Old 22nd September 2016, 15:35   #1
WowMachine

Winamp Auto-Tweeting plugin

I've been streaming on shoutcast for a couple of months now, and only in the last few days has the 'auto-tweet' function on the 'social streams' page actually started to work. (http://rmo.shoutcast.com/Settings/Ra...dioUId=xxxxxxx)
However, it seems to be spotty or at least, selective in which filters it will auto-tweet; and depending on the buffer, can take a few minutes before it sends out the tweet.

In other words, the song starts on Winamp, the shoutcast server broadcasts it and sends the artist/title date to shoutcast, and finally (maybe) the auto-tweet function kicks off the "Now Playing" tweets based on the filters I created. The problem is even if someone saw the tweet the moment it was posted, the track it is referring to may already be halfway done or already over.

So how about a plugin to do the auto-tweeting FROM winamp itself?

First off, if Winamp sent the tweet when it starts playing the song, then, depending on the buffer size, someone could then see the tweet, click the link and 'tune in' just before the song starts or soon after it started on the stream.

Also, the shoutcast.com filters allow for artist and/or song title triggers, but I don't think it can be set to tweet with every update... it would be nice to have it an auto-tweet for every track that has Artist and Song Title fields with some default text IN ADDITION to the special filters for certain Artist/Title updates that may have their own hashtags and text.

DSP Artwork tab:
One problem I've noticed when using the 'Send in-stream artwork' function on the 'Artwork' tab on the shoutcast source DSP, IF I use the additional 'Send artwork from the playing file (if available)' function, then my stream listeners hear an audible 'hiccup' at the beginning of each song. It is barely noticeable on music tracks, but on spoken word tracks, the gap can vaporize two words or an entire sentence.

So instead of going through the DSP, it would be nice if the separate auto-tweeting plugin on the Winamp side could also add the tracks' artwork to the tweet if it is available, otherwise, it could include stream's branding artwork.

There is a private, premium service advertised in these forums that does all of these things, but not only do I NOT want to pay $5 a month for them to do it, it seems like their servers would still have the lag on the 'Now Playing' updates as well as the 'hiccup' if I send them artwork to tweet.

TL,dr:
Basically, why can't we reverse-engineer the auto-tweet services for a player-side plugin?

I wouldn't expect all the functions they are offering (facebook,google, et.al.), but rather more specifically, these features:
Post customized Tweets based on Artist/Song Title info from from Winamp.
Add #Hashtags and other text to Tweets based on configurable artist/title filters
Add “Listen Now” links to each Tweet
So called "Flood protection" to avoid posting same song multiple times and/or too many tweets per hour (because Twitter will block a user that tweets more than x per hour).
Bonus:
Add artist/CD images (if available) to each Tweet...otherwise use a 'default' image for each.... this isn't required but would be cool. If this function were added, and it is getting data directly from Winamp instead of the server, then the stream wouldn't have that 'hiccup' gap at the beginning of tracks.

Thanks for reading!
Wow Machine Radio
WowMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 03:57   #2
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
The hiccups from the artwork data is a known issue with the SHOUTcast DSP last time I played with it. I did make a plugin to hook and shrink the artwork down to a more reasonable size but it was a little crashy so I never published it. I might look at it again when I have some time.

If you look around the SHOUTcast subforums you might find one of them Twitter spammer plugins floating around somewhere.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:29   #3
WowMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
The hiccups from the artwork data is a known issue with the SHOUTcast DSP last time I played with it. I did make a plugin to hook and shrink the artwork down to a more reasonable size but it was a little crashy so I never published it. I might look at it again when I have some time.

If you look around the SHOUTcast subforums you might find one of them Twitter spammer plugins floating around somewhere.
I looked around for a bit and only found the paid service.... I did limit my search parameters to only include the last two years because I thought twitter had changed its API side in 2013 or 2014, and didn't figure anything older than that would still work.

I'll keep looking though and keeping my fingers crossed. Like I said, I don't want to pay $5 a month indefinitely, but maybe I can pay someone $15 -$25 on fiverr to build something for me.

Thanks for taking a look for me!
Old 24th September 2016, 16:10   #4
WowMachine

UPDATE:

I have someone from https://getwinamp.com/blog/ interested b/c he also has wanted a winamp plugin for this. It sounds like he already has an idea for the winamp-side, so he's reviewing twitter's API and seeing how he can put them together.

The album-art part maybe too much to ask for, (storage of band/cd art is likely what most of the $5 per month for the premium service goes for) but it was a secondary thought anyway. I'll post updates when I have them.
Old 26th September 2016, 04:50   #5
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowMachine View Post

DSP Artwork tab:
One problem I've noticed when using the 'Send in-stream artwork' function on the 'Artwork' tab on the shoutcast source DSP, IF I use the additional 'Send artwork from the playing file (if available)' function, then my stream listeners hear an audible 'hiccup' ...
The attached experimental plugin installs as a Winamp 5 System Component. It hooks the Album Art API and shrinks all of the album art down to the same size as the selected album art file, which is currently not selectable and defaults to an internally stored "Winamp" image, which is 150x150 px. The selected album art file also serves as replacement art where none exists for a track.

Theoretically, it should stop the SHOUTcast stream hiccups with Album Art.

Download

Last edited by thinktink; 3rd October 2016 at 23:54.
Old 26th September 2016, 22:34   #6
WowMachine

Nice.

Is there a way to change the default internally stored image to my own?
Old 27th September 2016, 00:05   #7
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Nice.

Is there a way to change the default internally stored image to my own?
Yes but it requires manually editing the ini file located in the %appdata%\Winamp\plugins folder. I haven't put in a front-end config UI because as the plugin is a w5s component, the Winamp UI API is unavailable during init/setup.
Old 3rd October 2016, 05:02   #8
thinktink
Forum King

Full version attached. Changes from experimental version is just the ability to set the default art from plugin config.

Download
Attached Files
File Type: zip BogProgAlwaysArt1_0Setup.zip (206.3 KB, 233 views)
Old 19th October 2016, 13:52   #9
WowMachine

I forgot to thank you and say that it works well!

Thanks! Works great!

Wow Machine Radio
Inspired by The Clifford Ball’s Ball Radio, Big Cypress’ Thin Air radio, and Magnaball’s The Bunny, WMR streams Phish-inspired Randomness, WMR is our huge collection of eclectic music, spoken word, and TV/movie quotes playing from a randomized playlist, played on ‘shuffle’ by Winamp v5.666.
Old 19th October 2016, 20:14   #10
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
I forgot to thank you and say that it works well!

Thanks! Works great!
Thanks for letting me know, I was worried my efforts were in vain.
Old 20th October 2016, 04:25   #11
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via AIM to Dr.Flay Send a message via MSN to Dr.Flay Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
possibly you could use an intermediary service like https://tweekly.fm
Instead of getting Shoutcast to deal with tweets, try something else that can be scrobbled to last.fm
Links will contain the artworlk from last.fm

Mashups ? Smells like a lot of "Fishy Business" to me.
Visit my label at www.last.fm/label/Fishy+Business for musical education.
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:36   #12
WowMachine

I'll check it out, meanwhile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Flay View Post
possibly you could use an intermediary service like https://tweekly.fm
Instead of getting Shoutcast to deal with tweets, try something else that can be scrobbled to last.fm
Links will contain the artworlk from last.fm
Okay, I'll look into it. I messed around with Last.fm like, 10 years ago, so I haven't even really kept up with anything that it offers these days. Wow, they've been around for a long time.

Good news is Shoutcast.com's social stream has started to work better....it seemed to 'sputter' to life with a few tweets a couple of weeks ago based on a bunch of filters I created, then they dropped out, and then they started to be pretty regular....Now I need to go back and make more interesting filters. http://twitter.com/WowMachineRadio

Wow Machine Radio
Inspired by The Clifford Ball’s Ball Radio, Big Cypress’ Thin Air radio, and Magnaball’s The Bunny, WMR streams Phish-inspired Randomness, WMR is our huge collection of eclectic music, spoken word, and TV/movie quotes playing from a randomized playlist, played on ‘shuffle’ by Winamp v5.666.
Old 20th June 2017, 17:14   #13
WowMachine

I guess the 'social share' from shoutcast was tied into radionomy's social share, so all the auto tweets I set up on the rmo on shoutcast worked until the beginning of the year. I've been looking through my 'junk' email folder, and I found several from radionomy saying my 'radionomy' account was being suspended and eventually was deleted for never uploading schedules and programming.

When I set up new shoutcast streams and tried to link the 'social share' from them to my twitter account, after approving access to twiiter, I was redirected back to radionomy to 'set up a new station'.

At first, I figure the problem was on shoutcast's end and tried making a couple of posts about it, but didn't hear anything back.... now it seems certain that 'social share' on the rmo on shoutcast IS tied to the radionomy system.

I do have some autotweets set up from lastfm scrobbles using a couple of 3rd party sources, but I'd still prefer to have a tweeting plugin for Winamp itself.

Wow Machine Radio
Old 24th July 2017, 13:29   #14
WowMachine

UPDATE:

I've been using WACUP from good ol' Dr.O and the "play tracking" plugin is working GREAT!!

Exactly what I wanted.

Wow Machine Radio
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
auto-tweets, now playing updates, twitter, wishlist