WA dead?

almost a year without updates
seyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 05:34   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hardly...

Sticky: Winamp 5.7 Beta 7, build 3392 (with Winamp Cloud Beta)

Winamp Labs

:-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 11:26   #3
djpete
Major Dude

WA will never be dead. It's the best music player this side of the Galaxy. Period. Nothing else matches it...nothing, I've tried them all.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 18:39   #4
CJ_Man

Well, I haven't tried them all, but of the ones I have, Winamp is the one I keep returning to.
CJ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 20:39   #5
DrO

Apollo player ftw!!

though really, is the sticky thread which clearly indicates a beta release that hard for people to see? as this is not the first one i've seen from people not seeing the beta thread (despite it being at the top)
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 02:43   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

I'm beginning to believe that those who don't see (read) the sticky, don't read stickies or much of anything else. They just want their concerns addressed, so simply log on and post.

I'm starting to see questions posted that have already been asked on the same page (often only a few posts down).

The Winamp forums are the most friendly and one of the most helpful forums I have ever used. These people are starting to detract from the experience. It's a shame some people wont do the minimum (skim a few posts) to help themselves.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 19:22   #7
DrO

sadly it's just a reflection in the general change of users and wanting instant gratification / answers and if they don't get it, then often by the feedback system, they think it's fine to swear at everyone - got to love how things have changed in the last decade... not.
Old 27th May 2013, 19:40   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi seyss
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 01:12   #9
djpete
Major Dude

Don't lose hope DrO!
I've been doing Parkour (Yep I know I'm too old for that) with a lot of young people for the last 5 yrs and none of them are like that. They are VERY inspiring. And have lots of patience and are very smart.
http://www.parkour.asn.au/

But I agree in part with you. My 15yo daughter is exactly like that, no patience whatsoever...mmm hopefully not from her dad.
:-)

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 30th May 2013, 20:02   #10
DrO

i'm not saying all are like it, but it's more the general trend to be going that way.
Old 7th June 2013, 08:57   #11
MarkRH

I keep looking at that beta thread but have yet to get it. What's kind of funny, probably 95% of what I do with Winamp, the very first version could do. Well.. maybe. Some of the plug-ins I use all the time probably wouldn't have been compatible LOL.

Yeah, kids have it easy now. When I was a kid, I had to type the program into the computer first before I could run it.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 16:05   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@MarkRH: I know what ya mean. Winamp managed to get so much basically right the first time. Personally the reason I keep up with the updates and assist with the beta test is support for new formats. And some of the extra features have been handy for me. Back in the 1990s I used CDs and MP3s on NT4.0. Now it is CDs and FLACs for me on Win7. While starting to play around with those dozens of video types that we just didn't have back then.

I have more music stored on hard disk that the company I worked for in the 1990s had as TOTAL storage across the whole company. (And I am thinking about adding together all the hard disks of all the employees... not just the servers!)

Clearly one of the biggies being dealt with now is this new Win8 OS that MS are knocking out. Even if us oldies don't use it, new machines are being shipped with it. And there is now a huge change in how audio is handled in the OS since the days of Win95.

It is funny how some youngsters expect constant change. Whereas us oldies know that once you get something right you leave it alone. Now I'm off to get out some vinyl to listen to...
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 23:10   #13
djpete
Major Dude

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm vinyl....

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 8th June 2013, 23:44   #14
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Nice Vinyl-Wall...
I remember my childhood with an old tape recorder (with reel-tapes) and an old mono-turntable, here I have a photo for You... http://soundcloud.com/deep-joss-ebp-hungary
While the song Deni Diezer - Morning France is running, I am trying to continue: My father had also an old transistor radio, later his hifi systems. We children got our mono-radio-recorder and 1981 I got my first and only one cassette walkman. Later my parents got a few CDs from us. After the death of my father in March 2003 I brought his old tape recorder and his reel-tapes into our apartment. Frank and I had played some of his reel-tapes. We didn't have internet yet for his PC (2004 we got internet and 2007 we got DSL and our WLAN-router). 2009 I bought my own PC and 2011 my notebook. On the 21st/22nd July 2010 (in the night) I connected also my PC with our router, not knowing yet, that my life would be changed forever (I will never forget that beautiful night anymore)...
Edit: In case the SoundCloud-User will change his profile-picture, You can do also a search under the keywords "braun plattenspieler" and "braun turntable". These are very good results:
http://richepropaganda.blogspot.de/2...radiogram.html
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...un-sk5-002.jpg
http://www.themodernist.co.uk/2011/1...ayer-by-braun/

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 01:34   #15
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
once you get something right you leave it alone.
They never really did get the front end quite right. My hope one day is to get a new front end that's more polished. Otherwise, it works for now.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 01:41   #16
djpete
Major Dude

very specific dates there Sabine. German accuracy. :-)
I can joke about that as my mum is German from Ludwigshafen.
We have been in Aust ever since after the war though.

PS Nice 3 in 1 too.
Ours was something like this...

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 9th June 2013, 03:00   #17
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You, djpete1959...
My aunts in Toronto (Canada, we were there 1976 & 1981) and in Holzweissig near Bitterfeld (East-Part of Germany) didn't have it incl. TV, also not the friends of my parents (1970, 1974 & 1975). My aunt in Toronto and the friends of my parents in Hamburg had a similar phonograph cabinet. My aunt in Holzweissig had a built-in turntable in her retro radio, she had opened it at the top, and then she had played "Peter And The Wolf" for us children, especially I love this very beautiful & musical story so much, also today (I have some YouTube-Favourites)... ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♥♥♥♥♥ ★★★★★
Edit: I've just got the idea to open this new thread now (finally, I had already planned that a while ago):
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=363302
Okay... that's very good... I can edit my post yet, before we will continue in the other thread... my father's old tape recorder with reel-tapes:
http://www.rad-io.de/simonetta.html
http://www.radiomuseum-radiowelt.at/...=608&Itemid=97

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...

Last edited by Sabine Klare; 9th June 2013 at 05:40.
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 02:20   #18
ionamartin123

The title is something I don't want to see. WA is my favorite, I love both it's look and performace. WA will live ever.
ionamartin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion