Old 7th March 2008, 04:16   #41
AlanS

Well I have come up with a new version, again. Since you guys were wanting more security measures.

A popup message will stop you from organizing anything until you physically go into the preferences and click OK. It will not take you there, and it will not allow you to do anything until you go there yourself.

I also did a bunch of testing...but keep in mind I am only limited to my own media library. One thing I was never able to reproduce was the deletion of the file extension. I have no idea why it got rid of your file extensions because it never did it for me, and it almost seems impossible with the way the code is written...but then again anything is possible. Just to make sure though, I added one more check for the file extension. It will attempt to put the original back on, then check if it's on. If it's not, it will attempt to do it again and if unsuccessful it will just add .mp3 regardless of what the original one was. I figure .mp3 is better than nothing because winamp "should" still be able to play it.

I was also unable to get it to delete ANY files without the confirmation coming up. Are you guys sure you have the latest version?? The code is written to bring up the confirmation. Only when the user clicks OK will it delete the files. That means that somewhere winamp is simulating the OK button...which just doesn't seem right. But...just to make sure it doesn't do something you don't want, I made it so it should NEVER delete any hidden or system files. This means that if you set up you're album art files correctly, it won't delete them; no matter what. I also will never delete desktop.ini now.

Also, I would really appreciate a beta tester if anyone is interested. I can only test my own media library, and another one would really help out.

I will release it in a couple of days after even more testing and tweaking. I will also release the source code along with it. (This is part of why I'm not releasing it now. It's not very well documented)

Thank you all for your responses.
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 10:12   #42
Clubstyler

Hi there!

Good to see Album Artist and Discnumber being implemented now.

It would be great if ml_org supports the use of conditionals one day. At the moment I am using Mp3tag to create my music folders, but I would prefer Winamp at any time just if it would be compatible with a more complex format string like this one:
Quote:
D:\Music\$validate($if(%album%,$if2(%band%,%artist%)\%album%\$if(%discnumber%,$left(%discnumber%,1)-,)$num(%track%,2) $if($eql(%track%,Various Artists),$replace(%artist%,/,, ) - ,)%title%,Various Tracks\$replace(%artist%,/,, ) - %title%),_)
I know it will be a lot of work trying to realise this feature - just an idea for the future.

It is really great that somebody is actively developing such a Winamp plug-in now. I have been wanting this for years. Messing with Mp3tag every time I want to change the folders structure is not too comfy.
Clubstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 15:10   #43
AlanS

Quote:
Originally posted by Clubstyler
Hi there!

Good to see Album Artist and Discnumber being implemented now.

It would be great if ml_org supports the use of conditionals one day. At the moment I am using Mp3tag to create my music folders, but I would prefer Winamp at any time just if it would be compatible with a more complex format string like this one:

I know it will be a lot of work trying to realise this feature - just an idea for the future.

It is really great that somebody is actively developing such a Winamp plug-in now. I have been wanting this for years. Messing with Mp3tag every time I want to change the folders structure is not too comfy.
You're not the only one to suggest the use of conditionals. I really really like this idea, but I don't have enough time to spend right now to get that working. Passing calculus is more of a priority, lol.

However, summer is quickly approaching, which means I will have a huge block of time where I am doing absolutely nothing. So who knows what version 3.0 will have!
Old 12th March 2008, 23:21   #44
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally posted by fuze22
I could not figure out where else to post this, but today i downloaded this plug-in (Media Library Organizer) and thought it would be helpful. It also had a Winamp staff review and said approved...

I pressed the organize button and then after it was finished i went to check out the folder i keep all my songs in and noticed that all my file extensions had been erased. so now i have over a thousand songs that got organized and there names changed and thus the extension were erased.

im guessing whoever made this didn't test it on a computer that has there file extensions showing and changeable. i know windows xp has the file extensions hidden by default.

so do i now have to go and change all my files manually?
here is a link to the plug-in and a picture to help understand what i am talking about.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/203429/reviews
[img=http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1087/bugsv9.th.jpg]
as you can see i fixed the first file by putting back the .mp3 and i can play the song again.

I know this is not Winamps fault but i cant figure out how to contact the person that made this and also i think people should be warned before they use this.

-fuze22
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 23:47   #45
AlanS

Ok guys, I have worked on the safety of the plugin. It won't delete any file anymore -- it just sends them to the recycle bin if you chose to do anything with them at all.

If you find that your album art and desktop.ini files are missing, then look harder. It is NOT deleting them. It's just moving the music files and the album art is not moving with it (the album art is not stored in the library).

You HAVE to go into the options and configure the plugin before it's run. It won't let you run the plugin without at least looking at the options.

I don't understand how it was deleting the file extensions, but I threw in two more checks to make sure they are there. If they are not, then it will just add a ".mp3" to the end. Because any music extension is better than no music extension. I even tested it on .wav, .mp4, and .flac. All of the files had the correct extension at the end.

I had a couple of my friends test the plugin on their libraries and their computers, and everything worked perfectly.

Also, make sure you have the most recent winamp! -- 5.52 at the time of writing.

I am very sorry if you lost your file extensions. There is a tool called Tag&Rename that you can use to change them back. You can get it at www.softpointer.com. You can also use Rename Master (http://www.joejoesoft.com).

The newest version, along with the source, is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ml_org.zip (111.3 KB, 2599 views)

Last edited by AlanS; 13th March 2008 at 00:43.
Old 14th March 2008, 23:34   #46
jva

Many thanks for this great plug-in. I can now finally remove iTunes from my system.
jva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 21:35   #47
Dainonas

Thanks for developing this very useful plugin.
I can't set to move all my files from different folders (for example from my "downloads" folder) to my main folder of Mp3, which is in "D:\Music\". For example "<Artist>\<Album>\<Track2> <Title>" - this creates artist, album ... folders in active folder, there actual mp3 is (it will organize files in my "downloads" folder. But I want this plugin to move all my files to "D:\Music\_organized\..." from my "downloads" folder. I tired to use path like "D:\Music\_organized\<Artist>\<Album>\<Artist> - <Title>" in settings (organization rules), but this doesn't work. plugin does nothing then I use "Drive letter:\ " in rule format string. Can You help me?
Dainonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 01:18   #48
AlanS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dainonas
Thanks for developing this very useful plugin.
I can't set to move all my files from different folders (for example from my "downloads" folder) to my main folder of Mp3, which is in "D:\Music\". For example "<Artist>\<Album>\<Track2> <Title>" - this creates artist, album ... folders in active folder, there actual mp3 is (it will organize files in my "downloads" folder. But I want this plugin to move all my files to "D:\Music\_organized\..." from my "downloads" folder. I tired to use path like "D:\Music\_organized\<Artist>\<Album>\<Artist> - <Title>" in settings (organization rules), but this doesn't work. plugin does nothing then I use "Drive letter:\ " in rule format string. Can You help me?
If I understood you correctly, then you should be able to solve your problem by selecting the "Use Base Path" option in the Advanced Options. Just make your base path D:\Music and you should be good to go.
Old 30th April 2008, 05:26   #49
Neuwk

Send a message via ICQ to Neuwk
Thanks Man

Big Thanks man you just saved me days of sorting out my Music!!!

Neuwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 11:54   #50
TwilightInZero

I'd really like to see Unicode support in this plugin, so I can use it to sort my Japanese music.
TwilightInZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 19:28   #51
Shonjir

Quote:
Originally posted by AlanS
You're not the only one to suggest the use of conditionals. I really really like this idea, but I don't have enough time to spend right now to get that working. Passing calculus is more of a priority, lol.
I'm new here - been looking for a good organizer for a while and stumbled on ml_org. Cool tool! It's pretty close to what I needed, except for a few features. I'd previously tried the Musicbrainz Picard tagger (and some other related projects) but found Musicbrainz to be lacking in the accuracy department. Winamp+Gracenote rocks!

I really liked the programmable formatting from those tools; ml_org's tagging was close, but it lacked the flexibility of the conditional tagging capabilities.

So, I've added conditional tagging (and other functionality) to ml_org. It wasn't really that hard; just leveraged the existing Winamp advanced title formatting functions. (I love open-source!)

Let me know how (or if) you wants to integrate my changes into the codebase for the next release (I've sent you a PM).

If you don't have time right now, I can post my updates as an intermediate version. It's fully backwards compatible with existing installations.
Shonjir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 00:14   #52
SimAda00

Could someone provide me with the sourcecode for this, with all the additional requirements ie the lib files and so on. As im currently having difficulty compiling the latest version source with the lib files from one of the first versions.
SimAda00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 11:05   #53
Alachas

What happens if you try to rename a file containing an invalid character, for example '?', '*' or '/' ?

For example, if I have a track named "Is That You?", how would the file get named? Would it simply leave out the "?" or would the file not get renamed/moved?

Cheers,

Alachas
Alachas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 10:23   #54
Alachas

Just did a test run on one file, it simply leaves out the invalid character

Should've just tried this in the first place.

Also, excellent work on the plug-in, AlanS. Much props.
Old 5th August 2008, 15:29   #55
JoshuaDaniel

ml_org just now erased over 17.0 Gb of music. I had it organize my 50+ Gb library and after it was done it asked to send some ~3,400 files to the recycle bin. Since it was to the recycle bin I decided "heck, why not, if it goofed up I can restore the files." Lo and behold, it did goof up. In more ways than one. It seemingly randomly designated files as duplicates and then placed about 200 files in the recycle bin, leaving ~3,200 files unaccounted for - none of which were duplicates and none of which exist anywhere on my harddrive.

Initial scans to recover the files have failed and I'm now doing a deep scan.

A lot of this music was rare and I was the only seed. This has really really pissed me off.
JoshuaDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 16:18   #56
JoshuaDaniel

With a deep scan I managed to recover most of the files (a few insignificant ones are still missing here and there), but now their folder hierarchy is destroyed. The irony is that I can't use your media library organize to try and fix everything >_<

I'm going to reopen iTunes (guh) and let it organize everything
Old 7th August 2008, 16:11   #57
JoshuaDaniel

Alright, problem solved and all music restored.

I used iTunes to restore what files I could to their rightful places. Some files were still missing, so I cleared my media library, added all files in my root music directory and then used ml_ipod to copy all songs not in my media library (ie all songs I wasn't able to restore and sort using iTunes) to my HD. Then I once again cleared my library and added it all back into WinAmp.

I suspect that all of this hullabaloo was caused by the fact that the drive I was storing my music on was very nearly full. I'll back up my library and try to organize it after adding in some unorganized files.
Old 24th January 2009, 02:37   #58
narfnarfsilly

Quote:
Originally posted by Alachas
What happens if you try to rename a file containing an invalid character, for example '?', '*' or '/' ?
I've had a different problem with mp3 files whose *tags* have non-standard characters - and by that I mean characters with diacritics, like é or other letters used in European alphabets but not the American English alphabet.

When this plugin attempts to move a file with a non-standard character in the tags, it crashes

BUT that's with version 1.0 (I never knew about these newer versions or that it was picked up for development by someone else!) so that may not happen with the newest beta. I'm worried though, because I haven't seen this particular bug reported - that bug was for the file name - not names in tags.

I'll back up my files and ratings library and test it out..

You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. donut?
narfnarfsilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 05:34   #59
narfnarfsilly

No, I don't get that problem now. Sweet

You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. donut?
Old 28th January 2009, 03:42   #60
dollarxgeneral

This does not work at all on my system. I have tried everything I can think of trying to get it to work and still nothings. It always says that the files were processed but then when I go in the folder, nothing has changed at all.
dollarxgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 01:44   #61
narfnarfsilly

What base folder have you set in preferences?

What have you set up under Organization Rules?

These can be found by right-clicking winamp->options->preferences->plugins->media library->double click media library organizer->set things up in the various tabs.

I assume you may already know these and have set them up, but essentially your post only says it doesn't work - so I don't know for sure what you've tried, etc.

Old 29th January 2009, 04:20   #62
dollarxgeneral

My base path is E:\Music (where all my music is)

Files to organize "type == .mp3"

Organization Rules Condition "<Artist> <Album> <Title>"
Format String "<Artist> <Album> <Title>"

Not really sure what to do but the organization rules really confuse me.
dollarxgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 21:16   #63
/usr/bin/Tux

Just a quick idea:
Winamp looks for album art in {audio folder}\{album}.{ext} by default, so maybe this is a way to make the plug-in work with album art...

Winamp user since v1.something.
/usr/bin/Tux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 01:58   #64
AMDphreak

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

NO MORE ITUNES!

It sucks at this job, anyway, because it can't organize my FLAC collection.
AMDphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 18:15   #65
hoo87

Thank you so much for this plug-in, exactly what I was after!

Are you still developing it AlanS? Seems it's died off a bit judging by how old the posts are...
hoo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 03:07   #66
Alachas

Transfer Settings

I was wondering, is it possible to transfer the settings from one PC to another? I love this plug-in and have a lot of rules set up for it and I don't particularly want to have to re-type them all again.

I've tried copying across the files ("ml_org.dll" and the "src" folder) which does enables ml_org on the new PC, but the rules are blank

Is there some additional file that I am missing?

Cheers,

Alachas
Old 11th June 2009, 08:25   #67
o_spring

It seems there is a bug with files stored on a network share : the \\ at the start of the path is becoming a single \ when reorganizing. So that the path is becoming invalid in the library.

Another improvement could be to maintain album additional files such as cover art image files or text files (for example, when moving a file, copy addtional files in the same folder to the destination path, if they dot not exist already in the destination folder. Thus, if an entire album was already in the same folder with additional files, they would follow in the destination folder path....

thanks for the already good job done,

O_Spring
o_spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 14:10   #68
o_spring

I have tried to investigate the source files to correct the bugs but it seems they are incomplete.... does someone has the complete source code of the lastest release of this plug-in ?
o_spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 20:34   #69
voodoochild461

Many of my file extensions were deleted, thousands actually. I managed to get a bunch back using Rename Master but its still in shambles.

I'm to the point where I wish I never ran the organizer.

Good thing I made a backup a few weeks ago.
voodoochild461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 22:20   #70
osmosis
Major Dude

It`s a damn shame this plugin never got album art support.. It`s sooooo close to being THE most handy plugin for an iTunes convertee or lazy mp3 user.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 08:02   #71
DomTheBomb

I'm using this plugin (on x64 Vista, which could be the issue) and my library is about 27000 items, when organising them, it gets to 8892, and then crashes.

Any help appreciated.
DomTheBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 22:45   #72
tiefighter88

Update location of files

Gday,

Beautiful plugin!!! Just one difficulty i have.

After physically moving the songs in my media library with the ml_org plugin, the song location is not updated in the info.

Ie: I have to rescan the library to find the songs again, which destroys my playlists, because each song location is not updated after the ml_org physically moves them.

Is there a work around for this?
tiefighter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 14:04   #73
kabayan

Awesome plugin Tnx AlanS, screw Apple's iTune this one is more powerful tool to organize ML.
I have no problem whatsoever with this plugin but I would like to advice first time user not to move the tracks on first use. Try experiment first with few tracks before organizing the whole library.
Got some suggestion for this plugin:
1. Make file rename optional maybe add <filename> to format so to preserve original name.
2. add copy/duplicate rule (for faster editing adding rule). Just happen I make my ML looks like this "rule_0=(type = "0") AND (albumartist begins "A")|A\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track2>-<Title>". Anyway I did it a little faster by adding it 26 times in winamp.ini then edit the letters A to Z .
3. add those format above the format field (clickable) to avoid typo and write an example of the outcome format of the selected format.

All in all this plug in really rocks. I just save 30 gig of disk space cause of duplicate tracks.
will try to play it a little bit more and see if there are some bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefighter88 View Post
Gday,

After physically moving the songs in my media library with the ml_org plugin, the song location is not updated in the info.

Is there a work around for this?
If you add first the base path to your watch folder it will update winamp ML location but not the playlists.
kabayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 20:18   #74
riversea

Hi,
I have a little issue with the plugin, it messes up the play counts, for some tracks it sets it to zero and for others, to a random number.
One of the reasons I used it before was that I was able to rename & organize the files without resetting the play count so if anyone has an idea how to fix it...
Thanks
riversea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 03:55   #75
chookymeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
Ok guys, I have worked on the safety of the plugin. It won't delete any file anymore -- it just sends them to the recycle bin if you chose to do anything with them at all.

If you find that your album art and desktop.ini files are missing, then look harder. It is NOT deleting them. It's just moving the music files and the album art is not moving with it (the album art is not stored in the library).

You HAVE to go into the options and configure the plugin before it's run. It won't let you run the plugin without at least looking at the options.

I don't understand how it was deleting the file extensions, but I threw in two more checks to make sure they are there. If they are not, then it will just add a ".mp3" to the end. Because any music extension is better than no music extension. I even tested it on .wav, .mp4, and .flac. All of the files had the correct extension at the end.

I had a couple of my friends test the plugin on their libraries and their computers, and everything worked perfectly.

Also, make sure you have the most recent winamp! -- 5.52 at the time of writing.

I am very sorry if you lost your file extensions. There is a tool called Tag&Rename that you can use to change them back. You can get it at www.softpointer.com. You can also use Rename Master (http://www.joejoesoft.com).

The newest version, along with the source, is attached.
Hey I was an avid user of your plugin for many years (no idea which versions I used) and I was just wondering why it doesn't seem to be working anymore. I use Winamp to sync to my phone and to play songs from smart and non-smart playlists as well as I love to organise my music folder to get rid of the pointless looking clutter. Problem is the program seems to be bugging out on eg Pink Floyd's album The Wall. I set it up so that my queries are:

!(albumartist == "Various Artists") AND (discs <= 1)
<Artist>\<Album>\<Track2> <Title>

!(albumartist == "Various Artists") AND (discs >= 2)
<Artist>\<Album>\<Disc>-<Track2> <Title>

(albumartist == "Various Artists") AND (discs <= 1)
Various Artists\<Album>\<Track2> <Title>

(albumartist == "Various Artists") AND (discs >= 2)
Various Artists\<Album>\<Disc>-<Track2> <Title>

all acting on Files to organise: type = "0"

for some reason.. it seems to be renaming the files to eg

-01 Hey You
-01 In The Flesh
1-08 Empty Spaces
1-10 One of My Turns
-02 Is There Anybody Out There
-02 The Thin Ice
2-04 Vera

very inconsistent. I for the life of me can't seem to work out what's going on. The tags in Winamp are all complete and the track numbers are eg 1,2,3,4, and the disc column is 1/2,..... 2/2,.......

Anyone know what's going on?
chookymeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 02:04   #76
chookymeister

Tried many other queries involving null values and then I tried changing all the disc numbers to pure values (eg 1,2,3,4,5 rather than 1/5,2/5,3/5,4/5,5/5) but alas it still messed up the filenames as I stated. So I'm using MusicBrain Picard now https://musicbrainz.org/

this video may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvyArCzh-WQ

I highly recommend it to anyone trying out file organising in 2015, just Uncheck the box that says 'Automatically scan new files' under General settings if you don't want it to automatically tag your files.

Besides that this is my query for MusicBrain Picard and it sort files depending on whether album artist is various artists or not, and whether total discs is greater than 1 (ie disc numbers are 1/2 / 3/3 / 4/5)

$if($eq(%albumartist%,Various Artists),%albumartist%,%artist%)/%album%/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),%discnumber%-,)$num(%tracknumber%,2) %title%
Old 1st October 2015, 10:32   #77
chookymeister

edit: my most recent query

$if($eq(%albumartist%,Various Artists),%albumartist%/%album%,%artist%/%album%)/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),%discnumber%-,)$if($eq(%tracknumber%,),,%tracknumber%) %title%
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development