The problem described here sounds like the same problem I'm having except it occurs when I rescan my music directory from withing Options/Prefs/Media Library/Local Media/Watch Folders/Rescan now, as you described in previous post (I have v5.5 + the in_mp3 plugin patch)
. The problem occurs when scanning the file and not the directories. Also, I tried Begs method and get the same problem but, without info regarding file.
Via the first method above I've noticed that the same song would cause the problem every time. The file plays fine. I can add the song to the library by setting the button "Automatically add played files" and then play thru Windows Explorer's file context menu. The file will then show up in the library. Then scanning the library again just finds another file with the same problem. The previous song forced into the library does not cause any additional problems.
Scanning the specific folder where the problem song resides using File/"Add Media to Library" method allowed it into the library without problems.
As Beg mentioned a log would be good as the single line in the Preferences window is shorter than some filenames. It also provides no info on progress other than watching it scan descendingly or ascendingly and randomly other times.
Before seeing this thread I posted a seperate message where I did a clean install, no 3rd party plugin and no pre-existing library files. The problem still occurs. Here is the link.
I really do not want to start with a new library as there are a lot of ratings info, etc. which have been added to the current library, but not in the files, so they would be lost.