Old 23rd November 2014, 15:42   #1
roni_eliav

how to?

Hi to all!

I really want to develope plugins to winamp, but I can't seem to find any normal documentation or tutorial about it. I don't know where to start!
I already downloaded the SDK and saw the classes. How can I use them? What can I do with them? Can I add features to winamp (like menus)?

Please help me with this!
roni_eliav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 13:34   #2
roni_eliav

Anyone? Please, I just need a little guidance on where can I find documentation about the classes and other stuff.
Old 29th November 2014, 13:37   #3
DrO

all there is is what is provided in the header files and any code snippets in the sdk installer. adding menus is something you have to do (and have to ensure you do it so it doesn't mess up native behaviour) but you're best looking at one of the working plug-in examples and going from there. if you're expecting all singing all dancing examples and guides then i'm sorry but Winamp plug-in documentation has perpetually been poor and is unlikely to see any real improvement any time soon.

really it's better to ask specific questions for issues once you've tried to do things than just a generic how to.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 13:43   #4
roni_eliav

First of all, thanks for answering!
Can you show me where are those examples? Can you give me some links for anything that can help a newbie like me, that for at least show how to make any little-tiny thing - but real thing - with winamp? It will be super-helpful!
Old 29th November 2014, 13:47   #5
DrO

some examples are provided in the SDK installer. but i don't know what you're hoping to achieve (and so what type of plug-in you should be creating) so it's hard to say what to try to look at other than just crawling through things as you find them.
Old 29th November 2014, 19:54   #6
roni_eliav

I want to make a simple plugin - to save all the smart-view lists at once, every time the winamp starts.
Old 29th November 2014, 20:26   #7
DrO

you've not picked an easy thing to try as not everything needed to be able to do that is available and is something that really needs to be provided natively in-Winamp (and is something that's been on my unofficial todo/wishlist since the middle of 2013).
Old 30th November 2014, 14:18   #8
roni_eliav

There is a plugin that saves the smart-view lists, but it's not working flawlessly, and it doesn't have the option to save all of them on startup.
I just need to see some examples (of something similar of just something that works), so I can examine them and make some changes. I need something to start with it. I'm pretty sure that if the programmer that created this plugin (the one that I mentioned before) done it and it's working, then I believe that I can do something if I really try hard.
Old 30th November 2014, 17:25   #9
DrO

and the plug-in you're referring to is...?
Old 30th November 2014, 18:33   #10
roni_eliav

here:
http://winampplugins.co.uk/mlexporter.html
enjoy
(and I know it's yours)

Last edited by roni_eliav; 30th November 2014 at 19:44.
Old 30th November 2014, 19:42   #11
DrO

you've probably not realised but that's one of my plug-ins. so what's the issues with it? as it'd be simpler if i fix it (though i intend to merge it into Winamp 6.x) than you try to do things if i've already got a generally working plug-in.
Old 30th November 2014, 19:57   #12
roni_eliav

It's working, but not for all windows versions. I just need to export the Smart-views at startup.
Old 30th November 2014, 20:03   #13
DrO

not working in what way? i need a bit more information than that to try to fix whatever the issue is (as i've only actively used the plug-in on XP and Win7).

as for the option to export on start-up, i can add it (though it'd likely be done within a few seconds of Winamp starting so everything needed would be loaded).
Old 30th November 2014, 20:13   #14
roni_eliav

It's something weird, but win8 works fine, win7 as well - but win xp does have a problem with saving the lists (one time it does, and couple of them it doesn't).
If you say that you can add this option for start-up - it will be great!

And I got another question - is there a way to change the presets at the smart-views to be smarter? Because now they can do "and" or "or" commands, but not if-else statements. Is there a way to make it that way? To add an option to write a code or add brackets for precedence or put and "or" between a couple of commands.

Thanks for the help!
Old 30th November 2014, 20:19   #15
DrO

the library queries just don't have the support to do such things and tbh i doubt they ever will (and is not something that can be hacked in without implementing you're own ml_local implementation).

though you can chain and and or together from what i remember, but if-else is definitely not and i refer to my comment in the paragraph above.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development