Old 19th February 2003, 10:03   #1
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

The high points and the low points.

Haven't done one of these for a while, and most of the people who replied to the last thread like this have vanished in a puff of smoke, basically, what have been the high spots, and low spots of your skinning carrear to date, I've just been looking over some of my back catalogue lately, backing it up to disc and so on, and it got me thinking about some of the good times, and some of the bad times, so hear in no particular order are my high/low points

Good thing :- Recieving my first fan letter, telling me my skin was "tight" and "are you the same **** ****** I used to go to school with?"
Bad thing :- Recieving my first hate mail, same skin, but "why did you make a skin of that ugly skank, it sucks!"

Good thing :- Seeing Halo3 get featured skin status and the downloads spiral out of control.
Bad thing :- Watching Halo3 shift half a million units in about 2 months and sprint ahead of my up to then most downloaded skin Crayolamp which had taken nearly 2 years to reach the same figure.

Good thing :- Watching the EQ-less version of LFB be lapped up by the masses.
Bad thing :- Watching the Full EQ version , which in my opinion was way better, limp home like a lame horse
Badder thing :- Watching the stripped back version "Red thing", which was better than both, barely make it to a 3 figure download count

Good thing :- Finding out Freelove was to be a featured skin at WA.com, my first !
Bad thing :- Finding out 12 months afterwards that it never got put on the front page due to a server fuck up :-/

Good thing :- Getting offered $£$£$£$ to make a skin !
Bad thing :- Realising that the pot of gold is often a pot of shit

Good thing :- SKin lovin Xmas 1, a great time had collabing and sticking the skin together, a true work of the masses
Bad thing :- Easter eggstacy collab, a great skin, but the mud slinging and subsequent recriminations just left a bad "don't wanna collab again" taste in my mouth

Good thing :- Discovering MikroAMP and going nuts making skins for it.
Bad thing :- Discovering I'd been skinning it to work around one of it's bugs, thus most of my skins were fuxored when that bug was ironed out.

Those are just a few of the highlights and lowlights to date, anyone else got any they want to share.....?
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 10:41   #2
skinme!
Forum King

High point - Connect-X. It got like 60,000 downloads! Wow!

Low point - skinme orange, Liquescent Player series. Were absolute sheet!!

High point - LINEAR. Well I like it. Shove that in your bum and smoke it.

Low point - IRONCORE. Well I liked it. Now I hate it. Funny how things change. The public agree with the latter.

Quote:
ironcore's page @ classic.winamp.com
Skin By: skinme! (wa2skinner)

Author's Comment:
skinme!'s IRONCORE for Winamp2:
Staff's Comment:
Approved.
Winamp User's Comment:
Can you believe no one has said anything yet? Quick, say something before someone else gets to it first!
Number of Downloads:
250 so far
Quick! QUICK! Haha. (you can be the first. you can do it!)

Low point - realised I'm bored of skinning.

High point - realised this left me plenty of time to learn PHP and hang in #skinlove abusing bh

High point - just had an idea for a skin. Dunno if I'll make it tho

Sure, there are prolly a few more like collabs amd ppl leaving. I'll post any others later maybe. (so I can steal them from others )

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 11:10   #3
PeaceMaker
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to PeaceMaker
highpoint: made some skins that i still like today.

lowpoint: these skins have become all to common in the winamp world, so they fall apart quite fast.

highpoint: have some nice designs for winamp 3 on paper

lowpoint: couldn't be bothered coding them or bringing them to life - yet.

highpoint: got to collab on a few skins.

lowpoint: these skins slopped fast.

highpoint: asked to join breed.
PeaceMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 12:13   #4
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Highpoint: Submitting first skin, Luxor, on old black and red winamp site
Lowpoint: Never seeing it actually published. (Which in hindsight might have been a good thing- it was basically the base skin colored brown with Hieroglpyhs on it...)

Highpoint: Submitting first "real" skin, Luxor and seeing it published
Lowpoint: It accrued downloads painfully slow
BUT, highpoint: It caused me to make my first post here, announcing its publishing
BUT then a lowpoint: the post was completely ignored by everyone (replies later came when someone ressurected it)

Highpoint: Submitting "Edo"
Lowpoint: It got fewer downloads than luxor
Very highpoint: Winning the Nullsoft Ninja Contest with Edo-Shikaku, a modification of Edo. Getting it featured and linked in a headline got it the most d/l's of any of my skins
Lowpoint: Being sent angry e-mails telling me that I was an unethical person for blatantly ripping "Edo".

Highpoint: Being interviewed about skinning in the first edition of "Teknidermy", the skinner's quarterly.
Highpoint: Winning the contest for their first cover design, beating out several (better) entries.
Lowpoint: They used my screenname off of the long defunct skins.org, "Commodore Perry" and I could never get them to change it.
Lowpoint: Getting angry e-mails telling me that I have ripped Commodore Perry's Skins.

Highpoint: Publishing Versailles, my last, most detailed w2 skin.
Highpoint: Getting my first and only 'Daily Deviation'
Lowpoint: Mr. Bojangles (Do any of you remember that little shit?) posting abusive comments about it on the dev-art site that I had to get removed.

Highpoint: Publishing the first W3 skin that allowed users to change the backdrop, Media Whore, with the coding genius of Mr. Jones.
Lowpoint: Deluges of E-mails from idiots not understanding how to work it.

and so it continues..........................

Now is the time for all good Americans to come to the aid of their Country
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 12:35   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

'Nother high point, getting an email from some irate woman claiming that my skin "The End...?" really did cause the end of her PC, apparently she downloaded the skin and "apparently" it had a virus in it that caused her CD drawer to wedge itself shut with a CD in it , when she forced the CD out with the aid of a paperclip she got a BSOD followed by more screw ups on her pc, and it was all my fault for creating this , and I quote..."apocalyptic skin"

Low point, realising she was serious, idiots
Old 19th February 2003, 12:42   #6
skinme!
Forum King

Xerx - nice sig! I think we can all relate to some of those highs and lows.

Old 19th February 2003, 14:32   #7
DragonsKindler

well i don't have many but my life-spad here has been a short one so far but this is what i have

^point uploading my first skin called inferno to the WinAmpDB low part skin traffic clogged w/ skinner.exe's

i think i got 2 stars for that one

^point updating it to ver 2 that got me alot of DL's i got only 50-100 before that now at 4,600+ and is now dead but it got me 4 stars my best skin yet

^point got Brian Kissinger from www.visualparadox.com to let me use his work for "Why Death" low part it was a quick skinner.exe edited
my only one

low point still didn't know how to crop all the componits<sp> yey so i still used a skinner.exe to cut them all up for me

high point made Vortex my first with trasparincies
low point it didn't do well with all the love w/ 3d skins it was flat and ugly compared

high point Forever got me to start using psp i fell in love
low point lost interest with all the BS going on in my life

hight point i'm back
low trying to get back in the swing of things
DragonsKindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 14:54   #8
Krynis
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Krynis Send a message via AIM to Krynis Send a message via Yahoo to Krynis
High Point > finding out i could actually make a skin with the skinners atlas
Low Point > realizing my skins still suck
Krynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 16:10   #9
marc falk

Send a message via ICQ to marc falk
high: product of desire v3 got featured skin in... um... *thinks* um.. it must have been april 2000 or something.

low: have i been skinning that long?! i seem to have precious little to show for someone who's been skinning for three years. i suppose taking an inadvertant sabbatical/job for a year doesn't count.

high: fanmail

high: paralell futures got featured w00t! w00t!

low: i've had a skin in the pipeline since february 2002. i haven't really touched photoeditor since august 2002, and even then it was going incredibly incredibly slowly [i haven't even finished the main/eq yet]. this looks to be becoming the most delayed skin ever.

high: i have a lovely shiny copy of ps7 on the computer at home... i might install that sometime.

fsnl
sparky

marc falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 17:46   #10
StillWater
Forum King

LOW: When skin after skin received low downloads, and I realised that my skins probably always would.

HIGH: When I finally learned to not care about how many downloads my skins received. I always try to not give a crap about what the masses think, but I was surprised at how long it took me to completely put this into practice where skins were concerned. When I did, skinning became much more enjoyable.

HIGH: The masses never like my skins, but the individuals who did, including those here, and gave positive feedback always made skinning more rewarding and much more pleasurable.

HIGH: Recieving an official 1001 mouse pad with "Winner of the 1K1WS Winamp Skin Competition: ¤db¤" written on it. It's just a mouse pad, but it will remain a great little memento to remind me of my skinning days (especially since I will always associate skinning with 1001, because I like the site so much)

LOW/HIGH: the reaction to "Windowlicker" shocked me - I'd never realised just how many immature idiots there were around. But after the initial shock, it gave me a laugh.

HIGH: "Zima". The first of my skins that is - according to my tastes, of course - one of the best skins around. It gave me a lot of satisfaction to make it.

LOW: Realising that there are so many skins I'd like to do, but I'll never do half of them, because skins take so damn long to make.

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 18:08   #11
raydream
Banned

i feel returning from nowhere in particular to participate in one of the few decent threads, is justified in this case.

Highs
Slowly progressing my skills with the then "Skinlove" forum..
Developing fe3O3..
Being payed compliments by other skinners whome i considered gods., Raj I/O, Jax, etc..
Enjoying a good 15 months before the forum went to hell..

lows
watching the comminuty spirit perish in a sea of idiots attracted to the shiny threequal,` Wa3 flooded the place..
constant emails requesting skin changes, specific skins, customized skins, etc, fan mail schmam mail, i hate it all..
realising in my attempts to resist the flow of assholes to the forum, i had become one myself..

Final high?
quitting skinning and leaving this place, life's alot more fun now..
raydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 18:49   #12
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by raydream
the forum went to hell..
I disagree. I've enjoyed the company of quite a number of very intelligent, interesting, creative, and pleasant people here. The presence of one arrogant, loud-mouthed Pole can't spoil all that

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Old 19th February 2003, 19:36   #13
FooMonkey
Listens to Chicago!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to FooMonkey Send a message via AIM to FooMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to FooMonkey
low point: no one likes any of my skins

high point: I do, so sucks to everyone else

[website](foomonkey)|(Winamp|DevArt)[skins]
I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
Jellby's Skiners' Atlas
FooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 19:36   #14
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Highs:

Improving my gfx skills.
Finishing 9 winamp2 skins within a year or so.
Getting DD for after midnight.
3 featured skins at winamp.com.
Still skinning for myself and still having fun doing it.
Learning XML and getting closer to completing a winamp3 skin.
Moving away from the dark and grungy style.
Being asked to be a reviewer.

Lows:

Finishing 9 out of 50+ wa2 skins.
9 wa3 attempts scrapped.
Klez
Moving away from the dark and grungy style.
Nostromo.
Seeing the wars of the egos in the wa3 skinning forum as well as here occasionally.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 21:23   #15
skinme!
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ¤db¤
I disagree. I've enjoyed the company of quite a number of very intelligent, interesting, creative, and pleasant people here. The presence of one arrogant, loud-mouthed Pole can't spoil all that
I wasn't aware poles could speak. Can lampposts?

Old 19th February 2003, 21:25   #16
skinme!
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
Klez
My hotmail inbox still gets three or so a day

Old 19th February 2003, 21:59   #17
Jellby
Major Dude

HIGH: My first skin was said to be good.
LOW: It was never featured

HIGH: Getting a DD with the first skin I published at deviantart (the improved version of Golden Ring).
LOW: Lots of morons said it didn't deserve it, I guess it was not dark enough (but it was metal ).

HIGH: Receiving explicit permission from the European Central Bank to publish The Colour of Money.
LOW: It was not as good as I wanted it to be.

HIGH: Making my other two skins was very funny and I like them a lot!
LOW: Meeting CeO

HIGH: The acceptance of Skinner's Atlas, lots of 5-star reviews and it's in the first page of the computer/OS section.
LOW: None about this one

HIGH: Many interesting/crazy people here.
LOW: People leaving.

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Then be not so quick to deal out death in judgement.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 22:23   #18
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jellby

LOW: Meeting CeO

What , litterally?

I hope you punched the little twat right on the nose if you did...
Old 19th February 2003, 22:39   #19
marc falk

Send a message via ICQ to marc falk
Quote:
HIGH: "Zima". The first of my skins that is - according to my tastes, of course - one of the best skins around. It gave me a lot of satisfaction to make it.
my skin of the moment right now. and has been for5 the last couple of weeks

8)

fsnl
sparky

and my delete keys seems to have stopped workiing.

WTF?!

bollocks.

marc falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 23:49   #20
dimichan
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dimichan
High - breaking out first skinner skin into it's component parts and realizing it could be customized
Low - realizing I had MUCH more to learn

High - finding this forum and creating first skin just from skinners atlas and template amp
Low - realizing I still had a LOOOONG way to go

High - slowly developing graphics skills
Low - realizing downloads/tastes are independent of amount of work invested

High - Cemetary Gates staying on the popular/high rated list at 1001 when I didn't expect it to get there, Orblivious being rated at 5 stars
Low - succeeding skins being rated lower, having about 5 incomplete WA2 and 5 WA3 skins which may or may not ever be completed.

High - having some skins I'm reasonably pleased with months later, as opposed to the "EWWW" of the early ones
dimichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 23:53   #21
kingstar

Send a message via AIM to kingstar Send a message via Yahoo to kingstar
Faint Winter
Highs: got 1800+ downloads and stayed in the " top recent skins" catogery for 2 weeks
Lows: people accusing me of posting crappy skin and that the skin is too bright, they need sunglasses to view it

WinterMountains
Highs: Alot better than my previous skin and i took advantage of many skinning techniques i didnt use before
Lows: under-rated and never heard of

Soft Yellow:
( Pending, waiting for it to get published)
kingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 00:10   #22
Cleanup
The WWYD Jerk
(Forum King)

High: discovering Winamp. Joy!
Low: not knowing how to skin it.

High: learning how to skin Winamp. Joy!
Low: first skin, never published, was a big white colour mod of the base skin called "New Maroon."

High: learning how to skin properly.
Low: having skins basically ignored.

High: mspaint skills grow.
Low: people don't understand what it's like.

High: bevels and trend come to life in skins.
Low: people don't like them. I like them. I don't like you.

High: Cardiaque finished/published.
Low: people bitching about it because it looks like DeviantAMP.
Low #2: lack of creativity and ideas leads to some more waiting for another skin to spark up.

High: invited into artgroup. woot.
Low: haven't heard from them since.
Low #2: don't know what to expect.
Cleanup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 00:53   #23
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Re: The high points and the low points.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Good thing :- Recieving my first fan letter, telling me my skin was "tight" and "are you the same **** ****** I used to go to school with?"
When did your name become privleged information?

High point: 2nd place in winter contest, getting my own MikroAMP installer, Redefine

Low point: Seeing so many good people leave...
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 01:11   #24
Saotome 2.0

Send a message via AIM to Saotome 2.0
I don't have any published skins, and with the constant database fuckup, I probably never will. But here are a few highs and lows:

High: Finishing my first Winamp skin, Winamp red, and getting a few supportive comments.
Low: Being told it was a piece of crap.

High: Being well known in Skin Love, if not in the other forums.
Low: Having the people who don't know me think I'm stupid and don't know what I'm talking about. (Are you listening, RFF?)

High: Updating Lightning-AMP and realizing that I can go further with GIMP than I ever could with MS Paint.
Low: Knowing that I don't have what it takes to be a great skinner yet. Still waiting for the knowledge to guide me.

OLD SCHOOL!
My Home Page
Saotome 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 04:31   #25
Galtran

Send a message via ICQ to Galtran Send a message via AIM to Galtran Send a message via Yahoo to Galtran
Good thing: A post of a person saying about have a ORGASM with our skin.
Bad thing: Anyone saying: (later u lose days and days working hard on a skin) OMG! these new sofware skin maker are so evolved lately!
Galtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 06:04   #26
StillWater
Forum King

I apologise for the off-topicness, but I can't read this and not comment:
Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
Except for Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism, War Has Never Solved Anything.
Xerxes, Communism wasn't ended by any war. Its end came from within, from Gorbachev and from the "Velvet Revolutions" of Central Europe, so called because they were peaceful. And Fascism was in some countries ended by the war that the Fascists themselves started (so all the war "solved" was the problem it itself created), and in the remaining countries was forcefully replaced by Communism - as a direct result of that war. So your statement is not exactly on the money. And the implied comparison between such 'noble' wars and this impending one, well, not even Bush is trying exceptionally hard to pretend that this one is about anything other than money.

Old 20th February 2003, 09:55   #27
Jellby
Major Dude

If anyone is going to reply to ¤db¤, please do it in a new thread, I don't want this one to be closed

[bringing it back on-topic]: No, M.J. not literally, of course, I don't have such a bad luck (not to say I don't have a real life to meet people in )

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Then be not so quick to deal out death in judgement.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 16:06   #28
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by skinme!
I wasn't aware poles could speak. Can lampposts?
[fanfare, baloons]Congratulations! You are the 1,000,000th person to come up with that line!![/fanfare, baloons]

Old 20th February 2003, 17:26   #29
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Send a message via ICQ to Doggy Dog
High point: Publishing my 4th pack
Low point: Not making a single good preset in a while.

High point: Being made an avs reviewer.
Low point: There's only 2-3 of us.

High point: Being made a skins reviewer and the only person who's a avs/skins reviewer.
Low point: None

PS. I completely agree with db on that about communism.
Doggy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 21:21   #30
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:
I apologise for the off-topicness, but I can't read this and not comment:
I won't start a long rebuttal because skin-love isn't the place for disputes, but I will tersely say that I half-agree with your wars stopping communism point. (I do believe wars/threat of force contained the spread of communism, which hastened its destruction) And that I highly disagree with the rest of your response.

Cleanup also said
Quote:
Xerx - nice sig!
Its nice to know not all arteests are part of the pink brigade.

DB- feel free to continue our tete-a-tete with PM's. I'm game. >:-)

Old 21st February 2003, 00:10   #31
skinme!
Forum King

Quote:
Cleanup also said

Its nice to know not all arteests are part of the pink brigade.
(was actually me). Personally, I want to see Hussein removed. He's a threat. "I don't want [my children] to grow up in a world...", etc. Yeah, there'll always be a new threat but not dealing with threats is no way to solve them -- it meerly exacerbates. I think Blair and the current government has made it very hard for itself to gain public opinion (what with their ever present warnings of disregarding silly vetos and such) but I still believe we are at a stage where war is the only thing which will solve this.

db - about my lamppost crack... sorry, I really wanted to know whether lampposts can speak.. after all I'm a lamp post in a cage myself.

Sorry. [for the off-topicness]

Old 25th February 2003, 20:01   #32
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
DB- feel free to continue our tete-a-tete with PM's. I'm game. >:-)
Your PM box is full

Old 25th February 2003, 20:15   #33

Send a message via AIM to 667
Back on-topic:

High Point: signing up for my new nick and watching some people stumble over who the hell I was.

Low Point: Realizing I forgot how to spell "balloon" for 15 minutes.

High point: Bringing back an old skin.
Low point: I'm so tripped out on Mountain Dew that people are going to have to pull me off the ceiling.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2003, 02:08   #34
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:
Your PM box is full
Situation remedied...
Old 26th February 2003, 17:43   #35
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Situation remedied...
not quite.

Old 26th February 2003, 18:21   #36
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Old 26th February 2003, 18:52   #37
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:
not quite.
Wouldn't you know it, I got sent a smattering of PM's last night (Tech support questions... why!) If you still have part 2-3 go ahead and send now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
That box is full too- of Klez.

Old 26th February 2003, 21:53   #38
dimichan
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dimichan
High point: finishing up what I think is some of my best work graphically speaking to date
Low point: realizing some of my much less complex work is far more popular

High point: the constructive criticism from the people here that got me this far, as well as the encouragement
who knows point: realizing I want to try (again -_-;; to convert a WA2 wkin to WA3, hoping I don't get discouraged before finishing this one...
dimichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins