no way a tablet or laptop could come even close. And even if it could, it would cost 3-5 times more than the PC.

So, the PC is not dead, it just has a different role from the smaller systems. Of course, there are many people who won't know about all of the capabilities of the PC and will therefore pay large amounts for less capabilities, but that does not mean the PC is dead. It is just not the only device around any more.

One last point - Wired is a good magazine, but they love to publish articles about how some latest tech device will change everything. Yes, there is change, but they like to exaggerate the amount of change that will happen.

Sid1138
sid1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 18:59   #25
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

It is very good to have all the different devices: PCs, notebooks, phones, tablets. And if somebody has more than only 1 room at home and enough money, then more than only 1 PC, more than only 1 notebook and some more mobile devices are very good, also, if the person lives alone. I know somebody with 5 computers. Many people are married and have children, and each family member should have at least 1 own computer & 1 own mobile device. I think, only 1 PC for the whole family is not so good, quarrels would be inevitable.

For my Workstation PC (Windows Vista 64-bit) I have 2 x 1 TB. Okay, I don't create long mixes with music from various artists (I listen to them only), but many YouTube-User do that, and for their long Winamp-Milkdrop-Videos they need 2 x 2 TB. Enough disk space is always very important, especially for composers, DJs, video-artists etc. Also I need the mouse & mouse pad at my Workstation PC, if I cut image-files with IrfanView exactly to 16:9 or 1:1, with the exact pixel-sizes. On my notebook I would never be able to do that.

Many people travel to another place in the holidays or they make their business journeys. A notebook in the hotel for the evening is very good, with the most important final files, copied via USB-sticks from the PCs to the notebooks. A notebook is also useful for the Summer in the garden (some people have an own garden). I myself had to sleep once in my mother's apartment (for 2 nights), after she came back from the hospital, and I had my notebook with me, with the same final files. Frank and I don't have a garden (only a balcony), but I take my notebook to the bed and listen to music very often. It is so beautiful to be hypnotized and fall asleep.

I wish, there would be a micro SDXC card with more than only 64 GB, at least 256 or 512 GB (why not 2 TB?). Many devices still support only micro SDHC cards with maximal 32 GB. 32 GB are not enough for me. I have to delete folders very often to get new folders onto the card. I do that via Windows Explorer, because I don't want to use WiFi Sync or USB Sync (at first I always close Winamp before connecting an Android Device). It is very good to use an Android device in a car with loudspeakers or in the city trains & busses with real on-ear-headphones. I myself prefer the shuffle mode for all songs, and I use the airplane mode.

In Germany many people are outside of home for so many hours. The way to work is long very often, and mostly the people have to work more than 8 hours, mostly 10-12 hours (for small wages). Using another PC is possible only in own shops and in offices, if the employer allows that, but not in fabrics, where people have to work on the assembly line, and also not in the supermarkets, where people have to sit on the cash or stand at the stall. At least in the busses & trains they can listen to music. If they are finally at home, then they want to relax at least for 1-2 hours, and a PC with 5.1 surround sound is very good for that. In the Summer also a notebook in the garden will do the job, but for the Winter a PC is much better (and enough place in the apartment, of course)...

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions