Old 12th December 2014, 01:57   #1
DiViGion
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
How to change root folder of all Media Library tracks

Hi, all

I has great ML, but i'd like to move all my music from disk D:\ to path E:\Music. Is there a way to keep all ML ratings, playlists, etc and link it to new location?
DiViGion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 03:15   #2
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
the nearest option i can think off is to export it, edit the file and then re-import. but make sure you back up the database before doing any of that so you can restore it incase things don't work.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 03:37   #3
DiViGion
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Thank you for idea, but i can't find how to implement it((( Where is ML export? I can find only PL export.
DiViGion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 06:11   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,822
Library button in the bottom left corner of the ML > Export Media Database

It exports to a .xml file, so you can open it in any decent text editor (e.g. Notepad++),
use Find+Replace to replace all instances of D:\ with E:\Music\
Save it.
Then use > Library > Import media database

You can either nuke the database before importing, via:
Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Media Library > Local Library > Options tab > Clear Library

Or you can just use: Library button > "Remove missing files" afterwards.

Also be sure to change the folder in Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Media Library > Local Library > Watch Folders, in case you do a full rescan.

Personally, I would also recommend saving all your ratings to file before doing anything.
It will work for mp3, m4a/mp4/aac, flac, ogg, wma.

Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Media Library > Options tab
Checkmark: Save ratings to file for compatible formats
Close Prefs

Then go to the Local Library > Audio view
Search for: ?rating=5
Select all results (Ctrl+A) in the bottom Tracks pane
Right-click the first selected > rate items > 5 stars

If you've got hundreds of files, or more, then it might be wise to do it in batches
(you can use left click on first item, then shift+click on an item lower down to select all items from a-to-b)

Repeat for ?rating=4

etc.

This way, all the ratings are stored in your files, just in case anything goes wrong with the export->re-import process.

If any of the ratings don't show after reimporting, then you can use rt-click > "Read metadata on selected items" in the ML views,
which should pick up any missing metadata, including ratings.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 14:40   #5
ravermeister
Senior Member
 
ravermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cologne
Posts: 198
Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
good to know, I had Always restored my Device Letters after a reinstallation

Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Device Management
right click on a device to change its letters.

lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 22:42   #6
DiViGion
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
>>Library button in the bottom left corner of the ML > Export Media Database
There is no Export Media Database item in menu

ravermeister, not only drive letter changed, but path also. And other soft should be referred to old location, so I can change drive letter
DiViGion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 22:53   #7
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
re-download Winamp from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....74929#download (use the .co.uk link) and ensure the import / export library plug-in is installed.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 00:04   #8
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator
 
Victhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,608
[half off-topic] Is there any chance to add an option on next version to automatically re-write rating to files? (would be something with a big warning I guess, since it modifies the original file, but I don't see it as a potentially harmful thing). Would be something next to the current option saying something like "re-apply current ratings to ALL files now".
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 18:21   #9
images
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Device Management
right click on a device to change its letters. Good work
images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 01:36   #10
rjneigenfind
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 4
export, erase and reimport works for me
rjneigenfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 19:19   #11
DiViGion
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
export, erase and reimport works for me too

thanx!!!
DiViGion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 17:47   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
[half off-topic] Is there any chance to add an option on next version to automatically re-write rating to files? (would be something with a big warning I guess, since it modifies the original file, but I don't see it as a potentially harmful thing). Would be something next to the current option saying something like "re-apply current ratings to ALL files now".
while this can be done manually, (kinda tediously) I do think it would be good to have a one click option, that allows a user to apply all the ML DB ratings to the given files tags.

similarly, I can see the usefulness of a single click option to apply all ML DB values (that have tag equivalents) to a given files tags.

these options could be squirreled away in the appropriate areas of prefs, and should have a big warning, but would have intrinsic value, imo.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 17:55   #13
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
similarly, I can see the usefulness of a single click option to apply all ML DB values (that have tag equivalents) to a given files tags.
Doesn't the <Shift + E> tag editor provide for this?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 18:11   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Doesn't the <Shift + E> tag editor provide for this?
that's a manual way, and it doesn't do ALL ML DB values/tags. what's being proposed is a single click option in prefs.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 18:43   #15
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
what's being proposed is a single click option in prefs.
I'm trying to visualize how this would work and what it is for.

Select the files and then select this option?

