Old 4th October 2020, 15:46   #1
uncbba02

Compatibility

I downloaded the current version of Winamp but every time I go to use it I get the attached. In the properties, under compatibility, it only has up to Windows 8 and I am running 10. I've had Winamp for almost 20 years, Windows 98/XP and never had this issue.

Anyone know what this is about? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

-Life, Love & Laughter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	54650  
uncbba02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 18:13   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Follow the instructions in the notice. You don't need to run Winamp in any compatibility mode.

Use the task manager to make sure no Winamp processes are still running after it is shutdown. If you see any, use the task manager to end them (stop them running). I don't know why in every case, but Winamp may not completely shutdown. In my case it was caused by an old plug-in that wasn't compatible with the version of Windows I was using. Removing that plug-in solved the issue.

Windows now blocks most programs from writing to the registry on their own. This started with Windows 7 and has become more restrictive with each subsequent version.

When you first install Winamp it automatically elevates itself (runs in administrator mode) for the installation (in order to write any required entries to the registry), then runs without elevation after that. If you use any old plug-ins (those made before Windows 7), then you may need to run Winamp in administrator mode when you install and/or run the plug-in the first time. This lets any registry entries the plug-in needs to be written to the registry. After this, then Winamp and the plug-in (if it has no other compatibility issues) can be used without any compatibility mode.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 15:56   #3
Betechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbba02 View Post
I downloaded the current version of Winamp but every time I go to use it I get the attached. In the properties, under compatibility, it only has up to Windows 8 and I am running 10. I've had Winamp for almost 20 years, Windows 98/XP and never had this issue.

Anyone know what this is about? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

-Life, Love & Laughter
I´m facing the same issue since I reinstalled this newer version (beta).

I do as it says, go to properties>compatibility... However, this compatibility box is already unchecked when I get there. I even tried checkin and uncheking it again, but no results. Whenever I open winamp, I see this same alert message which is quite annoying.
I tried to run as administrator, reboot an all that, but it keeps the same.

Any luck?
Betechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support