Old 30th January 2017, 14:48   #41
wasted1228

LC-AAC vs. HE-AAC vs. HE-AAC v2

Hi.

I'm compressing my movies and music archive to free up some space on my hard drive. I use HEVC for my videos, but not sure what AAC profile is suitable for my audio.

I got two questions:

1- Some of my movies have 6CH audio, mostly DTS and AC3 at 1500kbps. Which AAC profile should I choose for a 6CH at 192kbps? HE-AAC, HE-AAC v2 or LC-AAC? I read somewhere that HE-AAC and HE-AAC v2 are only good for low bitrate stereo and mono audio, and LC-AAC is optimized for higher quality. I'm wondering at the same bitrate (let's say 192kbps), does HE-AAC beat LC-AAC, or not, and which one works best for 6CH audio, HE or LC.

2- I have a huge music archive, all of them are MP3 at 320kbps. I wanna re-encode them to HE-AAC or HE-AAC v2 at 64kbps and free up 80% of the space it's taken. First, do I go for HE-AAC or HE-AAC v2, and second, How much details will I lose after converting? Is 64kbps enough or should I bump it to 80 or 96kbps?

Thanks in advance.
wasted1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 23:33   #42
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
if it were me, i would not re-encode the audio, b/c u will lose quality doing so. mp3 is about as universal as it gets and a 320kbps mp3 isn't considered so big these days.

i have np redoing the video. whatever u lose there, u will see, so its not much of a risk, assuming u can revert (to a backup) if theres a problem. but squeezing video makes a lot more sense to me than squeezing audio, esp audio thats already lossy.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 04:39   #43
Aminifu
Forum King

I suggest you let your eyes and ears do the judging.

Make a few copies of some of your movies and mp3s. Pick movies with fast action and mp3s of various genres. Make conversions using each of your options and compare each one to the originals. You will find which options work best for you for certain types of movies and songs.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion