Old 22nd October 2010, 09:11   #1
dman777

Well Well Well

Well, well, well...I see the developers of Winamp finally humbled themselves to port Winamp to Linux <even if it isn't for a GNU system>.
dman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:11   #2
DrO

what are you talking about? Winamp hasn't been ported to linux.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:05   #3
thedicemaster

android is linux.
not really regular linux, but it's still the linux kernel running under the hood.
thedicemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:15   #4
DrO

rightio, well i wouldn't really call making an app a port of Winamp as from what i've seen its code is separate to the desktop version's code. if it was a fully fledged player matching what the desktop player does then i might agree but it doesn't (as it just works on the android media apis from what i understand).

-daz
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:03   #5
OzzyFreaK

PowerAMP is using it's own codecs so why can't Winamp??? I might be wrong but I guess PowerAMPs amazing EQ is possible because it's using it's own codecs...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=813504
OzzyFreaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:24   #6
DrO

OzzyFreaK: to have it's own EQ, format support and most of what is being requested by people involves making most of the app manually instead of just piggy-backing on what Android provides through it's apis (hence no flac, no EQ and a number of other things). and it's not like making a new media player from scratch is simple (i believe just making the app as is has been a lot of work by very few people).

-daz
Old 22nd October 2010, 21:25   #7
m2thedeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
OzzyFreaK: to have it's own EQ, format support and most of what is being requested by people involves making most of the app manually instead of just piggy-backing on what Android provides through it's apis (hence no flac, no EQ and a number of other things). and it's not like making a new media player from scratch is simple (i believe just making the app as is has been a lot of work by very few people).

-daz
So does that mean the features that you listed won't be available for the WinAmp app ever?
m2thedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:14   #8
DrO

i don't know what is or isn't going to happen with the app (even less so as i don't have a device capable of using it - am in the old mentality that a phone is just for calls and the odd text). my point is that this is the public version of an app and as such it is going to be limited compared to what everyone wants and it's not that simple to make something either with everything in it from the start (this is why there's new versions of anything software based).

so may be things like an EQ, etc will get implemented but it's not going to happen just like that with the resources available and what is involved to do it (which for a lot of the requests seems to involve making everything custom from the stock apis which droid provides).

just be patient and wait to see what does (or doesn't happen over the next few months) and be happy you've got an app with Winamp branding on it.

-daz
Old 25th October 2010, 19:48   #9
Stupifier
Major Dude

I'M HAPPY!!!!!! YAY!

Progress is progress.....
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 03:04   #10
Examancer

Send a message via ICQ to Examancer
The apps I've seen with EQs warn you that enabling them will drain battery life faster. MixZing is an example of this. I'm guessing the native Android media APIs are taking advantage of hardware assisted decoding for MP3s, conserving battery life, and using a custom codec will use more of the CPU, sucking you dry of precious battery.

The WiFi syncing is the real killer feature of this app. No one has gotten that right yet, and I hope winamp is the one to do it, since I love the desktop player and anything that integrates with it. I just installed everything and haven't played with it yet.
Examancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:04   #11
customyota

+1 on the equalizer being a resource hog. I understand that it's important to some people, but when it comes to my phone, I prefer efficiency. As powerful as modern phones are becoming, they are still easily overtaxed by inefficient programs. Especially Android with its multitasking capabilities. The thing that excited me most when I saw the new Winamp app was its syncing capabilities, wireless or otherwise. That's what I would like to see the bugs worked out of.
customyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android