Old 9th August 2002, 18:20   #1
AOLSucks

I hate advertisments... including Winamp 3's.

"Built In Ads - None"

Apparently ads for services provided by Nullsoft's parent company don't count. Get your crap off my computer screen and keep it off. If you can't make a program free, charge for it.

No. Uninstalling Winamp will NOT remove them, of course.

How to fix:

Start->Search->For Files or Folders...
Search for files or folders named: *AOL*.*
Delete anything that looks like an advertisement. (If you still use AOL crappy Messager, try not to delete any of those files...)

Sad to say, I used to be an AOL member. How embarrassing.
AOLSucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2002, 18:28   #2
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
Uh, is he refering to the AOL icon? I just unticked it and it didn't get "installed". Don't see the problem.

Welcome to the real world, if you can finance Winamp, please do... If you can't, sit quietly and say "Thank you" for getting a mere icon, sheesh.
YtseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2002, 20:48   #3
randman

Uh, it adds more than clutter to your desktop. It also adds these entries to your registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\Aod\Icon
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\Aod\Explorer
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\Aod\Internet Explorer
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\Aod

Installation of Winamp 3 also added this to my registry. I really don't know what it is. ???

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\FullCircle\TalkBack\NullsoftWinampWin32488
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\FullCircle\TalkBack

Never mind. I found out what it is. It's an optional "feedback" program.

The Agent gathers information that Netscape can use to improve Communicator. The most important information that the Agent collects after a crash or bug is the state of the software and the state of your computer. The Agent may also collect information about the stability and usage of Netscape.
There are three basic types of events that can invoke the Agent:
Crash—Communicator suddenly hangs or quits
Trigger—A Netscape-defined event that occurs during a user action, such as using a specific feature or reaching a pre-determined count.

Assert—A Netscape-defined event that can occur without any specific user action.

The Agent sends your information back to Netscape, where it is combined with information from other users. This allows Netscape to get an overview of how their applications are being used, how well they are performing, and what problems their users might be having. This overview lets the developers focus their attention on the features and problems that have the greatest impact on you, the user.

Although most of the information collected by the Agent is low-level, technical, and impersonal, some users may consider portions of the gathered information private. For your privacy and protection:
The Agent encrypts all data before it sends it to Netscape The Agent uses a secure transmission that makes sure only the software development team will receive the information the Agent has gathered. See Is the information gathered by the Agent secure?
You may view all of the information collected by the Agent before you authorized it to be sent. See How do I view the information the Agent will send?

Netscape can configure the Agent to collect information that is specific to their application. Application-specific data can be essential when tracking down a problem. The information that Netscape can specify for collection can include application state information, event histories, timing data, execution, and user-customizable settings.

Any data that the Agent collects on the Netscape’s behalf will be displayed along with the standard data when you view information from the Agent Information window.

Ahhhh. Winamp 3. Now with spyware.
Old 9th August 2002, 20:50   #4
Saotome 2.0

Send a message via AIM to Saotome 2.0
I just don't fuck with the registry, then I'm happy.

OLD SCHOOL!
My Home Page
Saotome 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2002, 20:56   #5
randman

Quote:
Originally posted by Saotome Takuya
I just don't fuck with the registry, then I'm happy.
Ignorance truly is bliss, then?
Old 9th August 2002, 20:59   #6
randman

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Talk back is a crash reporting thingy, from Netscape. Like Windows XP report errors thing. It helps the developers debug when the program crashes.
Read my edited post regarding the "thingy". It is optional, but by ALL definitions of the word, it is spyware.
Old 10th August 2002, 01:32   #7
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
talkback isnt spyware...by definition, spyware cannot be disabled..and you dont know about..winamp clearly gives you the option of enabling it or not.

and the AOL icons....well, all AOL products have them...it was only a matter of time before winamp got them too, we know you dont like them, Nullsoft probably doesnt like them either, but its just someting you have to deal with. and like nant said, you can choose not to install them during installation

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 06:03   #8
slacker52

Send a message via AIM to slacker52
right click>delete, problem solved
slacker52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 13:37   #9
Captainscragg

Send a message via AIM to Captainscragg Send a message via Yahoo to Captainscragg
the ads are found in C:\Program Files\Winamp3\AOD just delete the directory
Captainscragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 14:03   #10
creativ82

Unbelievable...

Simply unbelievable. I download Winamp 3 today to see what it's like even though I'm more than happy with Winamp 2 and I come to this thread thinking, "They wouldn't actually put those damn things in there would they?" And of course they did. I look on my desktop, there's a crappy waste-your-money-on-AOL's-crappy-service icon and one in my favorites folder as well. And apparantly, there's registry modifications as well. I know AOL like owns Winamp but come ON people. There is not a single person around that WANTS AOL's damn as on their computer! NO ONE. Why the fuck do you put them on there then? Because you have to? LAME. AOL is so damn stupid to force its service on everyone in every single other form of media. Why can't they leave Winamp users alone?! Talk a bout a deterrent from your product. Wise up, take the AOL crap out, and then you'd have a good player. Until you do that, I know I'm not going to be downloading it. AOL should NOT make me take time out to remove all its crap so I can have a pleasant player. Never.

Flame me all you want but AOL needs to quit forcing its service on everyone.
creativ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 17:36   #11
Lord192

I hate AOL, too. Especially when I go into a shop and people just want to give me AOL-CD's! I HATE THIS THING! Everywhere AOL CD's are lying down and no one wants it. My record was about 500-1000 found CD's in a shop with only about 1000 m²!!!
Why don't they just send it to http://www.nomoreaolcds.com/ ?
Then AOL would get their CD's back.

The only good use for AOL CD's is to test how far you can bend an CD or to play fresbee with it (it makes real fun!!)

This is my opinion about AOL ...
Lord192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 18:30   #12
ssj4_android

Send a message via ICQ to ssj4_android Send a message via AIM to ssj4_android Send a message via Yahoo to ssj4_android
The talkback view more info doesn't work, When it did, I looked at it, the info did look a little personal, but whatever.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 21:36   #13
F-22

I love aol "frisbees". You can make nice ninja stars out of them too, if you do it right
F-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 22:48   #14
slacker52

sol, gay-o-hell, or just plain aol. what you get with wa3 is just an icon, delete it is all you need to do andd it doesnt affect wa3 at all. btw win98se disks can bend tip-to-tip side-to-side and still work
Old 12th August 2002, 00:56   #15
creativ82

Yes, all I have to do is delete the stuff and I'd be on my way but I should not even have to do that! I should NEVER have to delete gay-o-hell (good name for it!) from any part of my computer when I never willingly put it on in the first place.
Old 12th August 2002, 03:56   #16
rm'
Banned

Yes you did. There is an option in the installer not to install it. Looks like you should have payed more attention while installing.....
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2002, 13:15   #17
creativ82

I read installation instructions quite carefully and I sure didn't see the option anywhere in them. I thank you for bringing it to my attention though. I will try again in the future but not for a while. Why? I just don't like Winamp 3 really. Aside from the AOL crap I just don't like it as much as Winamp 2.
Old 12th August 2002, 17:45   #18
slacker52

Quote:
Originally posted by creativ82
I read installation instructions quite carefully and I sure didn't see the option anywhere in them. I thank you for bringing it to my attention though. I will try again in the future but not for a while. Why? I just don't like Winamp 3 really. Aside from the AOL crap I just don't like it as much as Winamp 2.
i too saw no option to put the aol icon in my faviorites or on my desktop. i dont like wa3 either, its just not yet as good ashampoo media player...but its damm close
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist