Old 20th June 2000, 05:02   #1
forrie

Why is the default display format now absent of the complete URL in the playlist? I want this displayed with the URL as I use that to sort my collections (by directory). I've looked all over the menus and config and can't find a way to correct this. ???
forrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2000, 08:27   #2
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

i'm basically taking a stab in the dark here because i can't understand your question.

1) the default playlist display for songs didn't change in 2.64, and hasn't changed since i first started using winamp.

2) if you want to change the playlist display, go to preferences -> plug-ins -> input: nullsoft mpeg. change the id3 display using the codes given.

3) the only way an id3 tag supports url's is in the comment block, represented by %5.

[Edited by Jayn on 12-20-2000 at 11:43 AM]
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2000, 08:32   #3
forrie

Okay. Before 2.64, my playlist would show:
http://some.com/mp3/song.mp3

now it shows

1. song.mp3

And I changed nothing... can can't seem to figure out how to get it back to where it was before.
Old 21st June 2000, 10:02   #4
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

that would imply that you are streaming the files in realtime over a high speed connection. you'd be the first person i know of to do that. or you might be using shoutcast? you've really got me confused. i might be able to help if i had more info.
Old 21st June 2000, 16:58   #5
forrie

Yes, I am streaming it over a high speed connection -- here at home on a LAN. Nothing has changed, except how the play list is displayed in WinAMP when upgrading (in my previous message).
Old 22nd June 2000, 05:07   #6
blackhawk

I see this as well.. I think the playlist is automatically trying to load the id3 tag on demand but can't because it's streaming. It seems to do this despite the fact that I have Read titles on demand and load turned off...

This only started happening after I installed 2.64.. Bug?

Also, is there anyway to make winamp not display that stupid pop-up window every time it starts playing a file over http? It gets really annoying since I like to place winamp in the background and every time a new song starts it pops itself to the foreground..
blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2000, 05:10   #7
forrie

Yes, this seems to be a bug indeed. Annoying enough to request a fix for.

And I've tried asking about that pop-up window effect, at least 5 times -- never got a response. It is very annoying and I wish it would go away. I listen to stuff over the web as well, and I like WinAMP to "be nice" and stay in the background where it belongs (on the desktop, but viewable).
Old 22nd June 2000, 05:13   #8
blackhawk

Yep, just backed up my version to 2.6 and it works fine.. So something got borked recently.. Oops...
Old 22nd June 2000, 05:16   #9
blackhawk

And in response to Mr. Ice..

Yes I am streaming files via http over a high speed connect (DSL).. Other than the minor problems of the pop-up window and the latest with the playlists, it works great!!
Old 22nd June 2000, 05:38   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

When you say "pop up window", are you referring to the Winamp splash screen ?
If so, there is an option to disable this in "Preferences -> Options -> Show splash screen on start up". Simply uncheck this option !

Or are you referring to the streaming / pre-buffering box ?
I think I read somewhere that there's an option to disable this too [ie. make it work invisibly in the background].
It doesn't really bother me, so I've not looked for that option, but maybe an admin dude would be ever so kind as to post the method below for the benefit of you guys [and anyone else applicable].

Anyway, have you tried out Mr. Ice's suggestion ?
BTW, it's "%8" to show the file path !

Maybe something changed in the default installation set-up, but that doesn't mean that you can't change it back afterwards !

Peace

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-21-2000 at 02:35 AM]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2000, 05:46   #11
blackhawk

I've tried the exact same set of preferences in 2.6 and 2.64 with different results.. It seems like no matter what your settings are it's trying to load the id3 tag. Not sure of that, it's just how it seems to me.

And the pop-up window I'm refering to is the one when winamp starts to stream an mp3 file via http, it displays a window which is titled :

MPEG HTTP/SHOUT cast streaming....

Old 22nd June 2000, 05:47   #12
forrie

We're talking about the actual PLAYLIST that is displayed, not the ID3 tag that displays/scrolls in the player. Ie: you open up mylist.m3u and it should show:
http://www.myplace.com/mp3/somesong.mp3

but now it just displays:

1. somesong

And we'd like to have this fixed.

Please and thank you.
Old 22nd June 2000, 08:13   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Well, I've just opened an m3u playlist of the top 150 drum'n'bass songs on mp3.com . . . and the full path & URL for each entry is displayed in my Playlist Editor . . . however, once each track starts playing, it's like you say . . . the display changes to "title.mp3" [tho' 1 or 2 have got "artist - title.mp3"]. I'm quite baffled by this as well, 'cos I'm pretty certain aswell that this didn't happen pre 2.64 . . . so it looks like I'm joining your club guys !
Yeah, you're right . . . it doesn't matter what you type in the ID3 Format display in the MPEG Input Plug-in config . . . it makes no difference when streaming.
However, if I press "stop" and open the same m3u afresh, the full URL / path is displayed again. [phew !]
Therefore, I suggest you do all your necessary sorting b4 you start playing ! As far as I can tell, none of the data is lost in the m3u, it's just that the PE is displaying the [uneditable while streaming] ID3 Tag instead of a long and unsightly looking URL + Filename.

Maybe it's the %7 option that needs to be used, so as to disable the ID3 Tag ?
Don't know, haven't tried . . . yet ?!?!

BTW, the 2nd track's just started playing and I saw no pop up window . . ie. it is working in the background, behind my browser ! [see my edited first post above for ref]

Wish I could help ya further guys . . . wish I could help myself too !
I have my theories, but I don't want to go in to another full length epic novel . . .
so . . .

Moderators / Admins -> We await your reply !

Laterzzzzzzzzzzz -> Egg.

ps.
< btw, I'm using a 56k v-90 modem connection >

[This message has been edited by DJEgg (edited June 22, 2000).]

[Edited by Jayn on 12-20-2000 at 11:45 AM]
Old 22nd June 2000, 20:50   #14
blackhawk

Well, I'm just gonna run 2.6 until something gets figured out. I load a LARGE playlist which uses the artist and album title in the directory structure and it gets real annoying when it chops everything down to just the filename.. Not that big a deal..

As far as the pop-up window, I get it every time, hmm.. You don't have any more info on the ability to turn that dialog off? I've done a couple of searches in the message board here and found nothing, even posted my own, (which has gotten no responses). Winamp is such a great product, but this dialog box is the thorn in my side, it drives me nuts!!
Old 22nd June 2000, 20:53   #15
forrie

Well, I'm wondering if any of these messages we're posting here actually get READ by the people who are coding this monster. If not, then we're wasting our breath.
Old 22nd June 2000, 21:02   #16
blackhawk

I was just searching through the wishlist list and found a message pertaining to the pop-up window and it appeared that they were discussing a fix for it so that's a good start.. Who knows.. Running 2.60 solves the little playlist problem so I'll be fine with that until a fix is released..
Old 22nd June 2000, 23:34   #17
forrie

FYI, version 2.62 does NOT have the playlist bug. I've downgraded to this version until they decide to fix it in the current release.

Old 23rd June 2000, 04:48   #18
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

forrie: if you're just sending files across a lan, why not just use filesharing rather than running a web server just to stream the files? also, the http streaming buffer box was set to not pop up unless winamp is the active application in version 2.63.

now that i have a clearer picture of the problem, i think i can offer a better explaination of what is going on. when you create a playlist in winamp, it will attempt to display a "pretty name" for the file if it can get one. (from the id3 tag) if it doesn't find an id3 tag, it will simply display the full path. (i haven't had time to test this with streaming files, so let me know if it still does it when the streamed song doesn't have an id3 tag.)
Old 23rd June 2000, 04:53   #19
forrie

I understand what you're saying... but I've not been able to get samba to work through a firewall yet. So, the http version works well for me.

All I can say is what I explained above in that the playlist display changed after 2.62. For what I do, and even if filesharing were being used, I need to have the full path displayed -- that way, the list is sorted accordingly.

Have we identified what, in the WinAMP code, changed that made this buglet appear?

Thanks!
Old 23rd June 2000, 05:40   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

It's not a bug !
I think most people will agree that they prefer seeing the ID3 Tag in the PE Window rather than the filepath + name.

As I said earlier, you can sort the playlist out prior to playing it !

BTW, errrmmm, have you tried disabling the use of the ID3 Tag yet ?

"%7"

Laterzzzzzzz !

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-21-2000 at 02:40 AM]
Old 23rd June 2000, 05:49   #21
blackhawk

I think the 'bug' is the fact that I have read tags on load and on demand turned off.. Therefore I would expect it to NEVER display the ID3 tag.

I agree that most people would prefer to see the 'pretty' name and on a different setup at work I do to.

But the way I've got things organized, the artist and album name are located in the directory structure and not the filename so it's really, really annoying for it to go from :
http://myserver/mp3/Artists/Pearl_Jam/Ten/01-Once.mp3

to

01-Once.mp3

Did this change on purpose?!? If not why is the behaviour different in 2.62??

Just wondering?!?
Old 23rd June 2000, 05:53   #22
blackhawk

Sorry for the multi-posts but...

Mr. Ice: I didn't create this playlist in winamp ( via a script ). And it seems to not matter (when streaming) if the mp3 file has a id3 tag or not..

And BTW, thanks for the HTTP window info!!!
Old 25th June 2000, 10:23   #23
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

hmm. it shouldn't matter how you created the playlist. it has to be the same format no matter what program makes it.

also, i know this is a solution you probably won't like, but why don't you just fill in the id3 tag info? you can see the title and artist, sort on them, and the tags work with any program.
Old 25th June 2000, 19:22   #24
forrie

Modifying the ID3 tag does not modify the behavior of the playlist window. I've tried it. The ID3 tag seems only to modify the display of area where the current song is "scrolled" on the main winamp player window.
Old 25th June 2000, 21:54   #25
blackhawk

My current solution is to use :
%8/%7 as the ID3 v1 title format

It seems to be the closest to the behaviour I had come to expect previously..

BTW, Mr. Ice, setting the ID3 tags won't help because we're streaming these files over http.. Therefore it can't read them..

Old 26th June 2000, 02:48   #26
aaron

if you just want to SORT files by path and name, well goto "misc->sort list->sort list by path and filename" - done!

------------------
aaron
aisotton@inwind.it (no winamp support)
visit my homepage!

[Edited by Jayn on 12-20-2000 at 11:53 AM]
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2000, 06:04   #27
blackhawk

I've got a large playlist >5000 songs and it's annoying not to be able to look at the directory stucture to figure out which artist and album I'm looking at..

I've noticed something else along this same vein.. When loading local mp3 files which have an id3 tag it will display my setting of %8/%7 correctly, but if the song dosen't have a tag it ALWAYS shows %7. This is prolly whats happening to me over http since it can't load any of those id3 tags!!!

I hate to be a nag but this is really, really annoying in my setup!!!

[Edited by Jayn on 12-20-2000 at 11:53 AM]
Old 28th July 2000, 00:13   #28
forrie

Why has this "bug" not been fixed yet? And with the other security bugs that have been found in WinAMP, I would think it's time for a new release....

HELLO DEVELOPERS! :-)

Old 28th July 2000, 00:50   #29
sparky101

Hay guys one mans bug is another man feature

I still remember the controversy when they went from dos 5 to dos 6 and “fixed Bugs”
That other people had found and exploited as a Feature

To each his own
Id says that the only ones that can decide if this is a bug or a feature is the WinAmp software developers
sparky101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2000, 06:53   #30
forrie

Well, I disagree with you here.

The problem originally reported appears to those who utilize streaming media (httpd, in my case) to play MP3's. Previously, the listing would display perfectly with the complete httpd://... path. Now, it forces the organization of the music to be stripped and ordered differently -- which totally skews the httpd listings (which are placed in a certain order for good reasons).

So no, this is a bug. And the CORRECT way to fix this is to make it an OPTION so that people can CHOOSE. Then, everyone is happy.

But, I've not seen any apparent comment from developers on this one, so I guess they just don't care enough to fix it. ?

Old 9th August 2000, 06:55   #31
forrie

I reported the bug directly; who knows if that stuff is actually read.

However, I have a LAN at home -- and recently I fired up samba (100mbit switched net) to see how WinAMP2.64 stood with it. When you scroll through the list (ADD DIR) it attempts to read the ID tag each time, for each level you scroll. God awful slow, perhaps a bit sloppy... a better way to do this might be to scan this all into a local cache before displaying the list.

No word on when a next release of WinAMP will be forthcoming with some of these fixes.
Old 26th August 2000, 03:33   #32
forrie

2.65 is released. The URL display playlist bug is still not fixed. SIGH.

Can someone get me access to the relevant code portion and I'll code in the fix myself!

Old 26th August 2000, 04:09   #33
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Try here:
http://www.winamp.com/nsdn/vault/

Best of luck my friend !
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support