Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you still run Winamp?
Not for years 3 9.38%
Load it up once in a while 10 31.25%
Have used it like religion since Winamp 1 19 59.38%
What's Winamp? 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st November 2013, 18:00   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

Is Winamp on your PC?

Do you still run Winamp?
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 18:28   #2
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

yep but with the years other players have been installed but on most of my computers Winamp is still my main player.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
FORUMRULES
WINAMP
SHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 18:59   #3
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
It's my go-to audio player.

Set up for both music and audiobooks I use it, if not daily, every other day.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 19:51   #4
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I will use no other media player on my computer, only Winamp, on Windows XP, on Windows Vista, on Windows 7, maybe also on Windows 8 (the newest Winamp Versions should work also there). I can only hope, that I will not be forced to use Windows 9 some day...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 21:27   #5
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Only fb2k, mates. I haven't used winamp since 2006.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 03:09   #6
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Winamp for audio
VLC for video
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 03:21   #7
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Yup. And the same skin for YEARS.

http://www.winamp.com/skin/steel-this-amp-v5/144519

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 03:51   #8
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

Winamp is still my default music player and my main CD burner. I use foobar2000 for listening to playlists, however. If I want to play a single mp3, Winamp opens.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 04:00   #9
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I use Winamp to manage the music on my laptop and our various Android devices. That said, like someone at Ars Technica commented, my days of being interested in poring over X-thousand songs in a massive library are over, so I only fire it up "once in a while."

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 04:16   #10
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

TBH, I'm surprised AOL has kept Winamp alive this long. It seems like the days of traditional media players are over. With everything moving to cloud music/streaming services and mobile, there just isn't much of a market for a desktop media player, like Winamp. It's had a nice run, but I guess all things must end eventually.

And, in a bit of a coincidence, I found out about the death of Winamp through Engadget, another AOL property.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 04:56   #11
sgtfuzzbubble011

I refuse to rely on streaming for my music. I'll be using Winamp for a very long time to come.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 06:41   #12
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Been using Winamp since AOL put it on their CDs back in the late 90s. Even use it on my phone now.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:00   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

There is part of the thing. Circa 00 I had a computer hooked to my stereo. Now it's a retired iPhone 3G. I really liked the Android app. Hmm... If I asked this question on any of my webs, I would have got more answers.

Winamp is dead. Nice knowing you. Nice seeing some of you kids grow up.
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:15   #14
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

If I had my stereo my computer would be hooked to it. I miss my stereo.

There is no sig.
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:16   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm still running an old skul. It's smoked a lot of speakers over the yrs. I dunno... a stereo with 7 channels and optical inputs... would it really sound better?
u
http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/36627.htm

Like Winamp was the greatest media player of it's era, this was just about the most brutal receiver you could buy in 1994. 150 watt/chan 0.09% THD. This bastard is a speaker smoker because if you've had a couple too many beers.... you can go to about 300 if you don't mind burned speakers.

But it's either ready for a retire or a rebuild too.

I don't know if it ever whipped a llama's ass, but it sure made it's butt pucker... Actually has broken windows.,. It has some half way decent polk towers I picked up a few years ago when I was still living in America instead of Obamistan.

God Bless or for those of you who would take offense at God, may the seat of your pants not turn into a scorpion.
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:48   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

I have an Optimus STA 5500. It's sitting in the basement gathering cobwebs, haven't turned in on in years. It was a great amp back in the day.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:12   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

No. That was the 50 watt amp with a half a percent distortion... This was the $600 one. Considering it will turn 20 next year, not a bad buy. Back when Radioshack actually and briefly sold things worth buying.

This thing had a metal tape deck.. 100 CD changer... EQ.. turntable... 50 lbs of obsolete, but the amp is still a champ even by modern standards unless you wanted more than 2.1.

I bought a pair of $500 buckish Polk towers and use it with a 15" passive subwoofer. Nobody I know sounds better. Not even close.
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:01   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Yes, yours is definitely the monster ... THX certifiable!

I was living in an apartment when I got mine. Anything more and the landlord would have kicked me out.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:43   #19
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

I have a Kenwood KM/KC 106 amp/preamp. Up to 150watts/channel. With my Yamaha speakers and sub I like how it sounds. Though it hasn't been used in almost 3 years.

There is no sig.
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:39   #20
CJ_Man

Winamp is king for all my audio needs as has been for years.
CJ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:02   #21
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Frank and I have still our hifi systems, not very big and powerful, but good enough for our needs.

4 days ago our very expensive 24-channel analog studio mixer from Yamaha got broken totally (after 11 years). Without studio-mixer no new music from our music-studio with our hardware-synthesizers (many of them don't work correctly anymore, too). I have still my musician-software & VST-plugins together with my video-software on my Workstation PC.

But as long as I can, I will still use Winamp...

Old 23rd November 2013, 14:36   #22
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Poll doesn't have an option for "stopped using it for a while then recently started again." Shoutcast in particular is great for listening to at work. Sad to see it go just as I was trying to get back into skinning.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 08:50   #23
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiHann View Post
Sad to see it go just as I was trying to get back into skinning.
AOL has announced that it intends to stop paying for further Winamp development and providing servers for this forum and other Winamp online services. No one knows what will really happen.

Winamp (the desktop app at least) will continue, go ahead with making new skins. An alternate forum site (link below) had already been started by 1 of the main Winamp developers and a dedicated Winamp user. This site will be able to answer questions about the final AOL supported version, promote further development via plug-ins, and allow users to help users just like this site has for years. Other sites are springing up too. Winamp is not dead yet! Those who really love it, will not let that happen.

http://winampforum.com/index.php

Old 24th November 2013, 09:09   #24
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
An alternate forum site (link below) had already been started by 1 of the main Winamp developers and a dedicated Winamp user.
Which is in violation of the AMP trademark which AOL and Winamp don't own... and reliant on a final binary AOL doesn't own critical parts of.... such as codecs... etc.. They licensed these technologies.

Unless MS comes to the rescue..... Hell... unless AOL had come to the rescue so many years ago.

Remember? Winamp might have died long ago while it was skating legality until AOL came along. You could fly by the seat of your pants a little in the 90's. It's not the 90's.

Is the "free" aac encoder in shoutcast still free? Are our MP3 licenses still valid?

I'll remind you guys you couldn't host videolan.org in the US. It violates a grip of software patents. So does Winamp after Dec. 20 when it leaves AOL paying licenses. One of those licenses is the right to use the AMP brand in Winamp. Other licenses include video and audio codecs AOL doesn't own.

AOL is not kidding when they say you need to grab your copy by 12/20.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 24th November 2013 at 10:35.
Old 24th November 2013, 10:40   #25
azerty2005

Definitely YES!
From initial release April 21, 1997 until this day.
azerty2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 11:54   #26
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
A forum for a binary you can't distribute because someone, anyone in the Winamp food chain...objects.
There are plenty of successful websites without corporate sponsors.

Why does a website need to distribute a product in order to discuss it? There is freedom of speech in the USA. How can a website (hosted in another country) be shutdown in the USA for discussing Winamp (a digital media player)?

How do you limit a website to only those who download anything by a certain date? Why would anyone try too?

Sure, we all 'agree' to terms of use to install any software. Who even reads these these things, much less fully abides by them. Those who want the final release after AOL pulls the plug will still be able to get it, legal or not. Who is going to try and prove when or how someone acquired Winamp (a digital media player, free to the user)? How do you stop anyone (especially in another country) from providing a new plug-in for Winamp after AOL pulls the plug?

Intellectual property rights and reasonable usage fees should be honored. But we've yet to find a way to do that on a world wide basis for things trafficked on the net.

Sure, Winamp currently contains things that require license fees be paid. Are you saying these things have a built-in kill switch to make them stop working if the fees are not paid? I agree that the owners of these things deserve to be paid. But how does that happen when there are no legal distributors of record. You expect Winamp (still used by several hundred thousand, if not millions, world wide) to disappear because there are no legal distributors?

You can't stop people from sharing between each other on a small scale. Large scale will just go underground, if the demand is there. In the USA, we can't even get a legal distributor in 1 state to paid taxes to another state for what their customers in the other state buy. Illinois is using the 'honor system' (self declare what you buy over the net out of state). Guess how well that's working!

Anyway, there are free alternatives for all the important stuff. Winamp may even be 'adopted' by those in a country with a different view on such things. "VLC" comes to mind in this respect, but who knows what they really do about such matters.

Nothing lasts forever, but even if Winamp becomes a niche product, I expect to spend many more years using and enjoying it, one way or another. That is my hope anyway.

You are getting some ad revenue from the sites you host. You want to get rich doing that? Good luck.

AOL ownership got back their investment in Winamp. If they didn't make the profit they were looking for, it was their own fault. They should just sell it to someone else (who may do a better job of making money with it) and take what they can get. If they still think its worth a huge amount, why try to shut it down?