Is it to apply metadata to files whose metadata has changed but has not been scanned into the library? In other words, a way to revert to prior metadata? I also don't understand how this relates to changing the root folder.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 19:02   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I'm trying to visualize how this would work and what it is for.

Select the files and then select this option?
no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Is it to apply metadata to files whose metadata has changed but has not been scanned into the library?
no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
In other words, a way to revert to prior metadata?
no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I also don't understand how this relates to changing the root folder.
it doesn't directly. it was a reply to Victhor. however it would be useful when changing root folders insofar as making sure what info the DB has is in the equivalent tags.

here's the idea:

the ML is just a DB, and typically it represents what it finds [scans in], meaning files and their tags. HOWEVER, there are many cases (like ratings by default in winamp unfortunately) where the ML DB can be divergent from the info in the files. i.e. you can update and have more "recent" info in the DB, that is itself not ported back to the files.

ergo, the point of these two options is to export, (or imprint and apply if you prefer) the ML DB values to the files via a single click in prefs. it would apply to ALL records/files. that would eliminate any potential divergence, and in this case, help to make sure that as much info as possible survives the drive change.

it would be great if winamp supported the PCNT tag, and others, so more info that winamp's DB stores could also be accommodated.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 19:35   #17
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
HOWEVER, there are many cases (like ratings by default in winamp unfortunately) where the ML DB can be divergent from the info in the files.
Ok, I'll take your word for it. Other than choosing to only put ratings in the database (the default) instead of the file and the database, I thought this only happened (for the tags that Winamp supports) if edited files were not rescanned into the library or the <Shift + E> editor was used and the option to not also update the file's tags was selected. This makes the <Shift + E> editor dangerous, imo, and I would only use it for files that do not support tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
ergo, the point of these two options ...
I read your post 3 times, which 2nd option are you referring to?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 19:48   #18
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
HOWEVER, there are many cases (like ratings by default in winamp unfortunately) where the ML DB can be divergent from the info in the files. i.e. you can update and have more "recent" info in the DB, that is itself not ported back to the files.
then pick a consistent model for editing the data and stick to it. if you edit things outside of the bounds of Winamp then you are causing the issues with data integrity and cannot expect things to super-magically know what is / isn't correct if you do something in one program and another one and then wonder why it's not showing what you wanted in the other - as an integrity issues have been caused by not being consistent and that is not something that can really be resolved.

the <Shift + E> mode does the basis of what you're wanting to batch apply changes to things. so yes it may put the wrong data in there or override what was set externally but it comes back to not handling things consistently. and if it's known that things have diverged, re-scan the media before doing batch edits.

as such, you're making a mountain out of a molehill from what i've skim read, as all applicable edits should be saved to the files if you've configured it that way and the format is supported. yes Winamp should support everything under the sun, but it doesn't (and probably never will) and that's what you're stuck with - you'd probably be better of with fb2k if that's the sort of stuff you're wanting.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 20:20   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Ok, I'll take your word for it. Other than choosing to only put ratings in the database (the default) instead of the file and the database, I thought this only happened (for the tags that Winamp supports) if edited files were not rescanned into the library or the <Shift + E> editor was used and the option to not also update the file's tags was selected. This makes the <Shift + E> editor dangerous, imo, and I would only use it for files that do not support tags.
but those are the instances I am talking about, and I also have vague recollections that one can disable all tag/file writing via the ini files.

the point of the option[s] is to make sure data isn't divergent, (useful on its own merits but esp when changing one's computing environment). and in the case of ratings, it really makes sense given the default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I read your post 3 times, which 2nd option are you referring to?
post 12.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 20:33   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
then pick a consistent model for editing the data and stick to it.
one does not know (nor should be presumed to know) that ratings are not written to files by default. and for most years, winamp had no such option anyway. so what VICHTOR suggested, and I agreed with, was a remedy for that.

the proposed options would be very useful, esp when getting ready to change ones computing environment. if you do them, great, if you don't, its not like I was going to complain. I simply expanded on Victhor's suggestion, something that used to be welcome around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
if you edit things outside of the bounds of Winamp then you are causing the issues with data integrity and cannot expect things to super-magically know what is / isn't correct if you do something in one program and another one and then wonder why it's not showing what you wanted in the other - as an integrity issues have been caused by not being consistent and that is not something that can really be resolved.
not the issue being discussed. all discussion was within the confines of winamp and its own behavior[s]. kinda silly to argue something that isn't being debated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
the <Shift + E> mode does the basis of what you're wanting to batch apply changes to things. so yes it may put the wrong data in there or override what was set externally but it comes back to not handling things consistently. and if it's known that things have diverged, re-scan the media before doing batch edits.
again, this has nothing to do with external activities, nor does it apply to this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
as such, you're making a mountain out of a molehill from what i've skim read,
ergo the problem, since I am not doing what you are accusing me of. and the characterization is also false, as all I have done is agreed with VICHTOR'S suggestion, and explained it to Aminifu by his request. I am not banging on the table for it, or saying its crucial to winamp's success or making a mountain of a molehill. I am simply in favor of what I consider to be a good idea. that's not a crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
as all applicable edits should be saved to the files if you've configured it that way and the format is supported. yes Winamp should support everything under the sun, but it doesn't (and probably never will) and that's what you're stuck with - you'd probably be better of with fb2k if that's the sort of stuff you're wanting.
I think I've explained myself sufficiently.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 20:44   #21
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
my points are fully relevant to this because it's all the same, whether Winamp is causing the inconsistency or it's down to mis-matches due to other programs. as you can easily get the issue with Winamp and 3rd party plug-ins, so despite what you think, it is relevant and is part of the whole picture that needs to be considered.

and get over yourself, i used 'you' as a generic term for whoever was reading the post at the time. but whatever, I shouldn't be posting in threads like this anyway.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 20:56   #22
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
my points are fully relevant to this because it's all the same, whether Winamp is causing the inconsistency or it's down to mis-matches due to other programs. as you can easily get the issue with Winamp and 3rd party plug-ins, so despite what you think, it is relevant and is part of the whole picture that needs to be considered.
you were arguing against the options by saying the user's behavior was invalid, which when it comes to doing things externally and then expecting winamp to "magically" know, as you put it, is a position I completely agree with.

but the option VICHTOR suggested, was to remedy winamp's own intrinsic behavior. that is NOT the fault of the user, esp since many users rated things in the DB before the option to write ever even existed; and even if the user does make mistakes in winamp, like by not updating files by unchecking the update option in Ctrl-E, all I was suggesting was an option in prefs to overcome such errors, which again is valid on its own merits, but esp so if one is changing their computing environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
and get over yourself, i used 'you' as a generic term for whoever was reading the post at the time. but whatever, I shouldn't be posting in threads like this anyway.
right. I guess its the generic "you" making the mountain out of the molehill. your hostility towards me and my posts, posts which are innocuous at worst, is self evident.

I have offered to bury the hatchet many times with you, but u def never drop a grudge. it saddens me b/c we used to get along quite well.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 21:01   #23
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
what do you expect when you threatened to beat the shit out of me!
back on the ignore list you go, which I should never have taken you off.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 21:18   #24
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
what do you expect when you threatened to beat the shit out of me!
back on the ignore list you go, which I should never have taken you off.
that's nice. fine, lets rehash. you talked to me in a ridiculously unacceptable way which was beyond disrespectful, and I let you know, that you never would talk to me like that in person, which is undoubtedly true. I can repost the exchange in case you forgot?

look, I'm all for moving on, its old news. if I was wrong for anything, I'm happy to apologize, and will do so, and I would like to think that you are not above admitting being wrong for whatever and apologizing as well. I don't see why you can't just talk to me in a respectful way and address this so we can put it behind us? I'd be thrilled to do so.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 17:15   #25
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
but those are the instances I am talking about, and I also have vague recollections that one can disable all tag/file writing via the ini files.

the point of the option[s] is to make sure data isn't divergent, (useful on its own merits but esp when changing one's computing environment). and in the case of ratings, it really makes sense given the default.
If the user causes the metadata to become divergent by failing to use Winamp in an appropriate way (i.e. the way it is designed to be used, instead of the way the user 'wants' to use it or assumes it should work), then it's the user's fault, imo.

Users will learn the appropriate ways to do things the same way they learn anything they do not know (i.e. reading the docs, or asking someone who knows what to do, or the 'trial and error' method).

Some users may not know that changes made with another app, that doesn't also update the files' modification date, will not be picked up by a simple rescan. I found this out 'the hard way', myself. However, there is already another method available to force Winamp to read the modified metadata in such cases.

I don't agree that Winamp should add more features to help users recover faster from this kind of usage error. Especially in this case, since the user would end up with consistent, but old, data (in the files and library database) and they would have to do any corrections/updates over again anyway.

If there was no way to recover from user error, that would be a problem. But that is not the case, in this case, imo.


As to putting ratings in files, I think it was appropriate to make that feature 'opt in' instead of 'opt out' when it was added. Putting ratings only in the database is consistent with the established way Winamp had been handling this. You are always saying it will cause user distress (and increase the support burden) to change established behavior, but with your special interest in ratings I understand why you want it the other way (i.e. 'opt out') in this case.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 19:27   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
If the user causes the metadata to become divergent by failing to use Winamp in an appropriate way (i.e. the way it is designed to be used, instead of the way the user 'wants' to use it or assumes it should work), then it's the user's fault, imo.
first of all, it doesn't matter whose fault it is. winamps job is to help the user, not punish him.

second of all, the ratings thing is winamps "fault" and is a condition that pre-exists the more or less recent ability of winamp's to write ratings tags to files.

third, there may be situations where a user wanted to not write to tags, but DID want to write to the ML, and later wants to reconcile them. its not hard to imagine, just consider music on a USB drive that isn't present at the time of editing. completely reasonable usage, and not just a niche case.

fourth, this was VICHTOR'S suggestion, I merely agree with it. argue with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Users will learn the appropriate ways to do things the same way they learn anything they do not know (i.e. reading the docs, or asking someone who knows what to do, or the 'trial and error' method).
not the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Some users may not know that changes made with another app, that doesn't also update the files' modification date, will not be picked up by a simple rescan. I found this out 'the hard way', myself. However, there is already another method available to force Winamp to read the modified metadata in such cases.
not related to anything I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I don't agree that Winamp should add more features to help users recover faster from this kind of usage error.
great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Especially in this case, since the user would end up with consistent, but old, data (in the files and library database) and they would have to do any corrections/updates over again anyway.
wrong, incorrect, false. I just laid out above a totally reasonable scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
If there was no way to recover from user error, that would be a problem. But that is not the case, in this case, imo.
whatever that means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
As to putting ratings in files, I think it was appropriate to make that feature 'opt in' instead of 'opt out' when it was added.
great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Putting ratings only in the database is consistent with the established way Winamp had been handling this.
consistently bad and unintuitive way, yes. what other metadata does the user write that is not edited to the file by default? what other apps act that way by default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
You are always saying it will cause user distress (and increase the support burden) to change established behavior, but with your special interest in ratings I understand why you want it the other way (i.e. 'opt out') in this case.
my special interest? right, me and the rest of anyone else who uses ratings, and esp those who have lost ratings. there is no personal need for me to argue this or my POV, I know how to make winamp work for me. the point is whats best for the majority and the evidence for my POV is beyond abundant in these very forums. hundreds, perhaps thousands of posts about ratings, or losing them due to any number of reasons, including winamp failures.

EDIT: 5302 posts, give or take.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 20:42   #27
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
... this was VICHTOR'S suggestion, I merely agree with it. argue with him.

...
I'm not arguing with anyone. I understood Victhor's suggestion and I didn't understand yours (which expands on what Victhor was talking about) until you explained it. Then I merely stated my opinion, which boils down to; there are already ways to deal with what you're talking about so I don't see the need to add another. Granted your suggestion would require less effort on the user's part. It would be a 'nice to have' for those who get themselves into such situations like you describe. I just don't see it as a necessary thing to add.

The limited addition Victhor is suggesting would probably be simple to do, I doubt that your's would be (i.e "apply all ML DB values (that have tag equivalents) to a given files tags"). I didn't understand what you meant by "given".


I don't see it as Winamp's job to do everything a user would want to do. Rather, it's the user's job to adapt to what Winamp provides that isn't broken or find another app to use. Of course, agreeing on what is and isn't broken (broken being things that are not done in an acceptable manner) is a whole other problem.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 22:18   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I'm not arguing with anyone. I understood Victhor's suggestion and I didn't understand yours (which expands on what Victhor was talking about) until you explained it. Then I merely stated my opinion, which boils down to; there are already ways to deal with what you're talking about so I don't see the need to add another.
but there aren't. I mean, I already explained it and its as if you didn't read it, its very frustrating to have people skim or seemingly just not comprehend anything. tell me, how is someone who makes edits to random things here or there over the course of weeks or months, when a given USB drive with the actual files is occasionally NOT present, supposed to remember what all he did when it was absent? he can't! impossible! & there is no mass workaround. ergo why one would need the ability to later reconcile edits in the DB to the files. a completely reasonable usage case, and one I have seen other apps support.

it would be nice to be able to make ML edits knowing you could update your files with those edits at a later time, would it not? its esp useful if you have multiple USB HDs with differing tracks on them, is it not? some laptops only have one USB port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Granted your suggestion would require less effort on the user's part. It would be a 'nice to have' for those who get themselves into such situations like you describe. I just don't see it as a necessary thing to add.
well, that's in the eye or the user, no? I mean, its not something YOU would require apparently, and its likely not some big majority either, but for anyone who does need it, like those with large MLs, (like me), they will have to use a different app, b/c winamp does not do it, which is a shame, b/c its those users winamp otherwise attracts and markets to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
The limited addition Victhor is suggesting would probably be simple to do, I doubt that your's would be (i.e "apply all ML DB values (that have tag equivalents) to a given files tags"). I didn't understand what you meant by "given".
let me explain the last part first. its not tricky, I'm just simply stating the obvious, that what is to be exported, from the DB record, should be applied to the "given" file, i.e. the file that record represents/pertains to.

I don't see why applying only ratings DB records to tags is possible, but applying all DB records, (that have tag equivalents) to files is so impossible? I think its quite doable.

---

OT Rant:

now, let me point out something yet again. Vichtor made the first suggestion about the feature for ratings. i said i support that, and i could see expanding it to all records, not just ratings. that's not a far leap to make.

at no time did i say it must be done, that its absolutely necessary, that winamp is shit without it, or anything of the sort. i merely agreed with a good idea and added an idea of my own that is closely related. DrO and the other devs, if there are any, can do it or not. that's always how it is, and i completely understand that.

where i take exception, is when people start to act as if i said otherwise, that i think its "necessary" or a priority, or that i am making a mountain out of a molehill, esp when they haven't even read the fucking thread! that's bullshit. anyone is free to like or dislike the idea, but don't mischaracterize what i said, put words in my mouth, or piss all over a completely reasonable idea for no good reason.

just to be clear Aminifu, most of that doesn't apply to you, but it has been a frustrating exchange for me.

/Rant

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 04:44   #29
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
but there aren't. I mean, I already explained it and its as if you didn't read it, its very frustrating to have people skim or seemingly just not comprehend anything. tell me, how is someone who makes edits to random things here or there over the course of weeks or months, when a given USB drive with the actual files is occasionally NOT present, supposed to remember what all he did when it was absent? he can't! impossible! & there is no mass workaround. ergo why one would need the ability to later reconcile edits in the DB to the files. a completely reasonable usage case, and one I have seen other apps support.

it would be nice to be able to make ML edits knowing you could update your files with those edits at a later time, would it not? its esp useful if you have multiple USB HDs with differing tracks on them, is it not? some laptops only have one USB port.
Considering how Winamp works, some reasonable people would see that as a self-created problem. I mean, if you want to keep your library and files in sync, then don't make library edits when you're not able to also update your files before you forget to do so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
well, that's in the eye or the user, no? I mean, its not something YOU would require apparently, and its likely not some big majority either, but for anyone who does need it, like those with large MLs, (like me), they will have to use a different app, b/c winamp does not do it, which is a shame, b/c its those users winamp otherwise attracts and markets to.
...

I don't see why applying only ratings DB records to tags is possible, but applying all DB records, (that have tag equivalents) to files is so impossible? I think its quite doable.
I don't know who Winamp markets to, but I believe Winamp attracts, and is attractive to, a diverse group. Those with large media collections and those with small. Those with many different media formats and those with only a few. It's always going to be a trade off for the core app. There's no way for the core app to fully satisfy everyone, but that's where the ability to support plug-ins come in. The functions of almost any area can be expanded with the right plug-in.

I spent many years designing or writing code. Your suggestion is not impossible, it's just my programmer intuition telling me that it may not be as simple to implement as Victhor's suggestion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
OT Rant:

..., but don't mischaracterize what i said, put words in my mouth, ...
I've often felt that you have done the same thing to me. It's not so much what you say, but how you say it. You have an abrasive and forceful tone. It can be insulting (intentional or not). Once a person gets pissed off or feels 'hurt', they respond in kind (strike back) and all hope for a rational discussion is then lost. It's not easy to 'forgive and forget'. What may be trivial to one is not to the other. Gentle persuasion can work better than brute force, imo

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 07:36   #30
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Considering how Winamp works, some reasonable people would see that as a self-created problem.
then winamp should not allow it. but since winamp DOES allow it, rightly imo, it should accommodate the situation more fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I mean, if you want to keep your library and files in sync, then don't make library edits when you're not able to also update your files before you forget to do so.
your beef should properly be with what winamp allows, not what the user does that's allowed.

and its kinda silly to say edits should only be allowed if the files are present, b/c as i laid out, there are completely valid and reasonable scenarios when the files won't be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I don't know who Winamp markets to, but I believe Winamp attracts, and is attractive to, a diverse group. Those with large media collections and those with small. Those with many different media formats and those with only a few. It's always going to be a trade off for the core app. There's no way for the core app to fully satisfy everyone, but that's where the ability to support plug-ins come in. The functions of almost any area can be expanded with the right plug-in.
fine, but clearly winamp is an advanced app with a heavy emphasis on functionality not in a simpler app like WMP. its not going for, and never has, total simplicity. ergo, it appeals to users seeking more useful complexity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I spent many years designing or writing code. Your suggestion is not impossible, it's just my programmer intuition telling me that it may not be as simple to implement as Victhor's suggestion.
winamp can create a DB from a scan. this is simply the reverse, creating tags from a DB, (and in most cases, only doing something IF something has changed, which is similar to how scans work as well) I'm not saying its a 15 min job, but its not splitting the atom either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I've often felt that you have done the same thing to me. It's not so much what you say, but how you say it. You have an abrasive and forceful tone. It can be insulting (intentional or not). Once a person gets pissed off or feels 'hurt', they respond in kind (strike back) and all hope for a rational discussion is then lost. It's not easy to 'forgive and forget'. What may be trivial to one is not to the other. Gentle persuasion can work better than brute force, imo
and the feeling is mutual. look, I'm not going to genuflect and kiss your ass or DrO's, as he seems to think he is due, and I'm not going to refrain from calling a spade a spade, like when you won't [or he] admit you're factually wrong. but I don't skim people's posts, and purposely mischaracterize their POV; and if I'm ever wrong, I have np admitting it, and if someone helps me I thank them. i also don't tell others how to speak, i consider that condescending and sanctimonious; but the exception is when they are rude or otherwise ignorant to me personally, then i defend myself as anyone has a right to.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 14:43   #31
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
your beef should properly be with what winamp allows, not what the user does that's allowed.

and its kinda silly to say edits should only be allowed if the files are present, b/c as i laid out, there are completely valid and reasonable scenarios when the files won't be available.
You see my statement as a "beef", it wasn't intended as one. It's just another valid way to look at things.

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be. In a sense, Winamp is a tool like a gun is a tool. When someone is shot illegally, do you blame the shooter or the gun?

All I'm saying is it can come down to how something is used. What is or isn't appropriate or useful for or in a given situation given the positive and negative consequences of certain possible actions. I didn't say "edits should only be allowed if the files are present", I meant limit the number of edits, or take notes, or do whatever needs to be done (given the limitations) that will allow things to be synced when they can be. It's silly to do what is know will lead to bad results, after learning what will lead to bad results.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 22:06   #32
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
You see my statement as a "beef", it wasn't intended as one. It's just another valid way to look at things.
complaint, issue, or whatever word you like. imo, your way isn't valid, b/c you're focusing blame where it doesn't belong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be. In a sense, Winamp is a tool like a gun is a tool. When someone is shot illegally, do you blame the shooter or the gun?
the justification for this, as I have made clear, isn't "just b/c it can be done." it goes well beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
All I'm saying is it can come down to how something is used. What is or isn't appropriate or useful for or in a given situation given the positive and negative consequences of certain possible actions. I didn't say "edits should only be allowed if the files are present", I meant limit the number of edits, or take notes, or do whatever needs to be done (given the limitations) that will allow things to be synced when they can be. It's silly to do what is know will lead to bad results, after learning what will lead to bad results.
actually, whats silly is to only partially implement a feature, as winamp has done. in other words, winamp lets you do the first part and not the second, and so it makes the usage case I described ultimately unproductive (as you have concluded), ergo the shame of it all. its a lost opportunity and that's too bad.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 22:51   #33
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
actually, whats silly is to only partially implement a feature, as winamp has done.
I suggest you add your observation and conclusion to the following thread (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=379184). Maybe those in a position to do something about it will take a second look.

Now it's time for me to get ready to watch the Super Bowl!

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump