Old 15th August 2010, 16:55   #1
TheUniqueTiger

ID3v2 Album Artist woes

Hello,

I came across this issue today as I analyzed the tags of several MP3 files.

1. If I tag any MP3 file with "Album artist" field in the "Edit metadata for selected files" dialog, it assigns it to BAND tag in ID3v2. Winamp reads and writes this info, so one sees no problem if one uses only Winamp.

2. Other MP3 players don't recognize this BAND tag to be Album artist. They read "Album Artist" from the ALBUM ARTIST tag which seems to be logical.

3. If other taggers/MP3 players tag the MP3 file correctly with ID3v2 ALBUM ARTIST tag, Winamp does not read this tag. Winamp does in fact show the correct album artist from this tag in the ID3v2 tab of File Info, but the Basic data tab shows blank field.

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
My personal website, HiFiBB ... Simply Hifi!, HiFiBB
TheUniqueTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 18:46   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
if you look at the id3 spec:

TPE1 = Artist
TPE2 = Band

there is no specific frame for albumartist by spec.

however:

for years now, all the major apps, like winamp, itunes, wmp, etc... have "hijacked" TPE2 to mean AlbumArtist instead of Band.

this isn't likely to change anytime soon.

so what app are you using that doesn't do this? i would suggest asking them to add a toggle to the app for how to handle TPE2. also you could add a TXXX custom albumartist frame if the app supported it.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 20:06   #3
TheUniqueTiger

Foobar2000. Thanks for the ID3 spec, I didn't know. Besides why does the Basic data tab not show it if Album Artist (Band or whatever) is shown in ID3v2 tab?

Offtopic: I'm not interested in Foobar at all. I've been with Winamp for the last 10 yrs. Someone sent me a file which was tagged in Foobar and created confusion for me.

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
Old 16th August 2010, 17:24   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

more info:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81234

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUniqueTiger View Post
Besides why does the Basic data tab not show it if Album Artist (Band or whatever) is shown in ID3v2 tab?
not sure what you mean? how do you get to the two places you are talking about?

--
Old 16th August 2010, 17:59   #5
TheUniqueTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
more info:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81234
not sure what you mean? how do you get to the two places you are talking about?
Its not about Foobar, its about Winamp.

1. File Info dialog has 4 tabs - Basic info, Artwork, ID3v1, ID3v2.
2. The basic info tab shows Album Artist field ONLY if BAND tag exists.
3. The ID3v2 tab shows Album Artist field if EITHER BAND or ALBUM ARTIST tag exists.

So you can make out that if a file has ALBUM ARTIST tag and no BAND tag, it would only show up in ID3v2 and not in Basic info tab. Thats what happened to me with that particular file. So I was just trying to convey to developers about the confusion as tags need to be shown uniformly in ID3v2 and Basic info tabs.

Old 16th August 2010, 18:59   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Its not about Foobar, its about Winamp.
i understood that.

Quote:
1. File Info dialog has 4 tabs - Basic info, Artwork, ID3v1, ID3v2.
i'm with you so far...

Quote:
2. The basic info tab shows Album Artist field ONLY if BAND tag exists.
i start to lose you here. first, are you talking about the frame?

winamp always calls the id3 TPE2 band frame "album artist"

and i always see that field in the dialog box. it can be blank, but its always there. (it's blank if TPE2 is blank, which makes sense to me, but the field is always there)

if you are saying the field itself is not there, can you upload an example file that causes this?

Quote:
3. The ID3v2 tab shows Album Artist field if EITHER BAND or ALBUM ARTIST tag exists.
i always see that field on that tab as well.

but i don't think winamp recognizes " TXXX ALBUM ARTIST " frames, does it? it just does TPE2 as albumartist.

winamp, as far as i know, has no "band" concept.

Quote:
So you can make out that if a file has ALBUM ARTIST tag and no BAND tag, it would only show up in ID3v2 and not in Basic info tab. Thats what happened to me with that particular file. So I was just trying to convey to developers about the confusion as tags need to be shown uniformly in ID3v2 and Basic info tabs.
i have never seen this happen. i mean, i would be shocked to find out that winamp would recognize a TXXX ALBUM ARTIST frame in the id3v2 tab.

if things truly are as you state, i agree that winamp should address it somehow.

--
Old 17th August 2010, 14:39   #7
shakamedia

On my Shajkamedia Radio - Japanese Hip Hop Station my song titles and artist names don't appear. I've checked my file info settings for metadata tags and its the same as all my other stations. In my winamp player in the file info box the titles show up but the metadata tags don't appear. The only difference is I'm running WinXP on the other stations and Win7 on the Japanese station. When I first put the station up the titles appeared with the Japanese characters but for about 3 weeks they don't come out. Does anyone have some advice on this issue?
shakamedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 17:10   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakamedia View Post
On my Shajkamedia Radio - Japanese Hip Hop Station my song titles and artist names don't appear. I've checked my file info settings for metadata tags and its the same as all my other stations. In my winamp player in the file info box the titles show up but the metadata tags don't appear. The only difference is I'm running WinXP on the other stations and Win7 on the Japanese station. When I first put the station up the titles appeared with the Japanese characters but for about 3 weeks they don't come out. Does anyone have some advice on this issue?
your post does not belong in this thread or forum. post in shoutcast forum or winamp tech support forum.

--
Old 17th August 2010, 17:33   #9
TheUniqueTiger

@ MrSinatra,
Yes, I guess I meant frames or tags, and yes they are shown blank... I hope you got it.
Foobar lists unknown tags as raw tags like <TAGNAME>, much more useful for verification. It doesn't show any <TPE2> tag but shows <BAND> instead for files tagged in Winamp. This is not recognized in Foobar, which doesn't bother me.
For files tagged in Foobar it results in <ALBUM ARTIST> tag and not TPE2/BAND tag. This is shown correctly in ID3v2 tab - Album Artist. However Basic info tab shows blank Album Artist field.
I have made a workaround in my Foobar installation by setting the album artist tag to read/write BAND tag, and now it works just as Winamp. Files are now read correctly across both these programs.

Still my question remains why ID3v2 tab shows it correctly and the same shown blank in Basic Info tab *ONLY* for such files with <ALBUM ARTIST> tag... I hope this gets fixed.

You may download foobar and try the same with any mp3 file.

Old 2nd June 2011, 07:49   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

http://www.foobar2000.org/changelog

so now the last holdout i knew of, is no more. fb2k greater than 1.1.6 maps AA to TPE2 by default.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion