Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 26th October 2003, 11:52   #1
niktheguru

so, is it gonna actually be called winamp "5"

With all the beta hype and stuff people seem to have taken for granted that the new winamp is gonna be called winamp 5. They always said before that this was a "work in progress" name and wasn't final. Have nullsoft finally decided to stick with the "5" tag? It seems so on their beta. I was just wonderin, thats all.

Great work nullsoft....excellent product.(all it needs is the enqueue/dequeue and it'll be perfect!!)

Nikhil
niktheguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2003, 14:55   #2
Dipso

Yea, i think they'll stick with it, and thats just fine by me

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2003, 15:39   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, because it is still Winamp.
ie. it's an upgrade/update to Winamp 2.9x, built on the same core
(unlike Winamp3 which was a new product built from scratch on wasabi)

There will be a Winamp 5.0 Pro, and a Winamp 5.0 Free (or standard/lite)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 08:43   #4
WHEREamI
Major Dude

i thought of something the other day... everyone always complains "what happened to 4?" but i've never seen anyone complain that they skipped 3.0 as well, since, technically, they did, Winamp3 being a separate product and all.

~WHEREamI
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 13:19   #5
Dipso

well, basicly it would be more confusing and missleading (hard to believe i know )if it was called winamp 4.0, or heh even worse 3.0

The "skip" to 5.0 makes people either, think more about it, or ask and get an answer, quite smart imo.

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 17:14   #6
WHEREamI
Major Dude

hmm, that's true. it does make ppl think, or ask. never thought of that.
Old 29th October 2003, 14:32   #7
mark
Forum King

Winamp Classic++
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2003, 15:46   #8
kahless720

winamp 2 + winamp3 = winamp 5
kahless720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2003, 15:51   #9
DrO

how about just a damn good player

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2003, 18:12   #10
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

how about Winamp?

-Plague
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2003, 19:19   #11
WHEREamI
Major Dude

howabout, i don't care anymore. i'm so over it.

~WHEREamI
Old 29th October 2003, 19:41   #12
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

same here, hence my post

-Plague
Old 30th October 2003, 00:06   #13
JHawkZZ

Winamp3 Winamp 3 Winamp 3.0....

What kind of bothers me is that Nullsoft insists that Winamp3 is not, and never was, Winamp 3.0. This may be the case NOW, but it's ridiculously obvious that the original intent was to replace Winamp 2.x with Winamp3/Winamp 3/Winamp 3.0

After the largely dissapointing release (because of being rushed and not being allowed to continue to develop it regularly) it was decided to backtrack and say "well, ok, this is a seperate product, it was not and never will be Winamp 3.0". But be honest, are you telling me it was just a coincedence that you decided to name it Winamp3? You had NO intention of making it the 3.0 version of Winamp? Uh huh.

Now I feel bad, because as a programmer I must admit Winamp3 is an impressive piece of technology. It just needs a lot more TLC which it will now never receive because of Winamp5. Then again maybe the code is a sloppy mess and is too difficult to work with, I don't know.

Anyway, if you want proof that Winamp3 was to be Winamp 3.0, just look at the statement Nullsoft has regarding Winamp for Macintosh, when asked if Winamp for Mac would be Macamp.

They currently say that Winamp is Winamp regardless of the operating system. But look at the About Window for version 1.60, you will see that they were working on "Macamp (the Macintosh version of Winamp)"
(See the attached picture for proof)

So why doesn't Nullsoft just own up to the fact that Winamp3 was ORIGINALLY going to be Winamp 3.0 and replace the 2.9x series?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg about.jpg (54.0 KB, 270 views)
JHawkZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2003, 00:20   #14
Sawg

Winamp3 never was a replacement for 2.X. Maybe one day 2.X was going to be retired, but fundamentally they were totally separate products. In fact, it was originally supposed to be radically different from Winamp 2.X in look too (something like this. It was originally going to be Winamp Studio, hence studio.exe. They were pressured into making it try to be like Winamp 2.X instead of it's own product. Officially named the product name for the public release of Winamp3 is Winamp 3 1.0.0.488. Winamp3 is NOT an upgrade to Winamp 2.X, it is a separate product, if you like it or not.

Also, when Winamp was ported to Mac it was Winamp for Mac (o.71 is still out there somewhere, but it's hard to find).

But a brief history lesson. Dmitry Boldyrev coded a Macintosh MP3 decoder using the AMP engine. Justin Frankel ported it to Windows and called it Winamp. Since then AMP is no longer part of Winamp and there has been Alpha versions for Winamp for Mac (0.71, based off of 2.something) and Winamp3 for Linux. Regardless of the history the product name is Winamp, no matter what OS it gets ported to, the name is Winamp.

I don't see why you are so bothered by it.

Winamp3 is dead; any further development will be in the background and under the name Wasabi Player.
Old 30th October 2003, 00:21   #15
auhsor

Yeah i'm fine with the whole 5 thing
auhsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2003, 01:01   #16
JHawkZZ

I apologize

Wow,

That was really interesting. I apologize for making assumptions, I was wrong. Thanks a lot for giving such a quick and informative reply, it's really great you guys are so active in the forums, I appreciate that.

Was AOL responsible for the pressure to make it look like Winamp, or was that more from the fans? Also, is there any chance of releasing that alpha of "Winamp Studio" shown in that screenshot? That'd be cool!

Lastly, if you want to continue development on it and need a programmer let me know, that'd be fun! I developed my own mp3 player which does a lot of what Winamp3 can do, though this was just working in my spare time between school and work, so it doesn't do everything Winamp3 does, but it's comparable. I'd love to carry on the Winamp3 legacy! =]
Old 30th October 2003, 01:19   #17
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

just start developing, the SDK is there to download and there are alot of Winamp3/Wasabi Player included in it (almost everything actually).
So if there's anything you think should be added to it, just do it..

-Plague
Old 30th October 2003, 01:20   #18
Sawg

The screen shot is actually from a skin based on the screen shots from a pre-alpha back from around 2000. this thread. There is an attachment at the bottom, it won't work.

Not sure where the pressure to change it came from. Either AOL or within Nullsoft. Don't remember

(None of the Mods here work for them, so we really don't know).
Old 30th October 2003, 02:11   #19
JHawkZZ

Cool info, thanks to both of you.

Hey I have a question about Winamp5 actually..Do you know if the scrollbars in the playlist are going to eventually be skinned? I know they are bitmapped right now, but they're not the correct scrollbars that you see if you load the skin in Winamp3. (MMD3 is a good example of this).

Also, are the skinned shortcut menus history?
Old 30th October 2003, 02:23   #20
graigsmith

Send a message via AIM to graigsmith
where can i get this wasabi player?
graigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2003, 02:25   #21
JHawkZZ

You can't
Old 30th October 2003, 02:56   #22
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

sure you can..
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=154449

It's in the first post..

btw: JHawkZZ, I tested your little media player, quite impressive actually..
We could use someone like you working with Wasabi stuffz..

-Plague
Old 30th October 2003, 03:03   #23
JHawkZZ

Oops! Sorry I thought he was referring to the pre-alpha release that Sawg pointed me to above.

Thanks for the comments on Mercury! I'm glad you like it! I really did write it out of my enthusiasm toward Winamp. Winamp just didn't have some features I wanted, and rather than do a plug-in I thought wouldn't it be fun to do an entire player :P

If I get some free time maybe I'll look into doing somethin for Wasabi or Winamp5 or whatever, we'll see what happens. Maybe some of Mercury's things can be added over to Winamp5 or Wasabi Player..
Old 31st October 2003, 00:08   #24
StAnGeR04

Send a message via AIM to StAnGeR04 Send a message via Yahoo to StAnGeR04
why

I can't stand all the times I've seen whiners freaking out .. "What happened to Winamp 4??" ... I try to explain and tell them to read the forums here ..I'll jus have to let them all wallow in their own ignorance ..

I try to explain all this so it doesn't add to the large amount of confusion that's already floating around out there..the more people understand the less aggravation I have to go through hehe

<edit>looks like this post doesn't have much to do with the thread. . sorry..jus needed to rant a lil</edit>
StAnGeR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2003, 19:52   #25
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Sawg: I really wish you'd quit saying winamp3 is dead. at least say it has a reincarnation in Wasabi Player or something. but it's not dead!! and the fact that you keep saying that it is rather bothers me. it gives a false impression, and draws people away from a superior product (just under-developed). I still believe in my winamp3 revolt. Use winamp3 if you like it's features! and if speed is your concern, use winamp 5, but keep in mind it will get slower as they add features, especially those from wa3.

Winamp3 is NOT dead. Please note the dev release of #499c. there IS ongoing work on it.

~WHEREamI
Old 31st October 2003, 19:56   #26
mikm
Major Dude

Apparently, that attachment is a jpeg with the wrong extension. Good image viewers read the header to determine filetype, not the extension.