Old 11th June 2009, 23:57   #1
Jedi Gemstone
Major Dudette

Late night meanderings....

Jedi should probably sleep, but staying up thinking philosophical things is way more fun....
So what do you guys think about society??

I have derived that all this stuff i.e school/uni/jobs isn't really what we call 'living' it just exsisting in a system pre ordained for us by society.
Therefore society sucks, because it fills up all the time we could be having fun, with pointless jobs and money.

What do you guys think??

My Website
Deviantartness Yay
This signature was brought to you by the colour Red and the number 14
I'm A Purple Ghetto, So Follow Me To Sanity!! *Runs Off* I Have No Idea Where I'm Going......
Jedi Gemstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 00:06   #2
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

kingo'mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 00:27   #3
Jedi Gemstone
Major Dudette

Hmmm I guess its like Animal Farm really isn't it??

You can turf out what you 'think' is wrong, believing in a better world, as the animals rid of their farmer.
But ultimatley there will always be one pig to ruin it for the others, and in doing so, things will never be better, only the same or worse...

My Website
Deviantartness Yay
I'm A Purple Ghetto, So Follow Me To Sanity!! *Runs Off* I Have No Idea Where I'm Going......
Old 12th June 2009, 10:57   #4
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I think your analysis is pretty accurate! And Jedi, I'd look to the small happy shit that gets ya' through the day.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 12:30   #5
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Re: Late night meanderings....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Gemstone

I have derived that all this stuff i.e school/uni/jobs isn't really what we call 'living' it just exsisting in a system pre ordained for us by society.
Consider the alternative. With no jobs, or schooling, there would be extremely low levels of technology, no doctors, no internet, we'd all have to build our own little huts out of practically nothing.

We'd be like super-radical Amish who refuse to raise each other's barns. Because that would be considered a "job."
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 12:41   #6
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
i stand a holistic point.
society is the external projection of your inner being. society does not exist without you, as well as you don't exist without society.

but you're right: mass media culture is a mess of muted people unwilling to face what's really going on. there's fairly little i can do about it and most time it makes me sad.
When i look around at my peers there's only a very small core who does not wash everything away with tv, alcohol and illegal drugs. i guess it was the same for the last few thousand years, but what's new about it, is the explosive population growth, global warming/pollution/deforestation/desertification/water level sinking/overfishing/mineral exploitation/nuclear waste issues/biohazardry/... and not to forget: terrorists never had it so easy.

well, ... let's quote KOM

but when you look back in history you'll see that there was always a counter movement. It's not all in vain i guess, but it's a rocky way and hard work to do.

Quote:
Sometimes, when I'm not feeling too depressed about the way things are going, I have a little hope that we can evolve and change to make some things better, even if only by small, and almost imperceptible, degrees.
witty remark on that: the most tiny change you can imagine is widely known as the so called quantum jump
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 13:44   #7
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Flexi
i stand a holistic point.
which is another way of saying you dont have a point, aren't holistics all about "there is no spoon" approach?
like... mother nature rulez us all and all that, or am i talking about atheists?

Quote:

society is the external projection of your inner being. society does not exist without you, as well as you don't exist without society.
i agree, but thats just too general of a thing to say, society is what you make of it, it can be a small group of people, or big group.

there are some people who dont belong with society, loners.. hermits... you get the point... does that mean they dont exist? ofcourse not.

Quote:

but you're right: mass media culture is a mess of muted people unwilling to face what's really going on.
media is long known to be twisting the truth to put interest into uninteresting things.. such as goverment issues, to tell you the truth, i dont watch the news or read the newspaper unless i go no.2, and i couldn't care less about some minister who stole money and used it on prostitutes and all that shit, i have my own scoops i'd rather not tell the world.

Quote:

When i look around at my peers there's only a very small core who does not wash everything away with tv, alcohol and illegal drugs. i guess it was the same for the last few thousand years, but what's new about it, is the explosive population growth,[...] and not to forget: terrorists never had it so easy.
your point is? (oh, and terrorists have it easy because they get smarter each and every time and are harder and harder to predict, it's logical.)

here's my witty remark:

instead of going on with evolution since the beginning of time, we seem to get 1 step forward and 10 steps back, people dont seem to learn from their mistakes and we're caught on a ridiculous circle of retardness, look at where's the economy at... global warming ruins fields of food costing us more and more money to cover the losses and moderate consumption, whole markets crashed making currency rates losing you money, we're putting the future of countries by people who really shouldn't be there and are only there because of popularity and not actions.

you tell me this is not fucked up
Old 12th June 2009, 15:00   #8
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Quote:
aren't holistics all about "there is no spoon" approach?
not quite. it's more like "you are the spoon"

Quote:
there are some people who dont belong with society, loners.. hermits... you get the point... does that mean they dont exist? ofcourse not.
nope, they're only indifferent to each other.

it's a pity to hear that you gave up listening to what the world wants to tell you.

...still pointless...
Old 12th June 2009, 18:43   #9
Jedi Gemstone
Major Dudette

Hmmmm yes I suppose we 'need' society to a degree....

But I agree with kingo'mountain, I never watch the news or bother with news papers, if something major and worth hearing is going on, someone will tell me... like swine flu, I heard about that no problem XD

My Website
Deviantartness Yay
Old 12th June 2009, 19:11   #10
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

@kom:
Quote:
uninteresting things.. such as goverment issues
It's lines like this that make me feel sorry. And at the same time it is the best apology for any elitist solution.
But maybe you're right and it is not that every cell of your body is interested in the well-being of your whole body, and in fact you are nothing more but an aggregation of egoistic mini-automata.
Maybe, don't ask me...

any imperialist concepts are cancer to society.
(never mind, there are therapies with designed viruses)
Old 12th June 2009, 21:12   #11
mysterious_w
Forum King

I'm going for my dream job, something that I'll actually enjoy and is as far away from my natural talents as possible. Progress is slow due to my suckiness, but it's better than being stuck in an office.

Also, I see no reason to "settle down" for the saking of settling down ever. If it happens it happens, but I'm never going to seek it.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 02:28   #12
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

sorry? sorry for what? me being shuttered from reality? i'm not shutting myself down from real life, its just that my view of the media is its too obtrusive and always taken out of proportion, yeah... they give coverage to stuff i find boring and uninteresting, i too get what i wanna hear from friends like Jedi and thats it.

elitist? puh-lease, i'm not above anything, i dont mock the media, i just think its pointless sometimes, tv station and news station managers struggle to find good material to satisfy their costumers but its a losing battle thats costing tax payers and service payers money, so i'm more dissapointed than hateful.

jedi, to finally answer your thread, i think society is us, schools.. jobs.. IS living... how do you live without working or learning? you cant.. life has no purpose without a job and a future (take it from me, i'm as low as i could go), you feel empty inside and it can freak you out and even cause you health problems due to depression, so if you get a job, do anything to stick with it, because any job today is priceless
Old 13th June 2009, 05:01   #13
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

Hey kingo, is that really your pic in your avatar?

Last edited by aFfLiCtEd; 13th June 2009 at 05:37.
aFfLiCtEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 09:04   #14
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

you think too jmuch, whatevver. sleep over it
Old 13th June 2009, 11:51   #15
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

people wanted me to laugh at myself, so i did...

you want to see the real me? are you sure
Old 13th June 2009, 13:20   #16
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Yeah, sure! We have a post your picture thread!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 14:16   #17
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

actually, i did post something of me at my cousin's wedding
on the post yer picture thread

(don't go huntin for it, its probably too old it got deleted by now)

yeah, i was mid-puberty, acne, ugliest buzz cut ever... you get the point
Old 13th June 2009, 15:16   #18
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

aaahhhhhh.... magic of eternal attachments (me at 19)
Old 13th June 2009, 16:41   #19
Jedi Gemstone
Major Dudette

So if that was you at 19 how old are you now? O.o
You kinda look like this guy that always comes to the shop I work at (but he has a beard), maybe you have a clone living here in the middle-of-nowhere near me??

As for the society thing hun, the only issue I find (being more awake than I was when I posted) is that when I want to have fun, travel and things, time, money and society things such as school and jobs, pertubs me from doing so. I guess EVERYONE has that same issue though right? General analyses being : its life, deal with it
And also I have a weird thing against society for no real reason other than getting pissed with the media and fashion industry XD

Jedi isn't very fashionable, and is getting increasingly worried about her mental health with this wanting to buy clothes all of a sudden... I think I'll lock myself in a room with an xbox to save myself from all this insanity....

My Website
Deviantartness Yay
Old 15th June 2009, 18:15   #20
Phyltre
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Gemstone
The only issue I find is that when I want to have fun, travel and things, time, money and society things such as school and jobs, perturbs me from doing so.
You want to do things like have fun and travel because things like school and jobs exist and are not particularly fun and happen only in one place. They pay you to be at your job because you wouldn't be there otherwise, ergo, it is not what you would be doing if you didn't need the money, ergo it is not what you find fun or where you would be traveling.

We tend to ignore that we build our own world-view. If we didn't have jobs that got in the way of having fun, there wouldn't be very many fun places and it would be pretty much impossible to get to them without infrastructure like roads, cars, gas stations, electricity, etc...all things that require lots of people with lots of boring jobs to work. And if nobody was working when you got where you were going, what would you eat?
Old 15th June 2009, 18:23   #21
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

jedi...

no offense, but do you always talk about yourself in 3rd person? just noticed that
Old 15th June 2009, 18:51   #22
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

having something to eat is probably the least sorrow to have. everybody needs food, there will be enough people caring for your metabolic perpetuation. probably even more healthy.

"They pay you to be at your job because you wouldn't be there otherwise"
truly, i don't think so.
what do you do for your living? you don't have a job that you like? what would you like to do instead? (come on, kill me now and tell me you would be an ass and contribute nothing )

If we have jobs that get in the way of having fun, then we have a false understanding about how much they are worth and it's a sure sign that people don't get paid fair enough in that field. take detergency, social workers, or carer for the elderly - and dare to ask anyone in that field if they do it for the money.
Old 15th June 2009, 19:38   #23
Phyltre
Forum King

Quote:
"They pay you to be at your job because you wouldn't be there otherwise"
truly, i don't think so.

You're saying if jobs stopped paying people for their time, people would keep showing up?
Old 15th June 2009, 19:42   #24
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

oh no, you got me wrong.
only idealist do their jobs without getting paid at all.
I'm saying it is wrong that you do your job to get paid.
that's a meaningful difference.
Old 15th June 2009, 20:03   #25
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

ok, you're talking about people who love their jobs, which is quite rare today, and still... theres no such thing as "i dont care about money, work keeps me happy"

if thats your perspective then:

a.) you got extreme issues

b.) money is what's keeping us going, money gets you food and a roof to sleep under, supposedly you worked and got no money in return, you'd eventually die or just be homeless.

c.) working without getting any payment of any useful form, is slavery, which is illegal and can send the employer to jail, employers that pay under the minimum are also law breaking and should be sent to jail
Old 15th June 2009, 20:33   #27
Phyltre
Forum King

Quote:
Only idealists do their jobs without getting paid at all.
I'm saying it is wrong that you do your job to get paid.
that's a meaningful difference.
I'd love to hear the meaningful difference there. I'm not sure I'm catching it.
Old 16th June 2009, 02:20   #28
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

No such thing as an idealist in this day. Just people who would like to think they are.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 03:48   #29
rockouthippie
Banned

No.... there are people who say they are... that's a distinct difference....
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 23:22   #30
Jedi Gemstone
Major Dudette

Quote:
Originally posted by kingo'mountain
jedi...

no offense, but do you always talk about yourself in 3rd person? just noticed that
I do occasionally, I'm not crazy or nothing honest...

And Phyltre what you say is a point, I don't think things through very rationally sometimes hehe damn impulses eh ^_^
I guess having jobs gives people ambition (and hopefully lots of moneh!!)

I'm also amazed no one has de railed this post, impressive

My Website
Deviantartness Yay
Old 18th June 2009, 08:30   #31
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

serious post gets a serious answer my dear
Old 18th June 2009, 19:38   #32
Jedi Gemstone
Major Dudette

Yes but I've seen serious threads get the hell de-railed out of them XD

My Website
Deviantartness Yay
Old 19th June 2009, 10:56   #33
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Phyltre
I'd love to hear the meaningful difference there. I'm not sure I'm catching it.
it really is that simple. you cannot reverse an implication.
Quote:
You're saying if jobs stopped paying people for their time, people would keep showing up?
well... yes.
but as for me i wouldn't do gladly - so a wage is still the best sweetener.
all that i ask for is the independence from an income. i would love to do social projects that are not commercially oriented...
Old 19th June 2009, 11:08   #34
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

then let me correct myself....

a serious post created by a girl gets a serious answer... *sigh* so much for a sexist free country
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:47   #35
Jedi Gemstone
Major Dudette

LOL so you're saying if someone like Ryan or yourself posted this, it would of been de railed long ago??
Interesting, I'm amazed people take me seriously, in real life not many people do =(

My Website
Deviantartness Yay
Old 24th June 2009, 00:11   #36
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

depends how much people hate you

therefore ryan got a 25% chance of derailing while i got 75%, heh... thats how the world seems to work
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions