Old 18th June 2003, 11:00   #1
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Xerxes' Remix Skin

Presenting my entry into the contest: GaretJax's Slick Series 5
is now the FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT remix

The transformation is nothing less than radical- yet the connections
palpable through the preservation of the composition elements. The original's "binocular" shaped frame - with the centered volume bar
tucked into the bends. The horizontals readouts over the "binoculars" The original EQ bar assembly has been barely touched- only round frame and color changed.

Through it all, the ultra sophisticated Frank Lloyd Wright aesthetic
has been maintained. Much of the skin was inspired by the 174 pieces
of Wright designed "art glass" that make up the windows and doors of
his 1909 Robie House. I consciously attempted to heighten the drama of
Wright's geometric abstractions with exciting color contrast - as well as the intricate pixel-work that I have used in other skins.

ALL elements are skinned- including 2.9 elements, as well as the Amarok and Mikroamp plugins.

As for the Download, I'd love to provide a link but am unsure if the remix contest rules allow for such a thing. Can I get an official word on that from db?

So.. when you DO get a chance to download it... enjoy.

Now is the time for all good Americans to come to the aid of their Country
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 13:35   #2
Jellby
Major Dude

Wow! Superb!

At first I didn't see the original, but now I see it, and I see your style too. It reminds me of this (the original is top right, of course)

You may win, that's a good thing, I wan't the second prize

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Then be not so quick to deal out death in judgement.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 14:35   #3
dimichan
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dimichan
Wow! Niiiice! And remixed in a way I'd never have thought of in a thousand years... (notes her remix is at a grinding halt at the moment thanks to the marvels of a state of the art self rebooting computer >_<)

I really like this - yeah, we need to know about downloading, though I can't think it would be a problem in at least the forums since there's no "theme" that everyone is following...
dimichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 16:07   #4
Jellby
Major Dude

The only problem is that, if judges are allowed to download and play with the skins before the date, they can feel a bit "bored" about them when it's judging time, and reward other previously-unseen skins... I don't know whether this makes any sense.

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Old 18th June 2003, 16:14   #5
StillWater
Forum King

Very nice looking skin, with vibrant energy and great colours. I think if you alluded to the original skin any less than you have, the link would have probably been rather spurious - but as it is now, the visual references are strong enough IMO for people to see that it's a remix. And since you've given the skin a concrete theme, I think this strengthens the link: not just two radically different skins with a ripped EQ and a similar shape up-top, but rather as if you had some Frank Lloyd Wright 'clothes', and had chosen to the 'body' to put them on to be Slick Series 5.

I like it a lot. It blows your other skins out of the water, in my opinion, and will make a terrific entry, and a nice addition to my own collection. Nevertheless, although I know you don't like listening to feedback, I have to say that some parts of it seem really uninspired to me compared to the rest, and let the skin down a bit - namely, the three grey bars on the main (and the black text on them is quite hard to read). Anyway, I'm not a judge, so that's just routine criticism, and you don't need to worry about what I think as far as winning prizes are concerned (unless the judges happened to agree with me about that, obviosuly, but who knows what they'll think...)

If you're like me, then you'll wait some weeks and come back to it with fresh eyes and a more objective perspective, and see what you are able to do to it then to improve it (there's no such thing as something that cannot be improved).

If you're not, and you're itching to offer it for download, then you should simply submit it into the contest. When you submit, there is a checkable option that enables your skin to published immediately. Click the logo in my sig and near the bottom, you'll see the submission area.

I will answer the question about publishing WSZs more explicitly in the contest thread as soon as I've discussed it with Max.
////question answered: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....243#post992243

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net

Last edited by StillWater; 18th June 2003 at 17:02.
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 17:07   #6
pukkaboy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to pukkaboy
Good show old chap! At first i was like, "this is a joke", but then i looked closer and saw all the neat little connections. i think this is a superb example of a remix. Hurrah!

Croquet is the only real form of happiness
Proud member of the Correct Grammar Association™. (CGA)
'All of your bases belong to us!'
pukkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 18:22   #7
Mr_007
Banned

very beautiful skin xerexes!
Mr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 18:26   #8
StillWater
Forum King

I'm feeling a nervous tic starting to form in me

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 18:42   #9
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I'm beginning to feel something similar....twitchy fingers......
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 18:52   #10
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Haha, I was wondering when you said you were remixing Slick, "What the hell is Xerxes doing anywhere near a metal skin?" Now I see. Xerxes wins! Have fun with that Nomad.
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 23:26   #11
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Quote:
Originally posted by ¤db¤
Nevertheless, although I know you don't like listening to feedback, I have to say that some parts of it seem really uninspired to me compared to the rest, and let the skin down a bit - namely, the three grey bars on the main (and the black text on them is quite hard to read).

If you're like me, then you'll wait some weeks and come back to it with fresh eyes and a more objective perspective, and see what you are able to do to it then to improve it (there's no such thing as something that cannot be improved).

I will answer the question about publishing WSZs more explicitly in the contest thread as soon as I've discussed it with Max.
////question answered: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....243#post992243
Well, Its not like I hate feedback; I think most artists love it. I just don't go for the "criticsm of every stage" thing. Feedback on a finished product is more than welcome.

As for the triad of grey bars- that area of a W2 skin is what always gives me the most grief (And would you know it, my favorite part is the EQ bars). I love symettry, and the construction of the main window simply doesn't allow for it. So what I consciously did is create three strong horizontals and then mirror that with a grey bar at the top of the EQ and at the bottom of the PL. I had would loved more than anything to give the bars some transparency and had a subtle art-glass background (Like the EQ title) but text BG doesn't allow for it.

I might still, however, change some of my text features on it to cream rather than black- I enjoyed that idea.

===

So basically I am waiting for GaretJax's word on letting me offer a download and I will submit the skin (With possibly a few modifications) and link it.

Now is the time for all good Americans to come to the aid of their Country
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 01:30   #12
e-raser
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to e-raser Send a message via AIM to e-raser
when i was yonger i seriously concidered going into architecture but then i talked with abunch of them and they said "if i would like to be happy at any point im my adult life this aint the profession" so that sent me on a different path which lead to illustration and animation. quite happy that i took the advice but anyhow back to topic, your skin is awsome, i love FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT, he was my favorit architect from day one.....this is a marvoluse skin!
e-raser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2003, 12:58   #13
Jellby
Major Dude

Some "bugs" I've found and you might be interested in fixing:

- Play and Pause buttons are a bit too big, there are some red pixels at the top that don't change to blue when pressed.
- There's something in the eq-bars, under the slider, sometimes you can see black pixels there
- The presets button looks like moving up when pressed.
- The letters in the "add" stack move to the right when pressed, other stacks don't move.

I've tested it with xmms, but I think these "bugs" will remain in winamp.

Old 28th June 2003, 20:32   #14
kingstar

Send a message via AIM to kingstar Send a message via Yahoo to kingstar
I just had a quick view and I must say that I liked the way it was remixed, although I still prefer the orginal style ( nothing wrong with the remix, its just my personal preference )

Looking at the AVS and minibrowser windows, they dont fit the style of the remix. THe main, equalizer and playlist editor had these "complex designs and backgrounds" while the mb and avs looked plain in comparison

Just my two cents
kingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2003, 08:55   #15
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
/me likes

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2003, 23:59   #16
bobo
Major Dude

looks amazing. wants download
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins