Old 13th December 2012, 16:52   #1
mookee

continuous balance fadeing??!

hi

my winamp only lets me fade the balance in steps. the first step is allways 24%. from there on the steps become smaller but never stepless.

thats inacceptable for my needs, please help!)

best wishes and thanks

christoph
mookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 17:06   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
post your one for nunz list.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 17:13   #3
DrO

would make more sense in knowing in what 'part' of Winamp this is being done / initiated from.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 17:19   #4
mookee

5.63 !?

nunz list? i dont get it..

lg c
Old 14th December 2012, 12:43   #5
mookee

or do you mean where i set the balance? in the main window...

lg christoph
Old 14th December 2012, 13:40   #6
DrO

none of what you've said makes sense, so is no wonder no one knows what you mean. hence asking for specific details.

-daz
Old 16th December 2012, 18:50   #7
mookee

whats the problem? i have winamp 5.63, the balancing fader is where it allways was and further details i cant see in connection to my problem. what do you wanne know ?
Old 16th December 2012, 21:52   #8
DrO

ok (between sleep and not looking at the confusing english for a few days), i have to assume you're using a classic skin? if so then there's no way to get the finer steps with how the UI natively works. even under modern skins it depends on what the skin author has decided to do.

the only compromise i can think off is to do it so holding control or shift when dragging would prevent the 'locking' which is done so it'll move like it does when outside of the main area. or the limits are changed as Bento and Winamp Modern seem to lock at around 14% and 12% respectively (changing them i'm not sure about).

will have to see what's thought internally about changing something which has been like it for well over a decade.

-daz
Old 18th December 2012, 11:40   #9
mookee

yeah, sorry for my strange english.. am workig on that..

you are right, we are talking about the classic skin (what else ..... nevermind)

äähm, am not sure if we are talking about the same thing! the skin docking behaviour isnt what i ment. i am talking about the balancer fading behaviour (left -balanced- right) and its uncontinuous fading steps between L and R. but i will try your suggestions anyway

lg christoph
Old 18th December 2012, 12:08   #10
mookee

unfortunatly neither control nor shift did the trick..
Old 18th December 2012, 12:39   #11
DrO

i never said holding control or shift would work. i was proposing it as a possible solution unless the clamping is lowered (as i also mentioned as a possibility).

-daz
Old 18th December 2012, 12:46   #12
mookee

get what u mean..
Old 18th December 2012, 12:50   #13
DrO

however, it will never be 'continuous' or 'smooth' since the sizing of the balance control on classic skins does not allow for a 1:1 mapping of the values used. so even if the clamping is disabled / reduced, it would always change by a few percent when moved.

-daz
Old 18th December 2012, 17:48   #14
mookee

well.. but thats not the main problem of course.
still: why isn't it smooth; what causes it; is there a plug-in or shall we have to reinvent the wheel...?

any infos from the programmers here?

please help

thanks and
lg christoph
Old 18th December 2012, 17:53   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi mookee,

DrO is a Winamp developer. He has told you the state of things.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 17:56   #16
mookee

one way seem to be to go to the bent skin. there the first step is big 12% (better than 24%) and after that you can fade smooth. i dont know if the fader keeps in position after switching back to classic skin and can't figure out a way to test it. but well, if it does, its ok i guess..

strange behaviour in classic skin anyway
Old 18th December 2012, 17:57   #17
mookee

at aminifu: ohh
Old 18th December 2012, 18:07   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

The balance setting is saved in the Winamp configuration file, so it should be maintained when you switch skins.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 18th December 2012, 18:10   #19
mookee

cool

danke

V
Old 18th December 2012, 18:23   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King

can u use the ini to set a number manually that you can't get on the slider?

my guess is that the reason it is the way it is, is b/c the slider itself isn't big enough to do 50 point gradients in either direction.

--
Old 18th December 2012, 18:37   #21
DrO

there's an API which has been around since the 2.0 release which allows for doing single-step balance changes from -127-0-127 (0-255 on 2.x versions).

mookee: i've already said why it isn't doing it at a very fine level because the % is based on the length of the classic balance bar and it doesn't match 1:1 with the range and what's shown, hence it's usually 3-4% per increment.

-daz
Old 18th December 2012, 18:57   #22
mookee

get the bigger steps as the fader bar aint long enough, but the big 24% step at the beginning.. its too big
Old 18th December 2012, 19:01   #23
mookee

in my eyes (ears)..
Old 18th December 2012, 19:49   #24
MrSinatra
Forum King

in bento, its 12%

--
Old 21st December 2012, 09:43   #25
mookee

yeah
Old 22nd December 2012, 14:07   #26
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi mookee,

It is unfortunate that Winamp does not provide 'hotkeys' for controlling balance (and the equalizer frequency bands). There is no way to fine tune with a mouse and the graphic controls provided. Manually editing the configuration file every time you want/need an adjustment is not an acceptable option, imo.

Seems like someone would have provided a plug-in for fine tuning, but I can not find one. I did find one (link below) that says it is a ITU BS.1770 loudness-based automatic L/R level balancer that will automatically eliminate L/R channel balance errors. It has adjustable speed and adjustment range options.

http://www.claessonedwards.com/index...=article&id=80

It is implemented as a DSP plug-in. I already use a DSP plug-in, so I can't use it, unless it will work with a DSP stacker (and the use of stackers are now discouraged).

I don't know what your goal is. Maybe you want to make adjustments that would not be considered a balance error or would be an intentional balance error in order to get the sound you want.

I currently do balancing with a 3rd party output plug-in that also up-mixes stereo to 6 channels to support my 5.1 speaker system. It lets me set the base volume level for each channel, then I can use the Winamp volume control or my sound card's volume control for the overall volume level.

If you decide to try this automatic balancer, please post back and let us know what you think of it.

Old 28th December 2012, 21:44   #27
DrO

Important Note: this only relates to the classic skins, NOT Bento, Winamp Modern, etc.

i've made a patch which will drop the main window panning control work from +/- 16% and holding the shift key will allow it to work at +/- 7%. the shift override is not the default as allowing +/- 7% in normal operation prevents being able to center at 0% / centered easily.

additionally, i've dropped the threshold on the EQ windowshade so it starts at +/- 9% instead of +/- 18% it was doing. it also has the same 'shift' override so you can get it down to +/- 4%. also as part of the patch, it fixes the EQ windowshade mode to change left and right to the same amount instead of a difference of a few percent (as can be seen by trying it out).

and to pre-empt the but why is the EQ windowshade mode able to do finer by default??? question. simple answer is because it's a wider bar and so there are more steps available (just like with the modern skins). as the EQ windowshade is 42 pixels vs the main window which is 24 pixels, so as you can see why there is a noticeable difference in values.

as for the modern skins, i don't intend on making any alterations to them (especially with the 'shift' override as i've a feeling that's going to require more coding than i want or have the time to really commit to).

-daz
Old 28th December 2012, 22:26   #28
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
Important Note: this only relates to the classic skins, NOT Bento, Winamp Modern, etc.
Thank you for volunteering time to improve these features.

I assume changes made using a classic skin will be maintained when switching to a modern or cPro skin, as long as the applicable controls are not touched.

Is the patch available now or will it be included in the next Winamp release?

Old 28th December 2012, 22:53   #29
DrO

flipping between classic and modern and vice-versa should work like it has always done with them matching with what is set between one and the other (it's just a visual difference between the skins as they all work on the same internal value when getting / setting the balance, just like with the volume level and a load of other things).

it won't be available until whenever there's a newer Winamp release (since it's code changes in winamp.exe).

-daz
Old 30th December 2012, 16:53   #30
MrSinatra
Forum King

i think this is a nice change, but i'm just curious... why can't all the skins do 5% steps in either direction? i understand that the actual slider isn't big enough to do 1% steps either way, but why not 5%? is it too small for that also? the percetages just seem odd.

also, why does the skin control this? it seems more like a function of slider size. i think it would be cool to add a tab to bento that had a "big" EQ on it, so you could really fine tune such things, like balance to say 57.43%, etc... i know thats extreme, but some folks are into that. it would also be cool to have a big EQ with more bands and more control over it, and/or just simple "tone" controls, like bass, middle, treble, etc... also a bass boost button.

just thinking out loud here, not really expecting any of this, but i am curious as to the weird way in which balance controls work.

--
Old 30th December 2012, 17:44   #31
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i think this is a nice change, but i'm just curious... why can't all the skins do 5% steps in either direction? i understand that the actual slider isn't big enough to do 1% steps either way, but why not 5%? is it too small for that also? the percetages just seem odd.
because classic skins are a fixed width, there's nothing that can be done to change that scale as there's no way to get a finer level of resolution without impacting on the area of the volume slider or the eq / pledit toggle buttons. so in the main window it'll always be mapping the balance scale to 24 or 42 pixels depending on which version is used and -127 to 127 (or 0-255 depending on the Winamp version) can only be mapped a certain way and that leaves some rounding of values so it'll vary on each step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
also, why does the skin control this? it seems more like a function of slider size. i think it would be cool to add a tab to bento that had a "big" EQ on it, so you could really fine tune such things, like balance to say 57.43%, etc... i know thats extreme, but some folks are into that.
because it's down to what the skin decides will be the length of the slider and thus how that then is mapped to the range (as mentioned in the first part of the reply). yes a modern skin or even a plug-in could provide a 1:1 ratio with the range that Winamp has always used and a UI element.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support