Old 28th November 2007, 13:33   #1
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

GTA series: getting started

Ok, questions for the GTA pundits, if any

I've never played a GTA game so far. The thing I've always wondered about is: is there any kind of real objective to the game or is it just a series of assignments?

Also, which GTA game should I try first (got a PS2 and PSP)?

Thanks for any info
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 14:57   #2
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

any game can be perceived as a series of assignments. there is an over-arching goal in each of the gta games, though usually superficial. if you want to go with the seminal installment, ground floor, go with gta III. if your looking to go for what seems to be a better assembled experience, definitely go with san adreas. ps2 is the preferred version of gta:sa anyway.

im no pundit, but ive played the games... somewhat. i dont like vice city too much; the 80's bother me, and i havent played the "stories" iterations, but those are set in the same cities as 3 and vice city, and imagine aren't very distinctive from those games respectively.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 15:42   #3
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

forget the "stories". go with GTA III or get SA. SA has a pretty big world and many secondary missions (collect things, driving lessons and so on) and GTA III is "classic".
The main goal are the main missions but you can start many secondary missions during the game or simply cruise thru tha city or start massakas.

Have fun playing! (for SA, it's a good while to 100%)
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 17:00   #4
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Thanks guys
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 17:20   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Vice City worked for me, totally loved it, maybe it was because I was a child of the 80's...

SA was good also, but it didn't engage me as much as VC did..
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 21:00   #6
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Vice City and San Andreas are my personal favorites, but this is how I break it down; Vice City has the best story/character/voice actor cast, but San Andreas has the best gameplay ergonomics (Although this has more to do with game production trial and error, given that Rockstar had time to tweak around with 3 and Vice City before coming to San Andreas)...

I just must be a sucker for the subtropical-1980s setting of Vice City, and it does have a great soundtrack (VRock FTW...Slayer! Maiden! Priest!)...A lot of great voice actors that makes for an entertaining experience (I actually just learned over the weekend that Ms. Cleo was a voice actor in that game)...Some of the controls are a bit jiffy; I kinda don't like how some weapons like the Mini-14 and the M4 can't auto-lock, and fighting someone in the game with your fists is no different than a retard trying to fight...Driving physics weren't packed down yet by that game either...But that doesn't mean it still can't be enjoyed...I havn't played it in a while because that street race mission against Hillary is a bitch... >_<

San Andreas can also be enjoyed too (Which is what I'm playing right now; Actually, change that to "What I'm BSing with right now")...Not as many notable actors lending their voices (Aside from the fact that Samuel L. Jackson plays Officer Tenpenny ), and the storyline may be something else (The dirty thug gangbanger life ain't as cheery as being in a high-life mafia, but that's my personal opinion ), but the gameplay ergonomics makes it very exciting to play...The controls are a lot easier to work with, and there are also a lot of other control features added to the game that weren't in Vice City...I like the level of customization in the game, such as car mods and buying clothes, and even working up stats (a-la RPG), so there's a lot of BS time to be had with that...Driving physics are also a little more realistic (As well as the physics for most anything that you can pilot/drive), and there are more to pilot than just cars (Like trains and planes and even peddle bikes; The Hydra being really fun to fuck around in )...San Andreas has a lot of map to cover, so you never seem like you're going around in small-ringed circles once you start getting used to your suroundings, although it is kinda frustrating having to travel around, especially when it seems like going from one mission place to another is like traveling across the world...

I'd say go with either Vice City or San Andreas...

Vice City Stories looks kinda cool to me, but I don't know if it's a good play or not, since I havn't played it yet...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 07:03   #7
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
is it just me or are there less stunts to complete in SA vs VC?

either that or they're just WAAAAAY less obvious...

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 07:44   #8
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I thought that as well, never really put that much effort into stunts, but did manage to crack most of them in VC, if that's because they were more obvious or not I don't know, maybe it's because the map was soooo damd big you missed most of them

'Seer, if you want a great GTA experience, I'd go with VC to start with, play that to death to see if you enjoy the experience and then move onto SA for a larger more time consuming game.

Don't go for GTAIII, I did, didn't enjoy it one bit, but maybe that was because I went backwards from VC to III and just found it to be too much of a step back.

Forget stories, I've played Liberty City Stories and couldn't get on with it at all, again, it felt like a step back after VC and SA
Old 29th November 2007, 13:41   #9
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

I started with GTA III which i played at my friends computer. i completed VC with 100% and played SA a bit. the world of SA is really big, so there is much stuff to do.
One thing i dont like bout SA: the weapon souds are totally crap. destroys the GTA fealing a bit for me.
Old 30th November 2007, 08:10   #10
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

am i the only one who thought SA was a little too big to be fun to explore?

Old 30th November 2007, 09:10   #11
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

No, I've mentioned in other threads that I thought SA was just 'too damn much', see what I did there?

They crammed in too much and I think the game suffered a bit because of it
Old 30th November 2007, 13:28   #12
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

yap jones is right. ever tried to find all the secrets? takes weeks even with a map where everything is.
Old 30th November 2007, 16:01   #13
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

i appreciate very much the too damn much, its better than not having enough. in vice city the seams seemed very noticeable. go blow up this building, go start a riot, so on... it felt less obvious that i was a former affiliated that was part of a screwed up deal and was looking to return to good graces. in s.a. however you felt like a gangster kid on about gangster business. and aside from that, plenty to do, plenty to see. mind you i havent played sa as much as vice city, but i dont really play games that much at all anyway.

in regards to 3 ill admit a good deal of its charm lies in its innovation at the time. however, i think that even if you look at it objectively it seems as though that games attitude has come to terms with its puppet strings. you dont feel like they are in the way as much as in v.c.. it seems as though that was just the way the thing was meant to be. v.c. almost seems like trying too hard and not enough.

vice city deserves respect just the same. it was a warm up pace that, jumping from, made s.a. that step up. (in my opinion that is)

Old 30th November 2007, 18:06   #14
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

i hope they don't put too much stuff into GTA VI.
Old 30th November 2007, 18:16   #15
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

What , with a 25gb blue ray disc at their disposal, it's either gonna have the biggest selection of radio stations ever or the map is gonna be the size of Russia.....
Old 1st December 2007, 01:11   #16
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by P$ycHoâ„¢
One thing i dont like bout SA: the weapon souds are totally crap. destroys the GTA fealing a bit for me.
I loved the miniature and subtle detail of the casings in Vice City; I thought that was just so fucking cool...Fire off 30 rounds from the M4 Carbine, watch a stream of disposed casings eject from the side, and even a second after your magazine is empty, you still hear the tinkering of the last few casings drop and roll around the floor...

That's an minor amusement I unfortunatly don't get from San Andreas...

I've been playing San Andreas the past few minutes, bullshitting around with codes and crap...I think I'm gonna pop in Vice City, for old time's sake now...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 1st December 2007, 02:44   #17
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
What , with a 25gb blue ray disc at their disposal the game will tank because noone is willing to pay $200-400 for a new drive
fixed

Old 1st December 2007, 20:23   #18
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

i think he was talking about the ps3. im quite sure that rockstar is building it for the 360 and will port what they have over for the ps3 anyway. all the stuff they have shown (trailers, screen shots) were built for/from the 360 stuff. they have also talked about how the ps3 version will have some extra content right out of the box, but the 360 version will be the version to get the episodic content and what not.

Old 2nd December 2007, 12:18   #19
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
I loved the miniature and subtle detail of the casings in Vice City; I thought that was just so fucking cool...Fire off 30 rounds from the M4 Carbine, watch a stream of disposed casings eject from the side, and even a second after your magazine is empty, you still hear the tinkering of the last few casings drop and roll around the floor...
That's exactly what i mean. Nice to hear that other people think the same about it.
Old 11th December 2007, 23:34   #20
Ghost07

I really don't like the GTA series (except 2) but I'd say just go straight to San Andreas. OR you can wait a while for GTAIV.
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 13:02   #21
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

NO. SA is too much if you play it as the first GTA game. you will too soon loose interrest, if you realize how much you still have to do there.
Old 12th December 2007, 19:21   #22
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Vice City is probably the best starter GTA...Although I had previously screwed around with GTA3 for a short time (Didn't actually play it through mission-by-mission, since it was a weekend rental, and I was just having enough fun with the sandbox gameplay style), VC still has a lot more to do than GTA3 but isn't as overwhelming as SA...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center