Old 2nd December 2013, 03:49   #27
JpopGirl

I have Winamp on all my PC and Lappys
JpopGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 04:41   #28
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Just used Winamp yesterday to convert a 70+ minute AAC audio file to wav so I could edit it.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:38   #29
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

A little old story...

Some years ago I had known many people, but the most of them didn't have a computer, only a few. I visited less than 10 of them, who had a computer, but I never saw them listening to music on their computer. I don't see the most of these people anymore. Some of them have moved to another city, many others had retired.

January 2009 Frank had installed the Real Player for the pre-listenings on Amazon, later Amazon didn't require the Real Player anymore. But we had been invited to some weekly radio shows, before a friend changed to another radio station. Another friend had already mentioned, that there would be a very good software to listen to internet radio. This year I have found his old textes again. Before 2009 I had never listened to internet radio.

August 2009 I bought my PC (Windows Vista), on 21st July 2010 I connected also my PC with our WLAN-Router, and 1 day later I learned to know Winamp. Before that day I saw already the 3 icons of Winamp, Windows Media Player, Real Player on many radio websites, and I had been invited to listen many times. In that time I began also to use MP3s, after I had already used WAVs. Until 2009 I had always thought, that I would only use CDs and never MP3s.

October 2011 I bought my notebook (Windows 7) and 2 bed-tables, because I wanted to listen to the music also in the bed. From 31st October until 1st November I copied all my files also onto my notebook. Finally I was able to listen & watch also in the bed.

I will continue with listen & watch, be it at my Workstation PC, be it with my notebook in the bed.

Some musicians share the bed with their guitars, keyboards and valve amps, I myself share the bed with Winamp...

Old 3rd December 2013, 00:26   #30
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
AOL ownership got back their investment in Winamp.
Which they bought for 10's of millions of dollars. You don't think a lawyer is gonna stick a stamp on an envelope to protect a trademark that is still worth let's say ... more than nothing... More than a stamp. Perhaps conservatively still a few million bucks.

I think you guys are high.

Even if AOL could vacate a trademark they don't own... somebody is gonna care. Somebody is gonna spend 4 bits, stick a stamp on an envelope, send it to your ISP and that will be fucking all.

AOL is trying to sell Nullsoft. That means money. That means more than postage. The AMP trademark isn't even owned by AOL. That company is selling AMP branded products. Somebody mentioned to me in this discussion that there are Ford enthusiast web sites. Ford doesn't run forums or make a media player or establish brands based on internet traffic. A Ford forum doesn't create brand ambiguity. Ford makes cars.

You could wish this brand could be abandoned to the users. You could think that was justice. I think... Fat chance!

For an example. I offer $5000 for these tradenames. You think I'm not gonna stick a stamp on an envelope and stop you from using my trademarks?

Again. I think you guys have been smoking some shit.

It must be a warm, fuzzy place where you can compromise multi-million dollar trademarks and not get your ass handed to you.

Wake up.
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:46   #31
DrO

and how many times do you need to be told that Winamp is not 'AMP'. the two are completely different trademarks and all of that and was explicitly ensured that was the case when they went through changing from 'WinAMP' to 'WinAmp' to the now decade old 'Winamp'.

so do keep banging on about things, but no one cares what you say anymore and it's clearly you're the one 'smoking some shit'.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:49   #32
rockouthippie
Banned

Amp, a registered trademark of Playsystems Inc. that AOL licensed to be able to call Winamp...WinAMP. A company that has it's own AMP branded products.

For you to be right and me to be wrong the brand would have to be completely worthless. I think it's still worth a few million. More than a stamp.
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:50   #33
DrO

and there has not been anything called 'WinAMP' for over a decade (in fact more than that, but definitely there was no 'WinAMP' product when v5.0 was released). so again, rather than being a douche and perpetually sticking to your up your own arse guns, read what people are telling you!
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:54   #34
rockouthippie
Banned

AMP... a registered trademark of Playsystems Inc. Licensed to AOL so that they could call WinAMP Winamp. Remember Apple didn't want to pay and changed MacAMP to MacCast.

If this was a completely worthless brand I think you could do whatever you want. But I think it's far from worthless.
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:59   #35
DrO

*yawn* it must be wonderful living in that reality bubble of yours.
Old 3rd December 2013, 01:00   #36
rockouthippie
Banned

Just wait for your takedown notice. If you want help making a sustainable board that isn't gonna get creamed the first time a lawyer scratches his scrotum...... I'm in.
Old 3rd December 2013, 01:08   #37
DrO

excellent, we won't have to deal with you ever again, yipee
Old 3rd December 2013, 06:45   #38
rockouthippie
Banned

I've said enough. Good luck.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions