Old 18th November 2004, 15:28   #1
Lapikas
Major Dude

Removing unused dlls?

Is there any way to remove redundant dlls from my WinXp system folders safely? I know there's dozens of programs to do it (like analogx DLLarchive) but I haven't had courage to try any of them. I don't want to b0rk my installation. Is there any really good program to do it? Anyone have any experience? Tips? Hints?

The requested SIG could not be retrieved
Lapikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2004, 01:39   #2
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Rule of thumb: when it comes to removing those .dll files, no cleaning programs are safe.

Honestly, I believe the little amount of space they take up is not worth the risk of deleteing them and possibly screwing up your system. However, if it bugs you so much, then stick with the AnalogX tool, since it has a feature that lets you quarntine the "unused" .dll-s first to see if everything's still stable before actually deleting them.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2004, 06:43   #3
Lapikas
Major Dude

That's what I thought. It's not my computer that's full of em (as I accidently wrote on my previous post). It's my cousins comp. He usually "uninstalls" programs by deleting the folder, against my advice. So then their WinXp gets pretty bloated, and there's no way to remove those dlls. Then he calls me and wonders how his hard drive has no free space and how everything is so slow! (He don't have much hd-space anyway)..

The requested SIG could not be retrieved
Lapikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2004, 07:31   #4
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Fix the problem, don't patch it. Tell your cousin to uninstall things properly or to stop complaining. If he can't be bothered to uninstall things properly then you can't be bothered to help him.

Don't go deleting DLL's you can delete them and not know you needed it until it's too late - because by their very nature they are dynamic.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2004, 14:38   #5
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

This is what I do:
1. Install only the programs that I'm going to use, no testing programs in my main machine (that's why I use machines with WinME nor WinXP to test all the betas)

2. Try no to install programs that uses the same core DLLs, for example: Installing both Photoshop and PaintShop Pro, share some DLL (like gdiplus, for example)...

3. Different codecs pack: Must of them are the same.

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2004, 17:37   #6
yenerich
Banned

Be carefull about deleting DLLS, no sftware can really do it 100% good.
But did your cousin really have TOO much dlls???? Does he installs tons of software?
yenerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions