Old 21st October 2003, 09:25   #1
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Question about Radiohead

Ok, wtf is wrong with this band ? Could anyone tell me why such a lousy act gets praise from just about everyone in the world ?
Yesterday, I watched a live perfomance by them out of curiosity, I was appalled, they started with this song called 'My Iron Lung', it was awful : no tune, awful singing, just lousy guitar playing with an idiot yelling over it.

Could anyone explain ?
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2003, 10:00   #2
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

radiohead already explained themselves listen to "creep"

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
FORUMRULES
WINAMP
SHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2003, 10:01   #3
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

I can't explain. I feel the same way.

To me, they're an ordinary guitar band (somewhat depressing), nothing in their music is innovative or special. Frankly, Radiohead just bore the shit out of me.

This is the way I look at it:
Radiohead sound great to the masses, however I'm a slightly more complicated person. Which is why Stereolab or Curve sound complicated to Mr Average. It must be a genetical thing.??

Anyway, I say again, radiohead are shite!!!!

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
Cylob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2003, 10:05   #4
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I like them. They do have some catchy tunes, and Tom Yorkes lyrics writing is pretty melancholy, but what can you expect froma guy who is constantly depressed?
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2003, 10:46   #5
sidd
Major Dude

well.. it seems i like too much music for the people on this forum. Ill admitt pearl jam are a bit iffy.. but radiohead? WTF!!!!

firstly, my iron lung was a shitty single from their 2nd album more than 7 years ago. It was good for radio, but they never play it live. They would have pulled it out for a novelty to please the more hardcore fans.

Same deal with creep.

2nd, Sure, they arent as complicated as alot of bands.. but they are still pretty fucking complicated. See KidA and Amnesiac albums. If one there is one thing that radiohead ARE, cylob, its innovative.

sooo.. i do the same as i did on the pearl jam thread. Gladly, im a much bigger radiohead fan than i am a pearl jam fan.. so heres the rant, minus the singles:

motion picture soundtrack - one of my fav songs of all time, great lyrics. You need to hear the accoustic version though.

wolf at the door - fucking astounding.. still blows me away after how ever many fucking listens. Try following the lyrics, i dare you!!!

exit music - one of them epic, mind blowing tunes.

let down - well.. i just love multiple vox tracks.. so this is my sort of thing.

life in a glass house - some fine new orleans free-style jazz trumpets, crazy lyrics, fucking amazing ending.

i will - harmonies.. ooooh yeah.

like spinning plates - ever wanted to hear what it would sound like if you tried to sing a song backwards and then reverce the audio track???

rhinestone cowboy - glenn cambell cover... sweeeeet.

idioteque - THE live track.

talk show host - eh.. cool lyrics.. i dont like it anymore, but if you havnt heard it before you probably will.

kinetic - eerie sounding electronic piece. Once again, cool lyrics, and melody line to piece.

worrywort - a song that sounds like you feel after 2 days without sleep. distant.

the amazing sounds of orgy - freaks me out. Nice groove. One of my fav tracks.

Shall istop now???

um...

stop insulting good bands!!!!

oh, yeah, btw.. radiohead havnt been depressing or depressed since fucking '97. I think one of the songs above is a little *melencholly*, but most are far beyond such simple adjectives.

erm...ok.. *click*
sidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2003, 11:11   #6
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

I can't help it sidd, all of those tracks are just plain ordinary. There are groundbreakers and groundbreakers.

Radiohead were average in the 90's, again average in the 00's.

No heights scaled.

I have all of their albums, but that's just down to peer pressure. There are so many bands better than Radiohead. Stacks.

Old 21st October 2003, 11:44   #7
sidd
Major Dude

Well yeah.. thats why they aint my fav band.. not even close.. but they are still an amazing band.

radiohead were below average in the '90.. for some reason they got lots of hype.

but the last 3 albums are fucking-a imho.

(geez... you dont like ANY of those tracks.. not even wolf at the door? )

//edit actually, sorry dude, i looked at my list again... youv really pissed me off now ...

Have you seriously heard all of those tracks, even the live one (rhinestone cowboy) and the 3 b-side (last 3). Because fucking hell.. they are all amazing songs by anyones standards.. and you have far better tastes than most people out there, so whats the deal??

I PLEED TO YOU: listen to wolf at the door NOW without the mindset like "oooh this is radiohead.. dreary crap.. ooooooh...whoopeeeee.. radiotrash". Then go listen to the rest of list!!! GRRRRRR..

ok..

:P

//edit2 im listening too it now.. jeez.. how could anyone ignore this song?!??? Everything just explodes 2 minutes in.. its insane... christ....... im pissed of and drunk (can you tell) and im gonna go have a smoke....

blah!

Last edited by sidd; 21st October 2003 at 12:06.
Old 21st October 2003, 12:59   #8
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

If we're talking 2000's, I do like 'Pyramid Song' and 'I Might Be Wrong'. Yorke doesn't ruin them with his usual wailing.

To be honest, I've only skated over their latest work. Bands have to earn a place on my playlist - no free rides. Radiohead are way down on the list.

Old 21st October 2003, 13:00   #9
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

But I will listen to Wolf at the Door.

It had better be good!!!!!!

Old 21st October 2003, 13:06   #10
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cylob
Bands have to earn a place on my playlist - no free rides.
Ditto. PSB and the Smiths made it effortlessly though
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2003, 13:16   #11
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

You're speaking of thoroughbreads 'seer.

Radiohead are but a candle to The Smiths/PSB sun.

Old 21st October 2003, 13:45   #12
sidd
Major Dude

wel.. ill agree with that no worries..

and cylob, the latest stuff, as in the last 3 albums, are all thats really worth listening to. Certainly not just an "ordinary guitar band" no more... in fact, there really isnt much guitar to be heard anymore, concidering they are a 3 guitar band.
Old 21st October 2003, 14:17   #13
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

I take your point on board sidd. I respect your judgement (as you clearly have good taste). So Amnesiac & Kid A are out of the trash can (for now). 1 x listen each on the portable, then back in with the rubbish if needs be.

Old 21st October 2003, 14:56   #14
sidd
Major Dude

tis a deal

dont forget hail to the thief (2003), or am i pushing it now?
Old 21st October 2003, 15:22   #15
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Oh yes, they did release an album this year didn't they. I have it.

Old 22nd October 2003, 13:07   #16
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

I gave Amnesiac a listen on the portable at lunch. What I heard (through the heavy traffic) was buzzing, wailing and slight percussion. "I Might Be Wrong" was good.

Old 23rd October 2003, 10:29   #17
sidd
Major Dude

hmm hmm..
you didnt like "life in a glass house"?

maybe.... maybe.. i have the answer..

your from the uk right..?
radiohead get lots of hype there no?
in australia.. you get 100 people and one of them might have heard paranoid android.. but thats it. I can imagine being put of a band like radiohead because of nme and so such.
Old 23rd October 2003, 11:00   #18
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

You're absolutely right sidd. In the UK (and France) it's Radiohead this, Radiohead that... As seer' said to open the thread, they're hailed as geniuses by seemingly EVERYONE!!!!!

But I haven't given up on their latest albums. I don't write anything off easilly.

Old 23rd October 2003, 11:24   #19
orac

Radiohead brought out 2 great albums... The Bends and OK Computer... By OK Computer they were very successful (like R.E.M. at the time of Automatic for the people).. If you ask me they didn't like the hype so brought out 2 much more low key albums - which I found quite patchy.. now hail to the thief was a bridge to gap the more low key moments with the massive bends/ok computer.. has it worked? probably not..

But... The Bends and Ok computer are fantastic albums.. OK computer being my most favorite..
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2003, 11:42   #20
sidd
Major Dude

hmm.. its different for everyone i guess..

i see ok computer, and particularly the bends, as the poorer albums.. I think they definatly changed direction with KidA, but i also think that they have gotten far better with every release.
Old 24th October 2003, 01:34   #21
Tarron_D
Major Dude

I thought i'd drop my opinion on Radiohead. In my mind Radiohead is a very good band. I don't think there will ever be a time where i'll say, "This is getting old." I've said that about many bands i've listened to over time. I always get back into them later on, but only one band can hold my attention without fail. Its Radiohead. They aren't amazing innovators, mainly because I feel the time for innovation ended quite some time ago. Rock music is rock music, and loosely or not, its gonna stay that way. Radiohead makes songs that showcase a perticular emotion, and while its mainly negative, the songs all have a different story. I like all of their albums, but im blown away by Hail to the Theif. If they have an album that makes you say, "Thats Radiohead.", this is it. It covers a wide range of styles that they have used over the years. Its the most mature, and well played album they have ever done. Its kinda like they sat down, and just chilled for awhile, and just started playing music. Kid A and Amnesiac seemed weird for awhile, but they grew on me. Now im more a fan of their last three albums than their first three. I don't think the hype surrounding them is warranted mainly because no one deserves that kind of hype. Every band has fans that try to explain it, and if someone doesn't like it, its not because their a fucknugget, but because they plain don't like it. Bottom line, Radiohead have released music thats unique regardless of your stance on it. It takes a certain kind of person to appreciate it, and its nothing special if you do appreciate it, your just a fan.

Holy crap that was long.

"If everything I didn't give a shit about died, the only thing that would be left would be me, my dick, and maybe some pizza!" -Two (Visit www.ranting-gryphon.com, it rocks.)
Tarron_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2003, 05:53   #22
sidd
Major Dude

word
Old 27th October 2003, 09:05   #23
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Hail to the Thief is growing on me, slowly... Radiohead are a weird act, what exactly are they???? It's not rock. It's not psychadelia. Possibly lo-fi.

Old 27th October 2003, 09:47   #24
sidd
Major Dude

Who knows

have you got into wolf at the door yet?

(i asks again)
Old 27th October 2003, 10:10   #25
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

I haven't yet identified individual tracks. It's one amorphous mass, sloshing around in it's own bucket. Albums like this require 4 x listens at least, the counter's on 2.

Also, if Wolf at the Door's so good why did they stick it at the end?? It could easilly become a victim of fatigue (I get bored, change the album mid way through, the last tracks are not heard).

Old 27th October 2003, 10:21   #26
sidd
Major Dude

aahhhhh. that is the radiohead callsign..

best track is ALWAYS last.

its always some epic finale.

notice motion picture soundtrack and life in a glass house are also last tracks. on kidA and Amnesiac respectively.
Old 23rd June 2005, 07:17   #27
kurt_yorke84

Send a message via Yahoo to kurt_yorke84
What is the best album of radiohead for you????

mmmm .... no more ... Ok Computer, the pleasure in the sad, the anthem for the mellancollie ... that and more is Ok Computer, one tour for the beautiful and sad world
kurt_yorke84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama