Old 1st July 2016, 19:39   #1
pepanee

Modifying The Big Bento Skin

Hello, I have a question about the Big Bento skin. I'm aware that there's an xml file that has the skin's settings. Yet my question is:

Is there something that I can change to make the Winamp Title Bar be one solid color? I want it to be the color of the bottom halves of what you can see in the picture. I have many different color themes, and they all have a similar effect. Its the correct color, yet the top part is a bright color, and the bottom part is a dark color. I want the whole Title Bar to be the dark color.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winamp Title Bar Colors.png
Views:	104
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	52443  
pepanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 19:11   #2
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

You have 2 ways to do that, but I'll cover the Color editor option (I understand you already installed it no?) since it's easier (and way wayyyy more fun):
- Open the Color Editor
- Right click on the skin you want to modify
- Select CLONE. And for a new name PUT A SINGLE NUMBER (like "5", anything). This is important due to a bug on the app that makes it crash when you use large or alphabetical names when cloning. Don't worry, you can change it later.
- On the right column, go to "Titlebar" and change the color there, as needed. You can use the sliders or go for a radical option ticking "Saturate channels" (as pointed on the screenshot).
- Once done, hit Save.
- Done!

Extra tips for Color editor
Color editor is awesome but buggy on last versions, so there is a couple of tips to keep in mind:
- When cloning use a single number for the new theme. You can change that name after you clone it (Right click > Rename)
- YOU CAN'T clone a custom theme (the new ones you make), it will reverse to default values. There's a workaround but it's a bit more complex.
- You can use the "Export" option to save your themes, but just for the sake of security I recommend you make sure you saved your color edits and close Winamp from time to time, specially when working with a lot of color themes, since a Winamp crash can make you lose all the changes .

So, with that in mind, have fun! =)

PS: My Color Editor is modded, so you may have your buttons on a different place. All my recommendations stand though. My Bento is under invertention too XD.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	change ct.png
Views:	161
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	52444  

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 19:49   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Victhor,

I'm not clear on how to get started. Should Winamp be open with the skin's color theme to be modified before the Color Editor is opened? Then right-click on the Winamp title bar?

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 20:02   #4
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi Victhor,

I'm not clear on how to get started. Should Winamp be open with the skin's color theme to be modified before the Color Editor is opened? Then right-click on the Winamp title bar?
With Color Editor already installed, open Winamp > Main menu > Color editor (to open it).
On the CE window, select (and clone) the theme you want.
Double click the new theme just to be sure that's the currently seen (it will appear usually at top of the list if you used a number for the name).
On the right column, where the gammagroups are, you can scroll to the one that says "Titlebar", select it and you can modify from there.

This page explains a lot of Color themes and C.E. too:
http://www.pawelporwisz.pl/winamp/wi..._themes_en.php

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 2nd July 2016, 21:37   #5
pepanee

Hi thanks for the replies, but in the picture you attached, you can see the title bar is split half and half with two different colors (light black on the top half, and dark black on the bottom half). All my colored themes have that same exact aspect, which means it probably doesn't have to do with the color theme. It must be the skin (Big Bento) itself that has that option to split the title bar horizontally and put two different colors. Thanks for the color theme tutorial, if I need to mess around with that, I'll refer to above.
Old 2nd July 2016, 21:59   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

@Victhor,

Ok, I think I now know enough to start 'playing' with the Color Editor, but it seems a lot like a different kind of 'trial and error'. For example,

1. Picking the right gammagroup is still a guess when the name does not obviously relate to the element it is for.

2. FAQ 9 says: "Why is the resulting color for the graphical element not the color that I see above each slider?

The color you see above each slider is the color you get for a pixel that has the “Preview source color” values for its color channels. To get an accurate result, you should select a previous source color that is approximately the average color of the graphical element you are tweaking. For instance, if you are changing a graphical element that has only red (ie: it has 0 in its green and blue channels), no matter the poxition of the green and blue sliders, it will not change anything in the element. If that happens, you can use one of the two grayscale checkboxes, so that the element will be grayscaled before the color tweak is applied, or you can use the saturate channels checkbox to boost its color channels so that all three sliders will have an effect."

The gammagroups have gray (grayscale) and boost (saturate) values (i.e. 0, 1, or 2) and the Color Editor has checkboxes for max grayscale, avg grayscale, and saturate channels. There is no explanation of the correlation between the values and the checkboxes.

But at least there is an immediate indication of what the color may be after changing the red, green, and blue values and whether a gray and/or boost value will help achieve the desired color.

3. FAQ 11 says: "Why does the red green and blue values for each color group goes from -4096 to +4096 rather than from 0 to 255?

The red green and blue values in the xml for a Color Theme are not a direct representation of the color you get (otherwise, it would make all pixels this value!), they are (arbitrarilly ranged) values that are used to multiply (or divide) each pixels's channel."

I've read this over and over and I still don't know what it means. Negative values arbitrarily multiply each pixels' channel and positive values arbitrarily divides, or the other way around. Whatever, it's still 'Greek' to me.

Old 2nd July 2016, 22:02   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepanee View Post
Hi thanks for the replies, but in the picture you attached, you can see the title bar is split half and half with two different colors (light black on the top half, and dark black on the bottom half). ...
I think that is due to 1 of the gradient gammagroups. But I have no idea which one.

Old 2nd July 2016, 22:04   #8
pepanee

Oh? Okay then I was mistaken I guess.. it's just that I see, I think, all the skins have that same aspect. If in the color editor, you run across this, please reply on here =)

Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:08   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

No, you misunderstand. I agree with you. I think it's more than just the Titlebar gammagroup that is causing it.

Old 2nd July 2016, 22:11   #10
pepanee

Oh lol, I done messed up understanding things. I remember Victor said you can press:
Control + Shift + Right click
on certain things, and it gives you the names for these things. Maybe if you ever come across messing around with that, you can see what happens, yah. And please post back on here.
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:24   #11
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepanee View Post
Oh lol, I done messed up understanding things. I remember Victor said you can press:
Control + Shift + Right click
on certain things, and it gives you the names for these things. Maybe if you ever come across messing around with that, you can see what happens, yah. And please post back on here.
Skinning is complicated stuff actually.. heh.

The Ctrl+Shift+Click is for the ID of the element, not its GAMMAGROUP. The gammagroup is what determines to which COLOR GROUP it belongs. When skinning you can group several items (ergo several IDs) under one single Gammagroup so it's easier to modify all at once.
I.E. when you Ctrl+Shift+Click on the titlebar you'll see something not actually related to the graphic (a mousetrap intended to trigger the double click effect).

The titlebar has 2 parts actually ("background" -base color- and "glow" -the "shine" above-) grouped under one Gammagroup ("Titlebar"). If you force that gammagroup with "Saturate channels" you can make it look like one color. I didn't do exactly that on my screenshot but I thought you would get the idea (it's ALMOST one color, I didn't wanted to go there 'cause it doesn't look that good IMO, but you can do it following my posted guide).

@Aminifu: You're right, it has a bit of trial and error. Color theming is not an axact science but you'll see there are a lot of "constants" so it's not hard in the end.. =)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:31   #12
pepanee

hmh.. you wouldn't mind trying it out for me and figuring out what I have to type in the xml file to edit it? I cannot install the color theme editor since Winamp is located in a different location and the program wont install if it cannot see it in the Program Files. I don't want to go through the hassle of moving Winamp there, installing it, and moving Winamp out again. There's too much that I have to deal with. Can you please mess around with it and see what needs to be done?

You might be right about it not looking so good, but I wanna try out a mono color because I like to see new things.

Thanks bro
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:40   #13
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

I can, but not right now. You'll get there faster if you try it. The Color editor installer DOES LET YOU choose the install path, check the screenshot to see the window.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winamp 5 Color Editor v2.2.1 Setup .png
Views:	105
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	52445  

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:45   #14
pepanee

Okay cool, whenever you get the time, it would be really thoughtful for you to do me this favor please.

This is what happens when I try to install it. Refer to the image:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Color Theme Editor Installaer.png
Views:	89
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	52446  
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:51   #15
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

According to you screenshot that's not the Color editor you're trying to install, that's the Color themes pack. I would point you to the Color editor link but you won't get far if you don't have the Color themes to edit...
So, hold on there..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:56   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Skinning is complicated stuff actually.. heh.

The titlebar has 2 parts actually ("background" -base color- and "glow" -the "shine" above-) grouped under one Gammagroup ("Titlebar"). If you force that gammagroup with "Saturate channels" you can make it look like one color. ...
Yes, skinning and color themes are complicated, but fun to work on in the end. For now, I'll stick with a few of the easier mods here and there.

Thanx for the Bento titlebar info. It would have taken a lot of digging around for me to figure that out.

Last edited by Aminifu; 3rd July 2016 at 00:03.
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:59   #17
pepanee

I found it.. same error =(
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Color Editor Installation.png
Views:	87
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	52447  
Old 3rd July 2016, 00:45   #18
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

D'oh. So it's a Windows 10 thing... Bummer.

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 3rd July 2016, 13:20   #19
ariszlo

Color Editor has not been updated for many years. It is not up to Windows 10 or Winamp releases later than 5.35. So this is what I do: install Windows XP in VMware Player and then install Winamp 5.35 in Windows XP and finally install Color Editor 2.1.0 for Winamp 5.35.
ariszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 16:21   #20
pepanee

I know a simpler method to install the program for Winamp, yet I do not want to go through the assle of all that. I'm just waiting on Victhor for when he gets free time, he can mess around with the program and see what I need to manually edit in the xml file.
Old 5th July 2016, 04:48   #21
pepanee

You know what, I got a chance to mess around with the Color Theme, yet I still see a slight change of color between the top half and the bottom half of the Titlebar still. (It's "Titlebar" that needs to be edited for what I'm talking about.) Yet I agree with Amin, it is the skin itself that has that option enabled that makes the title bar two colors. I just hope someone can find that code in the Bento skin's xml file that would disable that.

I just wanna see what the title bar looks like with a mono color.
Old 5th July 2016, 04:55   #22
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Haha you're getting a bit OCD about it, that's a sign you're good to be a skinner!! XD

The best way to get rid of that glow for good is to use the attached image, replace it on Big Bento\window folder (rename the old PNG in case you want to go back).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window.png
Views:	85
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	52448  

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 5th July 2016, 05:30   #23
pepanee

YES THAT'S EXACTLY IT VICTHOR!!! Thank you so much. I didn't know it was that easy.. I thought it was coded in the settings stating that the top half is a brighter color than the bottom half. Wow, I didn't think it was from the images. Hah.

And nah.. I'm not OCD; I just like beautifying and simplifying the things around me. =D
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins